THP Handicap Watch & Update Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I know there have been similar update threads in the past, but we wanted to create a fresh start for 2014. Many THPers are interested in events such as The Morgan Cup, The Grandaddy, The Gauntlet and so many others and have spoken about working on their games. This thread will serve as host to discuss the handicap changes as they come.

While we have a what did you shoot today thread and a range/practice thread, which do a wonderful job of having a place that shows what you are working on or how you are playing, this thread will be here to show the results as the handicap updates officially.

If you would like to participate, start it off with where you are now, and what goals you have in place to get where you want to be. For instance this format would work rather well.

John Doe
My goal is to get to an 8 and have signed up for lessons starting next friday.

I believe that with the public approach, your THP friends can help hold you accountable and give you that extra motivation to strive to get where you want to be. I will kick it off.

JB
My goal is 1, but doing it differently.

Last year I wanted a complete overhaul, but was injured so was unable to make the move. This year the injury will be behind me and I have specific goals. I am now working with a new instructor that wants to work on only two things for me which is my take away and my balance. I am working with him once a month (and spots when needed) and its going to be a long haul as he revamps some things. Without a doubt I will trend the wrong way before getting to where I want to be, but I am 100% committed. I am also back to doing the short game work weekly that helped me get to where I was/am. Its a simple task and does not take a ton of time, but can be so rewarding.

These are my goals and I believe I will achieve them.

I currently sit at a 15.4. My goal is to get to single digits by July 25th. Up to this point in my life I have never really put in any practice or effort into lowering my handicap. Now that I have a goal, I have put everything I have into it and already have seen major changes in my swing and game. Now if only this stupid weather would stop I could see how it translates onto the course.

Mikedean441
11.9--Trending up big time once more golf is played
My goal is to be a traveling sub 10 index

MY game last year was extremely inconsistent and the only thing stopping my index from shooting up 1-2 strokes was a great 2 week stretch of golf in early July that is still in my calculation. I prepared quite a bit for the Morgan Cup, worked on my short game and took a few lessons. After the Morgan Cup I basically quit golf for a month and it really eliminated all the work I had done. I did manage to go out with THPERS and shoot a 78 in October, only to shoot 97 the next day. The lack of Golf post Morgan Cup has basically kept my index lower than it really should be.

I have purchased a 12 pack of lesson, currently I have completed 3 lessons. It is a swing overhaul that will allow me to stop masking some of my issues. The lessons will be taken every 7-10 days or so up to the Morgan Cup and hopefully I can be turned loose after that. Thanks to the Morgan Cup, Im as dedicated as ever to achieve my goals and change my swing to be a more consistent golfer. Im hoping to pick back up some of the power and distance I have lost since the fall of 2012 which will help me in oh so many areas. The area I will easily pick up the most strokes will be short game, since Im horrible greenside. Thanks to having a course 1 minute from my house, I will be practicing multiple times per week, and it happens to be the place where Im taking my lessons as well. For the first time ever I will have lessons specifically for short game, and Im very excited about the possibilities. Beyond this I have very precise statistical goals to reach as well, which I have passed on to my team. I WILL ACHIEVE THEM ALL!

Last edited:
salisboss
My goal for this season is under 18. Last year was the first year I took golf more seriously and I went from a 28 to 23.2. This year I have been hitting the ball alot this winter and have seen some instructors. I am still trying to find someone I like and can afford but it is doable. I have brought my bag into the 21st century equipment wise which has helped alot. I also need to continue to drop the weight and work on my flexibility.

• Admin
I currently sit at a 15.4. My goal is to get to single digits by July 25th. Up to this point in my life I have never really put in any practice or effort into lowering my handicap. Now that I have a goal, I have put everything I have into it and already have seen major changes in my swing and game. Now if only this stupid weather would stop I could see how it translates onto the course.

What are you working on or what did you set up as an outline to get there? Are you doing lessons?

Parshooter36
My goal is single digits by the time the Morgan Cup rolls around.

