Trying to Break 100

I'm still new to this place, but when you could see the handicaps of users, I took note that a lot of mid/low/scratch cappers were frequenting these parts. So definitely not a "black sheep" of the forum. Clearly this is where the cool kids want to hang out.

Got up at the crack of dawn to enjoy a bit of relative coolness on the range this morning. the 88F with 12% humidity felt brisk at 7am. too bad by 8:05a it was starting to cook in the upper 90s on it's way to 114F.

dazeedmonds;n8876578 said:
I love my 54° PM grind. Like a lot. I recommend spending some time practicing all the shots you think you might use it for. It can be a touch unforgiving if you let it dig.

This is so true. If I don't commit it digs and i chunk the shot. magicspell they are awesome wedges and i think you will like it i have the 56 and a 60. That 60 gets tons of use but i also practice with it ALOT!

I did my bi-monthly scrubbing of heads, grips, washing my glove, and cleaning my shoes. Last week I put 8 balls in my golf bag, I now have 47, which is why I haven't purchased any golf balls in years...my home course provides all I need.

Hamfist;n8876593 said:
Fixed that for you. And not for just THIS wedge. All wedge shots should be practiced a lot. It's the best way for us Hi-caps.

Edit: regarding the PM specifically, how far away from the green do you use it? Also, it looks kinda Ping-ish. Would it be a marked upgrade over my G20 54 degree?

I use mine for everything up to about 110 yards. I think it’s a great upgrade, and I’m not a huge ping fan, so with a very large grain of salt and advice to consider the source...yes it’s an upgrade. That’s just my opinion of course. But the number of times I’ve had a mediocre shot saved by the hi toe and the grooves out on said high toe have made me a believer.

I like the new digs. Bet I've missed a lot of shenanigans in here. Not much time for hobbies recently I'm afraid. Managed to get out for a range session Monday evening but swing was utter trash. Maybe work will get to a point where I have a chance to get back into things in a few weeks.

Going for my second lesson tonight. Hopefully he can get me back on track after my horrible range session.

mtbloco;n8876902 said:
I'm still new to this place, but when you could see the handicaps of users, I took note that a lot of mid/low/scratch cappers were frequenting these parts. So definitely not a "black sheep" of the forum. Clearly this is where the cool kids want to hang out.

Got up at the crack of dawn to enjoy a bit of relative coolness on the range this morning. the 88F with 12% humidity felt brisk at 7am. too bad by 8:05a it was starting to cook in the upper 90s on it's way to 114F.

Dear God! Where do you live, Mercury?

dazeedmonds;n8877015 said:
I use mine for everything up to about 110 yards. I think it’s a great upgrade, and I’m not a huge ping fan, so with a very large grain of salt and advice to consider the source...yes it’s an upgrade. That’s just my opinion of course. But the number of times I’ve had a mediocre shot saved by the hi toe and the grooves out on said high toe have made me a believer.

Ponder engaged.

I concur with all the above sentiments. The B100 thread is chock full of unicorns with rainbow halos. And booze.

OGputtnfool;n8876901 said:
I'd love to get out an play a round or two with you guys in this thread. Maybe one day I will.
Me too, maybe when I retire. The west coast is way to hot and dry right now, but would love a chance to play other areas. Just need to convince the wife who loves to golf also, but doesn't share my penance to spend money.

OGputtnfool;n8876901 said:
No need to feel like black sheep. Most people are content playing with just about anyone. Score matters not. The first time I broke 90, I was playing with a guy that shot 130+. I didn't care how he was scoring, just that he played at a decent pace. He hacked his way around the course, but he didn't lollygag about it.

I'd love to get out an play a round or two with you guys in this thread. Maybe one day I will.

I’ve played with several members of this forum in the past couple months and I can honestly say not one cared how I played. They were all encouraging and supportive when I struggled but never once made me feel like I shouldn’t be on the course with them. All they cared about was making sure the round was enjoyable. Gonna tee it up with a few more of them next week and I can’t wait.

KYgolfer told me on the first tee when I mentioned playing poorly something along the lines of “buddy, you can write down a 60 and smack the ball around for the next few hours for all I care. I’m here to have fun”

Hamfist;n8877078 said:
Ponder engaged.

Good! I like them a lot. Obviously. Also the CBX or CBX2 wedges might be a good choice. Very different, but both good in their own rights.

So, a pretty good lesson tonight. We didn't spend a lot of time hitting balls. More time spent on posture and keeping hands forward on impact. He had me do some swing drills hitting an impact bag. I really like my instructor. The other guy I had a few years ago did none of this kind of stuff.

When I was on the range, I was really hitting some good shots for the most part.

I'm having a cyst removed from my finger tomorrow and then traveling for work the next two weeks after that, so it will be about 3 weeks before I'll be able to get any swings in.

Practice round start in two hours. I have slept for 4h, body aching from mon-tue 2h range practice and HIIT strength training yesterday. Good times :D

ULEWZ;n8876797 said:
I love the "trying to break 100" thread, but sometimes I feel like we are the black sheep of the forum. Thoughts?

I wouldn't say that at all, everyone here is happy to help regardless of handicap or skill level

Sean;n8877008 said:
I did my bi-monthly scrubbing of heads, grips, washing my glove, and cleaning my shoes. Last week I put 8 balls in my golf bag, I now have 47, which is why I haven't purchased any golf balls in years...my home course provides all I need.

Do you actually play golf when you go to the course or just search for balls???? :D

Good morning/afternoon everyone!!!!

Hamfist;n8877076 said:

Better than Uranus... #justsaying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hamfist;n8877076 said:

I've heard some people living here in Arizona refer to it as the seventh level of hell...

Hamfist;n8877076 said:

When they issue a heat advisory in Phoenix, they are not messing around. Next 7 day forecast: 113, 110, 109,109,110, 114, 115, 111F. Then there is a reprieve in with a string of only 106. the crappy part is this is typical June weather, and we should be getting afternoon thunderstorms, but not this year. Just *fire*

MagicSpell;n8877512 said:
I've heard some people living here in Arizona refer to it as the seventh level of hell...

It sure feels like that driving down the 51 in the morning.

mtbloco;n8877546 said:
When they issue a heat advisory in Phoenix, they are not messing around. Next 7 day forecast: 113, 110, 109,109,110, 114, 115, 111F. Then there is a reprieve in with a string of only 106. the crappy part is this is typical June weather, and we should be getting afternoon thunderstorms, but not this year. Just *fire*

I would never see the light of day.

mtbloco;n8877549 said:
It sure feels like that driving down the 51 in the morning.

109 here Today is Tucson so i know you Phx guys are boiling. Stay hydrated boys and inside

Had a decent round today. Shot 48/57: 105. Front was decent bogey golf, back was not so decent. It was quite hilly course and we made a mistake of having a break at the turn. My muscles started getting stiff and I was getting tired at the back nine.

Highlight of the round was Ping G410 3h was I lended from my playing partner. From tee it was a fairway finder and I hit similar distances that with my driver (~190-200yd). Outdrove my 5w with it. So, at this point I can hit 3h better than my longer clubs. Interesting thing was that it was stiff flex, as were his irons and both felt more stable for me. I have always thought that with my swing speed stiff flex would just make things worse, but but.. #strongasox

There would be G410 2h available, but not sure if that would be any easier than my current 5w. But on the other hand that could be my ultimate tee club..

Doubleb21;n8877603 said:
109 here Today is Tucson so i know you Phx guys are boiling. Stay hydrated boys and inside

But it’s a dry heat, right... Tucson is on our list of retirement areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back