Posting scores after injury?

OldandStiff

AlsoBald
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
+
I've read a few semi-pertinent threads on here, but I'm looking for general feedback and opinions on this.

Short-ish story - I didn't play for a long time. I was a non-golf athlete, and then a contractor, and injuries from both kept me from wanting to swing a club. Then my wife accidentally stoked the flames of a long forgotten addiction, and I decided to give it a bit of a go this year. Didn't think I'd be near as good as I was in my youth with the damaged body, and was fine with that. Just liked playing again. Turns out you can actually play pretty well with a couple torn knee ligaments you don't have time to fix, a torn rotator and labrum you gave up on years ago, and a torso mostly held together ("stabilized") by a impressive array of medical hardware. Go figure. :confused2: Well enough even to get a little too excited and push it too far. So I tore a couple muscles and some of rib hardware underneath them. I had planned on playing some end of summer tournaments (obviously not happening now), and when I was talking to a friend recently I said something along the line of 'Well, maybe I'll get to post some mid 80's rounds and bring the handicap back up.' He replied with a sandbagging comment, and the conversation rolled on. It's been bugging me though.

I usually post any round where score is actually being kept. Right now I can manage about a 45 yd wedge without feeling like I've just been shot. If no infections or anything weird happens I'm hoping to be able to swing at around 80% in another month? Who knows though? Well there's no way I'll be able to play to my current handicap when I start playing again. So I feel like playing to my abilities at whatever percent I'm at is being honest so those scores should post. Takes longer for it to go up than down, and for all I know I might never get to really let it go again if I want to keep playing. That's what got me in trouble.

So, would you post all the scores? Post no scores until you feel like you're as healed as you're going to be, whatever that is? Just kick your friends *ss for implying you're not an honest golfer? Any and all feedback is welcome.

My question is why would you play if you aren't 100%? To answer your question, I wouldn't post anything until I am 100% or as close to it as I think I'm getting.

I just went thru hip surgery & didn't post anything until I was officially cleared by the doctor. Even after that, I still wasn't back to myself until about 4 rounds after I got clearance.

Because life is short, nothing's ever 100%, and I like it, I guess.

golfinnut;n8878613 said:
My question is why would you play if you aren't 100%? To answer your question, I wouldn't post anything until I am 100% or as close to it as I think I'm getting.

I just went thru hip surgery & didn't post anything until I was officially cleared by the doctor. Even after that, I still wasn't back to myself until about 4 rounds after I got clearance.

Three of which were played before receiving said clearance :rolleyes:

If you are dealing with an injury where a doctor says you shouldn’t play, and decide to play anyway, I feel like that is practice and not an official round. If you are doing rehab and know you are only at 50% and posting scores, I feel like you are knowingly inflating your handicap.

If it is just a new normal like arthritis or reduced strength and flexibility, those rounds count. I

I had a hand issue and the doctor gave me a cortisone shot and told me not to play for two weeks. Anything played until he cleared me wouldn’t count. Now that I am cleared, my hand doesn’t feel 100%, but I am more sore now than “injured.” I am posting my scores now as long as I can hold a club and make a good swing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OldandStiff;n8878633 said:
Because life is short, nothing's ever 100%, and I like it, I guess.

I thought you covered that pretty well with the addiction part, lol.

To answer your question, I wouldn’t post anything until I was playing close to 100%. I’d rather be called a vanity than a sandbagger. Based on my one THP event, I DEFINITELY won’t be called a sandbagger, lol.

Im kind of there myself. Due to a combination of illness and medication I went from an official 5.2 to a 9.6. But..... I’m a 9.6 that’s currently playing like a 15. I’m not going to go back and look but I think I’ve only posted 2 rounds this year. I couldn’t post my rounds at the THP event since we used combo tees and played in a format that wasn’t conducive to posting. The pre-event rounds were played under the same format. I guess I could have posted those for 9 hole scores but playing with a partner a lot of my play was dictated by his play when we were playing best ball. If he hit a great shot and was in good shape I’d be more aggressive. If he wasn’t I played it safe. Or at least attempted to, :).

