What makes this game tough for YOU?

Consistency is my biggest issue. I can hit a great drive one shot, then either slice or hook the very next. I know when I rush things, it is really exaggerated. Worst is when I am playing solo, and a group tells me that I can play through. I always hit my worst shots of the day trying to get out of their way as quickly as possible.

I hit the range to warm up before every round, but I don't think I get anything out of it really. Just smacking shots with no specific goal in mind.

That space between my ears is what makes this game tough for me.

Not having the time or resources to practice is key for me as well. I didn't start the game until about my mid-20's and didn't take it seriously until about 4 years ago so I'm well behind the curve in terms of fundamentals. Now I'm in my mid-30's and only have so much time (and money!) to dedicate to the game. I've done some research into it and it seems like most scratch golfers (with exceptions, of course) dedicate anywhere from 1-4 hours a day of concentrated practice, usually under the guidance of a coach. This alone is not something I can swing in terms of expense or availability and I haven't even factored in the actual rounds yet!

I am looking forward to seeing how good I can get on a weekly diet of 1.5 hours of short game practice, 50 range balls, and 27 holes of golf (9 hole mid-week league and a round of casual but honest golf). It's about as much work as I can get in without leaving my job, my home, and my family :confused2:

Boston_golfer;n8880308 said:
What's keeping you from being the golfer you know you could be?

That's simple.

My job. If my wife made enough to support us and I didn't have to work, you'd see me on the Sr Tour in 7 years. Unfortunately, that's not likely any time soon.

KingVeo;n8880654 said:
Not having the time or resources to practice is key for me as well. I didn't start the game until about my mid-20's and didn't take it seriously until about 4 years ago so I'm well behind the curve in terms of fundamentals. Now I'm in my mid-30's and only have so much time (and money!) to dedicate to the game. I've done some research into it and it seems like most scratch golfers (with exceptions, of course) dedicate anywhere from 1-4 hours a day of concentrated practice, usually under the guidance of a coach. This alone is not something I can swing in terms of expense or availability and I haven't even factored in the actual rounds yet!

I am looking forward to seeing how good I can get on a weekly diet of 1.5 hours of short game practice, 50 range balls, and 27 holes of golf (9 hole mid-week league and a round of casual but honest golf). It's about as much work as I can get in without leaving my job, my home, and my family :confused2:

I'm in a similar situation: took up the game late, and only started getting serious in my mid-30s. My challenge is practice time (even less than yours, sadly), and more concretely, my mid-range game. I've gotten decent off the tee (not too long yet, not great on FIRs yet, but I get off the tee most times). But then I'm between 200-150 yards out, and too often duff my approach shots, even from the fairway. Part of it is probably mental -- I know I can go after the ball with the driver, but with a 7i in hand and a green in reaching distance, I hesitate on my downswing.

jdtox;n8880606 said:
Why do you think age is a factor? I've seen plenty of guys your age and older put up some low numbers. You play pretty darn well and I really don't think your age has anything to do with scoring when your a good ball striker. I do agree about the wedges. Missing the green from 100 and in is super frustrating

Age is a factor, in that it affects consistency. I notice my ball speed fluctuates more now than it used to. Some days I can just feel that my body is not working that day. The swing does not feel fluid and strong sometimes. I am actually playing well right now. My last two 18 hole rounds I shot 73 and 73, but age does affect flexibility and I have to work a lot harder now to maintain fitness than I used to.

This is an interesting one. I have played more this year than years past but still only have played 6 rounds (one was a scramble). I would say consistency is the biggest issue. Some days I am driving it great but can't hit the green. Other times my short game is on fire. I am guessing most of it comes down to lack of playing and practicing.

Uneven lies. My ball-striking might be good, but my decision making probably isn't.

Inconsistency in general is my biggest issue. But I am beginning to think I just have too slow a swing speed to ever improve significantly.

I will continue to work at it, but I just don’t have the distance. And at my age it’s only going to get worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me it's just that I'm always fighting my swing. My body does not naturally want to move the way I want it to so my "good swing" has never felt natural or ingrained. Every time I grab a club I need to focus on moving the right way and not moving the natural way.
I have varying levels of success from day to day and it's a grind when it doesn't go well. This year alone I've shot a Tournament 72, and I've shot a Tournament 98.

Practice time and feeling guilty being away from my wife and kids for 4-5 hours on the weekend. It's tough to be successful these days when I don't have the time to practice and when I am playing I feel guilty.

An over the top swing.

KEV;n8880828 said:
Practice time and feeling guilty being away from my wife and kids for 4-5 hours on the weekend. It's tough to be successful these days when I don't have the time to practice and when I am playing I feel guilty.

This feeling of guilt is a real thing. I'm going to finish out this season since I'm committed, but next year I think I'm going to drop out of my golf commitments like League and Sat morning skins. Hopefully I can still get out when it works for my family, but being committed to a schedule is not ideal with little ones at home.

Reactions: KEV
Over the past few years my game has definitely been on the decline. My irons shots have flattened out, and all of my shots have lost distance. Age, arthritis in my knees and back, spinal surgery, and losing a bit of flexibility have all negatively affected my game. But its still enjoyable to get out and play.

Totally relate to this Thread. I can never seem to put it together for more than a few holes. When one thing is working, the other aspects go for Shyte!

no idea why.... is what it is. So, I took my own advice and that is if you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly :)

ArmyGolf;n8880863 said:
This feeling of guilt is a real thing. I'm going to finish out this season since I'm committed, but next year I think I'm going to drop out of my golf commitments like League and Sat morning skins. Hopefully I can still get out when it works for my family, but being committed to a schedule is not ideal with little ones at home.

That's kind of where I'm at. The nice thing about our league is that you don't have to be there every week so I just play when I can. Weekend rounds are usually as early as possible so I can get home but I still miss having a nice breakfast with the family.

I tend fall back to some old habits in between lessons. I have to stay on the practice and try and repeat what was working well at the lessons. It is a frustrating thing sometimes but i enjoy all aspects of it. I need to learn to get the blow up holes under control also. It seems when a hole goes bad it happens quick lol!

Great topic.

As far as my game... penalties brought about by intermittent poor contact and club face control.

As far as my enjoyment... worrying about the stuff above instead of just enjoying the poor golf I'm lucky enough to play in the first place.

The internet - I read or see some tip and I think it gets into my head.

Just physical limitations and an inability to accept them mentally.

I'm lucky in that I now have plenty of time to devote to practice and play, but despite that, this topic still rings very true for me. I've been on a couple real good rolls this season where most of my game was clicking and hit new handicap lows when I was on. I just ended one of those stretches and 'that golfer' was no where to be found my last 3 rounds. Had some good practice sessions since the funk started too. A very good one last night and great warm up this morning getting ready for a tourney at one of my favorite tracks today (Buffalo Ridge) But I played like garbage again. I 'knew' I was going to have a good tourney but I soon lost all confidence off the tee (if you can't hit those massive fairways - it's BAD) and a crap ton of three putt bogies ultimately sealed complete demoralization.

I wish I knew all the hows and whys I can be so inconsistent but I've never solved that mystery. I thought it was time back when I didn't have much of it, but now I know that was just my excuse.

Golf is so damn hard because the ball just sits there and gives you time to think.

For me, getting "in the zone" is a lot harder on the golf course than any other sport I've played.

And STAYING in "the zone" is exponentially harder than getting there on a golf course.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Repetition. Only play once a month if I'm lucky. No time due to work and life.

Back