THP Handicap Watch & Update Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
...and I take it an index won't be updated until the 1st and 15th?

Not sure...I know the one through thp had been updating for awhile so urs might too. Try entering them now and seeing

In a couple days I think posting is opened for my region so not a bad time to post in here.

Apparently, my current index is at 7.8. I know that the handicap score is a measure of your potential but I feel inferior to this number. Why? Because of my wildly erratic play. I'm not one of these guys who shoots within 5 strokes each round out. I can go out and shoot a 78 then back that up with a 93. Heck, this summer when I shot the best round of the year at 75, I played the exact same course 3 days later and put up an 86.

This is mostly due to my hit or miss tee game. My iron and hybrid play has been pretty good but if I'm in trouble off the tee, its very difficult to score. The 2nd worst part of my game is <60 yards to the green, which compounds my scoring issues when drives force me to chip out and the like, causing me to turn bogies into double and worse.

So my goals are two fold this year.

1) Become much more consistent in scoring close to my handicap. I'm tired of blow up rounds. I plan to accomplish this by controlling my tee game, even if it means shorter drives or taking less than driver a lot more than I normally do. Part 2 is practicing <80 yard shots a lot, including green-side chipping and sand play. I want to get up and down much more consistently than I have in the past.

2) Lower my handicap to 6 or below. I believe if I can take care of 1), this should happen naturally.

I have been and will continue to practice as much as I can along with regular lessons to keep my swing sharp. Starting soon will be regular outdoor lessons where short game technique will be addressed.

In a couple days I think posting is opened for my region so not a bad time to post in here.

Apparently, my current index is at 7.8. I know that the handicap score is a measure of your potential but I feel inferior to this number. Why? Because of my wildly erratic play. I'm not one of these guys who shoots within 5 strokes each round out. I can go out and shoot a 78 then back that up with a 93. Heck, this summer when I shot the best round of the year at 75, I played the exact same course 3 days later and put up an 86.

This is mostly due to my hit or miss tee game. My iron and hybrid play has been pretty good but if I'm in trouble off the tee, its very difficult to score. The 2nd worst part of my game is <60 yards to the green, which compounds my scoring issues when drives force me to chip out and the like, causing me to turn bogies into double and worse.

So my goals are two fold this year.

1) Become much more consistent in scoring close to my handicap. I'm tired of blow up rounds. I plan to accomplish this by controlling my tee game, even if it means shorter drives or taking less than driver a lot more than I normally do. Part 2 is practicing <80 yard shots a lot, including green-side chipping and sand play. I want to get up and down much more consistently than I have in the past.

2) Lower my handicap to 6 or below. I believe if I can take care of 1), this should happen naturally.

I have been and will continue to practice as much as I can along with regular lessons to keep my swing sharp. Starting soon will be regular outdoor lessons where short game technique will be addressed.

Sounds like we have similar games and feel the same with how our cap relates to our game.

Sounds like we have similar games and feel the same with how our cap relates to our game.

If we team up at #theking we will either dominate or crap the bed.

Seriously though, I'm tired of the yoyo rounds. Let's both play some steady good golf at #theKing!

Seriously though, I'm tired of the yoyo rounds. Let's both play some steady good golf at #theKing!

Couldn't agree more! Its so frustrating to never be able to follow up a great round with another. I'd be happier shooting 81/81 than I would shooting 78/85 at this point.

Get one more round in tomorrow. Made some solid progress and dropped a stroke over the past month, 23.4 down to 22.6. At this rate, I'm feeling pretty good. Right now it's a matter of keeping up my lessons and not continuing to groove my swing.

Got to putt alittle yesterday. Weather still isn't cooperating up here. Sleet, rain and snow today as well...

Feeling good about my game and defiantly seeing improvement. Also I can really see where I need to improve my game. Need to make sure I let the club do the job and not me muscling up and trying to pound it. I feel if I stay nice and smooth I play so much better. Also short game short game short game, is where I need to get on it. Need to get dialed in so I can have some more 1 putts and take those 3/2 putts off my card. But anyways got my five rounds in so hopefully tomorrow I will see my first handicap posting.

I'm still sitting at 3.3 and trending to 2.9, even after the 80 yesterday. The current handicap is where I wanted it for the Morgan Cup, although it still feels more like a "vanity" handicap right now, because I just don't think that I'm really playing at a three. More like a five or a six.

Also, question for those familiar with the handicap indexes. My last revision was 3/15. Should I expect another revision shortly?

I'm still sitting at 3.3 and trending to 2.9, even after the 80 yesterday. The current handicap is where I wanted it for the Morgan Cup, although it still feels more like a "vanity" handicap right now, because I just don't think that I'm really playing at a three. More like a five or a six.

