Trying to Break 100

Golf Dawg;n8877679 said:
But it’s a dry heat, right... Tucson is on our list of retirement areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was like that when I was station in 29 Palms CA, be 115 at 11AM but no humidity at all.

Golf Dawg;n8877679 said:

So is my oven. Don't want to be there, either.

jlaakso;n8877606 said:
Had a decent round today. Shot 48/57: 105. Front was decent bogey golf, back was not so decent. It was quite hilly course and we made a mistake of having a break at the turn. My muscles started getting stiff and I was getting tired at the back nine.

Highlight of the round was Ping G410 3h was I lended from my playing partner. From tee it was a fairway finder and I hit similar distances that with my driver (~190-200yd). Outdrove my 5w with it. So, at this point I can hit 3h better than my longer clubs. Interesting thing was that it was stiff flex, as were his irons and both felt more stable for me. I have always thought that with my swing speed stiff flex would just make things worse, but but.. #strongasox

There would be G410 2h available, but not sure if that would be any easier than my current 5w. But on the other hand that could be my ultimate tee club..

You might need a stiff shaft. Swing speed is a factor and all, but your swing might put a lot of loading on the shaft. After all, you ARE strong like bull.

Golf Dawg;n8877679 said:

It is and it is tolerable! If you make your way out here we can out some rounds together for sure!

Doubleb21;n8877603 said:
109 here Today is Tucson so i know you Phx guys are boiling. Stay hydrated boys and inside

I played around last weekend with it was 105F. It was better than I thought, but definitely the hottest I'll attempt to playgolf in.

mtbloco;n8877817 said:
I played around last weekend with it was 105F. It was better than I thought, but definitely the hottest I'll attempt to playgolf in.

Ill go out in that temp much more than that and it is just uncomfortable. Non stop water with Nunn tabs does the trick.

Doubleb21;n8877784 said:
It is and it is tolerable! If you make your way out here we can out some rounds together for sure!

That will definitely happen if we head west!

Doubleb21;n8877866 said:
Ill go out in that temp much more than that and it is just uncomfortable. Non stop water with Nunn tabs does the trick.

I just can't wait for our 7 months of "spring" to start. That first day that it's *only* 95F for a high is glorious. Although I'm a bit scared of the price of golf once that happens.

Best advice I ever got before I broke 100 was to spend most of my time practicing chipping and putting and for all other shots swing slow the point of TRYING to hit your clubs shorter than you can.. like 150 with a driver and 100 with a 7 iron. Its amazing how little distance you actually lose from swinging slow and the accuracy is way up.
Mentally it's difficult to maintain a slow tempo and be a shorter hitter, but accuracy is king and as you get more consistent strikes you can slowly start adding speed.

jlaakso;n8877606 said:
Had a decent round today. Shot 48/57: 105. Front was decent bogey golf, back was not so decent. It was quite hilly course and we made a mistake of having a break at the turn. My muscles started getting stiff and I was getting tired at the back nine.

Highlight of the round was Ping G410 3h was I lended from my playing partner. From tee it was a fairway finder and I hit similar distances that with my driver (~190-200yd). Outdrove my 5w with it. So, at this point I can hit 3h better than my longer clubs. Interesting thing was that it was stiff flex, as were his irons and both felt more stable for me. I have always thought that with my swing speed stiff flex would just make things worse, but but.. #strongasox

There would be G410 2h available, but not sure if that would be any easier than my current 5w. But on the other hand that could be my ultimate tee club..

A good night's sleep, good breakfast and a new plan. I will effin learn to swing my 5W and stop pondering/wonderig about new sticks!!

Training plan:
  1. Morning warm-up/workout
    1. 3x 100 swings, Shawn Clement style effortless back-and-fort swings
    2. Swing through, concentrate on finish, fluid takeaway. Rinse and repeat
    3. Frequency: daily. If spare time, more sets scheduled throughout the day
    4. Target: hone the kinetic sequence
  2. Range workout
    1. 60 balls bucket, short rubber tee
    2. 3 practice swings just touching tip of the tee, 1 swing with a ball (240 swings total)
    3. Frequency: 2-3 times a week
    4. Target: remove 'Fear of the Ball', also called 'hitting at the ball'
  3. On course plan
    1. Hit par4 and par5 tee shots with 5W, hit all applicable approach shots with 5W
    2. Frequency: weekly (I hope, depending on external factors such as life)
    3. Target: Get confident with 5W on course, even if it kills me or my score
This is something I did with my hybrids during summer, so why not move up a club.

