THP Handicap Watch & Update Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
As expected, I moved up to 16.2. I didn't realize it until today, but only one of the courses I play was counting towards my handicap. I had some good rounds that didn't count, so I feel much better about going backwards than I did before.

New index is 9.5

Today's revision got me a little closer to my goal of 8. Like last time, I had a few rounds in the 70s, but I also had one bad score plus a few mediocre scores.

I'm going to continue to work on my short irons a lot, but after this weekend, its obvious I need to get back on the putting green. I used to be a great putter, but I lost it somehow.

Get it Shakey! I'm sure you'll be back to your old putting form in no time!

Hey Mike was looking at the US Handicap group or area that I am in with and it's showing that the season started March 1. I had 6 scores posted by sunday night.
revision.jpg

I would definitely call then, I know the other district in Illinois starts on April 1, so maybe its a mix up in the system

2014 THP Handicap Watch & Update Thread

2014 THP Handicap Watch & Update Thread

2.9 but the last few rounds have been kind of shaky. I have a ton of work to get to where I need to be. I have a lesson scheduled Saturday which will hopefully help me work on some kinks. Short game needs an overhaul so that will be my focus the next couple of weeks.

I would definitely call then, I know the other district in Illinois starts on April 1, so maybe its a mix up in the system

Yea maybe. Say parshooter is in southern Illinois and even his round with me Saturday didn't count.

you only have 6 scores entered, so it takes a % of the differential for your best 1 of 6, hence the low index

Well that is helpful. Thankfully I am not focusing on my index as I go through my daily preparations.

I should have my index at the next update. Not much golf being played in the rainy conditions.

Since my scores didn't do a revision today, I did the math with the handicap calculator and I am looking at a 16.8 right now. Looking to slash that down by 6.8 by July. Have pretty high hopes that I can do that.

My NH updated to an NH and I am trending towards a (-). Eff you winter.

Same. I should have something by next revision at least.

Same here bud, we should be golden in two weeks. I am hoping to slash that 18 on the 15th.

Up from 12.5 to 12.7, not the right direction, but most of that is because im struggling through the swing change a little bit and scores have been a little higher than ideal. Should be falling again soon.

maintained at 15.1 The 97 from Contraband Bayou on Friday didn't help at all.

I just verified that, with today's update, I am at an 11.0. Not bad, but need to get this chipping /pitching issue straightened or quickly.

Since my scores didn't do a revision today, I did the math with the handicap calculator and I am looking at a 16.8 right now. Looking to slash that down by 6.8 by July. Have pretty high hopes that I can do that.

That is going to be a huge jump! Go get it!

Currently at 9.5 and trending downwards. My goal is to get under 8.0 by the end of the season. I'm hoping that I can get out and take a couple lessons as its been over two years since my last one. Last year I got on a streak and just went with it until it stopped, then it was a long period of struggle and I feel that I am just now getting back. I think a driver lesson would serve me very well as anytime I have an off round, its because the big dog goes sideways for a day.

That is going to be a huge jump! Go get it!

Currently at 9.5 and trending downwards. My goal is to get under 8.0 by the end of the season. I'm hoping that I can get out and take a couple lessons as its been over two years since my last one. Last year I got on a streak and just went with it until it stopped, then it was a long period of struggle and I feel that I am just now getting back. I think a driver lesson would serve me very well as anytime I have an off round, its because the big dog goes sideways for a day.

My goal its to get to 10 by the Morgan Cup and I think I can can achieve that then with all the lessons and practicing I am doing. Say after my round Sunday and taking eight strokes off just from Saturday I feel good. Just need to work on my chipping and make sure I take a smooth swing on my second shots instead of trying to rip it and grip it.

Question everyone. I had inputted my last 4 rounds from last year into the USGA Handicap tracker back in January when I paid for 2014. I put in my most recent round from FL last week and after the first revision I am sitting at an 11.3 index. Hey that's all fine and dandy, but I have not shot 11 strokes over par any time I have been out. In fact, my best was a +14 (86) back in August.

The scores that were inputted were an 86, 88. 87. 93 and 105. The slopes from those scores were, 127, 136, 140, 116 and 132. Is it due to the courses being a bit harder (from a slope perspective?)

I am just trying to figure out how I am an 11.3 index when I haven't ever hit that number. Here's the link to my profile: http://www.ushandicap.com/golf-handicap/scores.asp?userID=1739613

Brad - Handicaps are a measure of potential, so instead of saying that you were shooting 11 strokes over par, it is taking your best scores, normalized by the slopes/course ratings.

Here is a better explanation of how each round's differential is calculated:

The formula for your handicap differential is score minus course rating, then multiply the difference by 113. Finally divide the result by the slope rating. The slope rating and course rating are different measures of how hard the golf course is.

I believe then it just takes the best 10 of the last 20 round differentials and averages them together times another multiplier (fewer numbers as you build up to 20 rounds).

(Sum of differentials / number of differentials) x 0.96 = Handicap

Brad - Handicaps are a measure of potential, so instead of saying that you were shooting 11 strokes over par, it is taking your best scores, normalized by the slopes/course ratings, then times a multiplier (something like 88%).

Thanks Donne, I think it's giving me a little too much leeway. Lol.

Brad I was thinking the samething yesterday when I did my math and it was showing me at a 16.3. I was like WTF my lowest has only been a 93 I can't believe it's that low already. Just glad to see it's below 18.
Thanks Donne, I think it's giving me a little too much leeway. Lol.

I've edited the above a couple of times because, yes, I am a numbers geek, and I wanted to make sure to have the exact information.

I just verified that, with today's update, I am at an 11.0. Not bad, but need to get this chipping /pitching issue straightened or quickly.

You got it right Eddie. Work on that short game a little bit. You've got the swing to be a mid single digit at worse just by tightening up the chipping. Who knows how low you can actually go?

Question everyone. I had inputted my last 4 rounds from last year into the USGA Handicap tracker back in January when I paid for 2014. I put in my most recent round from FL last week and after the first revision I am sitting at an 11.3 index. Hey that's all fine and dandy, but I have not shot 11 strokes over par any time I have been out. In fact, my best was a +14 (86) back in August.

The scores that were inputted were an 86, 88. 87. 93 and 105. The slopes from those scores were, 127, 136, 140, 116 and 132. Is it due to the courses being a bit harder (from a slope perspective?)

I am just trying to figure out how I am an 11.3 index when I haven't ever hit that number. Here's the link to my profile: http://www.ushandicap.com/golf-handicap/scores.asp?userID=1739613
Brad the system works, I don't agree with it at all but that's neither here nor there. You shot an 87 on a course with a high slope. This is going to lower your index more than the 86 on the 127. And the 93 on a 116 will raise your index quicker than the 105. Slope is a huge factor in people's index.

But never mind your index. I'm impressed with the mid 80s I'm seeing. Your a few putts a side from low 80s. Keep it up

You got it right Eddie. Work on that short game a little bit. You've got the swing to be a mid single digit at worse just by tightening up the chipping. Who knows how low you can actually go?

Will be talking with my instructor at the next lesson. I need to get pay off my game in order. This could be a great year for my golf game.

Brad the system works, I don't agree with it at all but that's neither here nor there. You shot an 87 on a course with a high slope. This is going to lower your index more than the 86 on the 127. And the 93 on a 116 will raise your index quicker than the 105. Slope is a huge factor in people's index.

But never mind your index. I'm impressed with the mid 80s I'm seeing. Your a few putts a side from low 80s. Keep it up

Form was probably as good as ever after last years MC. I am hoping I round back into that form here by the end of April, middle of May.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back