Pacific Northwest/Vancouver, BC Golfers Group

OGA is the "home of golf" in Oregon. It is a track that generates either a lot of love or a lot of hate...it is a few miles north of Salem.
OGA would be my vote

I live in the Salem area. Within 30 minutes, I would go with Langdon Farms, Creekside, Cross Creek, Chehalem Glenn, Santiam. Super good value would be Evergreen in Mt. Angel but 9 hole course, but it is well maintained.

Don’t overlook Cross Creek, it is a hidden gem near Dallas

I live in the Salem area. Within 30 minutes, I would go with Langdon Farms, Creekside, Cross Creek, Chehalem Glenn, Santiam. Super good value would be Evergreen in Mt. Angel but 9 hole course, but it is well maintained.
Good additions to the list...didn’t occur to me that Langdon and Chehalem Glenn were within 30m. I don’t know the other courses. BIG vote for Langdon over Chehalem for me.

Don’t overlook Cross Creek, it is a hidden gem near Dallas
What about the course just outside Corvallis, on the way into town? What’s the name? Is it within 30m? I played it once…don’t have a strong recollection either way.

OGA is the "home of golf" in Oregon. It is a track that generates either a lot of love or a lot of hate...it is a few miles north of Salem.
What's the reasoning behind the love and hate?

Good additions to the list...didn’t occur to me that Langdon and Chehalem Glenn were within 30m. I don’t know the other courses. BIG vote for Langdon over Chehalem for me.
Langdon might just be a hair too far, for all I know he may live in south Salem (can't ask) and has young kids.

Is Creekside a private course?

You guys are the best, thanks for the help.

I am not aware of the love/hate. They did piss me off once for telling me to come down without letting me make a tee time, promising me I’d get right off. Then making me wait forever. It’s a long drive for me for that crap.

The course is pretty solid, IMO. There’s one par 5 where you cannot go for it in 2. it has a massive green that’s used for 2 holes. Otherwise????

Seems like there are a lot of nice golf courses in OR, I need to come down and play. I've only played a couple of Bend courses (and not Tetherow or Pronghorn).

Bandon is on the bucket list, of course.

What about the course just outside Corvallis, on the way into town? What’s the name? Is it within 30m? I played it once…don’t have a strong recollection either way.
Trysting Tree?

Creekside is not private

probably talking Trysting Tree. It is (or at least was, have not checked for a while) home of Oregon State Beavers golf team. I played it once...don't recall much about it. It was a pretty meh course...

I go out as a single a lot and get matched up with a lot of randoms. Here are some pros and cons from conversations

pros;
cost,-wise, it is an excellent value
maintenance wise, don't believe I have ever played it when it was not in excellent shape
selection wise: they are big proponents of the "tee it forward" and thus the 5 tee boxes are numbered and you play off yardage instead of "women's tees' or "championship tees" or whatever; I believe they also have combo options so you can play from almost any yardage you wish.
it has a wide variety of holes with no repeats I can think of...each hole is a new and interesting experience
not overly tight in regard to houses...couple have them, almost all on the left to protect slicers

cons:
overall the course is pretty tight. There are several target golf holes that generate a lot of dislike in some corners.
for may people it is kind of out of the way

I, like Frank, am a big fan....I will play it any time but a lot of the people I talk to despise hole 4, some dislike 5, 7 is another one that generates a lot of distaste, and there is one on the back that really, really gets peoples goat...narrow, winding, did I say narrow par 5 that ends in a dog leg to an elevated green protected by bunkers and with a notable forced carry....seen some really good golfers dial up a quad in a heartbeat which colors their look at the entire course. In at least one case the guy was at worst one over coming into it and by the end of it was using words of questionable nature. It literally ruined his entire round for him....which to me says more about him than the course but...

Langdon is a really strong choice. I see you say below it might be too far but if he can...for a special gift it is really nice.

Santiam I have played and it...hmm. How do I say this gently. It is a fine course for what it is. But it is not likely to feel "special". They may have done some work on it recently but every time I have played it they have maintenance issues. Fairways and rough have never really been in good shape any time I have ever played it. On the other hand, i have enjoyed it enough to have played it 3-4 times...