I have take some lessons this winter, and am really focusing in on my short game. Now that March is here my rounds should start counting towards my handicap again, so I am anxious to see how the work I've put in so far will translate towards my cap number.

Currently at 12, and my goal is single digits. While that might not seem far off, I started GolfTec lessons early this year, and am trying to make significant changes, so I think those 2+ points are doable, but will be challenging.

Aside from full swing work, I have spent a lot more time, this winter, working on putting. I need to save some strokes there while I work thru swing changes.

Great thread. I currently am a USGA 12.4, but I'm going to be most likely playing more around a 14-15 when we start getting more consistent golfing weather due to rust. My goal is to get myself under a 10, and I'm planning on starting lessons with a local pro when the weather breaks. The lessons, combined with my practice (I want to have a weekly range session, short game session, and round of golf at the very least), will definitely help me get to my goal.

My current handicap is 13.4 from last year since I have not been able to play this year in this cold snowy state. My Handicap goal is to get to a 10 handicap and hope I can drop it below that. This year I have really taken the bull by the horns and really stepped up my practicing to make my game better. The ways have I have done this is by getting a birdieball putting green in the basement, got a net in my basement so I can work on my swing, then the big one I started lessons up in February. Starting lessons real early has really helped me and by doing that I am fixing my swing hugely before the season even starts. I think a big push of help was me posting my Video on THP and Freddie giving me tips on what my issues were and what I need to do to improve. So right now I can start to see my swing has been improving and now I am starting to get down to the nitty gritty and having a great swing is close so close. I got lessons tonight, and my instructor is going to be doing some videoing of me to really see from his perspective of what he thinks my issues are.

What are you working on or what did you set up as an outline to get there? Are you doing lessons?

Yes. I have a 6 pack of lessons set up. Have gone through 2 already as well as the TM fitting which was kind of a lesson as well. Practicing putting every night and getting to the range as much as I can but really excited to see how it translates to the course. I have learned a lot about the Swing in general and it had helped me to understand why the ball does certain things. When I hit a bad shot, I can determine why and make the necessary changes or focus on a particular thing. I have a few training aids as well (Orange whip, Momentus, and impact training ball) so on days where I can't get to the range (when the weather allows) I go out in my backyard and use these tools. I really try to work on at least something every day even if it's just rolling a few putts on the birdieball.

Phenom4hire 23.6
Started off at 25+ and I am trending down pretty good right now.
My goal for now is a 15 traveling handicap that I will hopefully be at by mid summer.

I am playing more golf than I have in the past which is helping me groove my swing. I plan on taking some lessons and getting fitted at some point this year as well. For now I am focusing 75/25 with more focus on the short game and it seems to be paying off as I dropped 10 strokes under my average for my last round.

GHIN Handicap Index: 10.4

Goal: A comfortable 8

Plan: 2 main things
1. Continue spending the majority of my practice time on shots less than 100 yards. I've seen the results over the last month or so of what this can do for my game & I like it. It's turned a part of my game that I used to avoid into something that doesn't bother me.
2. Quit monkeying around with different putters. Pick 1 & stick with it. My putting used to be the most stable part of my game. Then I started messing around with several different putters of different sizes, shape & weight. This will probably be my biggest challenge becasue I like to tinker.

T2GRN18
10.1 (as of the end of the official season)

I'm nearing the end of a full swing overhaul through GolfTec. Short game work has taking center stage in my lessons. New fitted equipment throughout the bag for the first time ever is proving to be huge factor as well. Finally after the feeling of letting myself , my team and THP down in the Grandaddy if I'm ever faced with something like that again. I will be playing up to my potential.

Great thread!

Trout Bum
My goal is scratch and I have a plan to get there

After getting selected to play in The Morgan Cup my passion for the game got a little bump. Over the last year or so I haven't really practiced much and the handicap has slowly risen. My plan is to continue the range work that I've been doing, I've weakened and softened my grip for a little added clubhead speed and distance, I'm spending a lot of time around the greens as well. I have an excellent instructor in Myrtle I see every couple months for follow ups and he is giving me the direction and drills to achieve my goals.
I can achieve my goals.

