Trying to Break 100

Hamfist;n8879576 said:
I played 18 today. The driver was all right, the irons were not good, the hybrids were hit and miss, the wedges were solid, the putter was all right. I’m taking the Cobras out of the bag for tomorrow’s round and taking the Pings. I’m just not feeling the cobras lately.
Other than the cobras comment, that could have been me talking. More fun today I hope.

Golf Dawg;n8879159 said:
I’m playing golf! At St. Andrews no less.

Well, as close as I will for the next few months...

70b3d2ca6c21b98a5de2abc4a9b4ff34.jpg

+2 through five...

7b0dbd1d87ccc9bbe00b2e7a00e21587.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damn Golf Dawg has a physique! Mover over roly polies :)

Dave

New clubs incoming! Cobra King Oversize 3-4, 4-5 hybrids and 6-GW irons.

Why? I'm hoping the modern hollow design takes upon the Ping G15 idea and in the 10 years since release makes it better with more distance and playability.

Dave

dthrog00;n8879811 said:
Damn Golf Dawg has a physique! Mover over roly polies :)

Dave

Ain’t technology wonderful!

In the real world, I’m closing in on 60 lbs off since 1/1//19, 11 off since I started this infection odyssey...

Golf Dawg;n8879825 said:
Ain’t technology wonderful!

In the real world, I’m closing in on 60 lbs off since 1/1//19, 11 off since I started this infection odyssey...

Great job on the 60 lbs, 11 since infection is not good though. Best wishes for you.

Dave

After trying and failing to walk on at 3 different courses this morning I gave up and just hit balls at the range. Good thing too, I am just not hitting the ball well right now. No idea what the problem is.

dthrog00;n8879842 said:
Great job on the 60 lbs, 11 since infection is not good though. Best wishes for you.

Dave

Thanks. Things are a little better every day. Hoping to play another round before the snow flies.

Tough day on the course today, ridiculously windy to the point I hit a 5i on our par 3 7th hole which is a downhill 150yd and I finished just off the back right edge of the green

Few holes later I hit a wind-assisted 3w around 270yds

Finished with 33 points but if my putting had been better it could have been nearer 36-37 and I had a few bad breaks with the wind at times so not too disappointed overall

When I left, the leading score was 39 points

Another round tomorrow at Slaley Hall on the Priestman course and I hope the wind dies down a bit

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Played with a a couple THPers today, good round at a fun track and threw up and even 80.

Did we have under 100 putts today Hamfist?

ntanygd760;n8880009 said:

Weeeeeelllllll.......

So...played with Grins, my brother, and a buddy today. We had some GroupGolfer coupons for Sleepy Hollow, a really nice Metroparks course.

Or, so we thought.....

Turns out our coupons are for Sleepy Hollow Country Club. Which none of us had any clue even existed. So, we bite the bullet and pay the Sunday rate. Not cheap, but, screw it, that’s why I have a job.

On to the golf. Many shots were hit today, by our intrepid group. Some were magnificent, some were.......less magnificent.

Comment of the day goes to Grins, when, after I was running my mouth to my friend about listening to my advice, looked at me and asked “”Would you listen to your advice?”” Well played, Jeff, well played.

I know ntanygd760 and I have spoken about the greens at this course, and how they are stupidly hard. The ninth hole, saw not one, not two, but about ten putts roll up to the cup, stop, and roll back 4-5 feet. I was lucky enough to put my pitch shot close to the pin, and using my super-strength, putted it through the break. The other poor fellows in my group suffered a much different fate. After about the fifth putt rolled back, I just started laughing. It was ludicrous.

So, on we went. Grins, under my expert tutelage, hit a super-sweet touch shot with his lob on 11(?) to roll to about three feet. He refused my request for payment for said tutelage. I named myself Butch Hamfist. Then, I thought Butch Harmfist sounded cooler, but didn’t say it out loud.

So, even after the coupon gaffe, and the hard-to-the-point-of-stupid greens, I had a great time.

Played my Ping G20 irons today, and they felt great. I hit some really nice shots with them, and they were consistently higher trajectories than the F8s, and a lot more in the direction I was trying to go. A bit shorter, but, I’ll swap that for accuracy every day.

ntanygd760;n8880009 said:

It felt like 100 putts today. But I really like that course! We hit some good shots & I struggled in the sand. Shot a 99 & felt much better about that number than I would at my local courses.

