Trying to Break 100

Hamfist;n8880675 said:
Just to assuage your pain on that par three, a buddy of mine took a 13 on a part three Saturday. Yes, you read that correctly. Four straight balls into the water in front of the tee box. Fifth tee shot was in the front bunker.

Ouch that does hurt, but I have taken a 9 on a par 3 once with two pulls OB on my home course. I HATE that hole, thank god they made it a lateral hazard instead of an OB now! :banana: I only took a 5 the last time I hit one left,out.

I shot 44 in my work league finale tonight. I hit all 7 fairways and although the drives did not go far, the game is SO much easier when you're getting off the tee in decent shape. I still only managed to hit 1 green on a par 3 and was 0/7 on par 4s/par 5s, but I was missing in reasonable places, making good wedge shots, and only had 14 putts.

My last 5 9 hole rounds on full length courses now have been 47, 46, 40, 46, and 44. I feel like I'm turning the corner and can competently get around a golf course of the appropriate tee length.

What was not good tonight were all of the tops. I topped my tee shot on the par 3 4th, my 2nd shot on the par 5 5th, the approaches on both 6 and 7, and the 2nd shot on the par 5 2nd. 5 tops. Not good.

After my top on #5, I had 83 yards left and hit my UW to about 1 foot for a tap in par. I had 4 pars on the night.

Dave

dthrog00;n8881437 said:
I shot 44 in my work league finale tonight. I hit all 7 fairways and although the drives did not go far, the game is SO much easier when you're getting off the tee in decent shape. I still only managed to hit 1 green on a par 3 and was 0/7 on par 4s/par 5s, but I was missing in reasonable places, making good wedge shots, and only had 14 putts.

My last 5 9 hole rounds on full length courses now have been 47, 46, 40, 46, and 44. I feel like I'm turning the corner and can competently get around a golf course of the appropriate tee length.

What was not good tonight were all of the tops. I topped my tee shot on the par 3 4th, my 2nd shot on the par 5 5th, the approaches on both 6 and 7, and the 2nd shot on the par 5 2nd. 5 tops. Not good.

After my top on #5, I had 83 yards left and hit my UW to about 1 foot for a tap in par. I had 4 pars on the night.

Dave

Five rounds in the 40's is completely competent. I can do 5 tops in 2 holes. Beat that!

When do the new sticks come in?

dthrog00;n8881437 said:

*snip*

Dave

That's a solid set of rounds. Keep it up! I love that comfort of the perfect length UW shot. I've done that crap/flub/top/fat shot more than once to set up that distance. it's like my subconscious wants me at that distance. Knocking it to about a foot, regardless of how you got to that spot, is a an awesome swing of the club! I hope to hit one that close.

I got nothin’.

Hamfist;n8881664 said:
Five rounds in the 40's is completely competent. I can do 5 tops in 2 holes. Beat that!

When do the new sticks come in?

Clubs came in today! I had a grass range session tonight. It rained hard this morning so the ground was still fairly wet and hitting it even slightly fat was fairly penal. Results were ok and about what I normally do when it is wet. The Tour guys clean up the scorecard on a wet course and I have to clean my clubs a lot on a wet course :)

The clubs look good and sound good. Size is very G15-ish, maybe slightly taller toe height, but the soles are narrower.

Dave

mtbloco;n8881877 said:
That's a solid set of rounds. Keep it up! I love that comfort of the perfect length UW shot. I've done that crap/flub/top/fat shot more than once to set up that distance. it's like my subconscious wants me at that distance. Knocking it to about a foot, regardless of how you got to that spot, is a an awesome swing of the club! I hope to hit one that close.

That UW shot was best one of the whole season so far in about 300 holes.

Keep pluggin away and the occasional really good shot or birdie will come!

Dave

A couple of crazy busy weeks, but I managed to get some golf in. Just call it The good, the bad and the ugly.
The good - I finally made par on my par 3 nemesis last week. I'd been practicing with my 6H to drive it to just the right spot on this tricky hole, landed it a little left and it rolled to just about 3 inches from the bunker. Chipped it high and it it caught the slope just right and it rolled within 3 feet of the cup. Tapped it in for success! One small putt for mankind, one giant leap for me.
The bad - later in that same round after a very good tee shot I proceeded slice my next two shots into the water.
The ugly - my broken toe is taking a long time to heal. Icing it a couple of times a day (gotta love pain cakes) and keeping it taped.

dthrog00;n8882391 said:
Keep pluggin away and the occasional really good shot or birdie will come!

Dave
That is the plan.

