Trying to Break 100

Maric;n8882839 said:
I was raised by a Southern Mama so I rarely used profanity until I started to golf. I did however raise my fist in victory and do my end zone dance.

My toe was a result of tripping over the vacuum cleaner, this is why I avoid cleaning as much as possible.

I endorse this message.

Maric;n8882839 said:
I was raised by a Southern Mama so I rarely used profanity until I started to golf. I did however raise my fist in victory and do my end zone dance.

My toe was a result of tripping over the vacuum cleaner, this is why I avoid cleaning as much as possible.

You where late for tee time and had to jump over it? :laughing:

Big day tomorrow, my first tournament. Trying to fight the excitement and anxiety, with poor results. Weather will be nice, the course is super nice,I am..well.. Sleep deprevated, a bit stressed and running circles. It's been quite hectic at work after summer holidays.

Begin shameless begging:

Psst - everyone go over to the Golf Talk forum and comment in my thread “the mental side of golf” for the granddaddy contest

End shameless begging

So how’s golf treating ya’all? Outing planned with my nieces and their mom at a local shortish course. The 16 year old to play with, and the 12 year old just wants to drive the cart. They have a little chipping short course that we might do with the youngest (she’s 4’8” and 79 lb 7th grader - unfortunately she got my short genes).

Last edited:
TheDoctor;n8882705 said:
Yeah, we walked a few miles over the last couple days :beat-up:

No, I am not a doctor, I just work for the health service (Information / IT) here in the UK and I have followed MotoGP for a long time so it was a little play on both worlds
Although with 20+ years in the health service you can't help but pick up a few things in terms of knowledge but I would never try to pass off any medical information as fact

Valentino #46 is still my favorite. Have been to Laguna Seca for 4 MotoGP races. Nothing compares.

Hamfist;n8882657 said:
Sounds sweet! The soles on my F8s are a bit narrower than the G20s as well. Not sure if that has a real affect on my ability to hit them. I think the overall smaller head size of the Cobras is my real sticking point. How do they feel weight-wise to the G15s? I noticed Sunday that there was a nice heft to the Pings the helped me.

For images see my write up in the irons thread.

https://www.thehackersparadise.com/...ries/89186-cobra-king-os-irons-preview/page14

My G15s have AWT R flex and I think they come in at 100g. The King OS has Recoil 460 ES F3s which are 65g. They feel noticeably lighter. The AP2s I had been using have True Temper Dynamic Gold AMT R300 -- a damn heavy shaft that feels like a sledge hammer after the Recoils. I need all of the distance help I can get and hope the Recoils will help. I'm pleased so far. While the shafts are light they are not weak. They are holding up to my swing just fine.

Dave

Great clinic tonight. On course, modified scramble. We scramble until we are about 50 ft from the hole and then everyone plays their own ball. Tonight instead of best ball we alternated between best ball and worst ball. I got a lot of bunker practice. I really hate not being able to ground my club in the sand.

Hamfist;n8882683 said:
I gamed a mini for a while, not a bad club design at all. Since you hit a 3W well, it should game well for you. What's the loft difference between the two?

Well, there's a couple of things here - there's about a 4° diff between the "mini" and the 3w (9.5° vs 13.5°), there's about 1" diff in shaft length (matron) between the two, my 3w is R flex, the GBB is "strong" which is apparently like relatively soft stiff (but that's guesswork tbh - it's a 1997 vintage).

At the moment, I'm not hitting the 3w that well (directional consistency rather than strike quality), but on a like-for-like comparison I'm seeing the following on the Range TopTracer - 3w on good strikes are more consistent in their flight and distances (generally around the 220-230 carry, rolling out to 230-240, height of around 85 feet), the mini with a similar peak height lands around the same distance but rolls out an extra 7-10 yards, but I also get strikes that sounds/feel similar, the peak height goes way up (>110 feet), lands around 185-195 and rolls out < 10 yards. I can't prove it, as I don't have access to a Quad or whatever, but it feels like the mini is spinning like a maniac on some shots and knuckleballing on others, but I can't determine what is causing it exactly. Bit too uncertain for me to trust it on a scored round. I'll still take it on Sunday (we're over Epping again), and I might hit a few "provisionals" if there's no-one up our jacksie.