I like Chehalem more than Frank does. Much like OGA it has a couple holes people really despise...number 6 comes to nine and nine from the blues is stupid. Their routing on 10-12 is bizarre...10 runs between 10 and twelve so you play ten over a valley, move left to play 11 coming back (another hole that generates a lot of hate...very tough, tight hole), then you have a lengthy walk crossing over ten to play 12. And then 14 is a really weird, tough five. But it is generally in good condition and relatively inexpensive.

Have not played the others but there is also one in Springfield that is...it is not special but is a fun track. Used to be called Springfield Country Club and now I think it is Pine Valley. Has some interesting holes.

Ok, got another question for you all since you were so helpful last time. What are some of the best courses near Vancouver, WA? This one is actually for me, and I will be staying right across the Columbia River from PDX airport.

Ok, got another question for you all since you were so helpful last time. What are some of the best courses near Vancouver, WA? This one is actually for me, and I will be staying right across the Columbia River from PDX airport.
Camas is really the only option if no private access. Near PDX airport: Heron Lakes and Camas are the best options.

Camas is really the only option if no private access. Near PDX airport: Heron Lakes and Camas are the best options.
Camas Meadows? Looks like Heron Lakes is only 15 minutes and Camas Meadows is 20 minutes, so not bad options. Appreciate it.

Camas Meadows? Looks like Heron Lakes is only 15 minutes and Camas Meadows is 20 minutes, so not bad options. Appreciate it.
Consider driving a little bit to Elk Ridge. I played it for the first time a few months ago and enjoyed it. Probably nicer than the other courses you are considering. FWIW:

Heron / Green - Parkland style city owned course. Nice place to have a comfortable playing round and probability for scoring decent. Not bad but probably the lowest on the list for being "nice"
Heron / Blue - Newer than Green and links style. Also city owned course.
Camas - you will need to use a golf cart as there are transitions from green to tee that are really long walks.

Last edited:
Consider driving a little bit to Elk Ridge. I played it for the first time a few months ago and enjoyed it. Probably nicer than the other courses you are considering. FWIW:

Heron / Green - Parkland style course city owned course. Nice place to have a comfortable round and probability for scoring decent. Not bad but probably the lowest on the list for being "nice"
Hereon / Blue - Newer than Green and links style. Also city owned course.
Camas - you will need to use a golf cart as there are transitions from green to tee that are really long walks.
Never played there...looks interesting...I will have to drop you an invite to make the trip next year!

there are two that are maybe 15-20 minute drive:

Lewis River, I don't recommend...it is a nice 40 dollar course they are charging like 85 bucks for. Couple interesting holes including one from 5800 yards that runs something like 630 yards...but overall a very average course.

There is one a little further north on the I-5 corridor called Trim Mountain. It has some really nice views. It has a few blind spots and can feel links-y despite not being...I am not its biggest fan but a lot of people really like it.

Otherwise, I concur with Frank...Elk Ridge is worth the drive, a really fun track in my opinion.

Camas is one I think is pretty mediocre but there are people who like it.

If you don't mind a little bit more of a drive, check out Indian Creek in Hood River.

so speaking of Rock Creek...I mentioned above I did not love the course and the driving range is...uh...technically a driving range. With that said, I am considering joining it for those days I want to go play and don't want a 4-1/2 hour round...any members on here? have a couple questions

1) with it having rained about every day for...you know...months now, but saturday looking sunny...how playable would it be? it drain enough the ball will be findable or is every shot going to plug and be an easter egg hunt?

2) any idea what initiation currently is? I would be looking at the single golf, nothing else. I am incredibly unlikely to ever show up for any of the social events, join the mens club or anything like that. For me it is purely about the golf

thanks in advance

so speaking of Rock Creek...I mentioned above I did not love the course and the driving range is...uh...technically a driving range. With that said, I am considering joining it for those days I want to go play and don't want a 4-1/2 hour round...any members on here? have a couple questions

1) with it having rained about every day for...you know...months now, but saturday looking sunny...how playable would it be? it drain enough the ball will be findable or is every shot going to plug and be an easter egg hunt?

2) any idea what initiation currently is? I would be looking at the single golf, nothing else. I am incredibly unlikely to ever show up for any of the social events, join the mens club or anything like that. For me it is purely about the golf

thanks in advance
I’m excited for you that you are considering joining a club.

Ultimately went with the Reserve. Little more expensive but the practice facilities and courses are so much better...plus I avoid the nonsense of the 217-26 drive...win? lol. We will see how it goes this year.

Back