Ready Golf: What does it mean to you?

My question is .... is there a difference between ready golf & speed golf?

Seems as though a lot of the comments are speaking about hitting the ball as soon as possible.

golfinnut;n8876910 said:

Seems as though a lot of the comments are speaking about hitting the ball as soon as possible.

Being ready to hit when it’s your turn, or when it makes sense, vs trying to finish as quickly as possible. I don’t run to my ball, and I don’t hit as soon as I get there, but I do make sure I’m not dilly dallying.

golfinnut;n8876910 said:

One is exercise the other is the way a casual round should be played. I can walk 18 in like 2 hours or slightly less with no waits but I don't consider that anywhere close to speed golf. My course is old school and very easy to walk.

Be safe. Be respectful for your partners. Go as fast as possible. Don’t sit around watching partners

Everyone goes to their ball and when the person behind you hits, hit your ball. I cannot stand groups when each person go as a group to everyone's ball and watches the others hit.

seastrunk;n8877087 said:
. I cannot stand groups when each person go as a group to everyone's ball and watches the others hit.

This is common among high handicap players, and a large part of what makes for slow play.
Also, cart riders commit the same fault, having one player sit in a cart watching while his cart partner plays a shot.. Rather than watch, the cart rider should get out and walk to his ball (or if his ball is far away he may let his partner out of the cart and then drive himself to his own ball).
My observation is that high handicap players are more prone to the above slow play habits, mostly because they do not know any better.
Low handicap players may be prone to taking more time on the greens, choosing a club in windy conditions etc... but rarely does a low handicap player have the above (watching others instead of going directly to the ball) slow play habits.

DG_1234;n8877146 said:
This is common among high handicap players, and a large part of what makes for slow play.
Also, cart riders commit the same fault, having one player sit in a cart watching while his cart partner plays a shot.. Rather than watch, the cart rider should get out and walk to his ball (or if his ball is far away he may let his partner out of the cart and then drive himself to his own ball).
My observation is that high handicap players are more prone to the above slow play habits, mostly because they do not know any better.
Low handicap players may be prone to taking more time on the greens, choosing a club in windy conditions etc... but rarely does a low handicap player have the above (watching others instead of going directly to the ball) slow play habits.

the over all size of the group of high HC players will by default of sheer numbers consist of more players unfamiliar with or not practicing ready golf, and especially among the large amount of newbies also in that group. But if we broke down the numbers to each group in a small hc range (say every 5) the percentage imo would likely be about the same. In fact as people get lower , a percentage of them who may have practiced good ready golf habits prior tend to become slower. So there may even be a higher percentage at the lower ranges of cap. less people over all but a higher percentage within the gorup. There becomes a sense of time entitlement as some people become better at the game. That time on the greens you refer to as only a ("may be prone to taking") is not at all somehow as dismissable nor minimal as you imply vs any other form of ready golf habits from anyone else anywhere. It is a humongous enormous problematic slow play habit disrupting ready golf and causing slow play. And in fact may be argued sits atop the list. The antics practiced around and on greens (much of which coming from the lower caps groups) can often be ridiculously detrimental towards ready golf and its purpose of helping the time it takes to play a round. .

Last edited:
I agree with most of the ideas already described. However, one devil's advocate to all the comments of not "watching" other people hit. In our round yesterday a couple of the guys were having a hard time following their ball when they hit. Without all of us watching the ball we'd spend MORE time looking for their ball after each hit than if we didn't pay attention. Sometimes ready golf isn't only about playing fast...

MagicSpell;n8877561 said:
I agree with most of the ideas already described. However, one devil's advocate to all the comments of not "watching" other people hit. In our round yesterday a couple of the guys were having a hard time following their ball when they hit. Without all of us watching the ball we'd spend MORE time looking for their ball after each hit than if we didn't pay attention. Sometimes ready golf isn't only about playing fast...

You can watch someone’s ball without standing by their ball. I’d say you definitely want to watch the other players hit just for safety reasons.

I make a point of watching where my competitors ball ends up. It saves a lot of time. I can usually just point out their ball if they lose it. Most balls are lost as a result of errant tee shots.

MagicSpell;n8877561 said:

yes watching for where balls go and helping along the way is imo crucial to part of playing efficient ready golf. Im always up for this and also I need help for myself as well. Some of us are very good at tracking and finding balls but many are not good at it (I am not good at my own ball tracking) but am ok at helping others. But the whole "working together on it" concept is a very big positive towards time.

Folks who go a wandering , looking for a ball, without a club in their hand. I've been in groups that end up 15 minutes behind after three holes. Bring a club when you go awandering.

InTheRough;n8877783 said:
I make a point of watching where my competitors ball ends up. It saves a lot of time. I can usually just point out their ball if they lose it. Most balls are lost as a result of errant tee shots.

You make an excellent point and this is absolutely very helpful to pace of play.

What does ready golf mean to me? Basically the opposite of everything the foursome in front of me did today. Followed them around and watched every non ready golf thing happen. 4 guys to each ball? Yep. Multiple practice swings? Yep. Waiting for the green to clear from 300 out? Yep. Marking every putt, taking away turns, and grinding over 3 footers? Yep.

It got entertaining after a while.

millsan1;n8878151 said:
What does ready golf mean to me? Basically the opposite of everything the foursome in front of me did today. Followed them around and watched every non ready golf thing happen. 4 guys to each ball? Yep. Multiple practice swings? Yep. Waiting for the green to clear from 300 out? Yep. Marking every putt, taking away turns, and grinding over 3 footers? Yep.

It got entertaining after a while.

That doesn't sound the least bit entertaining

Back