Skills Deteriorating: How to Fix?

jdtox;n8881054 said:
Yep exactly. I find hitting a few balls from a specific yardage multiple times is much more enjoyable than pounding balls at the range. There were times a foursome in front of me was so slow I'd just chip all around the green or putt for 10-15 mins each hole until they were gone. Thats my kind of practice

I have grown to despise the range. Even for warm up purposes. I will hit a few shots that I think I will need and a couple of drives just to get my body loose. Any extra time spent seems to do more harm than good. I think I hit 10 balls out of my 50 this last weekend warming up for our club championship.

radiman;n8881064 said:
I have grown to despise the range. Even for warm up purposes. I will hit a few shots that I think I will need and a couple of drives just to get my body loose. Any extra time spent seems to do more harm than good. I think I hit 10 balls out of my 50 this last weekend warming up for our club championship.

Haha I agree with this too. I'm not a big range warmup guy either. Maybe a few swings to get loose thats about it

I had a pretty lengthy layoff while I was in grad school, and my game completely disappeared. It was really rough coming back so I understand where you're coming from.

For #1 I think the best bet is to try and separate what you're seeing from injury vs. playing less. I think one of those is "fixable" (and honestly I think both are in time). But from a mental model, just accept that distance might be a bit down, or you're hitting the ball lower, etc. and play that shot. Don't let that stuff bother you, and focus on the technique/rust. I like your idea of working on short game vs. going to the pro and breaking things down - I find that honing in those partial, and even chip shots has some translation to the full swing for me and it doesn't necessarily go the other way.

In terms of getting out more - for me, early morning or late afternoon rounds at courses that I know don't seem to attract Richards do a lot for me. I've met a lot of nice folks, they've played quickly, and it feels like a nice escape. Then all of a sudden I look down at my card and I hit 7 greens for 9 holes without really thinking about it. I've gone out for some twilight rounds the last few weeks and they were just fantastic.

Reactions: JB
I was going to say embrace the tech out there to help get back some of what you are losing, but you have the best (and access to everything) and the best people to help you fitting wise (see Danny Le, Dan Brown as examples) so it comes down to time and just getting out there when you can.

We locals are always here to go and give you some company if wanted, it is a lot like going to exercise to me in theory. I hate to get in the car and go, but once I am there it is great and I feel better for it. I thought you lived in a Golfing community (guessing) so just putting the phone or tablet down and getting out there could be the key imo to finding what you are looking for.

JB;n8881053 said:
That is great to hear mmaynard. Its something I think I am going to do.

I think playing just nine holes vs a full round provided the biggest benefit and allowed me to focus more specifically on the areas I was working at on the range. Now I don’t beat myself up as much during those full 18 hole rounds and have found myself playing anywhere up to 36 holes during a single day.

Definitely would enjoy seeing you get back to that old form!

This sounds like an area of expertise of mine! Other than the typical pieces of tape that hold me together for a round/season. There are many thanks to this community and the people who have helped me open my eyes up to options/experiment with club setup that I had never thought of or decided to do in previous years.

1. Graphite in the irons...........let's face it, I'm not getting any younger and the ball just isnt going to go as far without some sort of getting in better shape, and well i'm more of a fat thor in avengers endgame than a sculpted god of thunder thor.

2. Hybrids - A'int nobody got time to be practicing hitting 2 irons or 3 irons anymore. These are plug and play, more forgiving, and yeah i can even hit them out of the long grass as well as the fairway.

3. Putter - This seems to be a touchy subject and everyone has their own methodology for whatever works for them. For me, it's now a 46" long putter. End of the day, it's a math contest not a beauty contest with the score. Gives my back the relief it needs to be able to actually practice and try to improve.

4. Eating healthy............this is just a space filler, nothing that I particularly do, just hear alot of people talking about it. I will take the deep dish pizza over the salad every day of the week and twice on sunday.

5. The toughest is metally realizing I'm not going to be as good as the yesteryears but temper the expectations a tad and take it for what it's worth, enjoy the game and capitalize on bragging rights when the real good golf game comes out of the shadows.

I’m going through this right now and honestly I just cannot enjoy playing right now. Unfortunately for me it’s not from lack of playing - I just have some serious mechanical issues that crept into my game.

