Trying to Break 100

Last few rounds had been in the high 80’s. And then I played Friday with a few forum members and shot a smooth 115 . Back out today and shot a 94 that should’ve been triple digits. I love this stupid game :golf:

The women's intermediate clinic was pretty good on Thursday. A little disorganized, but not bad for a first clinic. Just 4 of us and the Pro. We started with a warm-up on the range and after watching us the Pro gave us a single thing to concentrate on while on the course. We mixed things up on the course. Best ball for the most part but if one of us left and "interesting" lie we would all give it a try. We had one shot with the ball on the grass above a bunker and had to stand on a steep slope in the sand to make the shot. Did quite a few uneven lies and he offered individual coaching on some of the shots. We only got through 5 holes (we let the only other players on the course play through) but I left feeling like I learned something. It's worth going back to if this becomes a regular thing.

Hamfist;n8889432 said:
I’ve played Eagle creek in Norwalk, and will be playing there again this season.

That was the course I did most of my playing in high school. I was on the Willard High golf team. (place holder b/c they did have enough bodies to fill out a full team.)

Maric ;n8889702 said:
I left feeling like I learned something. It's worth going back to if this becomes a regular thing.

That is great!!!! Glad you where able to make it worth your time and had fun doing it.

So today I went out to Gold Canyon golf resort to play Sidewinder. This is the "other" course next to Dinosaur Mountain. Which is a really great course and should be on your list if you make to out to AZ. Sidewinder was a ghost town today it was literally just the three of us out there. We saw the cart woman once and that was it. We played the whites. rating/slope: 64.6/114.

I was making fair contact, but spraying it all over the place. A tight back was no help. This course was in really good condition, almost too soft in places. the rough was punishing and the greens were quick. some were a bit bumpy, but overall good summer conditions. Ice towel from the cart woman and fully stocked cooler on the cart was very welcome.

Enough blabbing.....I thought that i played worse than Friday given my hook/slice/top rinse/lather/repeat off the tee. The desert club came into play today. I was able to use it and advance a ball instead of having to take a penalty. I took enough of those anyway. However once I added it all up.....I shot a 50 on the front, 48 on the back! with 35 putts. My chipping was a highlight today. I'm really starting to get some feel from my 58 deg wedge. and only two 3 putts was very nice improvement. Here's two shots from the course of the Superstition mountains, and the namesake Dinosaur mtn in the back of the par 3.

Attachments

• photo36387.jpg
    photo36387.jpg
    923.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo36388.jpg
    photo36388.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Imaginos;n8889487 said:
Just outside of Philadelphia.

Dang. If it was Pittsburgh, I'd meet you somewhere for a round.

dsw1519;n8889565 said:
Shot 59/54 for a 113 at my home course. Had two left feet for some reason today. Played zig zag golf today. Driving was good, hybrids and putting just OK. Chipping and irons were herendous. Just one of those days where I couldn't make good contact. I've been scoring right around 100 consistently lately, so hopefully this is just an anomaly.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Another day, another round, another problem. Welcome to my world.

thommo.sx;n8889506 said:
Strictly tee - the thrive was so good today, I didn't need to hit anything over a hybrid for my second shot, even on the par 5.

Now, one of us - and I'm not saying which one - but one of us has just won a Cobra LTD driver head for £40, and whoever that person is, they will be dropping that head onto the 3w shaft as soon as it turns up, giving it some filthy swipes, and then having a long hard bath with themself as they think about gapping that thriver down to whatever the next club ends up being. :good:

So, you're going to game a thriver, a thrive-wood, and then something. Five-wood head on a 7-wood shaft is the logical step.

LLIB;n8889594 said:
Last few rounds had been in the high 80’s. And then I played Friday with a few forum members and shot a smooth 115 . Back out today and shot a 94 that should’ve been triple digits. I love this stupid game :golf:

A smooth 115. Yeah, baby. Smooooooth.

mtbloco;n8889746 said:
That was the course I did most of my playing in high school. I was on the Willard High golf team. (place holder b/c they did have enough bodies to fill out a full team.)

Lol. I did the same thing for pretty much every high school sport I signed up for.

Maric;n8889702 said:
The women's intermediate clinic was pretty good on Thursday. A little disorganized, but not bad for a first clinic. Just 4 of us and the Pro. We started with a warm-up on the range and after watching us the Pro gave us a single thing to concentrate on while on the course. We mixed things up on the course. Best ball for the most part but if one of us left and "interesting" lie we would all give it a try. We had one shot with the ball on the grass above a bunker and had to stand on a steep slope in the sand to make the shot. Did quite a few uneven lies and he offered individual coaching on some of the shots. We only got through 5 holes (we let the only other players on the course play through) but I left feeling like I learned something. It's worth going back to if this becomes a regular thing.

Your pro knows what they are doing. Throwing those different lies, and shots will make you better.

mtbloco;n8889775 said:
So today I went out to Gold Canyon golf resort to play Sidewinder. This is the "other" course next to Dinosaur Mountain. Which is a really great course and should be on your list if you make to out to AZ. Sidewinder was a ghost town today it was literally just the three of us out there. We saw the cart woman once and that was it. We played the whites. rating/slope: 64.6/114.

