The Golf Ramble Thread

Strained shoulder. 2 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

47/34 is my biggest front to back swing ever and honestly it stings. How can I be so inept???

Oh yeah, I turned an 8" birdie putt into a 4 putt double and mentally collapsed after that. That's how.

ArmyGolf;n8875738 said:
47/34 is my biggest front to back swing ever and honestly it stings. How can I be so inept???

Oh yeah, I turned an 8" birdie putt into a 4 putt double and mentally collapsed after that. That's how.

What happened? Did it fall off a ledge?

ArmyGolf;n8875738 said:

how did you right the ship on the back 9?

JB;n8875769 said:
What happened? Did it fall off a ledge?
I went to quickly backhand it in the hole to get it out of the way of the other players instead of marking it, and didnt want to step on their lines. However, my Memphis putter has a rounded back edge and the ball deflected sideways and down a slope 20 feet away. This started a chain events of mental breakdowns before I steadied the ship and played great.
The struggle is real.

McLovin;n8875779 said:
how did you right the ship on the back 9?
Surprisingly, I actually kept my wits about me and knew that I was hitting the ball solid. Made ho hum pars on 9 and 10 before ripping a beauty 6i to 15 ft from 190 on the par 3 11th and the chase for redemption was on.

I have a LOT of freshman girls this year, and no boys, this is a problem down the road.

I don't mean this to whine, or am really even looking for sympathy. Just really wanted a space to explain some stuff that has been on my mind.

I'm at a spot many of us have been in - the swing & game have abandoned me for the past 4 or 5 months. About a month ago hit rock bottom to where contact was deeply compromised and there just weren't any good shots to offset the bad. It's been a tough summer in that regard. I did sprinkle one very good round (82) somehow in June, but other than that my confidence has been shaken. This coming from someone who isn't a very good golfer to begin with.

Have started slowly getting back to fundamentals, trying some swing work in the back yard at nights, etc. Little by little I'm seeing progress. Scores may not reflect it, but contact & ball flight has started to improve. Direction and dispersion are pretty much all over the place at the moment, but at least am starting to feel a little more sync and connection. Today I even hit half of my drives in the general vicinity I was aiming at. Baby steps. I'm going to keep my swing work going, taking time out for myself, not really pay attention to score, and try and slowly work to get back to a mid teen HC. God knows where I'm at right now.

One of the tough parts, I don't feel like I can really provide relevant info on many threads, particularly gear, right now. Things are so inconsistent that it's hard to make conclusions on any piece of equipment. Then there's the whole event entry. I'm extremely curious to try for a couple upcoming events. My game is in a state though, that I think I'd make a fool of myself, or even ruin it for some of the sponsors, participants, etc. I mean it - things are pretty embarrassing right now on the course.

It's a little bit difficult to engage, be part of events, etc, when confidence has been shaken like this. Hope to get things moving in the right direction; would love some live THPer interaction sooner rather than later, but want it to happen when things are "right-er."

Anyways, hope that helps explain a little bit some of the reasons behind me being distant recently. That and work picking up have put a bit of a hamper on THP time. I'm optimistic things will turn around on that front too.

I think it's time that I start playing around with swing weight in my irons. I keep thinking that having a heavier head and being able to feel the head now during the swing would help me a little more. I might have to pick up some more lead tape to experiment with even though I hate the idea of having lead tape uglying up my beautiful irons!

I never have paid any attention to swing weight until I went to a driver fitting and swung something heavier than the C8 I had. It felt better, but I didn’t buy anything that day. I ended up getting some lead tape and put it on the driver and it feels better. I don't have an exact swing weight right now, but I think it is around D1 or D0 and I can feel the head a little better

Reactions: KEV
i am getting so fed up with being inconsistent. i got the handicap down into the single digit and had been playing decently. the driver was money, irons on target, all was good. Slowly but surely my game has eroded. I can not hit a fairway to save my life nor is my miss singularly directional. Doubles, triples, penalties, lost balls are all apart of my game currently and has been for a while now. It is defeating

ArmyGolf;n8875738 said:

Dropped a 38/50 this weekend on a course that plays 35/37
Don't know what happened - Got on a Bogey Train on the back that I just couldn't get off.

Iceman!;n8897750 said:
Dropped a 38/50 this weekend on a course that plays 35/37
Don't know what happened - Got on a Bogey Train on the back that I just couldn't get off.

That train is real and works both ways. You just wanna be sitting on the right side of the train when it comes! And it's hard to get off when you get on the wrong train.

It is so silly when a couple in a cart rushes for 4 holes on the back trying to stay ahead of a single walker thinking they will be faster because of the cart. They finally got the hint when I hit it to 6 feet on a 200 yard par 3 front pin landing about 5 seconds after the walked off the back. Looked like I was 3 holes ahead when I walked off 18. Such a pointless effort to try and stay ahead of me on their part.

