Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it just my Garmin watch that sucks?

I have a Garmin G60.

I do like a lot of the features, but one thing that I have noticed lately is yardages can be iffy and the distance it says I hit my shots is off as well.

I'll give an example:

The watch may say I am 145 to the center of the green. I pull out my 7 Iron, hit it clean and pop, right on the middle of the green.

I then travel up to the green, and at the center the watch will indicate i hit it 155.

So something is amiss, either the distance to the green, or the distance reported.

This has happened a lot lately. I am thinking it is the distance reported, but one way or the other it is annoying.

I have had several instance where I was tryign to lay up to a certain number, and because of this 10+_ yard discrepancy, I have had bad results, either way long or way short.

I will remedy this with a range finder at some point, but wondering if others are having the same type problems?
    Always remember, the same country that invented golf and called it a game, invented bag pipes and called it music.

WITB:

Driver and FW:
    Cobra F9 10.5, 45", Fujikura Vista Pro 55, R, Jumbo Pure
    XR16 5 Wood, Fujikura Vista Pro 55, R, Jumbo Pure

Hybrids:
    Big Bertha 4H, Mamiya Recoil ES, 460, F3, R, Jumbo Pure
    Big Bertha 5H, Mamiya Recoil ES, 460, F3, R, Jumbo Pure
    Big Bertha 6H, Mamiya Recoil ES, 460, F3, R, Jumbo Pure

Irons:
    Ping G30, 6I, Nippon NS Pro Zelos 7, R, Jumbo Pure
    Ping G30, 7I, Nippon NS Pro Zelos 7, R, Jumbo Pure
    Ping G30, 8I, Nippon NS Pro Zelos 7, R, Jumbo Pure
    Ping G30, 9I, Nippon NS Pro Zelos 7, R, Jumbo Pure

Wedges:
    Ping G30, PW, Nippon NS Pro Zelos 7, R, Jumbo Pure
    Vokey VM7, 50, Mid Bounce, Jumbo Pure
    Cleveland RTX4, 56, 2dot, True Temper Dynamic Gold, Jumbo Pure
    Cleveland RTX3, 60, 2dot, True Temper Dynamic Gold, Jumbo Pure

Putter:
    Odyssey, Red Ball, WinnPro 1.18 Grips

Ball:
    E-12 Soft, TP5 or ProV1

sigpic

My Garmin S6 watch was a complete travesty and an insult to anything ever worn on a wrist. The user interface was so clunky and non-intuitive that I was usually frustrated with it by the 2nd green. Battery sucked, yardages were off all the time etc etc.

Have a G80 now and am quite fond of it. No obvious accuracy issues yet and holds a charge for a long time.
    Epic Flash 9.5* [Tour AD-IZ 7x]
    Epic Flash Sub Zero 15* [Tour AD-IZ 7x]
    Big Bertha 3H & 4H [Tour AD-DI 95 S]
    Apex Pro '19 5-AW [DG Tour Issue 120 S-400]
    MD4 56* S-Grind & PM Grind 60* [DG Tour Issue 120 S-400]
    Odyssey Stroke Lab ONE
    Chrome Soft X

Comment

I played with my father in law this past May and he had a Garmin watch. I used The Grint app and my app was quite a bit more accurate than his watch. He wasn't pleased to say the least.
      The Artist formerly known as skinsscalper

WITB LEFTY
      Bag Go Lite Hybrid
      Driver GBB Epic 9 degree HZRDUS 55 (R-Flex)
      3 Wood GBB Epic 15 degree (R-Flex)
      5 Wood Big Bertha Steelhead Plus 18 degree (R-Flex)
      X 2 HOT PRO 3 Hybrid
      Irons Apex Forged 4-PW (R-Flex)
      Wedges CBX 50 and 54
      Putter Stroke Lab ONE
      Ball SuperSoft and Z-Star

Working on limiting my GRRRS in regulation

Comment

I have the vivoactive 3 and it seems to be pretty accurate when matched up to GPS on carts. I keep thinking of an upgrade but spending money when trying to save it makes it difficult
        WIT ( ORG 14) B:
        Driver: Big Bertha Fusion
        Fairway Woods: Epic 3W HZRDUS T800 65
        Irons: JPX-EZ 4->PW
        Wedge: RTX3-CB 50, 56, 60
        Putter: WhiteHot RX 2-Ball Fang Tank
        Ball: Q-Star Tour
        Vivoactive HR watch with Golf app

Comment

I have a Garmin Fenix 5. Got it before starting to play golf, but it just so happens to have that ability. It doesn't show much more than how far to the front/middle/back of green, but from what I have seen the numbers have been dead on. I will say that Garmins can be finicky in certain areas, maybe try a firmware reset or reach out to Garmin.
          In My Versa Stand Bag:

