High School Golf Thread

Well today was the last day of qualifying and it didn't pan out unfortunately.

7 Golfers had already made the team shooting low enough. 3 spots were left to make the team.

He shot another 45 today and finished 11th, the kid in 10th beat him by 1 stroke over the 3 rounds to claim the last spot.

So that's 2 years in a row he got it down to the last day of qualifying and narrowly missed out.

He's down but now he knows what he has to clean up in order to make the team as a Junior, most notably his short game. Tough pill to swallow but I feel bad for the kid. Thanks for those who followed along.

That's rough, only 1 stroke over 3 rounds. Like I said earlier in the thread, averaging 45 here would easily make the team, and at most schools be in the top 5.

I just got informed via text that one of my kids is quitting, cracks me up they cannot even come and have a face to face talk.

A starter two years ago who shot 80's for me, then couldn't break 100 last year, Fortnight got in the way of his practice....but he would say it was the other way around.

He's gonna win $3 million next year is what I assume he is telling himself.

He's gonna win $3 million next year is what I assume he is telling himself.

He doesn’t have that....capacity. More of a I’m going to do as little as possible and expect to be good kind.

I’ll add in here, I got to play with my recently graduated, all state, and college golf bound kiddo yesterday.

I also witnessed him put up a -4 68 from 7000 yards.

My level of proud can’t go any higher. He was my first four year golfer, and I’m going to miss him dearly. He’s going to be a four year starter though in college, I’ve no doubt.

Anyways, good luck to your nephew. Hate seeing him that close yet not making it, and there’ll be a lot of “what if’s” going through his head. Encourage him to keep working on getting better and next year he’ll breeze through qualifying.
Tough one on the 4 footer for your son. He definitely has what-ifs going on because his short game really hurt him he said. He found 1 bunker in 27 holes and didn't get out on the first shot. Got out the 2nd time. Missed the bogey. Double. He made too many doubles. That's why after Day 1 it was a nice cushion shooting 43 but agh, oh well.

He shot a PB 77 from the tips in June with his dad, cousin, and me, but since then hasn't broken 90. Golf, right? Hah.

campilobaxter said:
Dang dude, that's rough. I'll be looking forward to next year when he makes the team.
For sure man! He's a little bitter because his cousin made his golf team as a Sophomore despite not shooting well. But that coach took all 12 kids who tried out. While my nephews school only took 10 kids. I guess 6 play? So it isn't like he'd play a lot but at least he'd be on the team and get a few rounds against "lesser" schools or whatever. He worked hard, had lessons from 2 different instructors the last 6 months but the short game is what did him in. His full swing is good, but his touch from chipping to 50 yards is not good, he cleans that up then no reason he can't shoot low 40s next year.

gonyr said:
That's rough, only 1 stroke over 3 rounds. Like I said earlier in the thread, averaging 45 here would easily make the team, and at most schools be in the top 5.
Averaging 45 gets him on at the neighboring 3-4 schools around him, assuming they even have a Golf team. But this school is one of the best in the state so you have to shoot well. One kid made a 10 on the Par 5 9th and still shot a 38. The fact that 7 Golfers already made the team before the last day says something, I think he mentioned that those kids were on the team last year so they know what they have to shoot to make the squad, plus when you know you're breaking 40 each time out you feel pretty good.

Sorry to hear about the tough bounce on making the HS team CobraX51. Daughter just missed going to state this spring in similar fashion but then bounced back with a good JR tournament run this summer. Kids that are committed and work at the game bounce back like that and certainly sounds like your nephew fits in that model.

Man. Just got a phone call from my nephew and some great news.

The coach offered him a spot on the Practice Squad. He wouldn’t be on the team but the coach did say he would try to get him in a match or two this golf season. I’m not exactly sure how that works but regardless...

He gets to practice with the team. Learn from this new coach, work on his short game, make some friends, etc.

Already like the new coach haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The coach offered him a spot on the Practice Squad. He wouldn’t be on the team but the coach did say he would try to get him in a match or two this golf season. I’m not exactly sure how that works but regardless...

He gets to practice with the team. Learn from this new coach, work on his short game, make some friends, etc.

That’s awesome... I wish we could do that. We cut some seriously talented kids who would be studs at other schools but we are just a really solid squad.

That's great news. Around here, practice squad means they get to practice with the team every day. For matches, when there are tee times available, they play in an exhibition match against practice squad kids from the opposing team. It doesn't count towards the team score or the results, but they play the same course in the same competitive situation. The only catch is they go last, so if darkness becomes an issue late in the season they might not finish. Other than that, they're essentially on the team, but don't qualify for a varsity letter.

