THP Handicap Watch & Update Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Current handicap is 13.9
Goal sub 10 by end of year

moving from Beaumont I guess the muni courses there were just much easier, I could still show up to Tyrrell Park right now and if I even shot 80 I'd be ticked. I guess the courses there are just flatter and easier, or maybe it's the fact that over 30 years I've played them hundreds of times so bad shots out there don't bother me, I feel like I can escape from anywhere there but moving to Baytown and playing better, tougher courses has shot my cap up.

I feel like I drive the ball well, I putt ok but could be a bit better. What sends my game into a tailspin is bunker play and any type of wedge that I have to throttle down on. It's only green side bunkers, fairway traps I generally don't have a problem with. Wife got me a swing evaluation, lessons and club fitting for my birthday next month, talked to the guys at GolfTec some thoughts I may be on the wrong shaft on my irons (graphite regular). A lot of irons are right distance but off target left/right so hopefully we can find work it out.

Miller Time
Goal - 8

I've only been serious about my game for about 2 years now and no matter what I've done with equipment, it seems like my avg score was always around 85-87. I finally broke 80 a couple of times last year and I believe I can get it down to single digits. I was down to an 11 at one point, but it's started to creep back up lately.

I finally decided to make the investment in GolfTEC lessons and I've seen some really good results so far. My tee game has improved dramatically with some grip and posture help, but recently my putting from 10ft and in has let me down. I'm hoping a putting lesson in the coming weeks will help me get going in the right direction as spring rolls around and I can start to see the scores stay in the low 80s and see my HDCP drop down into the single digits.

I grew up playing many sports, but I honestly believe this is the toughest game to become really, really good at. Great thread.

Hi, my name is Nate and I love long walks on green fairways, running my feet over fresh cut bermuda greens and the smell of morning dew on the 1st tee box. My official handicap that I've kept for over 3 years, on the same service that THP is using, is a 3.1. You can look me up on the GolfNet app if you are using this system.

My goal is scratch by July but I just don't know if that is possible with a full time job and 3 kiddos in just about every sport and activity there is. I'm close and will probably concentrate on the short game much harder than ever before. Will be working on the scoring irons (8-wedges). Every shot I take with these clubs needs to find the greens. Big goal but I really believe that is the difference to get the handicap down a few strokes.

Will probably engage our club pro for a few tips and drills around the green as we get into the spring months. I'm going to stick to just about the same plan as I had last year. Range when I can't play but have a few hours. Play at least 1-2 times a week. Range to work on things I didn't like about my previous round. Short game work.

Looking forward in watching everyone in this thread go down in strokes! It's fun to practice/play when you are working towards a goal/event.

Some lofty goals in here to be accomplished in just a few months.

Vegan702
12.8 current
8 goal by end of year

While my current index is quite high, it is more because of injuries over anything else. Once I completely heal I feel it will drop back down pretty quickly as I am just limited in what I can do now right now off the tee/fairways. I am pretty much stuck in having to a hit a fade off the tee/fairways and avoid any shot rotating my arms putting pressure on my elbow. But the elbow is starting to finally feel better and I am starting to see signs of the game coming back. A little more practice around the greens with the wedges will help also.

Current HCP: 9.7 (Probably closer to an 11 right now)
Goal for 2014: 6

How am I going to get there? Lessons and dedicated practice! I signed up for a couple of lessons because I am really trying to get my game into a better place. I want a consistent game, not one where I shoot 85 one day and 78 the next. I know I can get there, just have to stay focused.

TBT

15.0 (Trending to 15.6)
Goal: Single Digit that travels

I was as low as 11.2 last year, some injuries and a really bad tee game has caused my index to explode. I still show flashes of my previous game and throw in the low 80 round but follow it up with a high 90 or even triple digit round.

I am working on my flexibilty and body rotation (the injury is in my right hip), under rotation of my body is what is causing the pull hooks that are killing me off the tee and with hybrids and longer irons.

I am also going to take a series of lessons with a new pro that I have found that's a little closer to my house and I am going to be participating in several mini clinics that he offers that focus on short game and bunker play.

I struggle with short chips and probably lose 5-6 strokes a round within 10 feet of the green, it's an issue I have been fighting for a long time.

Sighman23
Handicap - 12.9

Goal <10

I am a straight but very short hitter. My drives average around 218 yards and my 7 iron is at 135. I hit the ball straight which takes almost all trouble out of play. I lose almost all my strokes within 100 yards of the green. My goal is to really work on my short game and try to pick up 4 or 5 shots a round by lessening my chips and putts. I worked with an instructor last year and he helped, but I didn't practice the things he taught me enough.

Long par 3's and 4's kill my game because I am hitting a wedge on to the green for birdie on each hole. My problem is after I hit the wedge I am not close enough to the hole to have a 1 putt. Which means most likely bogey if not double.

I also want to find a reputable fitter and have my first true fitting and see if I can change shafts in my driver and irons to help increase my distance just a few yards without having to change my swing.

Mikeg_74
GHIN- 15.3

Goal for 2014: 10 or lower by the end of the year.

