The best shot of the round

OGputtnfool;n8882168 said:
Had to have something. I mean, the title doesn't say it has to be a great shot, but something, somewhere, in the middle of all that... HAD to have been the best shot.

OK, I did hit some good pitch shots while scrambling my butt off

This is a cool shot because when you pull it off you get all the OOOOs and AAAAHHHs from your buddies. 50 yards out, flattened out my 56-degree wedge and slid it under the ball with a 1/2 swing popping it way up in the air and landing and stopping the ball 4 feet from the cup. That's what I got to experience today.

P.S. Second round in a row I had this experience, which is weird because you don't get many opportunities to hit this shot.

Had two awesome shots on the final hole today. First I piped a 310 yard drive uphill into the middle of the fairway. I then hit an 85 yard wedge to 4 feet. Missed the putt for birdie due to the greens being insanely sandy due to being punched.

Not many to choose from, but a 74-yd 5-iron punchout under the live oak tree branches for a GIR was the best this evening.

Missed my approach on a par 4 to the right. I ended up down a hill behind a bunker with 50 yards to the pin with my club hitting the bushes on my backswing. I had plenty of green to work with however, the green was downhill the whole way to the cup.

I landed my ball approximately 3 yards onto the green and rolled about 30 yards to 6 inches from the cup to save the par.

Last edited:
A 25-foot putt for birdie on the first hole. Basically, had lots of quality shots, but nothing really spectacular. But putting and chipping were solid all day long, so went with this putt.

second shot of my round was the best one. 50 degree wedge, tracked on the hole, bounced once, hit the pin inches high, and refused to drop.

Ugh. STUPID pin haha

Overall, I'd say putting. But when you are playing in a tournament with large punched and sanded greens from just 10 days earlier, putting is an adventure and not an exact science. So, I'll just say that despite this I canned two putts from beyond 20-feet and on better greens had a chance to sink about 6 others.

Drained a 30 - 35 downhill right breaking putt for birdie to turn a poor round around. Ended up making 3 more after that for 4 in the final 6 holes.

Fairway bunker shot. 8I was the best club I could get on it. Hit it clean and flew 90% of what my normal 8I flies.

One of my poorest tee shots yesterday led to my best shot of the round ...

Par 3 11th hole. 180 yards over a canyon. Tee shot short right into the canyon. Go to the drop zone which is easily 20 feet below the level of the green. Pin is on front and we can barely see the top of the flag from the drop zone. Another player hits first and we could tell it was going to be good. Crests the hill and lands softly on the green. I even commented that it couldn't be done any better than that. My turn and I hit a smooth wedge up. The first player gets to the green and hears my ball land softly near the pin, turns just in time to see it roll in the cup. Keep in mind I can't even see the result of the shot. Best shot of the round and I didn't even get to see it, lol. Heck of a way to make a par...

85 yard - 56* wedge. Hit 5 inches in front of the flag, one hop past and spun back to a 2 foot putt.

I know it's supposed to be the best "shot" of the round, but I can't help myself. I'm gonna nominate 3 shots in succession from last nights round (12 holes). It was the 12th hole and it was, basically, pitch dark. I couldn't even see the ball off the club. Figured I'd play that hole for my last unless I lost my ball, at which point I'd call it quits.

Anyway, I stepped up, piped a 272y drive down the left side of the fairway, then proceeded to put a 6i on the front of the green from ~167y. I had a long first putt since the pin was in the back, but I snugged it up close enough for a tap in par. All this, on the #1 handicap hole. I was definitely happy about that.

Head high 7i from 128 into a 2 club wind to 3'

Played with Tera and a couple on a course neither of us had played in a while. Have been really busy with work and had some back issues, but have progressed nicely and decided it was time to swing some clubs. Round was up and down and every post to the card imaginable, was a blast!

Par 4 345yds uphill playing 361.

Went to the other balls and they hit their approach shots. Kept going and looking for my ball and was getting frustrated not seeing it. You guessed it, was on the green 10 feet from the hole and made the Eagle putt!

Stoked is an understatement!

Still carded an 81 for the day with so many bogies, doubles, and one "other" with 3 birds and an eagle. Was good to get back out again!

Or it could have been the flop for bird on a P5 with the RTX 64 that landed and almost went in. Nope...the Tee Shot Rocket...drive for show AND put for dough.

Last edited:
Yesterday’s round. The best shot was a recovery shot. Fairway metal went crazy left. Left me 75 yards from the flag with a green side bunker to fly over and about 15 feet of green to the flag. Oh, and the ball was sitting on hard pan. Slid the club under the ball with a wedge popping the ball up in the air with good spin and watched it land and stick just 5 feet right of the flag. Made the putt for an improbable up and down for par.

On Sunday I hit a good drive on the par 5 9th hole and was left with 240yds to the middle of the green according to my watch
2nd shot is blind over the crest of a hill but there are trees in the distance you can use to pick your line

Pulled my ZU85 2i out of the bag and I knew if I hit it well there was a good chance I could get close to the green with how dry and firm the ground was, but I hit it so well I finished middle of the green about 12ft from the hole

Just missed the eagle putt, but tapped in the resulting birdie putt

I had 213 left to a back pin on a Par 5 this past Saturday over a pond front and Left of green. hit my RBZ 18.5 hybrid to right side with a draw and it rolled all the way to the back, missed the eagle, but a time birdie. Have to putt out birdies though in our group...3rd of the day

Almost drove the green again, hit it to fringe on a front pin placement, missed the eagle by a couple of inches, made the birdie.

Hitting the green from just inside the 200 yd marker doesn't happen very often for me, so a 188-yd 20.5* hybrid to do so yesterday takes 'best shot' over the 95-yd GW to 5 feet to setup a birdie.

GW from 112 into the wind to 1.5 feet to set up a tap in birdie.

From last Friday. On the back nine I hooked my first shot out of bounds and lost the golf ball. Went up to where I thought the ball went out and dropped a ball. My GPS said 215 yds to center of green. I hit 3-wood and when I got up to the green my ball was on the green 20 ft below the hole. I sank the put for a par. First time I've ever done that.

Chipped in for birdie after hitting a terrible approach shot with a GW. First chip in in a while.

fairwaynut;n8892922 said:
From last Friday. On the back nine I hooked my first shot out of bounds and lost the golf ball. Went up to where I thought the ball went out and dropped a ball. My GPS said 215 yds to center of green. I hit 3-wood and when I got up to the green my ball was on the green 20 ft below the hole. I sank the put for a par. First time I've ever done that.

It's an easy game... isn't it?!?! :wavey:

Back