Collapse

Below Nav Bar Ad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Be ready to hit always, who ever is ready first, just go. this means off the tee, fairway or putting. Honors on the tee only for birdies or better. If the guy with the honor is ready fine, but if they are fumbling around for something, too bad, someone else goes. This is how me an my buddies play.

Comment

Originally posted by dazeedmonds View Post

Iím going to have to slightly disagree with you. I think ready golf can be a fix for a lot of issues with slow play, if not all slow play issues. Ready golf is very much a mentality. I donít often see players with long drawn out routines playing true ready golf. A long routine for any shot is an anathema to the idea of ready golf. The ready golf mentality understands the importance of playing a decent pace, and accepts that a long routine is going to prohibit a quick pace.

To answer the question posed by PhillyV : Ready golf to me, is being ready to hit the ball when itís your turn, and your turn starts as soon as you get to your ball, and itís safe to play your shot. For me when Iím walking I walk up to the point of the person thatís farthest away from the ball (if Iím close to their line at all) and while theyíre hitting their shot, Iím mentally prepping for my shot. As soon as they finish their swing Iím on my way to my ball, and usually ready to hit within a minute of arriving at my ball. Hit the ball, do it again.
      Maybe you're right. Usually when I hear people say a golf isn't playing ready golf they're referring to them watching others hit, etc. I'm speaking about what I see at the courses I play. Many here at THP play more golf than I do so YMMV. The problem is that what constitutes "long drawn out routines" is relative. You say that you are ready to hit within a minute of arriving at your ball. To some that might not be ready golf. I generally hit within 15 seconds of getting to my ball, but I'm fine with you hitting within 1 minute. What ready golf is becoming is shorthand for speed golf.
      Spoiler
      M9 Cart Bag
      M1 2017
      Exotics EX10 Beta 4W (16.5*)
      King F7 #3-4H (19.5*)
      Edge 5-PW
      F8 5-GW
      RTX-3 CB 54* & 68*
      TFI 2135 1.0
      Z Star

Comment

I didn't read all the responses, but from the first 9 or 10, it looked like they were pretty much spot on.

I'd say, hit when ready as long as you won't interfere with others. Walk straight to your ball (or straight back to it when you realize you missed it and walked past it). If you can't hit yet, at least check your distance, laser the flag, check your GPS, pick a club, put your glove on, and whatever else you need to do before you are free to hit.

Jman, since you said order is important on the tee, I'm wondering, do you stress that greatly with your players or just the birdie or better that many do. Heck, for me, unless it's a competitive situation against someone else, I think the order on the tee is insignificant. Furthermore, I'd almost prefer to go last as it'll give me an indication of how much the wind is gonna mess with the ball, etc.

For those who say to putt away when you're ready on the green, I wonder, if two players putt simultaneously and the balls hit, who is penalized? Both?
        C130 bag & 3.5+
        M5 440 9į w/ HZRDUS Smoke 6.0 @ 45.5"
        Epic Flash SZ 3wd w/ Rogue Max 85X @ 42.5"
        M4 5wd w/ HZRDUS Black 6.0 @ 42"
        Dynacraft Genesis 4h w/ LZ 6.0
        Dynacraft Prophet MB 5-PW w/ LZ 6.0
        Titleist Vokey SM6 52F, 56F, 60L w/ Modus3 125 wedge shafts
        Stroke Lab Marxman @ 33" w/ Flatso 3.0
        Tour Velvet & Snell MTB or ChromeSoft X
        ---
        SLDR 3h w/ HZRDUS Black 85g, 6.0
        VS Proto 70X @ 44.25"
        HZRDUS Black 75g, 6.0 @ 44.5"
        AccuFLEX Evolution R @ 44.5"
        Wishon 550c 5-6 & 550m 7-PW w/ Modus3 Tour 120 stiff shafts

Comment

At your ball, mental routine complete, physical routine ready to begin when itís your turn to hit.
          EPIC Flash 10.5* HZRDUS 6.5 75 Black
          GBB EPIC 15* HZRDUS 6.5 75 Black
          GBB EPIC 18* Whiteboard 83 S
          GBB EPIC 4H 23* RIP Phenom 105 S
          X Forged UT 27* 6.5
          APEX MB 18 6 - AW 6.5
          MD4 56* C Grind and MD4 60* X Grind 6.5
          Chrome Soft
          Toulon Design Indianapolis or Toulon Design Long Island
          #TheGrandaddy 2016 CHAMPIONS #TeamUNITY

Comment

It means doing as much as you can to be ready to hit before it's actually your turn to hit and, when it would improve the flow and pace of play, hitting even if it's not your turn according to the rules of golf.
            My Chev stand bag contains:
            WITB

F7 10į
            XR 4-wood LZ stiff
            X2Hot 3 hybrid 19į
            King Forged CB/MB Black irons (Courtesy of THP's Holiday Cheer 2018!)
            MD4 Tactical 54į SuperSpin 58į
            White Hot RX#2
            Z-Star

Proud participant in the 2014 Morgan Cup!