I was making fair contact, but spraying it all over the place. A tight back was no help. This course was in really good condition, almost too soft in places. the rough was punishing and the greens were quick. some were a bit bumpy, but overall good summer conditions. Ice towel from the cart woman and fully stocked cooler on the cart was very welcome.

Enough blabbing.....I thought that i played worse than Friday given my hook/slice/top rinse/lather/repeat off the tee. The desert club came into play today. I was able to use it and advance a ball instead of having to take a penalty. I took enough of those anyway. However once I added it all up.....I shot a 50 on the front, 48 on the back! with 35 putts. My chipping was a highlight today. I'm really starting to get some feel from my 58 deg wedge. and only two 3 putts was very nice improvement. Here's two shots from the course of the Superstition mountains, and the namesake Dinosaur mtn in the back of the par 3.

Nice looking course. I was kind of disappointed there were no actual dinosaurs, though. Suppose the gila monsters will have to do.

Hamfist;n8890545 said:
So, you're going to game a thriver, a thrive-wood, and then something. Five-wood head on a 7-wood shaft is the logical step.

I'm thinking - if it goes well - thriver at around 10/11°, free at about 14/15°, and then either the Heinz (57) wood, or the 2h - both would be around 17/18° - I like the 2h option as a) I hit it well already, b) it wouldn't cost anything, and c) also be slightly less...bodysnatcher-y.

I did, however, see if my 5w head would fit onto the 2h shaft. Spoiler - it doesn't. It was more a process of elimination to be honest - I do like the hybrids as they come.

Last edited:
Another nice weekend in terms of weather, and a couple of rounds of golf in the heat was tiring again

Saturday was a round with Jen, Andrew and his wife and I felt like I played terrible, but I finished with a round of 84 and there was also a birdie during the round
Sunday was a competition at my home club and I managed a round of 82, finished 9th overall (out of almost 100 players), missed an eagle putt but tapped in for birdie and lost a ball on the 13th when it hit a tree and we couldn't find it

This weekend there is a mixed trophy competition that I am playing in with Jen, so hopefully I can keep things going

Morning all.

Got my first round in for 4 weeks yesterday which was also my first time playing with an official handicap (21). Having a number to go off made a massive difference in helping with course management on the tougher holes. Ended +18 for an 89 and nothing worse than a double on the card. Think that's the first time under 90 since I've been back playing.

Ghost21;n8891239 said:
Morning all.

Got my first round in for 4 weeks yesterday which was also my first time playing with an official handicap (21). Having a number to go off made a massive difference in helping with course management on the tougher holes. Ended +18 for an 89 and nothing worse than a double on the card. Think that's the first time under 90 since I've been back playing.

Good darts :good:

thommo.sx;n8890596 said:
I'm thinking - if it goes well - thriver at around 10/11°, free at about 14/15°, and then either the Heinz (57) wood, or the 2h - both would be around 17/18° - I like the 2h option as a) I hit it well already, b) it wouldn't cost anything, and c) also be slightly less...bodysnatcher-y.

I did, however, see if my 5w head would fit onto the 2h shaft. Spoiler - it doesn't. It was more a process of elimination to be honest - I do like the hybrids as they come.

Sounds like the question has been answered. Game the setup and game it well, my friend.

TheDoctor;n8891233 said:
Another nice weekend in terms of weather, and a couple of rounds of golf in the heat was tiring again

Saturday was a round with Jen, Andrew and his wife and I felt like I played terrible, but I finished with a round of 84 and there was also a birdie during the round
Sunday was a competition at my home club and I managed a round of 82, finished 9th overall (out of almost 100 players), missed an eagle putt but tapped in for birdie and lost a ball on the 13th when it hit a tree and we couldn't find it

This weekend there is a mixed trophy competition that I am playing in with Jen, so hopefully I can keep things going

sounds like a pretty good weekend for you. right in line with your cap, no?

Ghost21;n8891239 said:
Morning all.

That is great!! Keep at it.

Hamfist;n8891454 said:
sounds like a pretty good weekend for you. right in line with your cap, no?

Yup, 1 over my handicap on Saturday and 1 under it on Sunday

Sunday could have been a few shots better as I managed to lose a ball on the 13th hole when my tee shot hit a tree and none of us saw where it went, so after hitting 3 off the tee I almost made a 5 but had to settle for a double-bogey 6

Ghost21;n8891239 said:
Morning all.

Well done!!

Played the same course two weeks in a row and actually found some consistency! 94 a week ago and 95 last sunday! Missed Birdie by inches but had 3 pars in a row!

My usual fatigue set in around the 11th hole and I started losing accuracy on my driving, chunking wedge shots and missreading putts.

all in all though, very enjoyable rounds for me. (especially cause I beat my partner by 16 strokes!)

The potential for me to play golf this year is looking good. My follow up MRI yesterday continues to show clear and infection free around my prosthetic hip and my blood results continue to trend positively. I’m still on heavy IV therapy, but it’s beating the staph infection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Golf Dawg;n8891939 said:
The potential for me to play golf this year is looking good. My follow up MRI yesterday continues to show clear and infection free around my prosthetic hip and my blood results continue to trend positively. I’m still on heavy IV therapy, but it’s beating the staph infection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is awesome news and so glad to hear it.

Ghost21;n8891239 said:
Morning all.

Nice! That was my goal for this year & I still haven't done it.

Back