Golferbest
My goal is to be a 3 by July

I used to be scratch before I took a 6 yr layoff. Ive been back in hunt for about 6 months. In the past six months ive worked mu butt off regrooving the muscle memory. After my last round and range session I believe its time to fine tune some things.
My short game needs some work. Its nowhere near where it needs to be. This will be my main focus for the next few months. One of the courses around me had a short game facility/practice area. Ive talked to the head pro out there and when my lessons start next month ill be able to use it.
My putting has improved drastically. I think I putt better now then in previous years. My setup, routine and stroke are solid thanks to RST. My troubles come from being able to judge speed based on greens and grain. Im working on this by doing a little reading books and taking a little more time to study greens.
Full swing feels good, might not be the prettiest but it feels good. Along with my shortgame lessons the pro and I talked about doing a full swing tune up. He likes alot of thjngs im doing just wants to work a little on balance and letting the arms pull the head up.
He is very understanding of my previous knee injury and doent want to overhaul the swing.
I truly believe if I focus on my shortgame ill be able to drop the 3 strokes off the handicap. Ive always been driven on my goals and never been one to give up so my dedication to this is 100. For me first but I have a team, forum and oem sponsors to represent.
#weworkharder

GregDan

My goal is to get down to at least a 1 or try and make scratch at some point this year.

I know it will be difficult and will take some work but I am ready and there will be a lot of changes not only with my golf game but with fitness as well. It's time to get up get out and get back in shape.

12.5, but it's a been a long time since I could enter a score. Can start again April 1.

My goal is a cheat-free and traveling 9.0 or lower by the end of July. By cheat-free, I mean I want to make sure I'm playing a variety of courses and from tee boxes that challenge me and are similar length to those we'll be playing at the Morgan Cup.

I've detailed my plans pretty thoroughly in the Practice thread, but briefly - I'm in the middle of lessons every two weeks, focused practice, and the process of improving my fitness and flexibility. I'd like to maintain or even improve my wedge and putter game, but at this time those are not my focus. My focus is on full swings. I'd like to gain yardage and improve my consistency with contact.

ArmyGolf
My goal is to maintain this handicap at worst, and hopefully get down to a 7 this year.

My main method of practice is simply playing rounds. I don't have a ton of time outside of work and family so I'm just a Saturday warrior for the most part. I have never taken a lesson and have none planned. My ballstriking simply needs to improve if I'm going to every get lower than I am now so that I'm not leaning on short game round after round to score. After #TheKing I may re-evaluate my golf life and start a complete swing overhaul with professional help.
Right now I think a 9.3 cap is generous and I'm surprised it's that low, but I guess I've had just enough good rounds to filter out the bad.

golf3rguy
4.4 ---> 2 or better
I need to play and practice more. Last year I lucky to play 9 hole on Wednesday for my work league, and other than that I was even more lucky to play a full round on the weekend. I'm just so caught up in the moment at work being a "new" employee and doing the best I can there to get ahead at work that I hardly have the time to hit the range and even the course. Being a semi-newlywed also has its affects as I can't get my wife into golf and that I would feel awful taking lots of time away from here to play or practice.

Howzat
Ended 2013: 8.9

I am still working out my 2014 goals, but I want to spend a few days on the course before I set anything in stone. I should be able to get that knocked out in the next few weeks. Last year was the first year where I met all the goals I set for myself and found some consistency with my game. I was lights out from Sunday at the Morgan Cup through the first week of September when I shot my PB. With the long winter layoff, I do expect my index to rise for the first month or so as I kick of some rust and some of those low scores from last year fall off.

