The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
One day I'll learn to hit a controlled fade. Such a useful shot

Its a shot my instructor wants me to play. It's probably the easiest I have been swinging in awhile. When I'm doing it right it's about a 5 yard fade and my miss is a little more but still in play and not worrying about getting behind a tree. Trying to hit a draw just had my swing so out if whack. My goal is to work on hitting a draw when I need it but to keep the fade as my stock shot. I'm starting to feel like I'm not getting stock any more either

It started drizzling when I got to the range this morning so I went to the covered bays. On the good side, they have the new mats now with the thicker area to simulate grass, plus the hard adjustable tees. So that's nice.

On the down side, I couldn't hit anything lower than an 8 iron for some reason. Wedges and 9i-8i were great. Nice height soft landing and right around where I was aiming.

Longer irons were either low and short, or too much of a draw. A few more yards and they would've been hooks.

Driver was a beast, though. It's probably jealous I was pounding a Fly Z the other day and pondering one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hit the range this morning, focus was on driver as I've been really inconsistent with it lately. That focus was on tempo tempo tempo when I kept a good tempo I had good results with just a little cut at the end.

Played around with a big Bertha and liked the feel of it better than my 910 and was more consistent

Great practice session today. I was focused, patient, and deliberate, the opposite of yesterday when I rapidly obliterated balls as a release for work stress. I solved a swing issue where I was forcing the release out and away instead of letting it come around with the swing, causing the opposite effect from what I wanted. I also went back to basics with the lower body. I had been leaking the ball right and losing distance and struggling to figure out why. With the fix, my ball striking was fantastic, and my distances were back. Then I hit a few drives with the rocket launching XR16. If I can put those swings into a round, I'm going to have so much fun.

Just like mtcowdog, I had a much better session today than last time out (either Saturday or Sunday - don't remember). There was a TON of room for improvement though jaja. Highly erratic was a good way of describing that one.

I started off with the step drill, actually hitting balls this way with the 54. I wanted to just make sure to shift weight properly. Continued with the 54 with different trajectories to a flag 82 yards out. Then I started playing around with the old Tour Striker and hit maybe 30 shots with that and moved on to my 8 iron. Every now and then felt I was getting stuck and would go back to the step drill. Lastly I hit some fun shots with the hybrid I'm still getting used to. The 3/4W came last and I pulled a couple, then topped one and just racked that up to a little bit of fatigue. Ended up again with the 54.

It was definitely not perfect but I felt I was getting somewhere at least. Then went off to the putting green for about 20 minutes. I left feeling much better about this session.

Just like mtcowdog, I had a much better session today than last time out (either Saturday or Sunday - don't remember). There was a TON of room for improvement though jaja. Highly erratic was a good way of describing that one.

I started off with the step drill, actually hitting balls this way with the 54. I wanted to just make sure to shift weight properly. Continued with the 54 with different trajectories to a flag 82 yards out. Then I started playing around with the old Tour Striker and hit maybe 30 shots with that and moved on to my 8 iron. Every now and then felt I was getting stuck and would go back to the step drill. Lastly I hit some fun shots with the hybrid I'm still getting used to. The 3/4W came last and I pulled a couple, then topped one and just racked that up to a little bit of fatigue. Ended up again with the 54.

It was definitely not perfect but I felt I was getting somewhere at least. Then went off to the putting green for about 20 minutes. I left feeling much better about this session.

#dowork buddy

Taking a short break at the range right now and just watching others. Anyone else get a big kick out of watching people try to help others when they have an absolutely terrible swing themselves? Hard not to laugh when I'm sitting so close to them!

Spent about an hour with my Driver tonight. Trying to get into a smooth rhythm. I was struggling with trying to take it to pound town. Which put my swing in its a$$. Once I focused on a more compact swing and getting a good release down the line. Things got a whole lot better. Damn game is hard enough, no reason to make it harder by swinging harder.

The THP Range/Practice Thread

Short game: I did that up and down game I described above and was able to get 10 in a row in the hole. My chipping really wasn't all that on point but I was making 3 to 5 foot putts. Still, that is pretty damn good for me.

Range: I saw some signs of life with 3w and irons. It felt like I was doing more of the things my instructor is asking me to do. It was not perfect but it was encouraging.

Spent about an hour with my Driver tonight. Trying to get into a smooth rhythm. I was struggling with trying to take it to pound town. Which put my swing in its a$$. Once I focused on a more compact swing and getting a good release down the line. Things got a whole lot better. Damn game is hard enough, no reason to make it harder by swinging harder.

Good lord I know all of this SO well right now. #ImImpatientInMySwing

Short game: I did that up and down game I described above and was able to get 10 in a row in the hole. My chipping really wasn't all that on point but I was making 3 to 5 foot putts. Still, that is pretty damn good for me.

Range: I saw some signs of life with 3w and irons. It felt like I was doing more of the things my instructor is asking me to do. It was not perfect but it was encouraging.

Keep on working Frank. It'll get there.

Keep on working Frank. It'll get there.
Thanks. I know it's a process but it can still be hard to stay patient at times. And with as sideways as I had gotten with my mechanics it is going to take some time. The mirror work has gotten fairly boring; it was nice to see some payoff in the form of straight, reasonably well compressed balls.