The forecast calls for a reprieve from the excessive heat this weekend. So I’m booked for my first round at my “home” course on Friday afternoon and then a round Sunday at a scenic course out at the base of the superstition wilderness. The looming price hike come October in AZ for golf has me hoping I enjoy the challenge the course I got the low level membership at presents.

Brian

mtbloco;n8882433 said:
That is the plan.

The forecast calls for a reprieve from the excessive heat this weekend. So I’m booked for my first round at my “home” course on Friday afternoon and then a round Sunday at a scenic course out at the base of the superstition wilderness. The looming price hike come October in AZ for golf has me hoping I enjoy the challenge the course I got the low level membership at presents.

Brian

I love the enthusiasm! How are you the G410's treating you? You must use the 5W off the tee typically?

Dave

dthrog00;n8882438 said:
I love the enthusiasm! How are you the G410's treating you? You must use the 5W off the tee typically?

Dave

16 years of not playing golf then run out and buy “custom” fit clubs....then go play golf. You could say I’m enthusiastic about it.

Im really loving the G410s. While I understand what people say about the sound from the irons, they just plain preform for me. The hieght I get in my shots is almost silly. I ask my playing partner if he thinks I’m ballooning my shots. He just points out you’re carrying you 7i 155-160 yards, so it’s not hindering me, and they can land soft when I get them up there. My greatest shot so far was a 110 yard UW over water to a green with water on 3 sides, pin tucked to water side and I dropped it 10 ft from the pin. 2 putt bogey because I out hit the available fairway with the 5W!

The 5W and 4H are excellent. I have to choke up a bit to keep it straight, but that’s a swing fault of mine not the club. When I hit it straight I’m getting 210-225 out of the 5W off the tee and deck. And 190-200 with the 4H.

Morning #b100. Couple of silly busy days surrounding a decent (but nothing more than decent) 46+46=92.

As a sidenote: Experiment Time. I took my brothers old Callaway GBB driver to the range again (10°, 43.25" shaft, 265cc head). Actually hit it pretty well, it's pretty much the same specs as a "mini driver", so I'm booking somewhere relatively forgiving for the weekend to test it out.

Back at work today, but it has been an enjoyable few days off with 3 rounds of golf thrown in for good measure

Sunday - played in our Memorial Trophy day and finished 6 points behind the winner and 3 shots over my handicap
Monday - played at Slaley Hall for the first time in about 20 years and despite driving the ball very well I shot 2 over my handicap
Tuesday - played at my home course and felt like I struggled but still only shot 2 over my handicap

On a plus point, I had 3 birdies (1 each day), and if a couple of putts had dropped it would have been 2 eagles and 1 birdie

Sunday was tough due to how windy it was, then Monday was tough as well but that was more down to the amount of walking we did - the actual playing length of the course wasn't that long, but a lot of holes had quite some distance from the green to the next tee, so we walked a total of 7.5 miles
Needless to say I am aching a bit today after walking best part of 20 miles in the last 3 days

Got another round booked for Saturday, so hopefully a couple days off will help straighten out the swing once my body recovers

TheDoctor;n8882550 said:
Back at work today, but it has been an enjoyable few days off with 3 rounds of golf thrown in for good measure

Sunday - played in our Memorial Trophy day and finished 6 points behind the winner and 3 shots over my handicap
Monday - played at Slaley Hall for the first time in about 20 years and despite driving the ball very well I shot 2 over my handicap
Tuesday - played at my home course and felt like I struggled but still only shot 2 over my handicap

On a plus point, I had 3 birdies (1 each day), and if a couple of putts had dropped it would have been 2 eagles and 1 birdie

Sunday was tough due to how windy it was, then Monday was tough as well but that was more down to the amount of walking we did - the actual playing length of the course wasn't that long, but a lot of holes had quite some distance from the green to the next tee, so we walked a total of 7.5 miles
Needless to say I am aching a bit today after walking best part of 20 miles in the last 3 days

Got another round booked for Saturday, so hopefully a couple days off will help straighten out the swing once my body recovers

I take it the new irons are treating you well Doc. Good golf.

dthrog00;n8882389 said:
Clubs came in today! I had a grass range session tonight. It rained hard this morning so the ground was still fairly wet and hitting it even slightly fat was fairly penal. Results were ok and about what I normally do when it is wet. The Tour guys clean up the scorecard on a wet course and I have to clean my clubs a lot on a wet course :)

The clubs look good and sound good. Size is very G15-ish, maybe slightly taller toe height, but the soles are narrower.

Dave

Sounds sweet! The soles on my F8s are a bit narrower than the G20s as well. Not sure if that has a real affect on my ability to hit them. I think the overall smaller head size of the Cobras is my real sticking point. How do they feel weight-wise to the G15s? I noticed Sunday that there was a nice heft to the Pings the helped me.

