The Golf Ramble Thread

Been hitting some really big drives lately now that the course is dry. Even more annoying when I don't turn it into birdies though.

Club Championship complete.

Two days of ups and downs, horrible bounces, putts that I can't figure out how they did not drop, but proud to walk away with a third place finish.

My five year goal is to finish this tournament under par. It's too much fun, and I think I am fully good enough to do it. Finished with a -3 33 on the back today and a follow up 9 continued the same -3. Ugh. What a ride.

At my club championship, the championship flight is for handicaps 0-9, A-flight is 10-14, and then B and C from there on out with handicap range of about 5 from low to high.

Since the championship flight has the widest margin of handicaps, the 8s and 9s have little chance of qualifying and even less of a chance of winning.

My goal as an 8 was to qualify for one of the 16 spots in the championship flight. Secondary goal was to finish as a 13 seed or better, as the top 3 guys are so much better than anyone else, I wanted to avoid them in the first round.

Well, I did qualify as the 13 seed this past weekend over the 36 hole qualifier. Mission accomplished. Surprisingly though, the best player in the club faltered a bit and dropped to the 4 seed. So now I get to play the best player in the field in the first round...

Good news is he is a great guy and a joy to watch play. Bad news is I am at risk of receiving some Steven Ames 9-8 memes.

Can’t wait - I am going to enjoy the day on Saturday. Since nobody is expecting me to do any damage, I really only have some upside as far as exceeding expectations.

Course Championship Sunday, gross only. Even with some rain it will probably be hard and fast fairways. I predict somewhere in the 65-95 range.

Hahaha, I love people sometimes.

Today’s round, playing at my usual pace, catch a group of 3 on 11. They watch me, then proceed to chip dink and dunk for 5 minutes and move straight to the next tee.

Ok, no biggie.

Next tee is a par 5 with a big hill you can get to if you get it about 270-275, I wait for them to clear the hill which took about 15 minutes, mind you I had to finish the previous hole while they tees off. So as soon as they’re clear I rifle one over the corner to land and catch the downslope, and it did. Take my time riding up, when I get there they’re about 75 yards in front of me, and take another 15 to finish the hole. As soon as they clear the green I actually throw an 8 into about 10 feet for an eagle putt thinking they’ll wait on the next tee after that.

Nope.

Next hole, short par 4 I always hit hybo on, I wait for them to get on the green and hit driver instead, was never going to get to the green (340) but I did have 67 yards left so they could see me clearly.

This time they finish and go tee and I’m already in my cart and finished with the hole (birddddiiiiieeee) by the time the last gentleman hits.

They talk to each other, loudly, for about three minutes discussing letting me through. Finally, I get a go ahead, and a warning that they’re all three hitting yellow golf balls too so be aware of them down by that 150 stick. I say thank you and walk back a tee box, then murder the ball (is there anything better than just pulling off the shot you want when playing through?) to which I hear, ‘yep, that’s by ours’.

I then drive up 50 yards past theirs to my ball only to hear “hey I don’t believe that’s yours, that’s mine, yellow titleist!”, it was my yellow Callaway which he saw when he drove up and picked up the ball to look. Silence. Hit a wedge to 17 feet, thanked them, and moved on.

Just had to chuckle, took me literally 60 minutes to play what should’ve taken 25 max.

Today’s round, playing at my usual pace, catch a group of 3 on 11. They watch me, then proceed to chip dink and dunk for 5 minutes and move straight to the next tee.

Ok, no biggie.

Next tee is a par 5 with a big hill you can get to if you get it about 270-275, I wait for them to clear the hill which took about 15 minutes, mind you I had to finish the previous hole while they tees off. So as soon as they’re clear I rifle one over the corner to land and catch the downslope, and it did. Take my time riding up, when I get there they’re about 75 yards in front of me, and take another 15 to finish the hole. As soon as they clear the green I actually throw an 8 into about 10 feet for an eagle putt thinking they’ll wait on the next tee after that.

Nope.

Next hole, short par 4 I always hit hybo on, I wait for them to get on the green and hit driver instead, was never going to get to the green (340) but I did have 67 yards left so they could see me clearly.

This time they finish and go tee and I’m already in my cart and finished with the hole (birddddiiiiieeee) by the time the last gentleman hits.

They talk to each other, loudly, for about three minutes discussing letting me through. Finally, I get a go ahead, and a warning that they’re all three hitting yellow golf balls too so be aware of them down by that 150 stick. I say thank you and walk back a tee box, then murder the ball (is there anything better than just pulling off the shot you want when playing through?) to which I hear, ‘yep, that’s by ours’.

I then drive up 50 yards past theirs to my ball only to hear “hey I don’t believe that’s yours, that’s mine, yellow titleist!”, it was my yellow Callaway which he saw when he drove up and picked up the ball to look. Silence. Hit a wedge to 17 feet, thanked them, and moved on.

Just had to chuckle, took me literally 60 minutes to play what should’ve taken 25 max.

I feel like that describes about 50% of my experiences when I come rolling up on a group as a single. Minus them blaming me for taking their ball, lol.

That Bryson LA Golf Shafts video is wild.

I did have a guy fishing steal my ball. It is a blind shot to cut the corner over the tree. I just murder it and as I am coming around the corner I see a guy grabbing something right where my ball was and sprinting back into the woods by the river. Looked didn't see him. Probably should have hit at him

Ok, no biggie.

Nope.

Next time headbutt them

Really looking forward to next week. Week off with no projects at home, so that means golf every...single...morning. :banana:

Temps looks to be upper 80's/low 90's so actually really nice for July in DFW area.