Comment

My question is .... is there a difference between ready golf & speed golf?

Seems as though a lot of the comments are speaking about hitting the ball as soon as possible.
              Driver: TS2 HZRDUS Smoke 6.0
              Fairways: TS2 13.5* & TS2 19* HZRDUS Smoke
              Irons: 718 T-MB 4-iron & AP3 5-PW Pxi 5.5 MCC Align
              Wedges: Vokeys SM6 48*, 52*, 56*
              Putter: Newport
              Ball: ProV1

2017 Ultimate Club Testing Event w/ Titleist
              2018 THP Championship
              2019 ????

"Competitive golf is played on a 5 1/2 inch course ... the space between your ears."

Comment

Originally posted by golfinnut View Post

Seems as though a lot of the comments are speaking about hitting the ball as soon as possible.
                Being ready to hit when itís your turn, or when it makes sense, vs trying to finish as quickly as possible. I donít run to my ball, and I donít hit as soon as I get there, but I do make sure Iím not dilly dallying.
                In My 2018 #TheGrandaddy
                Alpha Convoy cart bag:
                Driver: Epic Flash
                FW: Epic Flash 3w
                Hybrids: Big Bertha 3/4/5 Recoil ZT9 F4
                Irons: Big Bertha 5-AW Recoil ZT9 F4
                Wedges: 2019 PM Grind 54į Recoil 95 F3
                Putter: Stroke Lab 2 Ball Fang OR Stroke Lab EXO 2 Ball
                Ball: ERC Soft

Comment

Originally posted by golfinnut View Post

One is exercise the other is the way a casual round should be played. I can walk 18 in like 2 hours or slightly less with no waits but I don't consider that anywhere close to speed golf. My course is old school and very easy to walk.
                  #GOLFBUM #INTHENATIVEAREA #PAJAMAGRAM #AWAYCAP 4.8 #DILLYDILLY
                  GBB Epic 10.5 Rogue Silver 130MSI 70TX (thanks THP)
                  Aeroburner 3W 15*
                  Tight lies 16* Fubuki 3w x
                  Pro 23* 4H
                  Maltby PTM Forged 6-PW FST 125X
                  Maltby M-Series + 50, 54, 58 DG Spinner
                  Matlby Pure Track PT Putter w/ Fatso 5.0
                  Chrome Soft X
                  Everyone plays slow and the greens aren't fast enough

My work is done here time for a nap

Comment

Be safe. Be respectful for your partners. Go as fast as possible. Donít sit around watching partners

Comment

Everyone goes to their ball and when the person behind you hits, hit your ball. I cannot stand groups when each person go as a group to everyone's ball and watches the others hit.
                      In My Bag:
                      10.5 EXS Driver
                      Original One Driver 13.5
                      5 EXS Fairway Wood
                      7 EXS Fairway Wood
                      5 EXS Hybrid
                      6 EXS Hybrid
                      C300 Forged Irons 7-GW
                      Mack Daddy PM 54 Wedge
                      Mack Daddy PM 58 Wedge
                      Mack Daddy PM Grind 64 Wedge
                      O-Works 2 Ball Fang- Gamecock Red
                      Possibly the most important: Ball retreiver