I am frustrated at the moment with my tee game, it just seems to have gone off the rails a bit recently, but despite that I haven't actually played that badly in terms of scores

Saturday for example, 1st tee (Driver) I pushed just off the right edge of the fairway, then caught a greenside bunker and a horrible lie with my second so had to aim away from the flag and walked off with a 2-putt par
2nd hole (6i) I played from the red tees with Jen rather than walking across to the usual yellow tees and I hit a high weak fade that buried in thick rough
3rd hole, another high weak fade (Driver) that the wind held up and left me shorter than I have ever been on that hole
4th hole, I finally managed to hit a decent tee shot with my ZU85 2i but due to the slope of the fairway it rolled just off the left edge
5th hole, another 2i that managed to hit the fairway
6th hole, probably my best tee shot of the round with the 2i again to the corner of the dogleg
7th hole, par 3 and I pulled the wrong club and landed just over the back of the green
8th hole, weak 4i fade again
9th hole, weak 9i fade that missed the green

Despite the terrible tee game, I managed 6 pars, 2 bogeys and 1 double-bogey for a +4 score, so it is a mixed feeling that I can still score okay despite not feeling like I played that well overall

Going to head to the range this week to sort things out and then play a round on Saturday at a course I haven't been to for quite some time before the final league match on Sunday

Where does it go.....Went to a new course this Saturday that i played years ago. Its been shut for two years for a complete redo. Get there plenty early and the range is not open yet....:banghead:. So putted a bit, swung a few times with weight to loosen up and hit a laser off the first tee and never looked back; until 17......i had been picking my line and hitting it down the line long all day. I hit such a snapper low diving hook off the tee into a face of the bunker. Tall grass at a 45 deg angle. 7 iron out about 50 yds and then played down the fairway, to the green. Two putt for a bogey.......had 3 birdies and ended the day with a decent score, BUT WHERE DID IT GO?

Watched the 1 hour show on Ben Hogan and his golf career last night on the Golf Channel. There was a lot of detail in the show I didn't realize... especially that his putting had abandoned him later in his career. They showed one clip of it that was extremely painful to watch. The monumental indecision over the ball, over and over on this one putt... and then missing the short putt. Watching one of the best golfers ever, do this... was shocking to me.

In the 80's, I had the privilege of being asked to play at Seminole GC in Juno Beach. I was in awe in the Locker Room seeing the legendary names on the lockers. Well, during the show last night, Seminole was talked about, how Hogan would play there for 6-8 weeks prior to the Masters, to tune up his game. Seminole, tee to green, is not anything super special, except for the Ocean views,,,, it's the greens and intense bunkers that separate it from other courses. I've never ever putted faster greens than those. I was told they stimped at 14-15'. It's what you imagine putting in/on a giant bathtub is like. Unreal!

I am still captivated by the famous 1950 US Open photo from behind, in perfect swing finish pose, at Merion, the 72nd hole on the 18th with a marvelous 1 iron shot. That shot, that comeback after near death, his legs failing him during 36 holes that day, epitomizes the tenacity of Ben Hogan.

Lastly, there was a scene of personal home movie near the end, of him hitting golf balls into the Ocean in south Florida. He looks like he is around 80 years old. I was shocked at how good his swing still looked at that age. He still had the really compact swing, with beautiful club head release and extremely quick shoulder turn through impact. Amazing!

Brassie ;n8903450 said:
Watched the 1 hour show on Ben Hogan and his golf career last night on the Golf Channel.

I've watched that show several times now and would watch it again.

Hogan must have been such a bad-a$$. It's hard to know how true some of the stories are. He had the reputation of being the best ball striker ever and if true, it was probably due to him having the most intense work ethic of any golfer ever.

His career is as impressive as any of the other greats. He just hit his peak too late in life. Can you imagine his total wins had he developed that swing as a teenager?

Went out for a solo round on Sunday. After passing a two-some on the 4th hole, I had the course to myself. The kicker....I posted the best round of golf in my life. 45/48 for 93!!!! Four pars, and even had a few chances at birdie.

JonMA1;n8903824 said:
I've watched that show several times now and would watch it again.

Hogan must have been such a bad-a$$. It's hard to know how true some of the stories are. He had the reputation of being the best ball striker ever and if true, it was probably due to him having the most intense work ethic of any golfer ever.

His career is as impressive as any of the other greats. He just hit his peak too late in life. Can you imagine his total wins had he developed that swing as a teenager?

Agreed, late start and WWII got in the way... AND the 1949 car/bus crash slowed him down because of the lengthy recovery and he played much fewer tournaments for years.

The win at Merion in the 1950 US Open is epic. Only 11 months after the accident that almost killed him and played with his legs bandaged up. Like I said, I still stare at that famous photograph in awe. I'm just so thankful somebody caught that moment on film. Back in the 80's, I was on business in the Philly area and made someone drive me out to Merion so I could see the course and take it in.

His 1953 campaign winning the three majors was also legendary. Six starts, Five wins, Three of them majors... he turned 41 yrs old that year and was probably robbed of at least 5 years out of his prime.

In the last month, I have been to Olympia Fields, Couer D'Alene, etc. All with THPers and all have been special. This year continues to blow me away and we still have so much more to go. Talk about humbling.

JB;n8903895 said:
In the last month, I have been to Olympia Fields, Couer D'Alene, etc. All with THPers and all have been special. This year continues to blow me away and we still have so much more to go. Talk about humbling.

You’ve been everywhere, man.

Due to work travel and other time-consuming events, I haven’t picked up a club in over a month. The worst part: I can’t say that I’ve missed golf that much. Yep, that’s what a few lousy rounds did to my fragile psyche (lol)! Luckily, I have a day off between contract negotiations, so tomorrow I’m going to head next door to Top Golf and just have some fun...hopefully, that will be the kickstart I need to want to get out on the course again.

Back