So until things clear up on the medical front, I’m choosing not to post too. I’m also not really playing right now so there’s that too. I do feel like I let my partner down at the event, and I haven’t signed up for any event since then. Mainly due to family and medical issues. I don’t want to list 9.6 as my HC and play to a 15. Hopefully my medical issues will clear up soon and I’ll play closer to that 5.2. Then.... I’ll sign up for every single one of them as it was truly a once in a lifetime experience, I just felt bad because I felt I let my partner down.

So tldr version, I wouldn’t post until I was close to 100%. If my situation leads me to being a 15, then I’ll post them. I hope it clears up and I return to a 5 type level. Like I stated, I’d rather be called a vanity than a sandbagger and I still have the ability to be a 5, but I haven’t been able to sustain that level of play for a round in a long time. Hell, I dang near missed the ball a couple times at the THP Bridgestone Championship. Sorry Dan!

Edit my tldr is still too long. Sigh.

JohnSinVA;n8878665 said:
Three of which were played before receiving said clearance :rolleyes:

haha Busted.

So who does that benefit, not posting them? I'm just curious, and have enjoyed the responses. Like Smiter, you said medical issues took you from a 5.2 to a 9.6. You posted scores when you weren't 100% for that to happen I'm guessing. And then you stopped. Now you're a 15 and list as 9.6. You said you're not playing much, so not having scores to post is understandable, but do you feel like your handicap is still indicative of your current 'potential'? I mean, from reading some of the other threads about this, a guy can not post scores for almost 20 years and still be listed at his old handicap, but chances are he is NOT that handicap. If the goal is to make yourself feel good, great, but I was taught that it was to allow players of varying skill levels to compete fairly. Sandbagging obviously isn't fair to others, but vanity isn't really fair to you, is it? How many rounds does it take for you to admit you're a 15 and start posting them again, and how long until your handicap reflects that?

Just to be clear, I'll play as soon as I feel I'm able to hopefully not make anything worse, but I wouldn't just run out and play 18 and post a score. I'm sure I'll have to test things out and extend a bit on the range, and probably play a couple 9's. God willing, if I feel like I can get through 18 and that'll I'll do my best while playing it, how does that score not accurately represent my current or 'trending' potential? Like I said, I'm just curious.

oumagic;n8878675 said:
If it is just a new normal like arthritis or reduced strength and flexibility, those rounds count.

With the rest of my life I feel like every day I'm living in my new normal. That's the approach I started taking last year.. Tomorrow could be better, could be a lot worse. This thing that improved might stay that way. This thing that got worse might never go away. I accept both and get back to living. There will never be a 'cleared to golf' for me like you and golfinnut mentioned from any licensed medical professional. That's a pipe dream, and I don't smoke. Maybe that mentality is getting in the way of rational thinking on this though. I don't know... That's why I posted. Hoping you guys could sort me out on this!

My feeling is us older folks have to take whatever life gives us each day and just play, some days or even weeks are better than others but the alternative is just not playing and that is not a deal I want, I am on a forced layoff due to some minor surgery and even though it sucks as I wanted to go into the only event I have been in for quite awhile strong, the bright side is the sore back is getting a rest and sore knee feels better so maybe it will actually help.

Going to go to the gym tomorrow and just do cardio then go putt for while, work with what I have and smile about it.

I am not trying to argue, just giving my opinion. If someone breaks a leg and goes out and plays and posts scores knowing it is not a normal round, that is wrong. If someone is in an accident and loses their leg and goes out and plays after getting cleared and then posts scores, that is right.

In my opinion, playing with known torn muscles and posting scores is not “normal.”

To some of the other posters, and I am not trying to argue, either, what if you all of a sudden develop the shanks and you know it’s temporary. Should you then not post your scores? What about if you play in a 50 mph wind?

