Skills Deteriorating: How to Fix?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
This will be a lengthy post, but more cathartic than anything. 10 years ago I was playing to just around a 6 handicap and loving the game. 8 years ago, it was .9 and the best I had been to date. Slowly age, injuries and time allotment have eroded the game to where it is and the last couple of years have been tough. Currently playing to between a 9 and 10 handicap and it could go either way any time out. The last few rounds have been with THPers, so the fun has been in place, but the game is a shell of what it used to be.

Limited to 10 rounds or so each of the last few years it has made me cherish my time on the course. I do so only with THPers at THP Events it appears and luckily at some pretty special places.

My question to THPers who have gone through something similar is really twofold.

1. How do you cope with the deteriorating skills compared to where they were just a few years ago? Do you enjoy the game the same?

2. Have you found ways to get them back without marring up your current schedule?

I have quite a bit of golf scheduled for later this year and next. Working on some absolutely ridiculous things for THPers for next year and I want to be able to take part in the joys of them. Seeing my local pro seems like a simple fix, but without the time to engrain the items taught, I am unsure that is the best avenue, rather than just working on my short game, where I made my mark previously to the point that it is not entirely detrimental like it is now.

So I turn to you, THPers for your guidance of those that have been through this before.

I don't have any helpful input, other than to say that I am just beginning this process of getting worse - and not having the time to work on things. For me it's just a new phase in life with 2 kids now. Where I used to be a staple at the range and short game area, now I'm just applying what little spare time I have to playing actual golf.

Your schedule and my schedule are drastically different. I don't have a great answer for you unfortunately as I think any drastic improvement is going to take time to invest in improving. I have gone through years in the past where I have struggled to come back after a long Winter layoff. The solution has always been to play more. This year, it didn't really click like it had in the past. I didn't see my game come back until I went and saw my local pro. It didn't take any major swing changes. Just a couple of simple thoughts that I needed to keep in mind. I wouldn't completely discount the idea of seeing a pro, at least for the sake of seeing what they say. You obviously don't have the time to make whole sale changes. But, if he could give you something that saves a few strokes a round, you could be doing yourself some major favors.

Or, something I did a few years ago was dedicate 10 minutes of my free time each evening to just swing my Orange Whip. I think by the time the season rolled around, my timing had improved greatly and I wasn't suffering from the same aches and pains as I did in years past. Something like that may keep your body in "golf mode" during the extended periods of time where you aren't playing.

Otherwise, I hate to see you sacrifice your own game to invest so much into making sure us THPers have it made in the shade. But, I am glad that you are passionate about it and appreciate all that you put into the community. I hope someone else can give you a better answer. But, I wish you luck.

I'm really interested in others responses because I'm going through similar. For me it's extremely frustrating to the point that my round yesterday I didn't really even enjoy. When I'm with my friends I can usually salvage my round by enjoying the company but yesterday playing with other people and losing a little money there was almost no fun.

I should be able to embrace the fact that I just don't have time like I used to to practice but I can't get my head around it.

My situation was a little different. I was an excellent amateur golfer until my early 20's when I essentially stopped playing. I started to play again last year when I turned 65. My struggles with consistency last year were due I think to trying to be too mechanical and technically "correct" with way too many swing thoughts in my head.

I realized my short game and putting were not up to par, so I tried to be "perfect" tee to green. I have had much more success this year by focusing solely on my alignment, posture, and take-away. Then after that I just hit the ball.

I hit range balls several days a week in the Spring after the course re-opens. During the season I have one basic putting practice routine I do religiously for about 15 minutes several days a week and I try to get some pitching and chipping practice in occasionally. I play 18 holes 4 or 5 days a week. (I should point out it takes only 1h 45m for me to play 18 at my club each morning)

This past Winter I took advantage of free membership at gym from my Medicare plan. I worked on core strength and some flexibility. I am lucky to have nearly the same tall, thin body I have had my whole adult life. It just aches and creaks more now when pushed.

Last edited:
With the golf swing is it possible to regain what you lost just by repetition? I don't know. I went through some major swing issues early this season, partly because of a horrible winter and partly because I'm a headcase haha. I have managed to work my way through it a bit but still have considered seeing a pro at least over the winter so I don't completely lose it again.

To answer your questions...

1. No I did not enjoy the game the same when I wasn't playing as well as I know I am capable of. The only thing that kept me going back for more was THP, I know that may sound like a line but its the truth. I watched many a youtube video and got to the range as often as my time allowed...and no I'm not a range rat I'm just the opposite I don't like the range in fact I don't like any kind of practice. I'd rather be on the course playing.

