The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to the Par 3 9 hole here and walked it 3 times yesterday. Most holes are 130-95 yards so I am trying to get the distances dialed in with the SCORS. At the end I sat on the last green for probably an hour working on short chips off the fringe, from the rough, and out of the sand.

Today I am going to the range and grabbing at least one large bucket and going through my bag. I have been trying to work on bringing the club straight back in the backswing and have begun working it TOO FAR inside which has really messed up my swing and led to quite a few pulls on the course.

Kicking off an hour early today for an extended range session and a little testing. Focusing on irons as much as possible in the hopes that I'll see some improvement on my approach shots Sunday. My goal in the coming weeks is to get to the 9 GIR range at least once, but hopefully more. I feel like I can do that with the way I've been swinging the driver.

Here's what I do when I'm not being an idiot, so 65% of the time maybe?

Start with stretches.
Some air swings to get loosened up a little more.
Mini swings. I think they are like a 9-3 drill, but teacher never called them that.. I want to see the ball curve left.
Throw in a couple drills that I'm working on to get the feel for what I'm trying to do.
7 iron - preshot routine and hit the ball. Rinse/Repeat.
Once I'm fine with the way I'm hitting the ball I usually play some mock holes at a course I know well. If there's a club that I'm consistently poor with I'll stop and take extra shots with it.
Lately, finishing with pitch shots to avoid taking a bunch of tired swings that leave a bad taste in my mouth.
That's pretty close to mine, assuming I have the time.

I hit at the range and then chipped at the practice green. I made great contact with all of my clubs. I made a slight change to my swing and it is really paying off at the range at least. The only issue I had was there was no height to my 3w shoots, just low line drives. Chipping was better than normal but still needs work. I want to hit the range at least one more time before I get back out onto the course.

Range session was good,was more to see how the new shoes felt but I was striking the ball well

The only thing I need to remember is not to take my backswing too far back as it is causing me problems at the moment with my 3w - the instant I shortened the backswing I was making excellent contact and hitting them pretty much dead straight. Distance was a lot shorter than normal as the wind was blowing directly into my face....struggled to hit my 8i past around 125yds it was that strong, normally I hit that a good 155-160yds

Short game practice at my local course. Hit some nice chips. Putting was so-so.

Played 6 holes at the junior par 3.

Finished even.

Went to the range and worked on the Pelz wedge system for a little bit. Then I shanked half the bucket with my PW. I'd switch to woods and be fine, the go back to irons and shank city. Baffled, I would swing as hard as I could at the ball without even setting up and the ball would sail perfectly. Was more baffled. I got another medium bucket with my only swing thought being, "turn as much as possible and hit the piss out of the ball." It some how worked and I killed the rest of the bucket like a pro. Golf is weird.

Impact bag drills last night for 30 minutes. One of them involves a one arm (left) takeaway, which really forces me to turn since I can't just pull the club back with the left arm. The big mystery at times is how to translate that into a two handed takeaway. So, the focus of the impact bag drills was getting the same feeling and turn taking the club back both ways. Succeeded at that after a bit and felt pretty good.

Worked on 20 yards and in and greenside bunker play yesterday. Bunker had heavy wet sand from an afternoon shower so I thought that would be good to practice with those conditions. You never know what's gonna greet you at a course.

I'm starting to be so comfortable chipping and can go low with more release or a bit higher with less release. Pitching is getting better but not to the level I want yet.

Finished with some full swings. Iron ball striking was awesome. Driver was off a bit yesterday but I'm hoping to get that fixed again today as driver has been much more consistent lately.

Nice work dhill. That sand practice will come in really handy in July. One of the things that was really worth my time last year.

Got in a nice long practice session today. Spent time on the range and a lot of time in the short game area. I've been having problems of hitting the ball off the toe and it all came back to my posture. I get REALLY slouched and don't notice it.

I found out after recording a session.

Here is last week:

2u6ujyvu.jpg

Here is today:

2yha3y2y.jpg

Much better contact today. I just need to get more work in.

Freddie Kong is awesome. He worked with me for a bit in Orlando on the driver and talked to me about a few things that really made sense. He discussed set up with me, posture, marrying the body and the swing, tempo, and just took time to explain it and in terms I could follow and not glaze over at. I think its the one time that when someone spoke to me about my swing and ability, I listened and paid attention. I worked on it tonight at the range and it still feels a little off to me, but man, when it clicks, it clicks. Even Kelly made the comment, your really firing through with the lower body more than you usually would. There were a couple of stinkers in there, where I still want to get to the ball as fast as I possibly can. so it's a work in progress, but it feels like it is as close as its been in a long while. He's even been awesome on The Twittah. Seriously, Freddie, thanks.

