THP Handicap Watch & Update Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could do the math OG, but I would need to take off my house slippers. :act-up:

JM

I could do the math OG, but I would need to take off my house slippers. :act-up:

JM

lol I bet more than half have not because of what ever reason.

After some disarray in my swing I am trending up to 10.6 from 9.9. It is motivation to be better, put in more work!

50wyldeman
Current ~ 25.9
Goal ~ 18

This is my first year of "serious" golf I have never played more than 5 rounds in a year prior to this year, to date I have played 11 rounds since Dec 20th
Scores were as follows
12/20/13 ~ 101 Foxtail North
12/27/13 ~ 104 Windsor Golf Course
01/03/14 ~ 112 Foxtail North
01/10/14 ~ 108 Foxtail North
01/16/14 ~ 99 Foxtail North
01/20/14 ~ 104 Bennet Valley Golf Club
01/24/14 ~ 111 Bodega Harbour Golf Links
02/14/14 ~ 101 Windsor Golf Course
02/21/14 ~ 97 Windsor Golf Course
03/07/14 ~ 98 Fountaingrove Golf and Athletic Club
03/17/14 ~ 91 Rancho Canada EastCourse

I joined a Mens club with the strong desire to establish a handicap and take game improvement somewhat seriously. One of the many benefits of this mens club is that it includes a membership with the NCGA and the establishment of a handicap.
My initial index was 27.4
First revision index is 25.9

My target for summers end (September) is to be 18 or better. I believe it is a reasonable goal.

To attain this goal I believe three thing will be needed.

1.) I must lose a significant amount of weight and condition myself cardio wise, this will aid my game by helping me not be winded as I address the ball or am attempting a putt.
I have begun daily cardio to this end and am finally back to lifting as well.
2.) I will need to be at the range a minimum of 3x weekly dividing the time between Woods ( I carry 4) , Irons and wedges. Ideally I will dedicate each session to one of the three areas. I will finish every session with a focused 15 minutes of putting practice.
3.) Lessons, I have contacted an instructor I like quite a bit and will begin lessons once I am a few more weeks into the conditioning.

To review
Current GHIN 25.9
Target GHIN 18.0
Goal Date Sept 1 2014

Thank you to the THP , sincerely, I recently shot a great round ( 91) and it was a direct result of things I have learned here.

Last edited:
This is my first year of "serious" golf I have never played more than 5 rounds in a year prior to this year, to date I have played 10 rounds since Dec 20th
Scores were as follows
12/20/13 ~ 101 Foxtail North
12/27/13 ~ 104 Windsor Golf Course
01/03/14 ~ 112 Foxtail North
01/10/14 ~ 108 Foxtail North
01/16/14 ~ 99 Foxtail North
01/20/14 ~ 104 Bennet Valley Golf Club
01/24/14 ~ 111 Bodega Harbour Golf Links
02/14/14 ~ 101 Windsor Golf Course
02/21/14 ~ 97 Windsor Golf Course
03/07/14 ~ 98 Fountaingrove Golf and Athletic Club
03/17/14 ~ 91 La Canada EastCourse
I joined a Mens club with the strong desire to establish a handicap and take game improvement somewhat seriously. One of the many benefits of this mens club is that it includes a membership with the NCGA and the establishment of a handicap.
My initial index was 27.4
First revision index is 25.9

My target for summers end (September) is to be 18 or better. I believe it is a reasonable goal.

To attain this goal I believe three thing will be needed.

1.) I must lose a significant amount of weight and condition myself cardio wise, this will aid my game by helping me not be winded as I address the ball or am attempting a putt.
I have begun daily cardio to this end and am finally back to lifting as well.
2.) I will need to be at the range a minimum of 3x weekly dividing the time between Woods ( I carry 4) , Irons and wedges. Ideally I will dedicate each session to one of the three areas. I will finish every session with a focused 15 minutes of putting practice.
3.) Lessons, I have contacted an instructor I like quite a bit and will begin lessons once I am a few more weeks into the conditioning.

To review
Current GHIN 25.9
Target GHIN 18.0
Goal Date Sept 1 2014

Thank you to the THP , sincerely, I recently shot a great round ( 91) and it was a direct result of things I have learned here.

Keep working and you will shatter that 18!

lol I bet more than half have not because of what ever reason.

Just remember that a lot of the country is still waiting for the thaw of spring. I'm not posting because I haven't been playing, and I'm sure many are in the same boat. Give it a few weeks and hopefully this thread livens up a little bit.

Name - TheDoctor (aka Glenn)
Handicap - None yet

Aim for the year

First objective is to obviously get my cards submitted to my club to get an official handicap and then I will be working on dropping that as far as possible during the year playing in the club competitions whenever I can - last year I was hovering just under 17 so assuming my official handicap lands around there to begin with, I would like to try and drop 5 strokes

Plan for dropping the handicap is two-fold

First is to work on my short game now that I have access to a short game practice area at my new club as it has been difficult to practice certain types of shots on the 'normal' range area - distances I can work on, but the touch shots around the green aren't possible
Second is to put more practice into putting as this has been severely lacking over the last couple of years (and my club has 2 practice greens I can use)

Played my first round today for handicap submission and shot 44/37 for a round of 81 which, assuming I can shoot similar scores for the next couple of rounds, will quite probably mean that my first official handicap could well be lower than the 16 or 17 I was kind of expecting.....