That's worth so much. Just the daily practice and being around the team will really advance his game. Great job by the coach to nurture him and keep him interested in the team.

That's great news. Around here, practice squad means they get to practice with the team every day. For matches, when there are tee times available, they play in an exhibition match against practice squad kids from the opposing team. It doesn't count towards the team score or the results, but they play the same course in the same competitive situation. The only catch is they go last, so if darkness becomes an issue late in the season they might not finish. Other than that, they're essentially on the team, but don't qualify for a varsity letter.
I have no idea how the practice squad but this makes a lot of sense and I like the concept. It offers some competition like you mentioned.

It's a good opportunity for him and at least shows the coach he's willing to do this and bodes well for trying to make the team as a Junior.

dduarte85 said:
That’s awesome... I wish we could do that. We cut some seriously talented kids who would be studs at other schools but we are just a really solid squad.
It's a good problem to have don't get me wrong, having an already good squad and having the best 6-10 players on the squad bodes well for you and other coaches who coach at top high schools.

That's worth so much. Just the daily practice and being around the team will really advance his game. Great job by the coach to nurture him and keep him interested in the team.
That's exactly what I told him. He gets to see how talented the top kids are on a daily basis, or however often they practice. My nephew can play and practice about twice a week, so it's no surprise he flirts around the 40s. The top kids practice and play probably everyday or every other day and shoot the scores they shoot. His goal is still to make the team as a Junior, he understands to be in the Top 6 he has to be breaking 40 consistently, but at least this gives him room to work on his game and work with the coach.

I have no idea how the practice squad but this makes a lot of sense and I like the concept. It offers some competition like you mentioned.

It's a good opportunity for him and at least shows the coach he's willing to do this and bodes well for trying to make the team as a Junior.

It's a good problem to have don't get me wrong, having an already good squad and having the best 6-10 players on the squad bodes well for you and other coaches who coach at top high schools.

That's exactly what I told him. He gets to see how talented the top kids are on a daily basis, or however often they practice. My nephew can play and practice about twice a week, so it's no surprise he flirts around the 40s. The top kids practice and play probably everyday or every other day and shoot the scores they shoot. His goal is still to make the team as a Junior, he understands to be in the Top 6 he has to be breaking 40 consistently, but at least this gives him room to work on his game and work with the coach.

We only carry 7 and usually only bring 5 players. We are a private school so we play the spring season while public is fall. Our league is a mix of talent but every school is on the same financial playing field. Our end of year tournament was an interesting experience, we won by 11 strokes with our no 3 shooting 68 while other schools had kids shooting 97.

And by golf coach, I should say I drive a van. These kids have outside coaching, belong to amazing clubs, and play year round with off season grips to FL and national AJGA events. They SHOULD BE GOOD

Alright so IÂ’m not going to update this all the time but just to give an idea of what this high school golf team does.

Their first match was yesterday at beautiful Buckhorn Springs against a local high school.

They won by 60 strokes. The highest score for Plant was the 6th Golfer who shot a 41.

The Top 4 Golfers for the other school were beat by 15 strokes each.

Crazy.

941fbd8b52329fd4308485c84cd99195.jpg

Our High school "B" in Florida played yesterday in a Quad match. My kid had a broken hand and missed the first 4 weeks of the season. Played in his first Varsity match yesterday as a freshman. Had no idea what to expect and he shot a -1 35. As a team we were -2. 34-35-36-37 with a total of 142. Again, this was our "B"Team. Second place team shot a 165, Third 210, and the host team 224.

I was going through the Odyssey Triple Track Putters thread & saw these posts from Jman:

I want you to roll my 2-ball....putter. Seriously though, it’s obnoxiously effective. I’ve been working it with HS kids who CANNOT align putts and it’s legit.

I make my HS girls use TT from tee to green because it works so well. Plus, with our rules they always get a grip length and to place the ball.

So James, my question is - what exactly do you have your kids do with the TT putter? I assume you only have one? Anything you can share as far as how you organize your time on the putting green for the kids?

Because as Sean Toulon said recently, "most golfers have no idea how bad they are at aiming." And I'll amend that by saying High school golfers are even less aware how bad they are at aiming.

Seriously - I can see getting a TT putter just for practice

Oh, long time no post. :ROFLMAO:

So, COVID took our season last year after one tournament and I lost 7 senior boys who I’d worked with for four years, so there was no payoff like there should have been for them. The girls were all juniors and freshmen, so we got lucky there.