Played 9 yesterday for 49. Played 18 today for 52/48 for an even 100. Chipping and putting were solid. Driving decent. Irons not so great.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

New executive course record for me today. Beat my previous low of 39 by one. Everything was clicking today except my driver. Only hit one good driver shot, the others, CRAP shots. Luckily my 2nd shots and chips were spot on. I hit par 3 times and no more than 2 putts for each hole. Two 1 putts. Very happy today.
Plus I am going to be a grand dad from my middle son, happy times.

Hamfist;n8880069 said:
Weeeeeelllllll.......

So...played with Grins, my brother, and a buddy today. We had some GroupGolfer coupons for Sleepy Hollow, a really nice Metroparks course.

Or, so we thought.....

Turns out our coupons are for Sleepy Hollow Country Club. Which none of us had any clue even existed. So, we bite the bullet and pay the Sunday rate. Not cheap, but, screw it, that’s why I have a job.

On to the golf. Many shots were hit today, by our intrepid group. Some were magnificent, some were.......less magnificent.

Comment of the day goes to Grins, when, after I was running my mouth to my friend about listening to my advice, looked at me and asked “”Would you listen to your advice?”” Well played, Jeff, well played.

I know ntanygd760 and I have spoken about the greens at this course, and how they are stupidly hard. The ninth hole, saw not one, not two, but about ten putts roll up to the cup, stop, and roll back 4-5 feet. I was lucky enough to put my pitch shot close to the pin, and using my super-strength, putted it through the break. The other poor fellows in my group suffered a much different fate. After about the fifth putt rolled back, I just started laughing. It was ludicrous.

So, on we went. Grins, under my expert tutelage, hit a super-sweet touch shot with his lob on 11(?) to roll to about three feet. He refused my request for payment for said tutelage. I named myself Butch Hamfist. Then, I thought Butch Harmfist sounded cooler, but didn’t say it out loud.

So, even after the coupon gaffe, and the hard-to-the-point-of-stupid greens, I had a great time.

Played my Ping G20 irons today, and they felt great. I hit some really nice shots with them, and they were consistently higher trajectories than the F8s, and a lot more in the direction I was trying to go. A bit shorter, but, I’ll swap that for accuracy every day.

loooooooooooooool I actually almost asked if you were sure it was Sleepy Hollow metroparks or the one in Alliance, I got a $10 hot deal like 5 years ago to what I thought was the metroparks course, turns out not so much.

9 was the hole I witnessed a 5 or 6 putt from 20 inches and an 8 or 9 putt.

I assume they cut the pins on high spots and slopes just in case it rained tons.

Last edited:
ntanygd760;n8880224 said:
loooooooooooooool I actually almost asked if you were sure it was Sleepy Hollow metroparks or the one in Alliance, I got a $10 hot deal like 5 years ago to what I thought was the metroparks course, turns out not so much.

9 was the hole I witnessed a 5 or 6 putt from 20 inches and an 8 or 9 putt.

I assume they cut the pins on high spots and slopes just in case it rained tons.

Yeah, I R dumb.

The pins were in spots, well about half, that, if you didn't hit the exact spot you needed with your wedge/approach, you were boned. The greens weren't the fastest I've ever seen there, but they were rolling pretty good.

Grins showed his Level 10 wizardry by hitting a Bridgestone ball with his drive on number 10, and transmogrifying it to a Titleist DT when he found it. Damndest thing I've ever seen. Must have happened mid-flight.

Good morning/afternoon everyone!!! Hope everyone has a great day. Probably won't be much golf today or tomorrow with heat indexes in the 100+ range.

I have had great success with my intensive 5W training. I am getting hang of the club weight and momentum, getting confidence to strike through the ball and mostly also hitting the ball right in the middle of the club face. Went to range yesterday and I was mostly bombing 5W. At the same time my confidence with driver has also increased, I just "hit the hammer to the back of the ball" and ball goes click-swoosh.

Only problem is that combined with my physical training, I don't have enough rest and muscles and tendons are getting sore. Not too much, but I have to be carefull not to overdo this. On positive side of the physical training, swinging with 17.6lbs kettlebell teaches timing. There can be no flipping or shortcutting the swing, otherwise your hands will fall off.

jlaakso;n8880435 said:
I have had great success with my intensive 5W training. I am getting hang of the club weight and momentum, getting confidence to strike through the ball and mostly also hitting the ball right in the middle of the club face. Went to range yesterday and I was mostly bombing 5W. At the same time my confidence with driver has also increased, I just "hit the hammer to the back of the ball" and ball goes click-swoosh.