I like the tinkering side of this when I'm on the range, but I also like having a consistent bag make up that I can trust on a round - if that is <14 clubs, I have no issue with that. Currently, the 3w is requiring some finesse/adjustment with how I'm hitting it, so it's out, although I am also constantly on the lookout for a (dirt) cheap F7 Driver head to pop onto the 3w shaft, for plops and chuckles.

The 5w/2h are going pretty similar distances, achieved differently flight and roll wise (I'm outdriving my partner's Driver 50% of the time, so distance is not really an issue). Right now I feel like the 5w (weight forward) just has the edge, because a) it can go over trees and obstacles with ease, and b) I often put a more relaxed swing on it without thinking. I got lulled into going after the 2h a bit after a good round, but now I'm consciously having to dial that back a little bit, whereas with the 5w it's more natural, so I can just pick a shot and play it without having too much swirling around my meagre little swede.

Good morning/afternoon everyone. Looks to be a rainy day so no golf today, maybe tomorrow.

Snickerdog;n8884711 said:
Good morning/afternoon everyone. Looks to be a rainy day so no golf today, maybe tomorrow.

Afternoon Snickers

No golf here but that is due to this little thing called work, although it has been raining as well
Forecast for the weekend looks pretty good though

Something new tonight. A local Pro is setting up an women's immediate clinic. 20 minutes of working on a single facet (tonight uneven lies) and then 9 guided holes. Should be interesting.

Maric;n8884731 said:
Something new tonight. A local Pro is setting up an women's immediate clinic. 20 minutes of working on a single facet (tonight uneven lies) and then 9 guided holes. Should be interesting.

Aw maaaaan. I need to move to SC - that sounds awesome!

I had a decent tourney round. Carded 110 with 36 bogey points. I was third best in the bogey points for this tournament. My prize was dozen ProV1 and vendor branded pitch fork :)

Front nine was good, even great, but the back nine is a lot more difficult and again I got quite tired for some reason.

jlaakso;n8884921 said:
I had a decent tourney round. Carded 110 with 36 bogey points. I was third best in the bogey points for this tournament. My prize was dozen ProV1 and vendor branded pitch fork :)

Front nine was good, even great, but the back nine is a lot more difficult and again I got quite tired for some reason.

Nice job on the tournament!

As for the tired, speaking from experience, keep a keen eye on how you feel. Don’t let something sneak up on you and really knock you down physically.

I’m certain now that my staph infection was festering quietly in my body for months, based on how I’ve felt since April. It took something to bring it out in the open, which might have gone on quietly and gotten even worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Golf Dawg;n8884991 said:
Nice job on the tournament!

As for the tired, speaking from experience, keep a keen eye on how you feel. Don’t let something sneak up on you and really knock you down physically.

I’m certain now that my staph infection was festering quietly in my body for months, based on how I’ve felt since April. It took something to bring it out in the open, which might have gone on quietly and gotten even worse.

In my case, it's most likely prolonged sleep deprevation. That's mostly self inflicted, so cure is at my disposal.. Right? :)

thommo.sx;n8884668 said:
Well, there's a couple of things here - there's about a 4° diff between the "mini" and the 3w (9.5° vs 13.5°), there's about 1" diff in shaft length (matron) between the two, my 3w is R flex, the GBB is "strong" which is apparently like relatively soft stiff (but that's guesswork tbh - it's a 1997 vintage).

At the moment, I'm not hitting the 3w that well (directional consistency rather than strike quality), but on a like-for-like comparison I'm seeing the following on the Range TopTracer - 3w on good strikes are more consistent in their flight and distances (generally around the 220-230 carry, rolling out to 230-240, height of around 85 feet), the mini with a similar peak height lands around the same distance but rolls out an extra 7-10 yards, but I also get strikes that sounds/feel similar, the peak height goes way up (>110 feet), lands around 185-195 and rolls out < 10 yards. I can't prove it, as I don't have access to a Quad or whatever, but it feels like the mini is spinning like a maniac on some shots and knuckleballing on others, but I can't determine what is causing it exactly. Bit too uncertain for me to trust it on a scored round. I'll still take it on Sunday (we're over Epping again), and I might hit a few "provisionals" if there's no-one up our jacksie.