Maric;n8882392 said:
A couple of crazy busy weeks, but I managed to get some golf in. Just call it The good, the bad and the ugly.
The good - I finally made par on my par 3 nemesis last week. I'd been practicing with my 6H to drive it to just the right spot on this tricky hole, landed it a little left and it rolled to just about 3 inches from the bunker. Chipped it high and it it caught the slope just right and it rolled within 3 feet of the cup. Tapped it in for success! One small putt for mankind, one giant leap for me.
The bad - later in that same round after a very good tee shot I proceeded slice my next two shots into the water.
The ugly - my broken toe is taking a long time to heal. Icing it a couple of times a day (gotta love pain cakes) and keeping it taped.

Did you mutter a profanity aimed at the now-conquered hole?

Sorry to hear about the toe. Kick the night stand in the dark?

Snickerdog;n8882641 said:

Thanks Snickers

Yes, the new irons seem to be working out pretty well, if only the operator could get his swing in proper order things could be even better, although dropping from 11.8 to 10.7 in the last month isn't a bad start

Monday was fun, despite the wind picking up, I was driving the ball ridiculously well, with a few drives in the 280-300yd range (admittedly a couple were downhill or down-wind) which at times actually put me in a couple of tricky spots when I drove through fairways at times..... :banghead:
One of the better drives of the day was actually a provisional ball when I wasn't sure if I had lost my original - after Andrew had hit his tee shot (which he said he hit very well), I hit my provisional and flew my ball past where his finished and ended up about another 50yds further down the fairway

Andrew hit my driver on Tuesday on our par 5 9th hole, which is slightly uphill from the tee and he couldn't believe how much further he was up the fairway :D

That is great to here TheDoctor Always fun when you are hitting those great shots. Sounds like your friend needs a new driver. :alien:

thommo.sx;n8882548 said:
Morning #b100. Couple of silly busy days surrounding a decent (but nothing more than decent) 46+46=92.

As a sidenote: Experiment Time. I took my brothers old Callaway GBB driver to the range again (10°, 43.25" shaft, 265cc head). Actually hit it pretty well, it's pretty much the same specs as a "mini driver", so I'm booking somewhere relatively forgiving for the weekend to test it out.

I gamed a mini for a while, not a bad club design at all. Since you hit a 3W well, it should game well for you. What's the loft difference between the two?

Snickerdog;n8882641 said:

Ooof. My feet hurt just reading this.

Out of curiosity, Doc, are you a doctor?

Hamfist;n8882694 said:
Ooof. My feet hurt just reading this.

Out of curiosity, Doc, are you a doctor?

Yeah, we walked a few miles over the last couple days :beat-up:

No, I am not a doctor, I just work for the health service (Information / IT) here in the UK and I have followed MotoGP for a long time so it was a little play on both worlds
Although with 20+ years in the health service you can't help but pick up a few things in terms of knowledge but I would never try to pass off any medical information as fact

mtbloco;n8882455 said:
16 years of not playing golf then run out and buy “custom” fit clubs....then go play golf. You could say I’m enthusiastic about it.

Like you, I came back after a 20 yr absence. I started out with my old sticks, but realized that a proper fit would help my game - since the clubs were tuned to my game these days. I don’t have the club head speed of my youth, nor do I have the flexibility. It also stopped the “are these clubs right for me?” chatter.

Golf can be an addiction, but it should be as enjoyable as possible. You hit it square: PLAY golf, don’t work it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheDoctor;n8882705 said:
Yeah, we walked a few miles over the last couple days :beat-up:

No, I am not a doctor, I just work for the health service (Information / IT) here in the UK and I have followed MotoGP for a long time so it was a little play on both worlds
Although with 20+ years in the health service you can't help but pick up a few things in terms of knowledge but I would never try to pass off any medical information as fact

Have you gone to the Isle of Man TTs? Would love to do that one day.

Hamfist;n8882739 said:
Have you gone to the Isle of Man TTs? Would love to do that one day.

Unfortunately not, but I do have a number of friends who have done it - I haven't managed to get to a MotoGP round, but I have been to a number of British Superbike rounds when they were held at a track not far from me

Hamfist;n8882660 said:
Did you mutter a profanity aimed at the now-conquered hole?

Sorry to hear about the toe. Kick the night stand in the dark?

I was raised by a Southern Mama so I rarely used profanity until I started to golf. I did however raise my fist in victory and do my end zone dance.

My toe was a result of tripping over the vacuum cleaner, this is why I avoid cleaning as much as possible.

Back