So I sent my F9 One Lengths to Cobra to get a lie adjustment....

InTheRough

Course Botanist
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 16.2
I sent them on Aug 5. Bend them from 2 degree upright to standard, I said. They received them Wednesday the 7th. As of the 15th, no clubs. So I called them on the 15th. "We finished that on the 8th," they said. "Can I get a tracking number?" I asked. "Hold on and I'll get it," they said. "Um, uh, can you hold for a couple minutes, I have to call another extension," they said. .... "Um, uh, can you hold again. I have to call another department," they said. .... "Um, uh... the person who handles that stuff isn't here today, and ... uh... we don't know where your clubs are. We'll have to do some tracing," they said.

"If they're not here by Friday we have a problem," I said. Friday and Saturday have come and gone as far as FedEx and UPS are concerned. No clubs.

So I took my old set down to the golf shop to see if they could be bent. Nope. Too old plus it's $10 per club. Basically at this time it looks like Cobra will have to build me a new set worth $1029.00.

While I was at the golf shop I tried out some other irons... and tried out the Ricky Fowler CB/MB Forged Irons just to see if I could even hit the things given that the heads on them are so small. And lo and behold "yes." In fact, as good as anything I've ever swung. The deal is that with the weaker lofts they don't go as far and of course the set was standard length. They'd be $230 more for the 4 - GW. I can even hit the 4 iron.

One thing I noticed was how unforgiving they were. I have a tendency to early extend and they punished me for it. I have to stay in posture to hit them. When I stayed in posture I hit them very well. 7 iron carry 145 (but it's 34 degrees loft vs 29.5), 4 iron carry 175 yds. My 5 hybrid is 185-190 and 4H is about 200-210. I only carry up to a 6 iron in the F9s because of the strong lofts. This puts me in a quandry. If they have to build a new set, do I really want the F9s with the strong lofts or do I want the MB/CB set for better distance control and just pay an extra $230 for the set? Plus of course they look badass.

Thoughts? Distance and forgiveness OR control and the sjoeries will be emphasized a bit more.

Ugh, I hate when crap like this happens. Hopefully your clubs (or your new clubs) show up ASAP.

Sucks about the clubs.
I went down the path of swinging clubs that where beyond my ability, that being said it made me a better ball striker. It goes back to play what you like not what someone thinks you need.

Snickerdog;n8879518 said:
Sucks about the clubs.
I went down the path of swinging clubs that where beyond my ability, that being said it made me a better ball striker. It goes back to play what you like not what someone thinks you need.

I agree. I played my DCI 981s since 2002. People would comment on how old they where and I should not be playing that iron because it is so unforgiving, but I liked them and hit them well after swinging them for so many years. I am switching to apex irons but people said no, you are a high handicapper. So, I like the look and feel. They are forged game improvement irons. Pretty excited about it actually. People forget that there was a time when bogey golfers could only play muscle backed blades and they where still bogey golfers. Hit what you feel comfortable with, I cannot wait to hit my apex irons when they arrive next week. They are not beyond your skills if you practice enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A thought. If they did lose the clubs, and they are going to provide another set, why not try to get both? (Or all four, as it were.) I speak of the F9 non-one lengths. Maybe the Max version. From what I’ve read, they are very forgiving, and have a less strong loft.

Hamfist;n8879632 said:
A thought. If they did lose the clubs, and they are going to provide another set, why not try to get both? (Or all four, as it were.) I speak of the F9 non-one lengths. Maybe the Max version. From what I’ve read, they are very forgiving, and have a less strong loft.

Money.... The F9s will be a free replacement. The CB/MBs would then be an add on $1256. If however, I ask to substitute the CB/MBs for the F9s I would only have to come up with $237 since the F9 set I had cost $1029.00. That's why I won't get both.

To be honest I'm a bit scared hitting into greens with the strong lofts. Which club do I hit? An 9 iron or a PW? Well I have 15 yds difference between clubs with the F9s. I find myself at that 7.5 yd distance so often and there are bunkers and then you have to hold the green, too. With the CB/MBs it's a 10 yd difference. I might be looking at hitting either an 8 iron or a 9 iron on that same hole and I'd go with the 8 iron because I wouldn't be afraid of overshooting it. But if I mishit I'm in the bunker.... If I don't it's hop and stop. If I go with the 9 in the F9s I could be chipping on from behind the green. The next thing is with the MB/CB set, would I really need a 54 wedge? Or could I get by without one? I think I could. The GW is 50*. I have a 58*. I probably can work the 50 in that set.

I played golf between 1968 and 1972. I had a set of Spalding Forged Blades.They were unforgiving as hell. I had a Persimmon Driver and 4 Wood. My irons were 2-9. I also had a Titleist Sand Wedge. And a Jack Nicklaus MacGregor Putter that I got from mailing in cereal box tops. That was my set. I was playing bogey golf with it. Those clubs were crap compared to the forged blades today. And balata balls you had to replace a couple times per round because they'd deform or you'd cut them with a mishit.... it you didn't lose them first. God I put so many smiles on them.

Kind of sounds like I made my decision, doesn't it? Cobra Black CB/MBs 4-GW Flow Set with KBS C-Taper Lite R 105g shaft, +1/2" length, Standard Lie, Cobra Connect Tour Velvet grips.

I’m glad could help you work through this tough time.

Based on what you said, I would go with the F9 replacements 11 times out of 10. it really sucks what happened to your clubs for sure and I hope it gets remedied soon.

