Trying to Break 100

InTheRough;n8886590 said:
In the meantime, I'm designing a course on 2019 PGA Tour for XBox One. It's a links course. It's taken me four days to finish two holes. Each hole has four tees, but yardages from the tips..... First hole is a 468 yd par 4. Pretty straight forward with a dogleg left, two bunkers on the left, a pot bunker in front of the green. You don't want to hit a weak right.... Hit it left it'll roll into a bunker. Wind will be a factor. I think it's a beautiful hole - it's along the coastline with a lighthouse some sailboats and a cargo ship for a backdrop. 2nd hole is a 225 yd par 3 over a water hazard with a bunker behind the green that slopes front to back. Fairways are firm with a lot of roll. Greens are soft normal, but fast. Can't wait to finish so I can shoot 90 on it.

I really enjoy doing that in The Golf Club 2, and I default to links as my terrain of choice. It's very therapeutic. :good:

brianmk24;n8886421 said:
Hey y'all...

I've skimmed the new thread and can say that:
  1. The PM Grind is a great wedge because the grooves go all the way out to the toe. I'm a flopper so that comes in handy. I've had a 60*/10* bounce and currently have a 58*/10* when it's wet. I really wish that the bounce was lower because I love to use my 58-60* on tight lies around the green.
  2. Not breaking 100 makes me pretty upset, but the B100 spirit should be contagious.
  3. Nice to see that Hamfist is still hammy..and/or fisty.

We have Hammy AND Fisty!

thommo.sx;n8886618 said:
When I come over to stay, I'm only hoping to meet Hammy.

Oh come on - you were all thinking it.

Oh, you sweet, filthy man.

thommo.sx;n8886618 said:

Just remember 911 is the emergency services number in the US. Make sure you check the GPS to verify where the house is. You know. Just to be safe.

I thought I'd post a little update since I did say on the forum that I might start golf again. I haven't played for 10 years and played just a little before that. I live in France (Dordogne and Nice area) but moved from Los Angeles.

A few observations after my first couple of rounds:
(1) I could never hit woods and kind of gave up. I did a few balls on the range and managed to hit some so I committed to using my driver and have been pleasantly surprised.
(2) My clubs are 10 years old and a cheap set. I'm thinking of getting some GI irons if I keep going.
(3) My iron shots are not great.
(4) I have a 24 degree hybrid that I try and use whenever I can because I get better distance if it works.

Now to the scores. Same course La Marterie in the Dordogne (rated 71.8 / 136) :
1st outing 58 on the back 9 rated at 35 with 1 penalty shot.
2nd outing 139 (yes 139) rated at 73 with 8 penalties. 2 pars.
3rd outing 118 with 6 penalties. 2 pars. Also scored a 10 on a par 3.

I'm enjoying the challenge. It sucks losing balls and the related penalties.

Last edited:
Stuggy;n8886648 said:
I thought I'd post a little update since I did say on the forum that I might start golf again. I haven't played for 10 years and played just a little before that. I live in France (Dordogne and Nice area) but moved from Los Angeles.

(1) I could never hit woods and kind of gave up. I did a few balls on the range and managed to hit some so I committed to using my driver and have been pleasantly surprised.
(2) My clubs are 10 years old and a cheap set. I'm thinking of getting some GI irons if I keep going.
(4) I have a 24 degree hybrid that I try and use whenever I can because I get better distance if it works.

Welcome Stuggy :good:

Stuggy;n8886648 said:

Welcome aboard, Stuggy!

If you can swing it, finance-wise, I reomment a set of SGI irons. You can pick older models up quite reasonably. for high cappers, it definitely helps. I hope to see you here often.

dazeedmonds;n8886628 said:
Just remember 911 is the emergency services number in the US. Make sure you check the GPS to verify where the house is. You know. Just to be safe.

The only hole in that approach is assuming he still has a phone when he wakes up.

thommo.sx;n8886618 said:

I’m usually a big fan of videos during thp events so that I can put faces to names. This thread reminds me that’s not a default ideal approach for every gathering.

Hamfist;n8886685 said:
Welcome aboard, Stuggy!

If you can swing it, finance-wise, I reomment a set of SGI irons. You can pick older models up quite reasonably. for high cappers, it definitely helps. I hope to see you here often.

^ This. Check the second hand sites as well - not sure what it's like in France but in the UK, sites like golfbidder or affordablegolf are an absolute goldmine for gently used GI / SGI clubs.

As an example, I see plenty of sets dated between 2015-2017 for between £200-£300 on golfbidder, and they all have a recommended handicap setting. I'm sure there will be something similar en France.

Stuggy;n8886648 said:

Enjoy the pursuit and have FUN! Yes, it does suck to lose balls, but that will decrease. When the scores start to improve, the excitement will build. Until then, find some good in every hole and continue to work on the rest.

Remember, it’s PLAY golf, not work golf!

#liveoverpar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stuggy;n8886648 said:

Don't be cautious about buying the Decathlon balls either - the 500 + 900 are both VERY good value.

I just bought a pre-owned SeeMore DB4 putter on the bay, another “Anser Style” putter, which is my favorite.

c0e593d2ea2ebbb91afff6553ec941ef.jpg

7c2e8a2dee4691d567bd0368fa64b28e.jpg

22b0c21066f3d3168b3f7fed7efbb5a0.jpg

I tried a FGP in the past. It was okay, but I sold it to fund my “putter ho” addiction. What can I say, I like plumber neck putters - with six now in the stable.