Also, question for those familiar with the handicap indexes. My last revision was 3/15. Should I expect another revision shortly?

GHIN revisions for GSGA are 1st and 15th of each month, year round.

Curious, do you have 20 scores entered into the system? If not, perhaps seeing that would give you the index you think you are playing at?

Curious, do you have 20 scores entered into the system? If not, perhaps seeing that would give you the index you think you are playing at?

I don't think that I do, which is why (I think) the handicap is artificially low.

I think I have about 15 scores in at this point. I hope to be up to speed soon, but it will actually take a while for me to get five rounds in.

I don't think that I do, which is why (I think) the handicap is artificially low.

I think I have about 15 scores in at this point. I hope to be up to speed soon, but it will actually take a while for me to get five rounds in.

Makes a little more sense, regardless mid to low single digits isnt too shabby.....for a lawyer

heading from 11.9 up to 12.4 thanks to 2 crappy rounds in Hilton Head.

Witt 4 decent scores rolling off all in a row definitely gotta play some decent golf out of the gate so it doesnt shoot up too high here quickly

Handicap season starts tomorrow up here in New England. Havent even sniffed a golf course yet and its currently snowing. I expect my handicap to creep up a little once I can finally start playing.

drp3434
My goal is to get to an 8 this year.

I only have 10 rounds put into my handicap, so it's got some bouncing around to do. My drive to improve due to #TheKing has me really believing that I can reach my goal. Signed up for my first lessons ever, and cab really see that they will help my game. Worked over the winter on a better putting stroke since that was a glaring weakness last year. I really like the feel of the new stroke, hoping it translates well to the course.

I'm right there with you guys. Very erratic play last year. 10 rounds counting. Best two were 5 and 7 over. Average score was 15.8 strokes over. That is just not acceptable.

Is everyone putting their ESC score in or are you guys just throwing in the actual score? I have my "Unoffical oob" handicap from last year that I used to calculate my course handicap, which in turn tells you the highest number you are allowed to post on your card. Just wondering if people were doing that?

Like when I played Waterlefe earlier in the month, my handicap from last year was a 15.2 and my course handicap was an 18 playing from the blues with a slope of 132 using this tool: http://www.usga.org/playing/handicaps/calculator/course_handicap_calculator.asp

According to this table (https://www.usga.org/handicapping/a...er-on-the-Equitable-Stroke-Control-Procedure/), with a course handicap of 18, I was not allowed to post a score higher than a 7 on any hole. I actually didn't anyways, came very close! Lol.

Still not enough rounds to formulate an "official" handicap for me. Courses should be opening soon here, so I will be getting out and getting some rounds in.

Yep I post with ESC.

Is everyone putting their ESC score in or are you guys just throwing in the actual score? I have my "Unoffical oob" handicap from last year that I used to calculate my course handicap, which in turn tells you the highest number you are allowed to post on your card. Just wondering if people were doing that?

Like when I played Waterlefe earlier in the month, my handicap from last year was a 15.2 and my course handicap was an 18 playing from the blues with a slope of 132 using this tool: http://www.usga.org/playing/handicaps/calculator/course_handicap_calculator.asp

According to this table (https://www.usga.org/handicapping/a...er-on-the-Equitable-Stroke-Control-Procedure/), with a course handicap of 18, I was not allowed to post a score higher than a 7 on any hole. Which I didn't.

Still not enough rounds to formulate an "official" handicap for me. Courses should be opening soon here, so I will be getting out and getting some rounds in.

Since Im not doing teh hole by hole input im putting in the ESC

According to this table (https://www.usga.org/handicapping/a...er-on-the-Equitable-Stroke-Control-Procedure/), with a course handicap of 18, I was not allowed to post a score higher than a 7 on any hole. Which I didn't.

I was told there would be no math...

I just put my score in. I suspect that I could occasionally take out a triple bogey here or there, but I'm not going to worry about it. My scores are what they are.

I am putting in my ESC score directly...although I forgot that I could only take a max of 7 a time or two yesterday.

According to this table (https://www.usga.org/handicapping/a...er-on-the-Equitable-Stroke-Control-Procedure/), with a course handicap of 18, I was not allowed to post a score higher than a 7 on any hole. I actually didn't anyways, came very close! Lol.

or...thinking out loud, those of us that didnt have an "official handicap" last year really wouldnt have anything established to dictate what our ESC limit per hole would be right?

or...thinking out loud, those of us that didnt have an "official handicap" last year really wouldnt have anything established to dictate what our ESC limit per hole would be right?

Ya I get what you are saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back