Freddie Kong is awesome. He worked with me for a bit in Orlando on the driver and talked to me about a few things that really made sense. He discussed set up with me, posture, marrying the body and the swing, tempo, and just took time to explain it and in terms I could follow and not glaze over at. I think its the one time that when someone spoke to me about my swing and ability, I listened and paid attention. I worked on it tonight at the range and it still feels a little off to me, but man, when it clicks, it clicks. Even Kelly made the comment, your really firing through with the lower body more than you usually would. There were a couple of stinkers in there, where I still want to get to the ball as fast as I possibly can. so it's a work in progress, but it feels like it is as close as its been in a long while. He's even been awesome on The Twittah. Seriously, Freddie, thanks.

If you can smash faces in with your old swing, I don't want to be your clubs with this swing!

Sounds awesome man.

~Joseph~
Via Tapatalk

Boy do I need Freddie to take a look at my swing!!

If you can smash faces in with your old swing, I don't want to be your clubs with this swing!

Sounds awesome man.

~Joseph~
Via Tapatalk

I just want to be more consistent right now. But as FK said, the distance will be there once I get everything in sync. But, when it clicks, it freaking clicks and feels so good. I had a drive on Saturday morning on the Palmer Course that was just plain filthy. Keygan was pretty impressed. LOL.

It's funny..I never much enjoyed practicing before. I always just wanted to play, play, play. I attribute that to not knowing what the heck I was doing.

I've gone to one GolfTEC session and suddenly all I can think about is getting onto the range. Like, it won't leave my mind!! I just saw such wonderful instant results that I'm suddenly super, super excited. If I'm this excited after just a swing evaluation, I wonder what I'll be like after my 6 month session??

It was too darn cold to go to the range today but I'll definitely hit it up tomorrow.

Rough day today. Took a lesson and my pro has me working hard on leading with the lower body and dropping the hands into the slot. Went out and played immediately after and let's just say the lesson hasn't clicked yet.

However, I can certainly tell a huge difference in this swing when executed correctly versus my over-the-top swing, so the change is definitely needed. I'm confident that with a bunch of range work, I'll come out the other side much stronger.

Pretty good session today. I'm working on finishing my shoulder turn at the backswing. I found myself getting lazy, maybe turning my shudders only halfway, and flipping my hands and arms around me. I've slowed my backswing now and really focused on getting my left shoulder turned back. I can feel the tension in my swing at the top, which I haven't felt in a while.

It's a work in progress, as it usually is. I got a little tired towards the end of the session and went back to my old swing out of habit. Tings started to get a little ugly. It was a little disheartening to finish the range session like that, but I know te technique that I need to use. It's now a matter of making that my usual move.

Putting was also good, although I started slipping back into some bad posture and alignment positions that I previously corrected. I need to get the big moss mat back out and continue working on my indoor putting sessions.

Headed to the range with TexasHacker this morning to work on a few things. We've had some rain the last 24 hours so will probably be mats only which I'm not fond of, but we do have some good mats. Been working on bringing back my ball placement towards the middle of my stance as its been creeping up the last few weeks. Back to the middle brings a better ball flight and better contact. Also want to get some Tank work in at the end.

Went to the range this morning and worked on taking the club outside the hands & more vertical in the backswing. I've been flat and laid off for years and I want to fix that to get more compression & distance.

Also, worked on a new chair drill (top of chair touching my buttocks lol) to help me stay down and maintain spine angle thru the swing.

Had no business going to the range today. My entire body was aching from work/golf yesterday. Started by working on my short game. Really want to get my chipping down as I struggled all day yesterday with short sided chips. I have decided that I am going to learn to use all my irons in chipping and just use one small chipping stroke. Today I learned that my 53 is my 14 step club and my 49 is my 19 step club. Really chipped well today with very few flubs.

Stupidly I then went over to the range to hit some irons. Started off OK with my PW and 9I. Just worked on my 10:30 Pelz shots. My PW is 110 yards on a good strike. My first shot with the 8I was perfect and then I collapsed. Just stopped turning with my core and this led to the skanks. I worked through it though and by the end I was hitting some nice shots.

Hit three buckets tonight. Really struggled for the first half as I was trying to implement everything my pro had me working on in my last lesson. However, trying to concentrate on about 4 things at once was a disaster.

Once I got my focus back on my target things started turning around and I started making some progress. Smooth swings, nice ball flight. Left feeling good.

Went to the range last night for the first time this year. Happily, my wrists did not explode so that was a high point, but that's about it!
The only club I could hit consistently well was my 58. Everything else was just a mess.. I went as far down as a 7 iron and went back to my 58 because it was too depressing and felt too awkward. Looks like this year will be a really terrible year for golf since I'm gone for 41 days right in the middle and that will kill any lesson consistencies.

Had a solid range session today. Took full swings with the AW, 6 iron, 3 wood and Driver. Was working on full swings and continuing to keep my ball flight from ballooning. Had a real solid ball striking day and was keeping all my shots at a nice trajectory except my AW. Still hitting my higher lofted clubs way too high and am losing distance on full swings. Don't know why this is happening because the woods and 6 iron were a great mid ball flight. At least it seems like I've straightened out my swing a little and am happy with the contact I'm making.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back