THP Handicap Watch & Update Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Checkered AKA John
current about an 18
Goal is to get down to a 15 or less by July and to get shooting in the 80's consistently.

My issues are consistency and blow up holes. The consistency I know will be helped by getting in better shape as well as the practice. I am working on my consistency off the tee, which has been one of my biggest issues and better course management to help eliminate those blow up holes. I have been working daily in the garage setup I have and will be hitting the range more once the grass opens. I have been taking lessons, and will be continuing to as well to work on things. I know I'm capable of a lot better than I've been shooting so really trying to work on realizing that.

mmaynard11
10.2 - ended up the year here.

My goal for my handicap index by July is to be at around 5.0 or lower.

How will I get there? Lessons and practice. I started lessons a mere two weeks ago and feel that I am swinging the club so much better than over the last few years. It was pointed out that I my swing pattern more inside and over the top than it should be. I have been working on keeping my left arm more parralel to the target and keeping my back to the target longer. Great improvements in two weeks and with continued practice I hopefully will see the ball flight I am looking for and more distance.

Along with lessons I will be focusing on my short game as that is for me one of the hardest areas of my game to practice on. With a dedicated mindset and practice I can drop a few strokes with putting and management around the green.

The next few weeks will be a great testimony of where I am at with my lessons as I will be taking it to the course!

I am currently an internet golfer 10. I just started recording my scores at my club this year, so I hope to have an official HC in the next month. If everything shakes out to be an official 10, I hope to be under a six by the end of the year.

I am concentrating so much effort/practice on my short game. I really feel this is where I am losing a ton of strokes. I will head to the range and not pick up anything over a wedge. Heck sometimes I leave the truck with three balls and a putter. This would have been unheard of for me in the last few years.

c0ncept
Andrew:

2.9 right now and hopefully staying there. It was a 1.8 last month.

I want to get back down to 0 playing from 6700+ by the end of the year.

90% of that is putting. I leave a lot of putts on the course that should be in the cup. The other 10% is that I need to be longer off the tee. First I am redoing the bag so I have the right equipment and I also am focused on practicing a lot more than usual. I am doing self taught lessons for myself and they seem to be helping. At the end of the month I will be reviewing if I should continue the course membership and I lean towards dropping it.

Kc720
Ended last year at 9.9
Goal end of April 8
Goal end of may 7
Goal end of june 6
Goal by MC 5!

With monthly goals I feel I have something to really shoot at. My first objective, 100 to 150 yd shots. Ingrain more stability in my short iron swing, have one yardage I can totally count on for hitting greens. Get my GIR up to avg of 9 per round. As of now averaging 6 to 7 greens. 3 more GIR avg should equal to a shot or two dropped.

Drumdog aka Bill

Current - 3.3 ghin
Target - 1 ghin by September.

Last year was a rehab and rebuild season after shoulder surgery, so this year should be an improving year. What I need to work on the most this year is the medium to long approach shots. I am looking to get shorter birdie putts and less one putt pars. I also want to get more spin on my wedges. I intend to find an instructor that will help me with those shots. The snow has melted and the weather has turned so that several courses are opening this weekend. Along with finding an instructor, I will be spending more time on the range that is just a couple of miles from home. They have been doing some remodeling over the last 2 years and turning it into decent facility. I don't know who will be instructing there this year, but that is going to be my first stop of my instructor search.

GolfFest aka Ryan
Current 16.2
Target 12 by the end of this season, 9.9 in 2 seasons

I started playing more seriously last year, started out shooting around 110 after playing once a year for years to 1-2 times a week and am down to mid to high 80s. Happy about the progress and I know that each stroke is going to be harder to come by this year than last. I've been taking lessons and that has certainly been a difference maker. The biggest thing that will help is getting up and down a higher percent, followed by getting into trouble less frequently off the tee.

Ryan Wittmann
17.3 USGA (through THP!)
My goal is <10 by July

Since finding THP, I've been more focused on golf than I've ever been. I spent the winter working on my swing in my basement thanks to the help of Mr. Kong (Seriously, guy is a swing genius!), and I'm signing up for lessons for the first time ever. My irons are the best they've ever been, but my driver hasn't come back from the winter yet. The weather is still a little too cool for much golf and I'm nursing an elbow injury, so avoiding full swings anyway. I've been working on my putting, and starting to see some success, but will need to put in work on an actual green. My wonderful DotCom teammates are really encouraging and driving me to want to put in the work that is required to reach my goal.

Just wanna say that I checked in on this thread from time to time during the day today and just got caught up. A big thank you to those willing to lay it out there and discuss goals and aspirations. Well done! We can all get better by spending time in here and sharing. Success breeds success.

JM

Evan aka EVOK
Current HC : 12.4
Goal : 7ish by end of season

After my lessons with golftec two seasons ago ive come a long way. Things were really clicking mid season last year so im hoping to continue on that. Im hoping to do another package with Golftec starting soon and with the weather still poo in WNY im hoping it'll be a perfect start to the season. I eliminated my slice but now struggle with a nasty hook that im hoping to dial back. Looking forward to some warm weather!!

Current handicap: 23.4

Goal handicap: 16 (or better!)