I would wait to see the status of clubs before going down the road of replacements. I know that the unforgiving nature of certain clubs make them not as fun to play with as time goes on. Doesn’t mean you can’t play them, but it will definitely hurt during those days when you aren’t striking it very good.

I answered my own question. I went and rehit. I don't have the game. The ForgedTecs were a lot more forgiving and are more suited to my HC.

Instead I'll ask for the ForgedTec version. I think I'll stay with the one-length option. 5-GW in the UST Recoil shaft. The steel shaft got to me after a while. But I really liked the feel of the forged face.

I am with Molten. I would go with the F9s, not even giving it a second thought, particularly if I were not a single digit index. I have not heard of one person who has struggled to get them to stop on the greens. I am mid to low single digit handicap (depending on the time of the year) and if I could only have one set of the three main Cobra offerings (cb/mb, FTB or F9), I would go F9. They are some of the best irons I have ever played.

Tenputt;n8880228 said:
I am with Molten. I would go with the F9s, not even giving it a second thought, particularly if I were not a single digit index. I have not heard of one person who has struggled to get them to stop on the greens. I am mid to low single digit handicap (depending on the time of the year) and if I could only have one set of the three main Cobra offerings (cb/mb, FTB or F9), I would go F9. They are some of the best irons I have ever played.

The gap in forgiveness between the F9 and another cobra offering is pretty wide too. If I’m playing well, I could have the FTB in the bag. But those rounds are rare and the F9 just make golf more fun.

Tenputt;n8880228 said:

Well I'll take your advice on it. I'll just get a replacement exactly as I sent them. Except for the grip. I will go with the Connect Tour Velvet grip with +2 tape instead of the Crossline. And I'll stick with the stock graphite shaft.

InTheRough;n8880298 said:
Well I'll take your advice on it. I'll just get a replacement exactly as I sent them. Except for the grip. I will go with the Connect Tour Velvet grip with +2 tape instead of the Crossline. And I'll stick with the stock graphite shaft.

And the correct lie, don't forget.

You are over thinking the lofts with regard to hitting into greens. The lofts are part of a dynamic design. They are different because the overall design of the clubs is different. If the club has more weight (and/or other design features) that promotes high ball flight the lofts will be adjusted accordingly.

Also, in my experience the other Cobra irons are a lot less forgiving. I think you will be happy with the decision to stay with your original sticks.

This is music to my ears! The comparison between the CB/MB and the F9 has fewer similarities than differences. The F9 just make golf more fun when you don’t have your A+ game.

good luck with the new (again) sticks

I truly believe you will be glad to have made this decision. I hope Cobra gets it straightened out soon. I have had nothing but great service from Cobra/Puma Golf.

Molten;n8879744 said:
Based on what you said, I would go with the F9 replacements 11 times out of 10. it really sucks what happened to your clubs for sure and I hope it gets remedied soon.

I'm with this guy 100%

And..... an update. Seems Cobra shipped them out last Friday. And.... they arrived last Monday.... Somewhere.... at an address that doesn't exist. So Cobra called FedEx and told them I hadn't received them. FedEx went to the unknown address this afternoon and showed up at my house to pick up the package and send it back to Cobra so they could reship. Imagine the look on the FedEx guy's face when I told him that I was the one who was supposed to get the package. I told him what it was and their value. So now FedEx is going to have to scour for it. Cobra said they'll replace the set if it doesn't get resolved.

InTheRough;n8881273 said:
And..... an update. Seems Cobra shipped them out last Friday. And.... they arrived last Monday.... Somewhere.... at an address that doesn't exist. So Cobra called FedEx and told them I hadn't received them. FedEx went to the unknown address this afternoon and showed up at my house to pick up the package and send it back to Cobra so they could reship. Imagine the look on the FedEx guy's face when I told him that I was the one who was supposed to get the package. I told him what it was and their value. So now FedEx is going to have to scour for it. Cobra said they'll replace the set if it doesn't get resolved.

Sounds like a SNAFU for Fed Ex. Hope you see some clubs of some sort soon.

How did they get the errant delivery address though? Or did FedEx drop it off at the wrong address even though they had yours?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

InTheRough;n8881273 said:

Twilight Zone stuff ITR. Hopefully they figure it all out ASAP for you. There is only so much summer. Speaking to greekelite's question as to 'how' FedEx screwed up the delivery address, it might be a tech glitch. I've been stuck in a similar no man's land for a few years, FedEx, UPS, all the others. I figured out why, when a golf purchase was supposedly delivered, (go figure). Started happening shortly after Google Maps came through and remapped our street and they misnamed our street it in their update. I figured that all out on the supposed delivery day and then I drove around town looking at all the addresses most similar to mine. and there was my golf box on some one else's porch. Since then I've become good friends with the couple 3 miles away at 1206 West 'XYZ' Road (I'm at the same zip code at 1206 East 'XYZ' Street). I now get some of their packages and they still sometimes get mine.

Daddio. I would be so pissed of that happened.

In my line of work we ship stuff all the time. FedEx does sometimes mess up, but it is pretty rare.

When they do misdeliver, they have GPS enabled trucks that can retrace where they have been and go back to specific location of deliveries.

Depending on whom/where they delivered to and how trustworthy they are, they can retrieve the package and get it to it's intended destination.

Hoping for a good resolution for InTheRough and Cobra. Sure hope they declared a value when they shipped. Lol!

Talk about can't catch a break! Cobra is good folk so it will get resolved but man, step it up a bit FedEx.

Back