2. Best thing for me without messing up my schedule was twilight rounds. I'd go out by myself and walk the course. Just me, my clubs and my thoughts. Often times I'd hit four balls from each position except the tee if no one was behind me. I even would video myself and study my own swing. Even without a ton of swing knowledge I could see some issues which helped me mentally.

Reactions: JB
JB;n8880777 said:
My question to THPers who have gone through something similar is really twofold.

1. How do you cope with the deteriorating skills compared to where they were just a few years ago? Do you enjoy the game the same?

2. Have you found ways to get them back without marring up your current schedule?

For me I had to go down this road when I broke my ankle. I can’t quite load on my left side like I used to when I was younger and has led to my arms getting into the swing versus my shoulders rotating. At times it's frustrating, but I never lost the love of golf or playing with people I enjoyed spending time with. For me 18 holes with good company will trump bad golf any day.

I got back to a "decent" golf game by looking at areas of my game where I can make up for bad iron play (wedges and putter for me), and sharpened those skills. I also decided to increase my flexibility to help me gain some distance without completely tearing down my swing knowing I didnt have the time needed to a complete overhaul. By working on my flexibility I was able to increase swing speed and help cover up some less than stellar iron play.

hopefully this helps, but my advice would be to be deadly with your wedges and putter, while you tinker with how best to get the rest of the game to come around. The best part is most of your rounds are with THPers so you'll have fun regardless.

Last edited:
  • Admin
jdtox;n8880862 said:
With the golf swing is it possible to regain what you lost just by repetition? I don't know. I went through some major swing issues early this season, partly because of a horrible winter and partly because I'm a headcase haha. I have managed to work my way through it a bit but still have considered seeing a pro at least over the winter so I don't completely lose it again.

1. No I did not enjoy the game the same when I wasn't playing as well as I know I am capable of. The only thing that kept me going back for more was THP, I know that may sound like a line but its the truth. I watched many a youtube video and got to the range as often as my time allowed...and no I'm not a range rat I'm just the opposite I don't like the range in fact I don't like any kind of practice. I'd rather be on the course playing.

2. Best thing for me without messing up my schedule was twilight rounds. I'd go out by myself and walk the course. Just me, my clubs and my thoughts. Often times I'd hit four balls from each position except the tee if no one was behind me. I even would video myself and study my own swing. Even without a ton of swing knowledge I could see some issues which helped me mentally.

This is something I am thinking more and more about. Number 2 that is.

I know the feeling. Work gets hectic, and you have no urge to go and do anything once you get that free time.

I'd just stick with short game. At least that's kinda fun in comparison to just hitting long shot after shot? Short game if anything, still gets you the remembrance of solid center face contact?

Not sure I have anything valuable to add...

1. As I've creeped towards 40 I've noticed the distance really going away. Probably related more to my physical in-activity more-so than anything else. It made me hate playing - especially towards the end of last year. I took a step away from the game for almost a month and I missed all of it so much that I realized even playing terrible golf with friends was better than playing no golf at all. This year I've really tried to embrace the "playing short and from the fairway" mentality, but it's still been difficult. I think my best advice is to find the things you still love about the game and focus on them. If there's one thing you do really well (or did really well) - work on that and see if you can re-capture the magic. You've helped create one of the best communities in the world and I'm sure someone will have better advice than me, but I think the best thing about golf is that there's always something to hang your hat on. Even the worst golfers I know are some of the best people to hang out with. I believe if you can work on the little things - your game might round back into something that you're proud of.

2. I have no answer with schedule. By the end of September I'll have two kids under 2 years old (why did I wait so late to have kids :banghead:)....I'm worried how much time I'll need to take away. Not because I hate my family, but because I find golf so damn cathartic. I'm preparing for it mentally by saying that I'll do more indoor drills and backyard stuff, but even that might be hard to come by and might not be enough. I'll be curious to see what others say about this topic, because I too will be looking for ideas in the next few years.

Nappy;n8880905 said:
Not sure I have anything valuable to add...

1. As I've creeped towards 40 I've noticed the distance really going away. Probably related more to my physical in-activity more-so than anything else. It made me hate playing - especially towards the end of last year. I took a step away from the game for almost a month and I missed all of it so much that I realized even playing terrible golf with friends was better than playing no golf at all. This year I've really tried to embrace the "playing short and from the fairway" mentality, but it's still been difficult. I think my best advice is to find the things you still love about the game and focus on them. If there's one thing you do really well (or did really well) - work on that and see if you can re-capture the magic. You've helped create one of the best communities in the world and I'm sure someone will have better advice than me, but I think the best thing about golf is that there's always something to hang your hat on. Even the worst golfers I know are some of the best people to hang out with. I believe if you can work on the little things - your game might round back into something that you're proud of.