I'm taking lessons three times a month and just signed up for a range plan at my local course. This the first year I've tracked my handicap so not sure what last year was like.

My plan is to continue with my lessons with specifically working on my takeaway & eliminating the early release. I think I can reduce my handicap pretty quickly by working harder on my short game & putting. I still "flub" too many chip/pitch shots that cost me strokes. Eliminating that along with consistently putting will go a long way to helping me reach my 10 or lower goal.

I got down to 16 last season, and my goal is to get to 12 this year.

do do this, I really need to start to start keeping track of my stats (fir, gir, puts, sand save) and where I miss the fairways/greens. I never kept track of those stats and I think doing this will help me know what to work on.

Estimated 14. I don't have an official one (I definitely need to sign up for one)
Goal: single digits

I have a couple things that I have been working on during the offseason. First was getting some quality clubs and filling out the gaps in my bag. My equipment was dreadfully old and really wasn't fit well for my current swing. I had recently updated my irons, but my driver was crazy old and my 3 and 5 wood were old and I hit them short, and not very well. I know new equipment isn't a fix for a swing flaw, but I took some lessons last year and am working on that too. Even with a perfect swing, a 20 year old club won't work as well as a 1 year old club. I picked up a couple hybrids recently, but still need a 3 or 4 wood and am also planning on picking up a couple new wedges in the near future.

Anyway, the second thing that I will be working on is the mental side of things. I tend to play very well for three or four holes, but then blow up on a par five because I try to go for it in two or will shank my drive, then try a three wood from the rough, causing more pain. I have been trying to get into the mindset that par is a great score on any hole for me, and that with my lack of distance, sometimes a bogey is acceptable. What isn't acceptable is getting a double or worse....much worse sometimes. I took an on course 9 hole lesson last year that really helped me start to manage the course much better than I have in the past.

Third, I am working on my putting. This is where I tend to lose most of my strokes. I regularly 3 putt greens even when I start within 30 feet of the pin. Speed is probably the main issue for me as I will be way off, either short or long, with my first putt, then just miss my second. To correct this, I have purchased a new Seemore putter, and am trying to make it out to the putting green on a regular basis. I have been doing drills working from 3' and going out, trying to get the ball at least to the hole, but not more than 2 or 3 feet past. Lots of work left to do on this.

Unfortunately, the fourth item I need to work on is on-course or practice time. With a 4 year old and a 10 month old, it is tough to get out there and play as much as I would like. Not much I can do about this though.

Ryan
Current index: 14.5 OOB
Goal: 10 or less

Plan to achieve with serious short game work and getting some lessons (about monthly) to address problem spots that crop up. Already seen some definite improvements, but the scores haven't started dropping seriously yet. First handicapped round of 2014 was yesterday and shot a 90, which is in meh land, but I'm seeing the signs. Need to get my tee game locked back down after some swing changes though - I have a tendency to miss left now, which is something I need to get used to and account for. I really thing that on the merits of the short game alone, I can get close to 10, and with some more full swing improvements and some putting work, I can crack into the single digits without too much of a problem. But we'll see!

Johnny Mojo

Current US Handicap - 9.2

Goal: 5 or less by July

I plan to get there with lessons (6 pack already purchased and paid for in advance) and dedicated short game practice that I have NEVER done until this year. Since becoming an active member at THP, I have come to realize how foolish I have been over many years by not taking lessons. Since getting a few tips on line and in person with FK, I have been playing some of the best golf of my life. After a long discussion with a potential instructor, I pulled the trigger and bought a package. I will also be doing a fitting which also have never had. All my specs are just trial and error. Another piece of this puzzle is my body. Since the Adams event I have lost 10 pounds and my core is getting stronger. Legs will never get much better, but I am getting more and more solid over the ball. Mentally, I need to stay in the round for EVERY hole and not "check out". Avoid the blow-up holes and penalty strokes that happen from time to time.

This goal is TOTALLY achievable. Nothing I have ever experienced has focused me on a plan to achieve a goal like the #THPMC and it is such an amazing journey. I can be a solid 5 if I apply myself and stay committed.

JM

Robert L Wedge
10 -11 last year
Goal - mid 7's

Last year I really worked on my Driver and it started to pay off big time by the end of the season and it appears to have followed over to this season. This Winter my main focus has been from 125 in and for the spring its going to be nothing but course management. Went out last Tuesday with some fellow THPers and shot 40/42 with some seriously uncut unrolled greens and it was my first real round out this year. I was really trying to focus on where I placed my shots and I feel my score reflected that. Hopefully I can just keep this momentum going!

Current handicap: 9.1
Goal: Stay in single digits

I'd love to say that I'll be a 5 or 6 by the time this year is over, but I'm just not sure that's possible this year. I've barely touched a club since my son was born in October, so when I get back out onto the course starting this weekend, I'll probably play like a 12 or 13 handicap. I did start working on some swing changes after the Morgan Cup last year and saw some good results, so I'm going to stick with that plan. Of course, I probably won't have as much time this year to practice as I did last year, so we'll see what happens. I've got to get more accurate throughout my bag, but especially off of the tee, I hit too many foul balls with the long clubs.