Now, my girls are going to be good. Good enough to make a legitimate run at it all in 4A. Will start 4 seniors that have 3 being mid to upper 80’s golfers and 1 who should legit be upper 70’s. That’s deadly in girls golf. Add in a couple sophomores who can shoot low 90’s abs upper 80’s and competition for the 5 spot is good.

Now the boys are a bit of a wreck. My 1 bag is a low 70’s kid as a Senior, and the 2 right now is low 80’s, but after that it’s likely a Junior who wasted last year back in baseball and I did all the work we had started, a senior who’s just a good kid, and two freshmen of which one is physically ready and the other is not. Now, there could be a big shakeup coming, I hope, that change our entire outlook, but for now my goal is to get my top two qualified.

Middle school is where all my boys talent is right now. There are three eight graders who are low 80’s from about 6400 right now, then three more who are low to mid 90’s...as 8th graders that’s huge. They’re the group that in a couple years will make a LOT of noise and have a shot to take down some private schools.

Going to try to update more, if nothing else, it’s good for my brain because the wife doesn’t want to hear about it :ROFLMAO:

Great thread, didn't even know it was here.
Here in NY our sports have become a nightmare with the Gov. Cancelling all sports until Jan1. Our boys golf is played in the fall. They are condensing our three sports seasons from Jan 1-June. The fall Season is supposed to be March 1 - May 1, but that is an issue in NY since many of our courses don't open until April 1. So they Staggered moved the golf season back to May 16, and overlaps is with Girls which is supposed to start May 1. So crazy, with the golf surge and double teams at their home courses, it is going to be a mess.

That being said it is a shame because this was the season I thought would be one of our best. I have had my 3 current seniors on the teams for the past 5 years (since they were in 8th grade, and they all played on our County Championships teams during their 8th and 9th grade years,), one is committed to a Div 2 team and the other two's recruiting process has been stalled thanks to Covid and travel restrictions, all three shot 158 or better in last years county championships so all are capable of putting up mid 70's rounds or better in tourns. and averaged 37.5 or better in matches (we play 9 hole matches in NY). Beside my seniors I have 2 solid Juniors who have started the past two seasons (both averaged around 40 last season) , as well as a freshman who has been a starter since 7th grade (he is 6'3" and his 2 brothers and sister all played/play div 1 golf, averaged around 39 as a 8th grader) and shot 160 in County tourn). I also have another freshman battling for a spot in the 6 man roster who has played extensive tourn golf, and anchored his PGA Junior league team at the Nationals last year in Arizona. In the wings I have two 6th graders who are also very involved in tournament golf, and last year we had 30 on our JV teams (competitive team and practice squad).

In regards to our girls this year, we just graduated 4 from our back to back county championship team. So it should be interesting there. I do not coach the Varsity girls any longer as they play in the spring and my daughter plays lacrosse in the spring so I gave it up to be able to watch her play, and travel a little more to watch her play in college. Not to mention their current coach is outstanding, and always get the most out of the kids.

@Coach Sean yeah, COVID and the carryover year is causing a lot of kids around here to not get the offers they would normally, forcing a lot to think about juco’s which is fine, but it’s sad because they should end up elsewhere.

@Coach Sean yeah, COVID and the carryover year is causing a lot of kids around here to not get the offers they would normally, forcing a lot to think about juco’s which is fine, but it’s sad because they should end up elsewhere.
I have seen it in golf, as well as other sports. I think that carryover year really hurt the 2021's. I really saw it in girls lacrosse (a lot of div 1 talent girls who were in talks before covid, suddenly got ghosted by the schools they were talking to, many ended up at div 2's or 3s.).

Oh, long time no post. :ROFLMAO:

So, COVID took our season last year after one tournament and I lost 7 senior boys who I’d worked with for four years, so there was no payoff like there should have been for them. The girls were all juniors and freshmen, so we got lucky there.

Now, my girls are going to be good. Good enough to make a legitimate run at it all in 4A. Will start 4 seniors that have 3 being mid to upper 80’s golfers and 1 who should legit be upper 70’s. That’s deadly in girls golf. Add in a couple sophomores who can shoot low 90’s abs upper 80’s and competition for the 5 spot is good.

Now the boys are a bit of a wreck. My 1 bag is a low 70’s kid as a Senior, and the 2 right now is low 80’s, but after that it’s likely a Junior who wasted last year back in baseball and I did all the work we had started, a senior who’s just a good kid, and two freshmen of which one is physically ready and the other is not. Now, there could be a big shakeup coming, I hope, that change our entire outlook, but for now my goal is to get my top two qualified.