I would like to see the rule that says if you are under the weather or battling an injury, you are not allowed to post your score, as long as you play the best you can under the condition. I believe the OG poster should post his scores, as long as he is playing to the best of his ability while on the course that day. Handicaps don’t go up nearly as easily as they go down, anyway. JMO

I guess i never did answer the question in my ramble, but post when you want if you feel it is a score that represents you true game at the time. In the long run it all evens out.

Tenputt;n8878868 said:
To some of the other posters, and I am not trying to argue, either, what if you all of a sudden develop the shanks and you know it’s temporary. Should you then not post your scores? What about if you play in a 50 mph wind?

I would like to see the rule that says if you are under the weather or battling an injury, you are not allowed to post your score, as long as you play the best you can under the condition. I believe the OG poster should post his scores, as long as he is playing to the best of his ability while on the course that day. Handicaps don’t go up nearly as easily as they go down, anyway. JMO

The op said he is posting scores with torn muscles and he can only hit a half wedge without feeling like he was shot. To me, that goes beyond what others are saying. I never said you need to be at 100%, but posting scores with a known injury that seems debilitating just doesn’t seem right to me.

if jim54 was playing one handed because of surgery on his other hand, he shouldn’t be posting scores either.

This is a little bit helpful. 167F2F69-3F1E-4E3B-974D-FEAA17E7B34E.png

Attachments

• 167F2F69-3F1E-4E3B-974D-FEAA17E7B34E.png
    167F2F69-3F1E-4E3B-974D-FEAA17E7B34E.png
    63.2 KB · Views: 1
That proves my point. You shouldn’t be recovering from a major injury and posting scores like they are normal rounds. If it is normal to hit a 45 yard wedge while feeling like you were shot, post away.

I knew this thread was a trap. I need to stick to less controversial topics...

OldandStiff;n8878778 said:
With the rest of my life I feel like every day I'm living in my new normal. That's the approach I started taking last year.. Tomorrow could be better, could be a lot worse. This thing that improved might stay that way. This thing that got worse might never go away. I accept both and get back to living. There will never be a 'cleared to golf' for me like you and golfinnut mentioned from any licensed medical professional. That's a pipe dream, and I don't smoke. Maybe that mentality is getting in the way of rational thinking on this though. I don't know... That's why I posted. Hoping you guys could sort me out on this!

I don't know what all the hubbub is regarding not posting unless you're "100%".

e. Unacceptable Scores

Scores made under the following conditions are not acceptable for handicap purposes and must not be entered in the player's scoring record:

(i) When fewer than seven holes are played;

(ii) When made on a golf course in an area in which an inactive season established by the Authorized Golf Association is in effect;

(iii) When, as a condition of the competition, the maximum number of clubs allowed is less than 14, or types of clubs are limited as, for example, in a competition that allows only iron clubs;

(iv) When scores are made on a course with no USGA Course Rating or Slope Rating;

(v) When a player uses non-conforming clubs, non-conforming balls, or non-conforming tees; or when a player incurs a second breach of Rule 14-3.

(vi) When a player plays alone;

(vii) When a player ignores one or more Rules of Golf and fails to post an adjusted hole score as required under Section 4-1 and 4-2, or fails to record the appropriate penalty for a breach of rule. For example, if a player anchored the club while making a stroke during a round and did not record a penalty for doing so (See Rule 14-1b), the score would not have been played under the Rules of Golf and therefore would not be acceptable for handicap purposes.

I don't see anything in there about a health requirement. I'd say, if you played a round of golf IAW the RoG and IAW the Handicap Manual, then post it. If that means your handicap goes up (even temporarily), then so be it.

You can post them but a handicap committee should take all the scores off when you are healthy so you go right back to the cap you were before.

For the record, I haven't read anything that sounded argumentative. I hope no one has taken anything personally. I asked for feedback. I didn't expect all the same opinions.

I know about the modified handicap system, tenputt. Doesn't seem to really apply outside of tournament play, but thanks.

I did say that I wouldn't be posting scores in my current condition, oumagic. I mean, I really can't swing right now and it would be stupid to try. Just that I'm sure I'll be playing again before I'm back to where I was, and may never even get there. Who really knows. I do appreciate the responses.