2. I have no answer with schedule. By the end of September I'll have two kids under 2 years old (why did I wait so late to have kids :banghead:)....I'm worried how much time I'll need to take away. Not because I hate my family, but because I find golf so damn cathartic. I'm preparing for it mentally by saying that I'll do more indoor drills and backyard stuff, but even that might be hard to come by and might not be enough. I'll be curious to see what others say about this topic, because I too will be looking for ideas in the next few years.

I am now 47 and I have found I lost about 15 yards, but not as many as I would have expected. I have decided to keep improving, I need to rework my thinking and just slow down my swing and take what distance I can get. I was not a great golfer, but before I stopped for graduate school in my late 30s, I could just swing hard follow the ball and scramble and make par or bogey. I have actually found since returning at 47 I am not as flexible, but I am hitting many more fairways than ever, just about 10 to 15 yards less than before. It is not translating into scoring right now because I am playing with zero wedges and a broken 5 iron, but I think it will. I am not going to worry about it distance any more or hitting it hard. I have decided to change my focus to my short game, course management and accuracy over distance. Hopefully that translates into a decent golf game.

I suppose you could work on your mental game. My game hasn't progressed, but it really hasn't regressed. I'd say that as my job and family have kept me off the course more the past few years, my average might be up, but my best scores remain the same. At this point, I just show up, swing at the ball, and hopefully it goes where I wanted, and if not, I know the next shot could easily make up for it.

Or at least that's my mindset. I actually have more low rounds this year than the past couple, but they are tempered by some high rounds I haven't seen since 2014. I won't remember those rounds by next Spring though. Instead, I'll just remember my great rounds and some pretty stellar shots.

~Rock

As an aging golfer with a significant injury history (back and knee problems), I can appreciate the effects that age and injury can have on one's golf game. But, I think the answers to your questions have a mental component in addition to a physical component. Although my golf game has declined primarily because I play a lot less and I do not practice at all, I actually enjoy the game more than ever. I attribute this to the fact that I have diminished expectations as to my play and I truly play the game to enjoy it. I place no pressure on myself. Whether I play good or bad, I still enjoy the fact that I am playing golf. It's not as if I'm going to lose my job because I shanked a chip shot or three putted from 10 feet.

1. I have always enjoyed the game, regardless of how I've played. So you have to ask yourself, how much do you want out of the game? Do you just want to play for the THP camaraderie? Or do you want to get a lower handicap, so you are more competitive? Do you enjoy the game regardless of how you play? I don't like the range myself but I do like to practice. Whether it's just hitting balls in my back yard or actually going to the practice area at the local course for a few hours on the way from work. But in reality, I'd much rather be on the course playing.

2. Best thing for me has always been to be involved in the game as much as I could regardless of schedule. I would find a way to get in some practice .... whether it's 10 minutes or 2 hours every day. I would make the practice sessions worth it by working on something specific and not just banging balls around. Luckily for me, I have a bunch of woods behind my house. So if I have a bunch of old golf balls or range balls, I can actually hit full shots in my backyard ... not aiming at other houses of course. (my nosy a** neighbor actually called the cops on me about that one day but that's another story)

Good Luck on your quest! Keep at it ... it's within your ability, so you know you can do it. It's just a matter of finding the time to do it. We appreciate all that you do to keep us THP'ers happy!

I was going through the same thing, when I was 22 or so I played to about a 12 handicap, but then I got married, had 2 kids, and started my career. Through my late teens and early 20's I just served tables and went to school so during the summer I could golf every day. Over the following decade it got down to about 10 times a year and my game dropped down to a 25ish handicap. I always depended on my short game anyway because I just dont hit it far at all so when I got down to 10 times a year scoring went out the window for me.

Fast forward to now and my solution? Last fall I saw a house for sale that backed up to a local public track. A public track in decent shape with good fast greens. My wife and I had been talking about a bigger house and this one was basically perfect so we bought it. It's also right beside tee boxes for a par 3 so we aren't in the line of fire of any stray golf balls. I got a membership to the course and now I can basically got out every night at dusk and do whatever I want on an entire golf course. I have a little 5 hole loop that I play and there are 3 greens within 100 yards of my back yard. It's taken 10 months, but my golf game is getting better as my last revision had me at an 18.9. I will never be single digit because I'm not a good driver, but being able to score from 100 and in again has been really enjoyable for me.

golfinnut;n8880984 said:

1. I have always enjoyed the game, regardless of how I've played. So you have to ask yourself, how much do you want out of the game? Do you just want to play for the THP camaraderie? Or do you want to get a lower handicap, so you are more competitive? Do you enjoy the game regardless of how you play? I don't like the range myself but I do like to practice. Whether it's just hitting balls in my back yard or actually going to the practice area at the local course for a few hours on the way from work. But in reality, I'd much rather be on the course playing.