Middle school is where all my boys talent is right now. There are three eight graders who are low 80’s from about 6400 right now, then three more who are low to mid 90’s...as 8th graders that’s huge. They’re the group that in a couple years will make a LOT of noise and have a shot to take down some private schools.

Going to try to update more, if nothing else, it’s good for my brain because the wife doesn’t want to hear about it :ROFLMAO:

Good luck with both teams this year James! You're not teaching there, just coaching now?

Great thread, didn't even know it was here.
Here in NY our sports have become a nightmare with the Gov. Cancelling all sports until Jan1. Our boys golf is played in the fall. They are condensing our three sports seasons from Jan 1-June. The fall Season is supposed to be March 1 - May 1, but that is an issue in NY since many of our courses don't open until April 1. So they Staggered moved the golf season back to May 16, and overlaps is with Girls which is supposed to start May 1. So crazy, with the golf surge and double teams at their home courses, it is going to be a mess.

Weird. Out here in the Buffalo area (section VI), our golf season was played in the fall, starting in late September, along with the other low risk sports like cross-country. They started late because of COVID, and lost about a month. But they got the full season in, although very compressed. I think it was one week of practices, then all their matches within just over two weeks after that.

Yeah I need to have a chat with @Jman about coaching. So next year my daughter will be trying out for the middle school team & the Golf Director asked me if I would be interested in coaching the team.

I chuckled out loud, because I don't know if I could muster the patience to coach middle schoolers, nor provide the instruction that they would need.

Question for all the coaches out there...how in depth would one expect from a middle school coach?

Yeah I need to have a chat with @Jman about coaching. So next year my daughter will be trying out for the middle school team & the Golf Director asked me if I would be interested in coaching the team.

I chuckled out loud, because I don't know if I could muster the patience to coach middle schoolers, nor provide the instruction that they would need.

Question for all the coaches out there...how in depth would one expect from a middle school coach?
Expectations for a JV/MS coach would be to introduce the game (basic fundamentals, etiquette and the little things that goes with being at a golf course and taking care of the course), rules, and most of all fun. A lot of fundamentals can be taught through fun little games and drills. I look at it as preparing the kids to be ready to get out on the course and get around, and to make sure they have fun and want to keep coming back. In addition to being a coach I am also the youth director at our course, and I look for people who are enthusiastic about the game, and who can relate to kids.

Weird. Out here in the Buffalo area (section VI), our golf season was played in the fall, starting in late September, along with the other low risk sports like cross-country. They started late because of COVID, and lost about a month. But they got the full season in, although very compressed. I think it was one week of practices, then all their matches within just over two weeks after that.
Yeah, I am here on Long Island and we were completely shut down. The wouldn't even allow certain sports to start now.

Expectations for a JV/MS coach would be to introduce the game (basic fundamentals, etiquette and the little things that goes with being at a golf course and taking care of the course), rules, and most of all fun. A lot of fundamentals can be taught through fun little games and drills. I look at it as preparing the kids to be ready to get out on the course and get around, and to make sure they have fun and want to keep coming back. In addition to being a coach I am also the youth director at our course, and I look for people who are enthusiastic about the game, and who can relate to kids.
That is exactly the expectation I had in mind when approached with the opportunity. So many kids in this area already have swing coaches m, etc! I think it’s a great opportunity to share my enjoyment for the game.

That is exactly the expectation I had in mind when approached with the opportunity. So many kids in this area already have swing coaches m, etc! I think it’s a great opportunity to share my enjoyment for the game.
Sounds like you check all the boxes. Have fun, you will get as much out of the experience as the kids will! Good Luck!

Above all else at that age...and what I’ve told my JH coach I want for that part of the program....

1) FUN.

2) Fundamentals.

3) FUN.

4) Rules and etiquette.

5) FUN.

That’s the age the hook is set, not when they become world beaters. If they fall in love with it then, then they will love the game the rest of their lives, and that matters more than ANYTHING else.

Above all else at that age...and what I’ve told my JH coach I want for that part of the program....

1) FUN.

2) Fundamentals.

3) FUN.

4) Rules and etiquette.

5) FUN.

That’s the age the hook is set, not when they become world beaters. If they fall in love with it then, then they will love the game the rest of their lives, and that matters more than ANYTHING else.
...and this right here is what I expressed I would be striving to deliver!

HUGE news for my boys program.

Can’t say anything yet, but it’s always nice when passion shows through.

It’s happening 👀

Program. Changer.

Back