OldandStiff;n8878905 said:
For the record, I haven't read anything that sounded argumentative. I hope no one has taken anything personally. I asked for feedback. I didn't expect all the same opinions.

I know about the modified handicap system, tenputt. Doesn't seem to really apply outside of tournament play, but thanks.

I did say that I wouldn't be posting scores in my current condition, oumagic. I mean, I really can't swing right now and it would be stupid to try. Just that I'm sure I'll be playing again before I'm back to where I was, and may never even get there. Who really knows. I do appreciate the responses.

Just reading your first post, I could see your buddie’s perspective. You don’t need to be 100%; I am not sure I have ever played a round where I said to myself, “I am 100% today”

I am only 46 but I seem like every round I am sore or less than great. I play hungover, sick, sore, hungry, tired, etc. and I will post scores. But if you are truly injured, don’t post is all I was getting at. And definitely don’t brag to your buddy that the torn cartilage in your rib cage is going to drive up your handicap ;)

If I'm well enough to play and playing under the Rules of Golf I post. Not only is that what you are supposed to do, but it also makes sense. Lots of things affect our performance in an individual round. Weather, course conditions, familiarity with the course, our physical and emotional state, pressure, and many other things impact our performance. Our handicap is over a rolling 20 most recent rounds and only half those scores have any impact on our handicap. So a short-term injury really isn't going to change your handicap, while a longer-term injury will and should as your potential performance with that injury has changed.

I'm thankful in that I don't have a list of physical ailments but I do have a terrible lower back and have endured 9 herniations.

Stubborn as a mule, I just suffered through them until getting my very first epidural shots this February.

This time (although quicker in coming back to a sound swing), as always, I wait until I'm playing what I would call competitive golf relative to my ability.

I start back at the white tees and once I can break 80 (sure as heck doesn't mean that I will as the norm at that point, though), I'll post.

Now, that's what's comfortable for ME. I'd have no issue if someone were posting sooner. Many of my buddies actually say that I wait too long and I should post once I'm swinging close to freely.

All this said, I personally refuse to play in formal handicapped events, so it really doesn't matter. And when giving or taking strokes with friends, it's always with an honest assessment of my current ability regardless what my present index is. Same for them when injured.

I only keep an index so as to measure my own progress. When I'm 75% or so back physically, I can still shoot low scores with a conservative approach. At that point, I feel comfortable posting again.

OldandStiff;n8878767 said:
haha Busted.

So who does that benefit, not posting them? I'm just curious, and have enjoyed the responses. Like Smiter, you said medical issues took you from a 5.2 to a 9.6. You posted scores when you weren't 100% for that to happen I'm guessing. And then you stopped. Now you're a 15 and list as 9.6. You said you're not playing much, so not having scores to post is understandable, but do you feel like your handicap is still indicative of your current 'potential'? I mean, from reading some of the other threads about this, a guy can not post scores for almost 20 years and still be listed at his old handicap, but chances are he is NOT that handicap. If the goal is to make yourself feel good, great, but I was taught that it was to allow players of varying skill levels to compete fairly. Sandbagging obviously isn't fair to others, but vanity isn't really fair to you, is it? How many rounds does it take for you to admit you're a 15 and start posting them again, and how long until your handicap reflects that?

Just to be clear, I'll play as soon as I feel I'm able to hopefully not make anything worse, but I wouldn't just run out and play 18 and post a score. I'm sure I'll have to test things out and extend a bit on the range, and probably play a couple 9's. God willing, if I feel like I can get through 18 and that'll I'll do my best while playing it, how does that score not accurately represent my current or 'trending' potential? Like I said, I'm just curious.

In my particular case I was ill and didn’t know it for quite a while. I just thought I was going through a major slump, so I still posted them. Once I found out I was ill, which was right after I was selected for the THP Bridgestone Championship, it made a lot more sense on why I hadn’t been playing well. Then the medicine regime started and I went from playing like a 10 to playing like a 15. I’ll still hit some shots where you would think I was a scratch golfer, but I’ll also almost miss the ball every now and then.