2. Best thing for me has always been to be involved in the game as much as I could regardless of schedule. I would find a way to get in some practice .... whether it's 10 minutes or 2 hours every day. I would make the practice sessions worth it by working on something specific and not just banging balls around. Luckily for me, I have a bunch of woods behind my house. So if I have a bunch of old golf balls or range balls, I can actually hit full shots in my backyard ... not aiming at other houses of course. (my nosy a** neighbor actually called the cops on me about that one day but that's another story)

Good Luck on your quest! Keep at it ... it's within your ability, so you know you can do it. It's just a matter of finding the time to do it. We appreciate all that you do to keep us THP'ers happy!

Your question at number 1 is a good one. Its a tough answer for me, because its not about playing competitively, but about playing seriously. I always viewed golf in 3 arcs. Fun, Competitive, Serious. Fun and Serious always dominated my thoughts behind the game for myself.

Sounds like the Club Lab needs a simulator.

I can't help on the first question but I've focused a lot on that second one. The most effective methods for incorporating my drills into the schedule have come from James Clear's ideas.

The two most effective changes I've made is to roll some putts with a mirror during commercials of a TV show (doesn't matter if its on shag carpet - it doesn't matter what the ball does because its about setup and face control) or work on exaggerated feels/positions in the swing during commercial breaks. It doesn't annoy the wife because she isn't watching the commercials and it is a little time to help reinforce the few things I can control. I also habit-stacked to include a little stretching and foam rolling before bed.

jdtox;n8880862 said:
2. Best thing for me without messing up my schedule was twilight rounds. I'd go out by myself and walk the course. Just me, my clubs and my thoughts. Often times I'd hit four balls from each position except the tee if no one was behind me.

This helped me also. I used to love the range, but it being so hot and other family commitments, playing twilight rounds on a near empty course helped me “dial in” weaker parts of my game. It also helped me sharpen the wedge game and putting.

JB;n8880993 said:
Your question at number 1 is a good one. Its a tough answer for me, because its not about playing competitively, but about playing seriously. I always viewed golf in 3 arcs. Fun, Competitive, Serious. Fun and Serious always dominated my thoughts behind the game for myself.

I've always viewed it the same way actually. I've always had fun playing the game since I was a little kid playing with my father. As I got older & more competitive, I started to take the game more serious. So thru my high school & college years, I was very competitive and tried to get my cap as low as possible. But now as I've been playing in my 40's, I've taken the game for what it gives me. I enjoy whatever time I get to play, regardless of the outcome, knowing full well I don't have the same amount of time to play or practice. So I know that I'm only going to get but so good & I'm OK with that. I can still be serious about the game though cause if you play with me enough, you will see that I'm very hard on myself.

WICHITAREJECT;n8880925 said:
New equipment of course !!

Well obviously : )

I can relate exactly to what you’ve been through.

Back in college I was playing at my best then life took over and I rarely found time to play. The game and swing deteriorated significantly. I did not enjoy playing at all and would stop playing mid round. Fast forward to about 6 years ago and I found THP and my view on golf changed...was I playing my best, no. However I did enjoy the company during the various THP events I played in.
This year I’ve picked up the clubs more than I have the past 2 years. Work doesn’t allow me to get out and play a lot of 18 hole rounds, so I’ve sacrificed and play 9 hole rounds and will work on the short game. I’m seeing improvements and the handicap is dropping.

mmaynard11;n8881049 said:
I can relate exactly to what you’ve been through.

Back in college I was playing at my best then life took over and I rarely found time to play. The game and swing deteriorated significantly. I did not enjoy playing at all and would stop playing mid round. Fast forward to about 6 years ago and I found THP and my view on golf changed...was I playing my best, no. However I did enjoy the company during the various THP events I played in.
This year I’ve picked up the clubs more than I have the past 2 years. Work doesn’t allow me to get out and play a lot of 18 hole rounds, so I’ve sacrificed and play 9 hole rounds and will work on the short game. I’m seeing improvements and the handicap is dropping.

That is great to hear mmaynard. Its something I think I am going to do.

mikeg_74;n8881033 said:
This helped me also. I used to love the range, but it being so hot and other family commitments, playing twilight rounds on a near empty course helped me “dial in” weaker parts of my game. It also helped me sharpen the wedge game and putting.

Yep exactly. I find hitting a few balls from a specific yardage multiple times is much more enjoyable than pounding balls at the range. There were times a foursome in front of me was so slow I'd just chip all around the green or putt for 10-15 mins each hole until they were gone. Thats my kind of practice

Back