I'm one of the golfers in #THPMC who, quite simply, must start playing better. Right now there's tumblers that I can get into place, but I just haven't been able to get them all at the same time to really unlock a solid game. Today was a good example: I was hitting my irons as well as I could have hoped...since my game off the tee was pretty atrocious. I hit some good recovery shots, and got close with some wedges, but all that goes out the window, because I also haven't been putting very well. Changing courses has brought on new greens that are much, much faster than I'm used to. I'm glad to be playing on them, though, as I expect True Blue & Caledonia to have their teeth bared come July.

On the one hand, I've been avoiding this thread all day. I really don't like admitting how far I have to go. I'm pretty worried that I'm going to reach whatever the cutoff date and not have my game worthy of this organization or a great events it puts on, particularly the marquee Morgan Cup. On the other hand, I'm glad to get it out there. I'm a pretty mediocre golfer. I'm going to be playing my ass off in the coming months, as well as taking lessons and putting in a lot of time on the practice range and greens. Right now I'm still very confident I can get there.

I am currently an internet golfer 10. I just started recording my scores at my club this year, so I hope to have an official HC in the next month. If everything shakes out to be an official 10, I hope to be under a six by the end of the year.

I am concentrating so much effort/practice on my short game. I really feel this is where I am losing a ton of strokes. I will head to the range and not pick up anything over a wedge. Heck sometimes I leave the truck with three balls and a putter. This would have been unheard of for me in the last few years.

Not as much fun as pounding away driver, but it helps.

This is really cool to see how folks are prepping for 2014! I hope more jump in this thread and set goals ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm one of the golfers in #THPMC who, quite simply, must start playing better. Right now there's tumblers that I can get into place, but I just haven't been able to get them all at the same time to really unlock a solid game. Today was a good example: I was hitting my irons as well as I could have hoped...since my game off the tee was pretty atrocious. I hit some good recovery shots, and got close with some wedges, but all that goes out the window, because I also haven't been putting very well. Changing courses has brought on new greens that are much, much faster than I'm used to. I'm glad to be playing on them, though, as I expect True Blue & Caledonia to have their teeth bared come July.

On the one hand, I've been avoiding this thread all day. I really don't like admitting how far I have to go. I'm pretty worried that I'm going to reach whatever the cutoff date and not have my game worthy of this organization or a great events it puts on, particularly the marquee Morgan Cup. On the other hand, I'm glad to get it out there. I'm a pretty mediocre golfer. I'm going to be playing my ass off in the coming months, as well as taking lessons and putting in a lot of time on the practice range and greens. Right now I'm still very confident I can get there.

You can do this Steve. Get some stuff out to Freddie if you haven't already. I know you want this badly and are athletic, so, like you said, it's just a matter of getting the tumblers into place and unlocking your potential. Keep at it bud!

JM

Man, there's plenty of time to work on stuff before July, and there's no motivation like the #THPMC. Ask DCBrad about what can happen getting ready for the MC.

Currently at 16.3.
It has trended up some over the winter. Would like to blame course conditions, but the truth is I've been struggling with my full swing lately, specifically with my irons. I think a posture fix has got me back on track, at least I hope so.
My goal is to be single digit by year end. I realize that is a big jump but that is my goal. I had a string of mid and low 80s right at the end of last year that tells me I can get there. That's also what has kept my handicap from exploding over the last month.
My plan to get there is to improve my short game, specifically my chipping by spending extra time working on that in the practice area and to improve my mid to long irons with some additional focus on them on the range. I can't remember the last time my chipping hasn't cost me at least 3 or 4 shots a round. I have also started chipping more with an 8 iron on shots where I have room to get it rolling. I'm good with my short irons and wedges, but very inconsistent the longer the approach shot gets.

Trying to play through a back injury got me to a 21.0, which is where I'm at right now. I haven't played a full round for posting scores since December. Now that the grass is starting to show through again a little, I'd expect it to drop slowly as I get more comfortable with playing unguarded because of pain.

With my ball striking back on the slow track, I want to set my goal to get back under 18 before the summer trip, typically in May. If I keep putting and chipping like I have been and keep tee balls in play and 2nd shots close to the green,,,,,,,, It should be an easy goal for the beginning of the season.

This is great thread and I am loving what I am reading. Lots of goals, lots of plans and lots of golf. I hope everyone reaches their goals and makes another set after currents goals are reached.

currently at a 13.8

Goal is to be a 11 by end of Sept and a 10 by the end of the year.

I have recently purchased an unlimited range ball pass so I can practice more.

I am now a 9.4 down from a 14.1 last year.

My goal is to be at a 5.0< by the MC. #HackersWorkHarder

I am taking lessons with a great coach and I have been playing or practicing at least 4 days a week.

Wow nice work TNT, that's some solid improvement

I am taking lessons with a great coach and I have been playing or practicing at least 4 days a week.

Damn, that's impressive dude. I had no idea you were a single digit now.

See you in our Sunday singles match.

Damn, that's impressive dude. I had no idea you were a single digit now.

See you in our Sunday singles match.

My teammate...the not-so-secret weapon.

Really wanted to keep this quite till the MC.... And thanks boys. Been working my tail off.

We've already stolen you away from the other teams...celebrate all that work you're putting in. Enjoy the Summer of Trevor, and wear that target on your back proudly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back