Driver: R7(10.5) w/ MAS2 Stiff Flex Shaft
          Fairway Woods: Tight Lies 3/Strong 5
          Irons: Maltby ST-i 5-GW
          Wedges: Harmonized 56*/60*
          Putter: Huntington Beach Soft #12
          Balls: Snell MTB-X

Next upgrades: Hybrids, possible shaft flex change.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyTee View Post
            I have a Garmin Fenix 5. Got it before starting to play golf, but it just so happens to have that ability. It doesn't show much more than how far to the front/middle/back of green, but from what I have seen the numbers have been dead on. I will say that Garmins can be finicky in certain areas, maybe try a firmware reset or reach out to Garmin.
            I would say that this is probably accurate. When I played with my FIL he mentioned that he didn't have the problems at home (in Minnesota) with yardages that he was having when he visited here (in Arizona).
            The Artist formerly known as skinsscalper

WITB LEFTY
            Bag Go Lite Hybrid
            Driver GBB Epic 9 degree HZRDUS 55 (R-Flex)
            3 Wood GBB Epic 15 degree (R-Flex)
            5 Wood Big Bertha Steelhead Plus 18 degree (R-Flex)
            X 2 HOT PRO 3 Hybrid
            Irons Apex Forged 4-PW (R-Flex)
            Wedges CBX 50 and 54
            Putter Stroke Lab ONE
            Ball SuperSoft and Z-Star

Working on limiting my GRRRS in regulation

Comment

Not the watch but I happily played the Garmin G6 for a while. All it took was a few wonky yardages in relation to a playing partner's laser and I lost confidence. Bought a laser in short order.

Still have it, figured I'd use it for when my laser's line of sight was blocked. That's been of such little issue that I haven't used GPS in over a year now.
              Rogue Sub Zero 10.5* PRO 73
              Exotics EX9 17* Recoil 670
              Exotics EX9 22* Recoil 670
              Apex CF16 5-PW, SteelFiber i95
              FourteeN RM-22J 46*, 52*, 58*, RM-22 56* SteelFiber i95
              Directed Force Reno, 34"
              ​TP Red LDP

Comment

Originally posted by rlefig View Post
                I have the vivoactive 3 and it seems to be pretty accurate when matched up to GPS on carts. I keep thinking of an upgrade but spending money when trying to save it makes it difficult
                I have one of these as well and found it to be pretty good. I still use it as my every day watch, but in the last year on the course, I've used the Shot Scope system. It's also pretty good, depending on the built-in course map. I have seen yardages wildly off once or twice, so I email the company and they have a course update finished usually the next day. It's usually due to course remodels, like the boulder oaks remodel in 2016.

I always carry a laser as well. Center, front and back of the green is great information to have at a glance, but a laser at the pin position usually decides between choking down on the long club to the center and going hard at the lower club to the center.

Whiskey
                Goal for 2019: Get my handicap below 15

Ping G Driver
                Ping G 5 Wood
                Ping G 3 Hybrid
                Ping G 4 Hybrid
                Ping i500 Forged Irons 5 iron - Gap Wedge
                Ping Tour Professional 56 degree sand wedge
                Ping Glide 2 60 degree lob wedge
                Odyssey White Hot Pro 9 putter
                OGIO Silencer Cart Bag

Comment

I have an older Garmin watch but haven't had any issues with yardages, and there have been many times when a few of us have had various watches and we have all been within a yard or so when looking at distances
                  On the few occasions I have played with people who have a rangefinder, they have tagged the pin and I have looked at my watch and never had big differences

I would suggest checking for any firmware / course updates in the first instance
                  Bag - Tech Lock

Driver - Epic Flash Subzero 9* - Evenflow Green 6.0
                  Fairway - Epic Flash Subzero 3W 15* - Evenflow Green 6.0

Utility - ZU85 18* - Recoil 95 F4

Irons - Z785 4i - 6i, Z-Forged 7i - PW NS Pro Modus3 Tour 105

Wedges - RTX4 50/54/58 Tour Satin - DG S400

Putter - O-Works 1W
                  Ball - Chrome Soft X

He who hesitates is not only lost, but miles from the next exit

Comment

In my area I've found pretty much every app, every GPS related item is iffy unless it is cloudless. Also GPS is dependent upon space weather forecasts. If we're getting auroras GPS accuracy will suck more than usual. I use a rangefinder. I've been thinking of picking up a slope rangefinder since I don't play competitive golf.
                    Julie

Driver: GBB Epic 11.5 Fubuki R 44.5
                    Hybrid: Bio Cell 20.5
                    Irons: F9 One Length 5-SW
                    Wedges: Smart Sole S and C
                    Putter: 40" Tank Versa 2-ball

Comment

This is year 3 with my G20 and I have had -0- issues other than a finicky charging cord.
                      Accuracy has been spot on with other GPS products, both cheap and expensive models and brands.