I am trying to be smart about working on short game practice. It helps break up the monotony and is going to be an especially valuable skill as I play while going through these changes.

Last edited:
I have a difficult time having a full finish on my swings. Cutting swings short has been the norm for me increasingly over the past couple years.

Really been trying to groove a smooth full finish swing. Part of it is flexibility, but I think a lot of it is confidence. Give me a wide open fairway, and I can swing freely. If it is tree-lined, or problems in spots, I end up with an abbreviated finish.

Wish I could get that confidence and free swing more often.

I cannot get my irons to stop going left. Straight draws every time. I guess it's better than the banana slice I used to have. I hit a small bucket at lunch and again, everything from 7i down starts straight, then veers 10-15 yards to the left.

I was going to try a solo 9 tomorrow after work but maybe a couple of buckets at the range would be better.

I cannot get my irons to stop going left. Straight draws every time. I guess it's better than the banana slice I used to have. I hit a small bucket at lunch and again, everything from 7i down starts straight, then veers 10-15 yards to the left.

I was going to try a solo 9 tomorrow after work but maybe a couple of buckets at the range would be better.

check ball position and make sure it isn't to far forward. Also could be the hips stopping. I have this issue and it's usually because my hips stop and I end up getting more arms swing.

check ball position and make sure it isn't to far forward. Also could be the hips stopping. I have this issue and it's usually because my hips stop and I end up getting more arms swing.

Ball position is usually just off center, but I've been working a lot on weight shift so hips may be it. I've also always used a strong grip to battle the slice, I'm going to try backing off slightly on that.

On the good side, they're not really hooking. Yet. It's playable, but not preferable.

Ball position is usually just off center, but I've been working a lot on weight shift so hips may be it. I've also always used a strong grip to battle the slice, I'm going to try backing off slightly on that.

On the good side, they're not really hooking. Yet. It's playable, but not preferable.

Sounds like it could be more hips. For me i play 7i thru wedges in center if stance.

Saw some good signs on Monday and wanted to see if I could build on that. Focus was to work on tempo and keeping the swimg smooth. Started off with 60* to hit some pitch shots to a couple small target greens then hit some punch shots with 50* followed by 7 full swings with the 50. Moved to the 9i where I hit 5 punch shots then 10 full swings playing a fade. Swing was very controlled and not getting out front or rushing the transition. Then spent 30 mins with the 6i hitting punch shots to continue feeling the release of the club then would hit some full shots again playing a fade. After 3 rounds the punch shots and the full swings it was all about the full swing. Hit several pulls when my hips stopped an one push fade when I got to quick in transition. After I felt like the swing was consistent I moved to driver to hit 20 balls working on controlled swing to get the feel of the hip bump and rotation. After 12 shots feeling good i hit the next trying to get after it a little but still controlled. The last 15 balls were 3w off the deck and when quick my hips stopped and I hit some pulls but then I slowed it down a gas and was hitting som high straight balls to finish off.

was on off the better range sessions I have had in awhile.

Sounds like it could be more hips. For me i play 7i thru wedges in center if stance.

I think you nailed it brother. Left the house early to hit a small bucket this morning on the way to work and just worked on taking a pause at the top and then just turning all the way through the shot. Tiny draws with irons and pretty much straight with hybos.

I think you nailed it brother. Left the house early to hit a small bucket this morning on the way to work and just worked on taking a pause at the top and then just turning all the way through the shot. Tiny draws with irons and pretty much straight with hybos.

Thats awesome. I know the hip stopping struggle well.

Range session. Had hoped to play today, but another tournament put the breaks on that idea. Anyway, I am hitting the ball center of face really well right now. Shot after shot, impact feels great. But hitting the ball where I think I am aiming -- particularly with long irons -- was like Trump's Twitter posts: Random.

Absolutely great range session tonight. Had conversations with my instructor about my iron play and she suggested speeding up my weight transition to my front foot during the swing. Focused on it tonight and I was pounding the ball with my irons. I was pulling them slightly but was just thrilled with the way I was striking the ball. Started to feel like me again.

While on the range, the teaching pro swung by and joked about where my volleyball was tonight. We ended up chatting and ended up working on 90-100 yard wedge shots along with chipping around the green.

He had me get my back elbow tucked in a little more and my wedge shots from 100 yards to a flag became ridiculously consistent.

Overall just a great night.

I really saw the benefits of all the recent short game practice I've been doing during my round today. It's really great when the stuff on the range makes its way to the course.

I really saw the benefits of the event short game practice today during my round. It's really great when the stuff on the range makes its way to the course.
Truer words have never been spoken. I tend to suffer from a range --> course disconnect most of the time.

Truer words have never been spoken. I tend to suffer from a range --> course disconnect most of the time.
One of the biggest things I noticed relates to the mental game. Before all the practice getting up and down 7 straight times I was probably lazy...had an approach that it would be nice to get up and down but whatever, I'm not taking more than 3. Now I'm more focused, more intent, have an expectation of doing it every time. Not surprisingly, that actually translates into saving strikes on the course.

Range session this morning just doing work on staying short and quiet with the backswing.

Also tested the 3deep against my driver and it's just as long and more accurate than my driver. It's also longer off the deck than my current 3wd is.

Worked quite abit on the wedges controlling distance and flight. Feeling good where my game is at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back