Good luck with your journey and your game.

Wait, you only play 10 rounds a year?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chefkritter;n8881087 said:
This sounds like an area of expertise of mine! Other than the typical pieces of tape that hold me together for a round/season. There are many thanks to this community and the people who have helped me open my eyes up to options/experiment with club setup that I had never thought of or decided to do in previous years.

1. Graphite in the irons...........let's face it, I'm not getting any younger and the ball just isnt going to go as far without some sort of getting in better shape, and well i'm more of a fat thor in avengers endgame than a sculpted god of thunder thor.

2. Hybrids - A'int nobody got time to be practicing hitting 2 irons or 3 irons anymore. These are plug and play, more forgiving, and yeah i can even hit them out of the long grass as well as the fairway.

3. Putter - This seems to be a touchy subject and everyone has their own methodology for whatever works for them. For me, it's now a 46" long putter. End of the day, it's a math contest not a beauty contest with the score. Gives my back the relief it needs to be able to actually practice and try to improve.

4. Eating healthy............this is just a space filler, nothing that I particularly do, just hear alot of people talking about it. I will take the deep dish pizza over the salad every day of the week and twice on sunday.

5. The toughest is metally realizing I'm not going to be as good as the yesteryears but temper the expectations a tad and take it for what it's worth, enjoy the game and capitalize on bragging rights when the real good golf game comes out of the shadows.

You had me until #4
Well and that driver length putter.

I have definitely not been afraid of forgveness. Could this be the year I go to something like One Length or Two Length type of setup?

I’m weighing everything and really enjoying the advice and conversation in here.

JB;n8881093 said:
You had me until #4
Well and that driver length putter.

I have definitely not been afraid of forgveness. Could this be the year I go to something like One Length or Two Length type of setup?

I’m weighing everything and really enjoying the advice and conversation in here.

I wonder if 4 is what is getting me. Since hitting 41 my eating habits and my work out habits have got much worse. I’m not fat but could lose 25 lbs.

JB;n8880777 said:
This will be a lengthy post, but more cathartic than anything. 10 years ago I was playing to just around a 6 handicap and loving the game. 8 years ago, it was .9 and the best I had been to date. Slowly age, injuries and time allotment have eroded the game to where it is and the last couple of years have been tough. Currently playing to between a 9 and 10 handicap and it could go either way any time out. The last few rounds have been with THPers, so the fun has been in place, but the game is a shell of what it used to be.

Limited to 10 rounds or so each of the last few years it has made me cherish my time on the course. I do so only with THPers at THP Events it appears and luckily at some pretty special places.

My question to THPers who have gone through something similar is really twofold.

1. How do you cope with the deteriorating skills compared to where they were just a few years ago? Do you enjoy the game the same?

2. Have you found ways to get them back without marring up your current schedule?

I have quite a bit of golf scheduled for later this year and next. Working on some absolutely ridiculous things for THPers for next year and I want to be able to take part in the joys of them. Seeing my local pro seems like a simple fix, but without the time to engrain the items taught, I am unsure that is the best avenue, rather than just working on my short game, where I made my mark previously to the point that it is not entirely detrimental like it is now.

So I turn to you, THPers for your guidance of those that have been through this before.

With the passage of time and the physical limitations I’ve had since I played my best golf, I’’ve had to adjust my expectations about how I play and why I play. “ How I play” is more of a how do I approach each hole or round rather than how well I play each of them. Even with newest technology in golf clubs and balls, I can’’t overpower a big course like I did when I played my best, I try to play smarter. If I play a hole or course well, scores will follow. I may not get to a 7 and change again but I’m trying to embrace the game in a different manner that can be as fulfilling, if not more, than before. But it’s hard for that thought to come through when I’’m skanking it all over the yard.

Social aspect of playing with friends aside, “why I play” has always been about the challenge of the game. Now, the perspective is a little different. Rather than being solely score-oriented, I’’m more process focused. There’s more than one way to make a par. Or bogey. I still want to make the best score possible on each hole but I enjoy the challenge is finding the way to do it that fits what I can do that day.

I like playing golf. I enjoy playing it well. There is a difference. And sometimes the struggle to be somewhat proficient at such a confounding game is maddening.