I plan to continue the SeeMore Cyber Coach lessons and make sure my putting is solid. This was the area I needed the most work last year and I think I have really made this a strength of my game. It is a big reason that I was able to get my index where it stands right now. Short game is now the weak area and I plan to find a more methodical approach than I ever have. I tend to hit very in between wedge shots and fail to really commit or have confidence in them. This year I plan to go with more of a Dave Stockton approach and go with a high or low shot.

I should have much more info in the next few weeks, as I need to see how my game looks after the winter break and try to see if there is someone local that I can mesh with to get short game lessons. My biggest focus over the winter has been my health. I sought the help of a dietician and have been working out and eating much better. I am down 20 pounds and still have another 10-15 to go. I can't wait to see the benefits that this will have on my game.

12.5, but it's a been a long time since I could enter a score. Can start again April 1.

My goal is a cheat-free and traveling 9.0 or lower by the end of July. By cheat-free, I mean I want to make sure I'm playing a variety of courses and from tee boxes that challenge me and are similar length to those we'll be playing at the Morgan Cup.

I've detailed my plans pretty thoroughly in the Practice thread, but briefly - I'm in the middle of lessons every two weeks, focused practice, and the process of improving my fitness and flexibility. I'd like to maintain or even improve my wedge and putter game, but at this time those are not my focus. My focus is on full swings. I'd like to gain yardage and improve my consistency with contact.

This is another interesting one because so many input their index without using ESC. Now granted not a huge deal here, because of the goals and the trending the other way, but interesting anyway.

My last 5 scores or so have been kind of rough so I feel like I'm playing higher than that now. I haven't been able to practice much the last few months and it has been reflected in my scores. I haven't been able to take a lesson in a few months but now that my schedule is freeing up a little and the days are longer, I will be able to practice more and get with my instructor on a more regular basis. I'm shooting for a lesson a month, but that may increase depending on how my game is shaping up. My goal is still to get to scratch but I have a long way to go. I need to work on course management and short game as well improve my consistency with my tee game and approach shots. I hope this thread provides some extra motivation as I see everyone else working on their games.

Fupresti
4.8 (Tending Down)
My goal is to be down to a 1 by July 25. I am currently working with a new instructor to grove a more consistent swing. I am also working on my 40 yards and in.

Smithfaced
Goal is 6

I know that's a lofty goal but part of that 11.8 is playing in bad conditions and a bit of rust. I'm still a little caught between two swings right now but I've found a new instructor that I'm starting with next week. I've been putting a ton of short game practice in which is the reason my handicap is what it is. My goal is to turn that around and be able to say my handicap is low because of my short game. I also need to work on getting off the tee. That is my major downfall right now.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I want to play a bunch of different courses between now and the end of the season. Kind of like Hawk said, if all of your scores are on one course it isn't the greatest indication of your true handicap.

WCBM
6.1 GHIN at the end of last season.
Goal is to get to 5 or better by the end of 2014

I'm hopeful, but not sure what my playing schedule will be like. In the past I have pretty much played whenever I wanted, sometimes 5-7 times a week. With the birth of our daughter in September, some of my priorities have shifted slightly. My father is also sick right now so I have been bringing him to appointments which will continue for the foreseeable future. Point being, I know I will be playing golf and lots of it, just not on the freewheeling schedule I have grown accustomed to.

In order to reach my goal I need to be smarter this year with my time than I ever have been in the past. Each range session has to have a specific purpose and goal. I can't simply show up and pound balls like I have in the past. I also will need to put some time in on the putting green to get my stroke back to where it was at the end of last year. I putted really well in the second half of the year which made scoring that much easier. If that continues, I feel like my goal is within my reach.

Currently, the weather isn't helping. We are scheduled to get 5-7 more inches of snow today. The good news is that it is supposed to warm up to near 60 on Saturday which will hopefully melt all of the snow. Once that happens, it will be another 3-4 weeks before any courses and ranges near me open. I have a putting green in my basement which I have used in the past and will continue to do so. My big concern for the start of the season is getting my short game in shape fast. If I can do that, my goal will be that much more attainable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back