THP Handicap Watch & Update Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
After a rough last year with injuries, this year is going to be the year I get back down to at least a 16, maybe even better. I've crept to a 21 now, and that's unacceptable for someone who plays and practices as much as I do. I've just had a mental block on the course with every club except for the putter. I just putt decently no matter what.

My #1 issue has always been mental. I simply couldn't relax over the ball and just swing. Too much tension in my hands and arms. I've gotten a lot better over the past couple of weeks with it and for the most part I was able to stay relaxed over the ball, even at the Invitational with people watching.

Getting off the tee well is going to be key from here on out. The majority of my lost shots came from stray tee shots and the subsequent recovery shots that ensued. Losing so much distance because of my injuries, I'm going to have to concentrate on accuracy and forget about trying to power the ball off the tee. I was still wanting to get after the ball this past weekend off the tee and it got me in trouble a lot. I didn't have the same issue with my irons, I stepped up, concentrated and put a swing on the club. Feeling much better about my game recently, just have to get off the tee box better.

Handicap: 16
Goal: sub-10

Plan for improvement:
-More golf!
-Joining a private club that offers a tough scoring course to improve my overall game and help my game "travel"
-Lessons to improve fundamentals
-Increase in competitive rounds though a golf league, club tournaments, and THP events

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

GHIN update retains my 0.1 due to winter lock, however, if I were to go play right now, I would not play to zero. 70s probably, but hardly consistent especially around the greens.

That is about to change. Lessons, range sessions, putting sessions already completed. The grind will be immense to return to form, and then to take my game to the next level of consistency.

Over the next couple weeks I am going to establish year long goals and begin documenting my rounds better to confirm various percentages like greens/fairways hit, putts, etc. I'll be sure to share them in here, and they will undoubtedly be lofty.

I'm a little late getting mine posted up because of traveling.

Current GHIN: 12.0
Goal: 9.0*

My plan includes:

1. Lessons every two weeks from now thru May or June.
2. Physical Fitness to improve flexibility and strength.
3. Focused practice on short game, and weaknesses (in addition to what I'm working on with my instructor).
4. Heavy tournament schedule.

* Could be revised depending on progress, but only down.

No doubt you're gonna get there. You have the game, for sure! Good luck buddy!

Feel like I'm playing better, but not reflecting in my scores...yet. Still stuck at 23. I'm predicting a solid drop coming in this revision cycle, though. Just been playing better overall.

End of 2013 Handicap: 15.6
Goal: < 8

There is absolutely no reason I can't get there. This is the first winter that I've ever kept swinging either during a simulator league, or in an indoor dome/outdoor heated range. And while I struggled on grass for the first time this weekend hitting fat shots and finding the right pace on the greens, when I did put a good swing on the ball, it certainly went. What I did do, is identify what I really need to improve on, and that is my short game.

It was really great being outside, on grass, in the sun, and only further fueled my motivation.

Feel like I'm playing better, but not reflecting in my scores...yet. Still stuck at 23. I'm predicting a solid drop coming in this revision cycle, though. Just been playing better overall.

Keep on working. You'll get there.

Really I am focused on getting my Handi down to 5<. Still at a 9.4. I am finally getting the new job under control which is helping.

I started playing lessons on top of my regular lessons. I am going to do 1 playing lesson a month with my coach. 18 at a very tough course to work on shot making.
Short Game, Short Game, Short Game

MarchGHIN_zpsae78ac31.jpg

Way to go, buddy. I know you are working your butt off. You will get there.

No doubt you'll get there Pete. Get the tee ball in the fairway, and cut down on the penalties and you'll be an 8 in no time.

2014 THP Handicap Watch & Update Thread

2014 THP Handicap Watch & Update Thread

Deuce
No official HCP yet
July 4th will be my first year anniversary of playing golf. My plan therefore is to be a sub-100 player by then. Within a year I will be a 18 HCP or better. It is not up for discussion, I will make it happen. An 18 HCP is my minimum, I would prefer to be even lower than that.