I like the tinkering side of this when I'm on the range, but I also like having a consistent bag make up that I can trust on a round - if that is <14 clubs, I have no issue with that. Currently, the 3w is requiring some finesse/adjustment with how I'm hitting it, so it's out, although I am also constantly on the lookout for a (dirt) cheap F7 Driver head to pop onto the 3w shaft, for plops and chuckles.

The 5w/2h are going pretty similar distances, achieved differently flight and roll wise (I'm outdriving my partner's Driver 50% of the time, so distance is not really an issue). Right now I feel like the 5w (weight forward) just has the edge, because a) it can go over trees and obstacles with ease, and b) I often put a more relaxed swing on it without thinking. I got lulled into going after the 2h a bit after a good round, but now I'm consciously having to dial that back a little bit, whereas with the 5w it's more natural, so I can just pick a shot and play it without having too much swirling around my meagre little swede.

Well written. Also, If the 5W is the ticket right now, keep rolling it. Same distance, less clamoring in the melon=all good.

I've got an F6 driver waiting for you with three different shafts to try. One regulation in R flex, one 43.5" in S flex, and the 3W I had been using in it.

Hamfist;n8885200 said:
Well written. Also, If the 5W is the ticket right now, keep rolling it. Same distance, less clamoring in the melon=all good.

I've got an F6 driver waiting for you with three different shafts to try. One regulation in R flex, one 43.5" in S flex, and the 3W I had been using in it.

This gladdens my black heart :good:

Maric;n8884731 said:

Have fun and pick their brain on the 9 hole portion. Play well.

Taking my wife to her first 18 hole 72 par golf course tomorrow. That is the good news, the bad is my new putter is a day late and won't show up until tomorrow evening. Damn Fedex!!!

Damn you, FedEx!! Damn you to hell!!

ULEWZ;n8886205 said:
Taking my wife to her first 18 hole 72 par golf course tomorrow. That is the good news, the bad is my new putter is a day late and won't show up until tomorrow evening. Damn Fedex!!!

Sorry about FredEx. Bummer about the putter. Have fun with the round tomorrow!

Golf Dawg;n8886377 said:
Sorry about FredEx. Bummer about the putter. Have fun with the round tomorrow!

They get your hopes up, and then ka-slam. Oh well, life goes on. Thanks for the encouragement.

Hey y'all...

I've skimmed the new thread and can say that:
  1. The PM Grind is a great wedge because the grooves go all the way out to the toe. I'm a flopper so that comes in handy. I've had a 60*/10* bounce and currently have a 58*/10* when it's wet. I really wish that the bounce was lower because I love to use my 58-60* on tight lies around the green.
  2. Not breaking 100 makes me pretty upset, but the B100 spirit should be contagious.
  3. Nice to see that Hamfist is still hammy..and/or fisty.

Golf Dawg;n8879159 said:
I’m playing golf! At St. Andrews no less.

Well, as close as I will for the next few months...

70b3d2ca6c21b98a5de2abc4a9b4ff34.jpg

+2 through five...

7b0dbd1d87ccc9bbe00b2e7a00e21587.jpg

Funnily enough, The Old Course is one of the tracks on the Virtual Golf TopTracer at the range - love playing it. :good: My best ever is +2 for 18 off the whites (6,350 or so)....I have no firm proof, but I suspect it's a lot trickier in real life. You know, with real rough, bunkers, putting and that.

Hope your hip / infection is going as well as can be hoped, Dawg.

Can't wait for my clubs to get here so I can try to break 100.

In the meantime, I'm designing a course on 2019 PGA Tour for XBox One. It's a links course. It's taken me four days to finish two holes. Each hole has four tees, but yardages from the tips..... First hole is a 468 yd par 4. Pretty straight forward with a dogleg left, two bunkers on the left, a pot bunker in front of the green. You don't want to hit a weak right.... Hit it left it'll roll into a bunker. Wind will be a factor. I think it's a beautiful hole - it's along the coastline with a lighthouse some sailboats and a cargo ship for a backdrop. 2nd hole is a 225 yd par 3 over a water hazard with a bunker behind the green that slopes front to back. Fairways are firm with a lot of roll. Greens are soft normal, but fast. Can't wait to finish so I can shoot 90 on it.

Last edited:
Back