Comment

Originally posted by seastrunk View Post
                        . I cannot stand groups when each person go as a group to everyone's ball and watches the others hit.
                        This is common among high handicap players, and a large part of what makes for slow play.
                        Also, cart riders commit the same fault, having one player sit in a cart watching while his cart partner plays a shot.. Rather than watch, the cart rider should get out and walk to his ball (or if his ball is far away he may let his partner out of the cart and then drive himself to his own ball).
                        My observation is that high handicap players are more prone to the above slow play habits, mostly because they do not know any better.
                        Low handicap players may be prone to taking more time on the greens, choosing a club in windy conditions etc... but rarely does a low handicap player have the above (watching others instead of going directly to the ball) slow play habits.
                        Driver: Ping G400 LST Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6S
                        Fairway metals: Cleveland Launcher HB 15* Miyazaki C.Kua 5S
                        Hybrid: Cleveland Launcher HB 19* Miyazaki C.Kua 6S
                        Irons: Ping G700 4-SW Project X LZ 5.5
                        Wedge: Ping G400 58* LW Project X LZ 5.5
                        Putter: Byron Morgan DH89 w/ putter grip

Comment

Originally posted by DG_1234 View Post

This is common among high handicap players, and a large part of what makes for slow play.
                          Also, cart riders commit the same fault, having one player sit in a cart watching while his cart partner plays a shot.. Rather than watch, the cart rider should get out and walk to his ball (or if his ball is far away he may let his partner out of the cart and then drive himself to his own ball).
                          My observation is that high handicap players are more prone to the above slow play habits, mostly because they do not know any better.
                          Low handicap players may be prone to taking more time on the greens, choosing a club in windy conditions etc... but rarely does a low handicap player have the above (watching others instead of going directly to the ball) slow play habits.
                          the over all size of the group of high HC players will by default of sheer numbers consist of more players unfamiliar with or not practicing ready golf, and especially among the large amount of newbies also in that group. But if we broke down the numbers to each group in a small hc range (say every 5) the percentage imo would likely be about the same. In fact as people get lower , a percentage of them who may have practiced good ready golf habits prior tend to become slower. So there may even be a higher percentage at the lower ranges of cap. less people over all but a higher percentage within the gorup. There becomes a sense of time entitlement as some people become better at the game. That time on the greens you refer to as only a ("may be prone to taking") is not at all somehow as dismissable nor minimal as you imply vs any other form of ready golf habits from anyone else anywhere. It is a humongous enormous problematic slow play habit disrupting ready golf and causing slow play. And in fact may be argued sits atop the list. The antics practiced around and on greens (much of which coming from the lower caps groups) can often be ridiculously detrimental towards ready golf and its purpose of helping the time it takes to play a round. .
                          Last edited by rollin; 08-15-2019, 08:50 AM.
                          I golf because I can But I stink because I can't

Comment

I agree with most of the ideas already described. However, one devil's advocate to all the comments of not "watching" other people hit. In our round yesterday a couple of the guys were having a hard time following their ball when they hit. Without all of us watching the ball we'd spend MORE time looking for their ball after each hit than if we didn't pay attention. Sometimes ready golf isn't only about playing fast...
                            Driver: G400 SF Tec
                            Fairway: G400 3W
                            Irons: Launcher HB 4-DW
                            Wedges: Tour-S 56*/60*
                            Putter: O-Works Versa Tank #7
                            Ball: Chrome Soft / K-Sig Performance + / Gamer Tour

Comment

Originally posted by MagicSpell View Post
                              I agree with most of the ideas already described. However, one devil's advocate to all the comments of not "watching" other people hit. In our round yesterday a couple of the guys were having a hard time following their ball when they hit. Without all of us watching the ball we'd spend MORE time looking for their ball after each hit than if we didn't pay attention. Sometimes ready golf isn't only about playing fast...
                              You can watch someoneís ball without standing by their ball. Iíd say you definitely want to watch the other players hit just for safety reasons.
                              In My 2018 #TheGrandaddy
                              Alpha Convoy cart bag:
                              Driver: Epic Flash
                              FW: Epic Flash 3w
                              Hybrids: Big Bertha 3/4/5 Recoil ZT9 F4
                              Irons: Big Bertha 5-AW Recoil ZT9 F4
                              Wedges: 2019 PM Grind 54į Recoil 95 F3
                              Putter: Stroke Lab 2 Ball Fang OR Stroke Lab EXO 2 Ball
                              Ball: ERC Soft

Comment

I make a point of watching where my competitors ball ends up. It saves a lot of time. I can usually just point out their ball if they lose it. Most balls are lost as a result of errant tee shots.
                                Julie

Driver: GBB Epic 11.5 Fubuki R 44.5
                                Hybrid: Bio Cell 20.5
                                Irons: F9 One Length 5-SW
                                Wedges: Smart Sole S and C
                                Putter: 40" Tank Versa 2-ball

Comment

Above Footer Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X