Just remember that a lot of the country is still waiting for the thaw of spring. I'm not posting because I haven't been playing, and I'm sure many are in the same boat. Give it a few weeks and hopefully this thread livens up a little bit.

Same here. Once the courses I normally play open up and the weather's actually decent enough to go to the range more than once every two weeks, I'll happily be posting about my 24.9 handicap and how I want to get it down :)

I basically had a playing lesson with the pros today. JB has me working on a system for my short game that could pay some huge dividends come July.

He will have this down with in 4 weeks. Morgan Cuppers beware.

Been there Howzat. Have had plenty of great short game sessions with that guy. Can't wait to hear how you progress from it.

Erik you are gonna be a force dude, just keep pushing.

Same here. Once the courses I normally play open up and the weather's actually decent enough to go to the range more than once every two weeks, I'll happily be posting about my 24.9 handicap and how I want to get it down :)

Still in a deep freeze here and I dont think anyone wants to hear about my simulator rounds. Although, I can update everyone on how my lessons have been going.

I'm still doing weekly lessons and now have my swing to a point where it's repeatable and my ball striking is out of this world. I've easily added 10 yards to each club in my bag. On Friday I went and hit balls out side with my friend who is a 2hcp and makes a habit out of taking my money every week. We always do target games at the end of our respective practice sessions and for the first time I beat him on the 168 target. It was a right to left wind at about 20mph that was coming in at about 2 o'clock, so the flag waz playimg about 180. I stuck 3 7 irons inside of 15 feet ftw. He was amazed at how much better my swing is since the last time he saw it in November.

I also joined two different amateur tours in the area so I can play as much tourney golf as possible. First event is 4/16 and then another the next week. It looks like I'll be playing at , east 2 tournaments a month leading up to the Morgan Cup.

Big weekend coming up! Heading down to the ATL for work, but getting in a day early so I can play 18 with my skipper Donne and my brother from another mother Jeremiah.

I'll definitely be more active in here now that things are starting to heat up.

Tapping away on my Galaxy 2 Note

Can officialy post scores starting next Tuesday up here. Finally. Wish I'd got a couple more warmup rounds in beforehand, but whatever. Off we go.

Can officialy post scores starting next Tuesday up here. Finally. Wish I'd got a couple more warmup rounds in beforehand, but whatever. Off we go.

#sandbagging

Great idea JB!

Robmypro (Rob)

Unknown
My goal is to get my hdc down to single digits.

Getting back into golf after 30 years (can you really call that "getting back into" after so long?) and really making a serious push. I practice almost every day, and have a plan to get to where I want to be. Taking lessons starting in April (group - it's a start), and might play my first round in May - if my range sessions continue to progress.

Had my first round today, a 42. I was so caught up in the fact that I ended the round with my first ever chip in that a bigger situation had gone unrealized. I could've scored a lot better. I had four three putts, which is very unusual for me. While I can rationalize it away by saying I had very little time actually practicing on real greens instead of in my basement, I know I'm going to focus on that more. But for the rest of the round I don't feel like playing exceptional. I felt I played pretty good and a lot of the practice that I put into my swing in the simulator I was seeing the results on the course today. And all the work that I've been doing just focusing on my new wedges when I do go out to practice is really showing dividends. My confidence level jumped when I got inside 100 and I could grab one of my new smart sole wedges.

Last year the 42 would've been one of my best nine holes of the season. Now I look at it and while I am happy with it I know I could've done a lot better. And that gets me excited and want to get back out to the practice greens keep working those wedges and really work that putter.

ArmyGolf
My goal is to maintain this handicap at worst, and hopefully get down to a 7 this year.

My main method of practice is simply playing rounds. I don't have a ton of time outside of work and family so I'm just a Saturday warrior for the most part. I have never taken a lesson and have none planned. My ballstriking simply needs to improve if I'm going to every get lower than I am now so that I'm not leaning on short game round after round to score. After #TheKing I may re-evaluate my golf life and start a complete swing overhaul with professional help.
Right now I think a 9.3 cap is generous and I'm surprised it's that low, but I guess I've had just enough good rounds to filter out the bad.

Somehow my cap has dropped to 8.5, mostly thanks to some really solid rounds in Palm Springs. I have been putting in a lot of meaningful practice in the last 4 months and apparently it's paying off just enough for my handicap to drop. I still think this cap is really generous to my game. My rounds in the Desert went as follows 84/78/85/80/85...it just shows that while I have some really solid rounds, my overall game isn't there yet.
Time to keep plugging away and work on the main flaws.

After my first 2 rounds, my cap has gone up from a 2.8 to a 3.1. Not much of a jump and its to be expected in the early season. My last 9 holes has really given me some momentum heading into the season. Once I get my putting in order, I can really start making moves.

As expected my cap is tending to 10.6 from 9.9. Inconsistency in the swing and mental game needs ironed out

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

As expected my cap is tending to 10.6 from 9.9. Inconsistency in the swing and mental game needs ironed out

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Its all good, just get that game In shape for Indy

So I just noticed the club I joined season officially starts 4/1/14. Will the previous 5 rounds I've syed and entered count towards an Index?

So I just noticed the club I joined season officially starts 4/1/14. Will the previous 5 rounds I've syed and entered count towards an Index?

Yes if played in places that were in season at that time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back