Comment

I played a tourney the other day and one of my partners had a Garmin watch and it was usually within 4 yards of Arccos all day.
                        Morgan Cup 2018 Team Paradise Cobra Ultralight Bag
                        F8 Tour Length Project X Even Flow Blue 65g 5.5
                        F8 3/4 Fairway Project XEven Flow Blue 65g 5.5
                        F8 3/4 Hybrid Recoil 780 ES SmacWrap
                        F8 2/3 UT Recoil 780 ES SmacWrap
                        King Forged TEC 5-GW Recoil 780 ES SmacWrap
                        King wedges 56Ver + 60Ver Recoil 95
                        Putter: SeeMore SI5
                        Ball: Calloway Chrome Soft Truvis.
                        Special thanks to
                        #THP #TeamParadise #MorganCup2018 #CPG
                        Proud Member of Team Paradise 2018 Morgan Cup Champions!!!

Comment

I'll update firmware.
                          Always remember, the same country that invented golf and called it a game, invented bag pipes and called it music.

WITB:

Driver and FW:
                          Cobra F9 10.5, 45", Fujikura Vista Pro 55, R, Jumbo Pure
                          XR16 5 Wood, Fujikura Vista Pro 55, R, Jumbo Pure

Hybrids:
                          Big Bertha 4H, Mamiya Recoil ES, 460, F3, R, Jumbo Pure
                          Big Bertha 5H, Mamiya Recoil ES, 460, F3, R, Jumbo Pure
                          Big Bertha 6H, Mamiya Recoil ES, 460, F3, R, Jumbo Pure

Irons:
                          Ping G30, 6I, Nippon NS Pro Zelos 7, R, Jumbo Pure
                          Ping G30, 7I, Nippon NS Pro Zelos 7, R, Jumbo Pure
                          Ping G30, 8I, Nippon NS Pro Zelos 7, R, Jumbo Pure
                          Ping G30, 9I, Nippon NS Pro Zelos 7, R, Jumbo Pure

Wedges:
                          Ping G30, PW, Nippon NS Pro Zelos 7, R, Jumbo Pure
                          Vokey VM7, 50, Mid Bounce, Jumbo Pure
                          Cleveland RTX4, 56, 2dot, True Temper Dynamic Gold, Jumbo Pure
                          Cleveland RTX3, 60, 2dot, True Temper Dynamic Gold, Jumbo Pure

Putter:
                          Odyssey, Red Ball, WinnPro 1.18 Grips

Ball:
                          E-12 Soft, TP5 or ProV1

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by millsan1 View Post
                            I have a Garmin G60.

I do like a lot of the features, but one thing that I have noticed lately is yardages can be iffy and the distance it says I hit my shots is off as well.

I'll give an example:

The watch may say I am 145 to the center of the green. I pull out my 7 Iron, hit it clean and pop, right on the middle of the green.

I then travel up to the green, and at the center the watch will indicate i hit it 155.

So something is amiss, either the distance to the green, or the distance reported.

This has happened a lot lately. I am thinking it is the distance reported, but one way or the other it is annoying.

I have had several instance where I was tryign to lay up to a certain number, and because of this 10+_ yard discrepancy, I have had bad results, either way long or way short.

I will remedy this with a range finder at some point, but wondering if others are having the same type problems?
                            By chance you Canadian? <<< Question the Garmin customer service guy asked me when I called with what sounds like the same issue :)

I had a similar issue (reading 10+ yards short...longer the distance, worse it got), it turned out I had my settings in the Garmin connect app set to metric (because that's how we role up here in the North) and the Garmin Golf app set to yards. Turns out the watch when in Golf mode, takes the setting from the Garmin Connect app and NOT the Garmin golf app (regardless of what you have the golf app set to). The difference in reading was the difference between a meter and a yard (3.281ft vs 3ft). With that said, the shot tracker in the Golf app, will then translate the shot out into yards, hence why your watch reads 145 yards yet shows you hit it 155.

Once I set my Garmin connect app settings to read Imperial units (not metric), all was fixed. I have the Vio Active 3, it now reads within a yard to what my buddies range finder reads and often is dead on with the course markings.

Comment

I've gone from a Garmin S4 to an Apple watch 4. The Garmin has been better than anything I've tried for golf. I've tried 5-6 different apps for the new watch, but nothing's as fast or accurate as the Garmin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Driver: EXS
                              Hybrids: XRail 20, 23
                              Irons:
                              JPX 919 HM/HM Pro 5-GW with Recoils
                              Wedges: PING Gorge 54,58
                              Putter:
                              7s O-Works

Comment

Above Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...