what is your par 3 course situation ?

DG_1234

Reaction score
Handicap
Are there par 3 courses nearby and available for you to play ?
I started playing golf at a par 3 course and still do sometimes play there. It's Golden Gate Park Golf Course, nine holes ranging from 100 to about 190 yards, a place within the confines of a large city park. This course gets lots of year round play from kids, beginners, senior men and women, low handicaps trying to sharpen their iron and wedge games, anybody wanting a relaxing 1 hour to 1.5 hour round etc..
For several reasons I think par 3 courses are one of the best type facilities the game has to offer. There should be more of them, but I guess the economics of owning/operating one does not inspire the necessary financial investment...
If you play a par 3 course please post about it here to this thread, including what you like (or don't like) about the experience.

I know of two within driving distance of where I live.

One is about 40 minutes up the Interstate in one of the far suburbs. It's nice enough for what it is but it has 9 holes of anywhere from 95 to 180 yards plus a full-sized driving range squeezed into less than 20 acres of property. Just tight, tight, tight. Miss a shot by 30 yards and you'll either bean someone on an adjacent hole or lose a ball in the trees (surrounding the course) or pond (smack dab in the middle of the property). Just claustrophobic, which is pity because it has a good variety of holes, a little contouring to some of the greens and a bit of rolling change of elevation.

The other is on a flood plain closer in to town. Never played there but holes are probably between 75-125 yards and the greens are just 10-yard diameter pushed-up circles to get them above the flood level. The "turf" in between the tees and greens is more mud than grass. Nothing remotely appealing about it to me.

That's it. Haven't played a Par 3 course in 20 years and don't expect to in the next 20. Can't really see the appeal.

Yeah, we have a great one nearby, each hole is based on a classic with a story board at the tee, finishing with the TPC Sawgrass #17 island water hole, lots of fun, and it has stadium lights for night golf, they're open till at least midnight!

Last edited:
MrDC;n8875658 said:
Yeah, we have a great one nearby, each hole is based on a classic with a story board at the tee, finishing with the TPC Sawgrass #17 island water hole, lots of fun, and it has stadium lights for night golf, they're open till at least midnight!

For the first year I played I only went there, lots of rounds at that par 3, still go on occasion.

More courses like you've described would be a very good thing.
I'll add that the First Tee does subsidize some par 3 golf courses, which is great because it means previously neglected courses are now well maintained. The First Tee was founded about 20 years ago by the LPGA Tour, PGA of America, PGA Tour, the Masters, and USGA.

I want to play Mountain Shadows in Paradise Valley sometime. Just to see what a high zoot par-3 course would be like.

In Tempe there is a short Muni-course that while not a par three, its only a par 62, 3800 yrd track. I think it offers all the benefits you describe but it plays a little longer than 1.5hs. It forced my playing partner to use irons that he normally wouldn't because it put him in situations off the tee that he's not used to playing traditional long courses. Which is an added benefit IMO.

I have one in walking distance ... it's 9 holes, and very easy even for par 3 standards (no water, no sand, mostly short holes). But it's great for practicing irons and wedges, I can take the kids there without worrying about errant drives, and as long as I have an hour of daylight, I can get out and play a round.

Not a full Par 3 course but a somewhat local one has 12 Par 3 holes and it is a great layout and well worth the price.

10-15 years ago there was a par 3 in my area (St Charles, Mo.) that was supposed to replicate famous holes from top courses, it closed before I took up the game, the site is now a warehouse.
Our local executive is a par 57 with three par 4 holes. A third of the holes are short and relatively boring, another third are also short but have contoured greens that require well placed shots. The last third are pretty interesting, long carry over water, island green, a dog leg and one green with three levels, if your shot doesn’t land on the same level as the pin; par is going to be very difficult.

The course suffers from poor maintenance, the greens are painfully slow and pock marked. Some of the tee boxes are a wreck, large patches of hard pan and bunkers that are almost never playable. I imagine real golfers would view such a goat pasture with disdain.