My coordination is massively impacted, particularly now with the medicine I’m on to fight this. It impacts my memory and in large part my decision making process. The good news is I don’t really feel terrible, but i can’t golf very well right now. As such it would be wrong of me (IMO) to post scores knowing that it’s not indicative of my true skill level. If it never settles down and I end up as a true 15 (or more), I’ll post them again. But I would expect to return to close to normal in the 5ish range once I kick this illnesses ass.

If I was playing a lot, and it really mattered, I’d post and let it naturally correct based on my skill level at whatever time. I’d played about 5 rounds this year prior to the THP event. A couple of them were upper 70’s. A couple were in the low 90’s. So I felt going into the event that being right around a ten was about right. It also was what my HC was correctly listed at at 9.6. I was also put on a new medicine right before the event and that one greatly impacted my ability to play decently (and even stay awake, but I’ve since adjusted more to it). The only reason I established a HC in the first place was if I got into an event on here. The rest of my rounds are played casually with family and friends. HC means nothing then when I’m the only one that even has one with the exception of my middle son.

If were playing for a dollar or an ice cream cone after the round, we’ll negotiate strokes based on how everyone is currently playing. Right now I am playing heads up with my middle son, I’ll give dad 5 and my oldest boy 15. If Mr Tate comes along we’ll give him 20. Mid summer last year everyone got 5-10 more strokes from me.

So I get your point if I was playing in anything that used HC. Since I don’t (with the exception of the THP event that I got in right around the time I found out I was ill), I don’t really care. I’m not entering any more events here until this either clears up or it doesn’t and I’m actually a 15, at which point I’ll have played enough and posted enough to let it reflect my abilities as they currently are. I hadn’t played enough due to coaching baseball to really have any idea of what I was other than what my HC indicated at 9.6. Which was my true HC when I arrived at the event.

Im playing today for the first time since the event (provided it doesn’t rain). I’ll probably play like a 15, but who knows? I won’t post it no matter how it turns out as like you, I don’t feel right posting when I’m not 100%. It will matter very little anyways as I’m not using my HC for a darn thing ATM...

Well I've hit the range a couple times and played my first 9 tonight. I can only swing about 75% (effort, I don't know about speed %) safely, so I moved up a couple tees trying to avoid certain shots. Strong ground contact scares me right now anyway, but I wanted to avoid long iron shots. The balance and weight of them sends off alarm bells in my torso. The only two shots that really noticeably hurt were mid iron shots I swung a little too 'normally' on. It's so foreign to try to avoid a the ground. Even with precautions like that and not swinging very hard it seems like the score posting thing might be fairly moot. Shot -2 and definitely left a couple out there from rust. With the tee rating that's right at my normal handicap anyway. :confused2: Apparently this guy..

OldandStiff;n8878608 said:
there's no way I'll be able to play to my current handicap when I start playing again.

..has more to learn in this life.

Absolutely bizarre not hitting high shots with tons of spin, but really didn't seem to disrupt scoring much. It was actually kind of a lesson in what it really takes to go from good to great play. And gave me some hope for maintaining good play when I actually am old and even more stiff.

So anyway, I think I'll probably post the scores as they come. I don't think it will trend me too much in either direction, and I'll move back tees as I'm able. Don't think that will be very quick physically, but you never know, and I could see me itching to mentally. The 3/4 swing drivers tee shots have turned out to be really easy to place well. Too easy. That's been another interesting lesson, and something I could definitely see me using in the future under the right conditions. In fact, pretty much everything on the range and the course at this effort level has been dead straight (when wanting it to be). Kind of crazy how much irregularity that last 25% can add.

WMac19;n8878979 said:
When I'm 75% or so back physically, I can still shoot low scores with a conservative approach. At that point, I feel comfortable posting again.

Well I guess that's where I feel comfortable too.

Back