It will have some work to do to replace my gamer, which I’m rolling really well and was designed by my golf instructor, Todd Sones. Im ridin‘ the good karma train with it...

Golf Dawg;n8886938 said:
I just bought a pre-owned SeeMore DB4 putter on the bay, another “Anser Style” putter, which is my favorite.

I tried a FGP in the past. It was okay, but I sold it to fund my “putter ho” addiction. What can I say, I like plumber neck putters - with six now in the stable.

It will have some work to do to replace my gamer, which I’m rolling really well and was designed by my golf instructor, Todd Sones. Im ridin‘ the good karma train with it...

Oooo nice pickup!

I love my FGP blade but I’ve got the center shaft style. My brain can’t make the physics of all the crazy plumber neck double bend latest style hooziwhatsits. It’s like trying to play billiards with a double bend - the visuals and physics don’t work.

Hope you like it! And hope we get to finally play that round after you’re cleared!

Golf Dawg;n8886938 said:

Very nice pickup.

obedt;n8886698 said:
I’m usually a big fan of videos during thp events so that I can put faces to names. This thread reminds me that’s not a default ideal approach for every gathering.
:egyptian:

Hi everyone.
Had weeks of crazy "work travel" and haven't checked in for a while, but I've skimmed the new thread. Glad to see familiar folks still plugging away at B100 goals and beyond. I played twice while on the road. Once very poorly, and once carded a 99. That's about the new normal for me after averaging around 106 for a few months.

Might have to rest on that number for a while as I've finally put my ailing knee over the edge. Appointments have been made, but I suspect a medial meniscus tear and maybe some MCL damage. Once I'm fitted with a proper brace I'll get some chipping and putting going again, but no actual golfing for this guy for a while. :arrogant:

I'll keep checking in for encouragement from all of your progress and shenanigans.

Stuggy;n8886648 said:

If you're on a budget, I'd recommend a set of used Cobra BioCell irons or Taylormade Burner 2.0. Both sets can be had for around $200-240 USD depending upon condition. I gamed the Bio Cells for 5 years. Very good clubs. A friend of mine still plays his Burners. I've seen Mizuno JPX EZ Forged that inexpensive as well. I still use my Bio Cell hybrids.

It'll take time. Just keep the ball on the short grass. Hit the longest club you can keep in play.

Oh man...I just finished the first round at the course I got a players club card with. It's a par 71, 5937 yd. 68.1/125 course, from the "black" tees I play. (green, gold, black, red) Its layout has a lot of forced carries, some water, deep walled bunkers and mounts. It makes one really play location driven golf. very challenging and fun at the same time. It's in good condition the greens are a bit rough due to summer but still fast and well maintain. We had to play two holes from the red and two from the green due to re-sodding the tee boxes.

Here's the kicker...I shot a 45 on the front. and was on my way to a good back nine, until I puked it with some horrid bunker play. and took a 9 for a 53 on the back. But oh baby...I shot a 98!!! I had 4 pars and 6 bogies. I'm a bit excited that I played so well. and still left a lot on the table to improve.

I can't wait for Sunday's round.

Brian

thommo.sx;n8886702 said:
^ This. Check the second hand sites as well - not sure what it's like in France but in the UK, sites like golfbidder or affordablegolf are an absolute goldmine for gently used GI / SGI clubs.

As an example, I see plenty of sets dated between 2015-2017 for between £200-£300 on golfbidder, and they all have a recommended handicap setting. I'm sure there will be something similar en France.

Yep thanks for the links. I have seen both of those and more than likely will get something from them when I am ready. Golfbidder has a french euro denominated site with the same items for sale.

We finally had a great weather day here in NE OH so I decided to get a quick 9 in after work yesterday. Unfortunately the wheels came off for the whole round. And I think they were square wheels (like the train from the Island of Misfit Toys). Best hole was bogey - the rest were doubles & triples. I think I hit 2 good shots out of 53. Very frustrating, but the guys I was paired with were fun and the weather was beautiful. Just wish I could figure out where my swing went. I might have to put out a flier for it on a milk carton

Have a great weekend B100 folks! I can’t wait to hear about your rounds! #liveoverpar

Golf Dawg;n8888300 said:
Have a great weekend B100 folks! I can’t wait to hear about your rounds! #liveoverpar

Careful what you ask for. I had a horrid round last Friday with my wife. I don't think I have hit worse. I think it is time for some more lessons to get my consistency back on Par. I did hit a 25 foot putt from the fringe that made me smile, and one drive about 250 yards, but that was it. So I decided to make it a learning round and played my hybrid 5 multiple times, which actually worked for a change. Just treat it like an iron and hit away.

Golf Dawg;n8888300 said:

Round is scheduled for tomorrow morning (in 13 hours), so nothing to report from that yet.

Went to range today to hone my 5W skills, brought hybrids and wedges as well. I don't know what happened, but something clicked and I found my power swing. I was bombing the 5W to 200yd marker constantly. That is huge for me, as it's 30yd more than my average. Hybrids "suffered" from same power swing, 5h carries the way 4h used to and 4h carries like 5w used to. And the swing is quite consistent as I don't have time to think, just fire towards the target. Lesson learned, I need to start swinging without fear and I start hitting the ball consistently. Paradox, ehh?

Back