On the plus side the course is 5 minutes from the house, super laid back and is lighted for evening play. My brother and I both have chronic pain and mobility issues, playing 18 at <3000 yds is much easier on us if we’re having a bad day. It’s also great for new players, short hitters and 2 hour rounds. The location and lights more that doubles the amount of golf we play in a year. Despite its many flaws I love it.

Last edited:
There are a couple, but I never go. The few times I've been they were in lousy shape. I would love for a nice one near by.

Nonexistant.

We had an absolute dog track in our town back in the day. But, I loved it. It was $5 to play all day. Had two short par 4's and tiny greens. Me and my buddies would head out there and play for hours. The city sold the land and closed it down though.

Non-existent

Around here they are pretty much all gone. Used to be a couple of good ones, but the only one I know of that has survived is a 9-hole with nothing over about 130 yds. The good par-3 and executive courses are gone, the few executive courses that are left are pretty bad.

2 executives 1 basically a par 3+ and a par 3 maybe 20 or 30 minute away on the inside of a full sized course.

Within 30-40 minutes drive I have 5 courses to choose from. One which is 5 blocks away where I spend October to March practicing at

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jaysfan;n8875920 said:
Within 30-40 minutes drive I have 5 courses to choose from. One which is 5 blocks away where I spend October to March practicing at

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Five par 3 courses ?

There are 2 by me that I know of. The closest one is 9-holes, 2 of which are par 4’s. Not is great shape though and it also has footgolf and frisbee golf going on. The first time I played there I actually aimed for a couple of the footgolf pins instead of the real pins by accident. It is open late for night golf which has been pretty fun especially for $8-10 a round. Terranea up by LA is another 9-hole par 3 course that is right by the ocean. It’s a little more pricey at $30-40 a round but Groupon always has specials for it and the views are great. The course is always in good shape too.

There's one about 10-15 minutes from my house, but I've never been there. Also a couple others a bit further out that offer night golf. I've never tried them either, although I keep meaning to.

We have 3 Executive courses in my 55+. 3310, 3800, and 4018 yards. 2 par 60 and one par 62. The shorter 2 are next to regulation courses and share a pro shop/snack bar. One is stand alone. All in nice shape. Leagues, scrambles, and tournaments. I like to play them. They get decent play and you still need a tee time using the same site as our 5 regulation courses.

One of the best courses around here condition wise is a par 3 and driving range. The owner is also one of the most recommended instructors in the area. 12 covered stations, 12 grass stations, bunker/ chipping green and, putting green. All in great condition.

Turtlerancher;n8876000 said:
One of the best courses around here condition wise is a par 3 and driving range. The owner is also one of the most recommended instructors in the area. 12 covered stations, 12 grass stations, bunker/ chipping green and, putting green. All in great condition.

Yes, the place you described is exactly the type of facility which does indeed help "grow the game".

One of my older brothers is part owner of a great par 3 on the north fork of Long Island. It’s called Cedars and my brother and his business partner keep it in great shape, caters to kids/families, and have perhaps the largest women’s golf membership in the country - They call themselves the Cedarettes. They put in a simulator, started a kids camp, and have kept the price down to $15 for a round. Check it out if ever in the neighborhood! https://suffolktimes.timesreview.com...tinue-to-grow/

One executive but it's more expensive than the other full length options around here. I'll play it if they have a GolfNow deal but otherwise I won't bother.

BriMac;n8876076 said:
One of my older brothers is part owner of a great par 3 on the north fork of Long Island. It’s called Cedars and my brother and his business partner keep it in great shape, caters to kids/families, and have perhaps the largest women’s golf membership in the country - They call themselves the Cedarettes. They put in a simulator, started a kids camp, and have kept the price down to $15 for a round. Check it out if ever in the neighborhood! https://suffolktimes.timesreview.com...tinue-to-grow/

Yes, your brother and his business partner are doing a good thing for the game, right on .......right on.:bashful:

Back