I have and will continue to take lessons. I have not set a limit on how many I will take. I will take as many lessons as is necessary. The plan now is for two a month, more if I feel like I am regressing or the lessons just are not sticking. Focus is currently on the short game and getting a consistent swing with my irons. Putting is acceptable but obviously I can improve on it. Obviously as someone who hasn't broken 100 I can't be happy or complacent with any aspect of my game yet. Once I get a consistent swing, I will work on my long game. Would prefer some more distance, but if that is not in the cards, I need to be deadly accurate off the tee and with my irons.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Handicap: 11.4
Goal: <=7.9 by mid summer

Will hopefully be taking some lessons to get me on a right track going forward.
Getting my driver back under control.
Eliminating Penalty shots (even if it means putting the big dog away)
Staying more confident at address
Letting my putter do the talking and quit trying to speak for it.
Better Course Management.
Tempo and fluidity.
Continue weekly range sessions and increase when grass range opens.
Continue work on 1/2 and 3/4 swings
Mental aspect

Last night was the conclusion of my indoor league. I started with a 6.7 handicap. And while it is only simulator golf, it does show an improvement in my ability to hit a golf ball consistently. Gimmes were 8ft in the beginning and then 6ft the last month or so.

3-20-20149-58-32AM.jpg

Last night was the conclusion of my indoor league. I started with a 6.7 handicap. And while it is only simulator golf, it does show an improvement in my ability to hit a golf ball consistently. Gimmes were 8ft in the beginning and then 6ft the last month or so.

3-20-20149-58-32AM.jpg

Nice job Adam...looking forward to seeing your progress when you are able to get outdoors.

Nice job Adam...looking forward to seeing your progress when you are able to get outdoors.

Thanks Skip! I think tomorrow might be the day I get out. 60 degrees and nothing going on at work....I ponder 18 holes..

Hi THP!

My Name is CJ

I have no official established handicap.
My normal rounds last year would start out about 118-120, this year have started out low 100's.

My plan is to get to a 15.
It will not be easy, it will take work and a lot of it.

I took lessons throughout the winter, and I have noticed some drastic improvements where I am starting out.
I still fall into bad habits of over swinging and thus struggle with contact. 80% swing thought....

What I feel will help me:
Slow Down (I feel like I rush myself a bit)
Course Management
Better Fitness level
Daily Stretching

I also will be a course Marshall which in turn will allow me to play all the golf I wish.
I also don't currently have an area to take full swings, but will be a range hound when they open.

I also will continue to fine tune through lessons

I WANT to be held accountable to this! I plan on playing a lot with THPers this year, they may call me out if Improvement is not made!

Hi THP!

My Name is CJ

My normal rounds last year would start out about 118-120, this year have started out low 100's.

I took lessons throughout the winter, and I have noticed some drastic improvements where I am starting out.
I still fall into bad habits of over swinging and thus struggle with contact. 80% swing thought....

Course Management
Better Fitness level
Daily Stretching

I also will be a course Marshall which in turn will allow me to play all the golf I wish.
I also don't currently have an area to take full swings, but will be a range hound when they open.

I WANT to be held accountable to this! I plan on playing a lot with THPers this year, they may call me out if Improvement is not made!

Keep it up CJ and those scores will start dropping!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Hi THP!

My Name is CJ

Course Management
Better Fitness level
Daily Stretching

You can do it CJ!

Hi THP!

My Name is CJ

Course Management
Better Fitness level
Daily Stretching

CJ my man. You got this

I putted for about 45 minutes while my daughter napped this afternoon. Ended the session by making 25 7 footers in a row. Really felt the stroke this session. Very very positive. If I putt like this when the season starts, becoming a 5 or better is well within my reach.

I basically had a playing lesson with the pros today. JB has me working on a system for my short game that could pay some huge dividends come July.

I basically had a playing lesson with the pros today. JB has me working on a system for my short game that could pay some huge dividends come July.

He helped me out big time with mine as well. Love the #JBshortgametips

He helped me out big time with mine as well. Love the #JBshortgametips

Have to agree there. He gave me a green side wedge tip in Florida that has stuck and worked very well for me.

Love this. I wish my mind would let me implement a system haha

Still have two weeks of scores to enter, but I will probably be trending up. It's discouraging to not do as well as you want to each time out, but it is also part of the discipline required to forge ahead in a match when things are not going well I guess. Find the positive right? There are flashes of really good things, but not as much as I would like. The bag is in flux too. Played with a borrowed driver since my new one is not here yet. Had a new Seemore in the bag which I love but its not dialed in yet and a re-shafted J40 gap wedge that is going to be great!

Today is a practice day and no golf next weekend because of a family trip. Either Zen Golf or Sort Game Bible will be my traveling companion on the trip.

JM

I wonder what the percentage of THP'ers are posting in this thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back