Pretty irritated with my game right now. I hit plenty of great shots but I'm just never stringing anything together. I can feel my swing deteriorating as I search for consistency. My short game is a disaster to the point that I'm better out of a bunker.

That being said, I find myself enjoying my time on the course more than usual lately as my "give a crap" over my score goes down.

Always identify your ball, especially in a tournament. . Was about to hit the wrong one when I decided to look. Sure enough not my ball. Mine was 2 yards away. Same brand model and number too.

Groups going off on the back.

Come on. We show up at 8 so we can get 18 in at a decent pace. No other people on the course when we head out.
Finish the front at a good clip, and 2 separate 2somes in front of us on the back.

Go play the front. It is called that for a reason! It is where you start!

This is the scorecard from a +1 handicap at my home club

Bet he was annoyed with the 2 bogeys and especially the double on the 6th - I am going to guess he hit his first tee shot OB left on that hole

Par - 72

dc34466b32f72c6b10ff7a3f8ef23453.jpg

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

This past weekend was the first time in memory that my buddies had a game and I didn't even want to play. Not sure if this is some natural dad-sense with a newborn at home, or just me being so fed up fighting my golf game. Certainly a new feeling for me.

This past weekend was the first time in memory that my buddies had a game and I didn't even want to play. Not sure if this is some natural dad-sense with a newborn at home, or just me being so fed up fighting my golf game. Certainly a new feeling for me.

I sort of went through that last year, just not wanting to be there. There was always something else I could have/should have been doing instead of golf. And when the results weren't great, I for sure didn't want to be there.

It passes. Hang in there.

Crazy to read this and to piggy back off @braddman19 ...

My last few rounds have been OK. Yesterday I enjoyed the group I was with and an 8am tee time to boot. I had nothing going and it just didn't bother me, like I didn't care that I 3 putted for bogey, pull drives, thin wedges, one beautiful drive topped about 130 yards. None of it put me in a sour mood which in years past it did.

I have other things going on in my life that are more important, nothing near having a newborn, but literally spending the last 3 years of my life playing, learning, and practicing golf I got to the point where I'm like "what else is left and what other accomplishments do I need with Golf?" When I said "None" then that was a lightbulb moment. I'll take a break and I'll always love Golf but sometimes other things become more evident.

Crazy to read this and to piggy back off @braddman19 ...

My last few rounds have been OK. Yesterday I enjoyed the group I was with and an 8am tee time to boot. I had nothing going and it just didn't bother me, like I didn't care that I 3 putted for bogey, pull drives, thin wedges, one beautiful drive topped about 130 yards. None of it put me in a sour mood which in years past it did.

I have other things going on in my life that are more important, nothing near having a newborn, but literally spending the last 3 years of my life playing, learning, and practicing golf I got to the point where I'm like "what else is left and what other accomplishments do I need with Golf?" When I said "None" then that was a lightbulb moment. I'll take a break and I'll always love Golf but sometimes other things become more evident.

Yeah I'm sort of trending that direction too. I've always been a self-competitive grinder on the course so I'm still irritated when I chunk a wedge from 110 or blade a bunker shot over the green into a pond, but I am quickly slipping into apathy. I've got some big things happening on the career front and a young family that needs as much time as I can give. I'm not sure where golf will end up on the depth chart as the dust settles.

I sort of went through that last year, just not wanting to be there. There was always something else I could have/should have been doing instead of golf. And when the results weren't great, I for sure didn't want to be there.

It passes. Hang in there.

I'm in that place right now. My golf earlier this year got progressively worse. I played in my Dad's member-guest in mid-June and it wasn't all that fun for me. Since then I have hit balls once, and that was with a 15 year old borrowed driver at a driving range when my son wanted to hit balls after playing mini golf. I've had a bunch of other stuff that has taken priority in that time (buying and selling a home is at the top of the list), but I'm not exactly missing the game at this point. I don't know when the urge to play is going to come back. The only other time it's been like this was when my son was born, but right after that was the winter up here so I couldn't play even if I wanted to. So this is very different.

Me and a buddy decided to play last night. Get to the course after work, 1 other car in the parking lot (thought maybe the course was closed). Nope, just dead. It was stupid hot during the day with a real threat of nasty weather in a couple hours. Guess that was enough to keep people away.

We played our round in 2hours, 44 minutes. The nasty weather never materialized (actually was sunny and really nice/hot), had the course to ourselves.

If I could pay 18 in under 3 hours, I would play way more often. Normally its 4+ hours because they pack them in so much

Oh, and I rambled off 6 straight pars at one point.... a first for me, I've never had more than 2! It was the weirdest feeling, but weird in a really good way.

Excitement and nerves are setting in. I'm going to play my first round of golf in 16 years today after work. It's a short municipal course. [par 62, 3892 yards, 59.2 rating, 93 slope] 10 par 3's no par 5s. I've learned that a lot of the greens are elevated. So things might get interesting (challenging). All in all stoked to get out and play.

Playing 36 holes in a day for the first time Saturday up in Canada, hopefully not too gassed by the end.

Had a really good talk today with the guy who runs the league I used to play in.

Just shootin the sh!t, talking about the decision not to play this year, why the league moved courses, and our games in general.

I really missed the discussions with the guy to be honest. One of those dudes that is older, but can totally relate to on every level.

#TheTaoOfVern

i need to erase today’s round from my memory. my 8yo wants to play tomorrow, so hopefully i’ll be back to hitting the ball well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

For the first time since Chi Chi, Puerto Rico will be represented by a PGA Tour cardholder. Way to go Rafa!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back