Interesting and fun thread!

Currently at 7.5 EGA
Goal 2014: 4.5

My goal is to practice more and play a few rounds less, I will see my pro once a month, and we will check on my situation, and focus on the stuff that do not seem to get better with the rest.

My biggest practice efforts will be putting, short game and long irons / woods on the fairway.

I also try to get my physique together and mental side as well.

Currently: 17.2
2014 Goal: Low teens

My goal is to hit the practice range and greens at least a couple of times a week. Really work on my chipping and my putting (I tend to give away a lot of strokes with my putting). Working with Freddie, when we can get out, to work on my swing mechanics.

Michael Cook
#Cookie

My current handicap is 12.1

My goal is to get my handicap down to 8 which is approximately where I was 8 months ago.

At that time, I had a membership at a course and that was a “home course” handicap where I would just go out and play multiple times per week with very little range time. Since that time, I haven’t played as much through the winter and am playing courses all over the DFW metro area.

Plan:

Get lessons on an as needed basis (already received one during a TMPL fitting and also working my Team THP teammate “Panda”)
Range sessions at least twice weekly which include practicing with a purpose (mainly focused on swing change right now)
Continually analyze my round stats which will help to show where I need to focus and improve upon (right now it’s hitting greens after hitting fairways, getting chips closer, and making putts)

I’m happy with how the last month has gone and am already seeing an improvement in ball striking from the implemented swing changes. The weather and time change of the last few weeks have really started to allow me to hit the range during the week which it what I needed to groove the swing changes.

The biggest killer to my handicap has been blow up holes, all too often I go out and shoot 85 with 5 doubles. I have to get that blow up holes number down to 2 max. For the most part that will happen with course management and just taking my medicine. I’ve actually been good about that but haven’t been converting that critical 8 footer for bogey, etc

I know I can do this.
I know I have to do this.
I have the support of and owe it to my Team THP teammates to do this.

Hi Everyone, My name is D_in_LA, and I'm approximately a 17. My goal is to drop two strokes by July. Another two by the end of October.

Unfortunately, in the past two years, nearly all my golf has been recreational with only some improvement work in spurts - always falling back to the same three shot range 16-18. Now that I'm back in my homeland, I need to reestablish and handicap. I've started regular walking, crossfit (so much pain) and next week, golf lessons with a Class A PGA Pro. (Also a Class A trash talker, so it should be fun.) I've been talking about getting replacement equipment since I joined THP, my irons being from 2006. So this might be a double opportunity for me.

Overall Goals:
Fitness
Flexibility
Consistency
Confidence
I'm sure some video will show some mechanical things I do that kills my speed.

Specific goals (as these are the areas where I feel I lose lots of strokes):
Short game: standardize on a few specific methods, I don't need every trick in the book. this will give me confidence
Sand game: regain my confidence - I generally know what to do, but get caught up in my head - I may need a psychiatrist.
Hybrids from the fairway: I tend to shy away from hitting them for fear of bad outcomes and I can't seem to hit them that high.

Not gonna lie. I got a little goosebump action going on there Cookie.

My boy Pound Cookie. Hell yes dude, hell yes.

Christian Scarnici
My official current handicap is 11.0 (Probably closer to 14 with a horrible last half of the season)

Goal: Is to get it to single digits

How am I going to get there?

First I'm working hard on my fitness and flexibility. Since the middle of January Im down 11 pounds and still have plenty to go.
I have begun taking lessons and they have been great so far. I am on my 5th lesson since January and will continue with them once every two or three weeks. I love to practice. Once the weather breaks I have a range membership that I take advantage of.

I need to put in more practice time on the putting and chipping greens. Thats where I plan to focus a lot of my practice time.

When it comes to equipment I am very sporadic and I switch it up a ton and its a lot of fun for me. But what I dont do it get them fit properly. I will go through a proper fitting and determine what works best for me so I know whatever Im playing it correct for me

That is what I have so far and Im sure I will have some tweaks soon

Golds/Matt
My goal is to consistently hit low 90's aka drop my handicap to at least 20 and on good days break 90.

I've been swinging a club for only 4 years and concentrating on it seriously for maybe 2. Two years ago I was gaining A LOT of ground in my game and my swing was the most consistent it has ever been, it was also the most golf I have ever played during a summer. I was scoring low 90's and missed breaking 90 by 1 putt on one of the hardest courses in the area The next year (last year), a ton of major things happened including buying a house that completely dominated my summer and golf game. This completely killed my golf game and I have not been able to get it back. This year I am trying to get back on track and get that consistent swing I had 2 years ago to resurface. I have never taken a lesson in my life, all self taught with minor teaching from my dad, but this year I am really thinking about taking some sessions to get me going into the next level of my goals.

Andy
13.6 (Unofficial, probably closer to 15)
My goal is to get to a single digit handicap by the end of the year.

I will try to practice with a purpose more and work on some of the things Freddie and others have suggested.
I need to focus more on health and fitness as well, including watching my weight and increased flexibility.
Also, improving the mental part of the game, better pre-shot routines and triggers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back