Only problem is that combined with my physical training, I don't have enough rest and muscles and tendons are getting sore. Not too much, but I have to be carefull not to overdo this. On positive side of the physical training, swinging with 17.6lbs kettlebell teaches timing. There can be no flipping or shortcutting the swing, otherwise your hands will fall off.

Become sedentary like me. No worries about overtraining.

Hamfist;n8880480 said:
Become sedentary like me. No worries about overtraining.

00bd258f4cc9f336cf00db56d02a5ea6.jpg

Played 18 holes yesterday with a former coworker. Noteable shots include multiple fairways found (Driver was the star club today) multiple GIR, driver off the deck for ~220 yards to put me within chipping range of a long par 5.

I had 2 +3 holes, several doubles and plenty of Pars. Missed birdie by an inch! carded a 94! my 2nd best score on that course.

Played a round yesterday in the 100* heat in Dallas, heat index up to 108 with humidity factored in. Took some practice swings before heading out to be sure that my pulled left rib area or muscle that I felt I pulled a week or 2 ago felt ok. While I could feel it a little bit, it was nothing like last weekend where it was very tender to the touch at end of my round.

Whew, sweat was in full abundance yesterday LOL!

1st hole it seems I always find the creek with my first drive. Take a mulligan, reset, and smack a fantastic 250 yard drive right into the fairway. Next shot I blow past the hole, I should have gone up probably 2 clubs. Chip to the green and 2 putt for a bogey.

Next couple holes I play bogey golf until par 3 and I double bogey on it. Double on 6 and triple bogey on the next par 3. Chipping has been inconsistent and I need to figure it out. Afraid of going past the hole so I had several shots that my chips went maybe 10 feet, Oi Vay!!

Front 9 52

Back 9 wasn't much better, played double bogey golf for first few holes, parred on 13, body 14-15, par on 16, another double on a par 3, finished up with bogey and a 47.

Had 5 putts where I lipped out, that certainly drove the scores up. Putting is coming along and I usually have a good line. The greens were really slow on some holes yesterday.

Nicegy525;n8880579 said:
Played 18 holes yesterday with a former coworker. Noteable shots include multiple fairways found (Driver was the star club today) multiple GIR, driver off the deck for ~220 yards to put me within chipping range of a long par 5.

I had 2 +3 holes, several doubles and plenty of Pars. Missed birdie by an inch! carded a 94! my 2nd best score on that course.

Nice!!

vdubtx;n8880602 said:
Played a round yesterday in the 100* heat in Dallas, heat index up to 108 with humidity factored in. Took some practice swings before heading out to be sure that my pulled left rib area or muscle that I felt I pulled a week or 2 ago felt ok. While I could feel it a little bit, it was nothing like last weekend where it was very tender to the touch at end of my round.

Whew, sweat was in full abundance yesterday LOL!

1st hole it seems I always find the creek with my first drive. Take a mulligan, reset, and smack a fantastic 250 yard drive right into the fairway. Next shot I blow past the hole, I should have gone up probably 2 clubs. Chip to the green and 2 putt for a bogey.

Next couple holes I play bogey golf until par 3 and I double bogey on it. Double on 6 and triple bogey on the next par 3. Chipping has been inconsistent and I need to figure it out. Afraid of going past the hole so I had several shots that my chips went maybe 10 feet, Oi Vay!!

Front 9 52

Back 9 wasn't much better, played double bogey golf for first few holes, parred on 13, body 14-15, par on 16, another double on a par 3, finished up with bogey and a 47.

Had 5 putts where I lipped out, that certainly drove the scores up. Putting is coming along and I usually have a good line. The greens were really slow on some holes yesterday.

Just to assuage your pain on that par three, a buddy of mine took a 13 on a part three Saturday. Yes, you read that correctly. Four straight balls into the water in front of the tee box. Fifth tee shot was in the front bunker.

Hamfist;n8880675 said:
Just to assuage your pain on that par three, a buddy of mine took a 13 on a part three Saturday. Yes, you read that correctly. Four straight balls into the water in front of the tee box. Fifth tee shot was in the front bunker.

Ouch!!

Back