Leaving work soon for the weekend and a couple days off so not back in the office until Wednesday

Originally was only playing golf on Monday, but am now playing in the Memorial Trophy at my home club on Sunday, then Slaley Hall on Monday and back to my home club on Tuesday

Hopefully 2 weeks of not even picking a club up won't hurt me too bad when I stand on the 1st tee on Sunday morning.....

TheDoctor;n8878381 said:
Leaving work soon for the weekend and a couple days off so not back in the office until Wednesday

Originally was only playing golf on Monday, but am now playing in the Memorial Trophy at my home club on Sunday, then Slaley Hall on Monday and back to my home club on Tuesday

Hopefully 2 weeks of not even picking a club up won't hurt me too bad when I stand on the 1st tee on Sunday morning.....

Sounds like a good time Doc!!!! Play well

jlaakso;n8878178 said:
A good night's sleep, good breakfast and a new plan. I will effin learn to swing my 5W and stop pondering/wonderig about new sticks!!

Training plan:
  1. Morning: Bloody Marys.
[*]Range workout
  1. More Bloody Marys
[*]On course plan

1. A full-bodied Malbec.

Now, that is a plan I can get behind.

TheDoctor;n8878381 said:

Loosen up with a nice cup of coffee loaded with Bailey's Irish Cream and Frangelico. Trust me on this.

Not sure that I can play this weekend. Think I strained or pulled a muscle on my left chest/rib area. Was tender after playing this past weekend and a bit difficult to sleep on my side a few days this week. Better today, maybe I’ll be fully healed tomorrow to be able to play Sunday.

First 18 holes back I shot a 102. My driver was bad on the front nine, but my chipping and putting was great scoring a 49. On the back nine, my driver was back to normal, but my chipping was out to lunch. Scored a 53. Putting still better with the reverse grip, claw, so that is a keeper. Back is not bad, but aches on the right side now, but not enough to slow me down.

Last edited:
vdubtx;n8878738 said:
Not sure that I can play this weekend. Think I strained or pulled a muscle on my left chest/rib area. Was tender after playing this past weekend and a bit difficult to sleep on my side a few days this week. Better today, maybe I’ll be fully healed tomorrow to be able to play Sunday.

Get well soon!

ULEWZ;n8878753 said:
First 18 holes back I shot a 102. My driver was bad on the front nine, but my chipping and putting was great scoring a 49. On the back nine, my driver was back to normal, but my chipping was out to lunch. Scored a 52. Putting still better with the reverse grip, claw, so that is a keeper. Back is not bad, but aches on the right side now, but not enough to slow me down.

Nice round, considering your stiff back. Rest it and go again!

Golf Dawg;n8878813 said:
Nice round, considering your stiff back. Rest it and go again!

Thanks, want to get out again tomorrow, time to ice and add heat.

I’m playing golf! At St. Andrews no less.

Well, as close as I will for the next few months...

70b3d2ca6c21b98a5de2abc4a9b4ff34.jpg

+2 through five...

7b0dbd1d87ccc9bbe00b2e7a00e21587.jpg

Think I might be able to get out for a few holes tomorrow morning. Assuming I make it home tonight with minimal hassle and the wife and kid are ok with it since I’ve been out of town for a week.

TheDoctor;n8877271 said:
I wouldn't say that at all, everyone here is happy to help regardless of handicap or skill level

Do you actually play golf when you go to the course or just search for balls???? :D

Haha (sometimes I wonder). When the course is quiet, I take some time looking for balls. :)

Hope everyone got out for some golf today. Managed to play 18 and get some match play practice in. Another round scheduled tomorrow.

I played 18 today. The driver was all right, the irons were not good, the hybrids were hit and miss, the wedges were solid, the putter was all right. I’m taking the Cobras out of the bag for tomorrow’s round and taking the Pings. I’m just not feeling the cobras lately.

Hamfist;n8879576 said:
I played 18 today. The driver was all right, the irons were not good, the hybrids were hit and miss, the wedges were solid, the putter was all right. I’m taking the Cobras out of the bag for tomorrow’s round and taking the Pings. I’m just not feeling the cobras lately.

Definitely worth a shot! Whatever works. Go for it!

Back