Rule Question re: advice between players

millsan1

I've figured this game out! Oh wait, no I haven't
Reaction score
Handicap
14?
I know it is against the rules to give advice.

But a situation came up in a tournament this past weekend, and there was a civil discussion around the topic that did not reach resolution.

Basic scenario:

Par 3, with a big drop off.

Player A hit his tee shot.

Player B asked "What club did you use? How far do you normally hit that club?"

Player C took umbrage with that and said it constituted advice.

I took the stance it did not constitute advice, as Player A was not telling Player B what or how to hit, and Player B did not ask advice on what to hit.

But nothing prevents you from "taking a peek" before that person hits. Look in the bag & see what's missing, etc.

mancest;n8876719 said:
This would be a breach, you cannot ask what club a person hit before you hit:

https://www.liveabout.com/advice-and-golf-rules-1561364

Scroll down for this nugget:
  • You cannot ask a golfer what club she/he used before you've played your stroke.

I stand corrected. Thanks for the quick reply. I figured this would become a drawn out, everyone has a different opinion thing.

If that guy was so concerned, I would say he is a bit anal about things. Yes it is against the rules, but really.

Sounds like you got your answer but here is the definition of "advice" from the USGA:
Any verbal comment or action (such as showing what club was just used to make a stroke) that is intended to influence a player in:
  • Choosing a club,
  • Making a stroke, or
  • Deciding how to play during a hole or round.
But advice does not include public information, such as:

golfinnut;n8876727 said:
But nothing prevents you from "taking a peek" before that person hits. Look in the bag & see what's missing, etc.

Just make sure you don't touch any of his equipment, lol.
During a round, a player must not:
  • Give advice to anyone in the competition who is playing on the course,
  • Ask anyone for advice, other than the player’s caddie, or
  • Touch another player’s equipment to learn information that would be advice if given by or asked of the other player (such as touching the other player’s clubs or bag to see what club is being used).

millsan1;n8876728 said:
I stand corrected. Thanks for the quick reply. I figured this would become a drawn out, everyone has a different opinion thing.

In a casual round I don't care, but during a match play event I had a guy do this on a par 3. He was kicking my butt so I just informed him as we walked to the green that it was a breach and I would advise him against doing it in future matches as others would likely call him on it.

Basically you can ask/give a yardage because that is something that anyone can determine on their own, but you cannot ask what something is playing, effect of wind/etc or what club is being hit.

millsan1;n8876714 said:
I know it is against the rules to give advice.

But a situation came up in a tournament this past weekend, and there was a civil discussion around the topic that did not reach resolution.

Basic scenario:

Par 3, with a big drop off.

Player A hit his tee shot.

Player B asked "What club did you use? How far do you normally hit that club?"

Player C took umbrage with that and said it constituted advice.

I took the stance it did not constitute advice, as Player A was not telling Player B what or how to hit, and Player B did not ask advice on what to hit.

It's a weird rule, but it makes sense.

A quick look at the bag or his club selection is not against the rules, however.

Funny side note to the rule, you can't ask what someone hit, but you can offer the information.

A buddy that I went to HS with played college golf. The school I was at was hosting a big tournament so I went out to watch and walk with him. On a longer par-3 with a crosswind (really tough hole in the conditions) he sticks a really good shot on the green. I look up at him, and he says to me in a clear voice "I hit a 6". I knew what he hit, was standing near his bag and played with him dozens of time and know his game. None of the other guys hit the green. As we are walking up to the green he said it was just something guys do sometimes to get in the heads on a tougher shot.

StLCardsFan;n8876743 said:
Funny side note to the rule, you can't ask what someone hit, but you can offer the information.

A buddy that I went to HS with played college golf. The school I was at was hosting a big tournament so I went out to watch and walk with him. On a longer par-3 with a crosswind (really tough hole in the conditions) he sticks a really good shot on the green. I look up at him, and he says to me in a clear voice "I hit a 6". I knew what he hit, was standing near his bag and played with him dozens of time and know his game. None of the other guys hit the green. As we are walking up to the green he said it was just something guys do sometimes to get in the heads on a tougher shot.

If I read the rules correctly, and he did hit a 6, he is OK, but if he didn't hit a 6, that is a breach.

Weird game this golf.

Snickerdog;n8876731 said:
If that guy was so concerned, I would say he is a bit anal about things. Yes it is against the rules, but really.

Yeah, we all kinda agreeed on that one. While it is tournament golf, it is not cut throat, as we all equally suck. We help each other look for balls, give each other pep talks, etc.

Funny thing is, the guy who was most concerned about it shot a lot more than everyone else. But it is a rule, and one I will not be violating any time soon.

I do try my best to abide by all the rules during tournament rounds.

Is this really true? See my post above where the USGA specifically states you cannot give advice to another player where advice is specifically defined as:
Any verbal comment or action (such as showing what club was just used to make a stroke) that is intended to influence a player in:
  • Choosing a club,
  • Making a stroke, or

The one that gets me is the dude who doesn’t have a laser constantly asking for yardage. If we are are close together in a fairway sure... but if I’m 35 yards in front of you and to the right buy yourself a rangefinder. I’m not walking back to help you.

Totally off topic but kind of reminds of the advice thing, especially on a par 3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MagicSpell;n8876762 said:
Is this really true? See my post above where the USGA specifically states you cannot give advice to another player where advice is specifically defined as:
  • Choosing a club,
  • Making a stroke, or

Pretty sure you are correct, it is why I have heard of both the people asking and replying to a question as getting penalized.

By the letter of the law. it is a penalty. Only time I ever saw it called when I was playing was in a Junior High match about 40 years ago.

Absolutely, unquestionably, undeniably a breach of the rules. You cannot ask a player what club they hit.

That's not true. You cannot give advice to a player at ANY time during the round. Rule 10-2 does not define advice as being only relevant, and thus a breach, when given prior to the shot. The info that "I hit a 6" could still be relevant on a future shot that the other play may hit. For example, the other player gets to his ball and discovers it is OB. He must now walk back and re-tee....with info supplied to him by his competitor.

millsan1;n8876759 said:
Yeah, we all kinda agreeed on that one. While it is tournament golf, it is not cut throat, as we all equally suck. We help each other look for balls, give each other pep talks, etc.

Funny thing is, the guy who was most concerned about it shot a lot more than everyone else. But it is a rule, and one I will not be violating any time soon.

I do try my best to abide by all the rules during tournament rounds.

Yeah in a tournament that is a big no no. Even in a not crazy competitive USGA type thing it shouldn't be done.

Back