Time is tough. Having a small putting green at home has helped immensely. I’ll also grab my orange whip for a few minutes during the day. And I try to stretch as often as I can.

I know you’ll find a way to meet the challenge.

I've never gotten better at golf. I shoot the same scores now (50s) that I shot as a teen. So I sure don't have any answers. But I think to get better at anything, we have to be clear on the purpose. I know if I am able to (honestly) visualize what I want to achieve, the path usually becomes clear. For me I love the overall experience of golf, particularly the shared experience with other golfers. I can keep doing that. Improving my game, however, will take a much more disciplined and meaningful ongoing practice. That's a commitment I'm not sure I am ready to take on. I have many passions and am not willing to accept the likely tradeoffs required. I'm more likely to try cbd oil and new gear fixes while embracing the play 9 mentality.

Good luck.

10 rounds per year is not much - hopefully that improves for you going forward. One thing that helps me is to get my hands on a club at least a few days a week when I’m not playing or practicing and swing it at least 50 times. I also have 7 and 10 pounds weighted bars in my workout room that are about 48” long that I’ll swing slowly for about 25 reps a few days a week after a workout. It takes little time and helps me maintain my golf muscles even when I’m not playing much.

I think the hardest things for us guys, or even just competitive people, is our ego.. my ego says I can still go run a few miles even though I haven't had a decent run in a couple years, or if I go to the gym I can still deadlift 315, etc etc

Hardest part when reality doesn't match up with expectations. Some of us have to lower expectations (like how getting new clubs won't magically fix a bad swing) or just become more realistic (identify small improvements over time, or you only play once a month, will be hard to hit good scores)

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

tahoebum;n8881223 said:
10 rounds per year is not much - hopefully that improves for you going forward. One thing that helps me is to get my hands on a club at least a few days a week when I’m not playing or practicing and swing it at least 50 times. I also have 7 and 10 pounds weighted bars in my workout room that are about 48” long that I’ll swing slowly for about 25 reps a few days a week after a workout. It takes little time and helps me maintain my golf muscles even when I’m not playing much.

This is a big one too. Not only do you have to spend time golfing you have to commit to exercise in order to stay in shape and prevent injury.

This might not be totally relevant, as it was a different sport, but I used to be a good goalie.

I never played in the NHL, but I did practice with the Wild more than once when they needed a practice goalie. Played with the Minnesota NHL alumni for over a decade of charity games.

Heck, I did Red Bull Crashed Ice in Saint Paul at 47 years old. In my goalie gear.

A few years ago my back finally said that playing high level hockey as a goalie needed to stop. No more trips to Tampa for Nationals. No more playing with the Wild at the last minute. No more charity games.

I found that I couldn't go play crappy hockey and take it easy on my back. It was completely not going to happen for me mentally.

I sold most of my gear, and doubt if I'll ever play goalie again. I skate out, but playing goal wasn't fun if I wasn't good.

I hope that isn't the case for you with golf, as you're not physically in pain when you play golf (I could barely walk the day after a tourney), but I know that for me I enjoy golf a lot while being happy with shooting sub-100 scores because it isn't the sport I was good at. There is no way I would be as "happy" with being mediocre at golf had I ever been good.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I needed to read this post. Thanks JB.

I've never been good at golf. Probably got to as low as a 14 6-7 years ago, but that required a significant commitment from my part. Playing multiple times a week, practicing at the range a couple times weekly, being younger all attributed to that. I've progressively gotten worse, and this year has been rock bottom. Not enough real practice time, and work stress has risen. Golf used to be an escape from the stress. Now playing awful golf, being unable to hit the ball solidly, golf became another source of stress rather than a release valve. Last couple of weeks I had purposely avoided everything golf related. To answer your first question - being this bad, going rounds without that one shot that brings you back, that's no fun. Not sustainable, especially when you've played at a higher level in your case (less crappy for me).

The answer for me is time management. I've spoken to my wife about it. There's no way I'm going to improve without a plan. So either allocate time to play & practice more or be very mindful of modifying expectations. I took a lesson about a month ago but it honestly did little good without practice time. Just have to make time, or for me, avoid golf altogether. Can't see that as a realistic route for you though :/

JB;n8880777 said:
This will be a lengthy post, but more cathartic than anything. 10 years ago I was playing to just around a 6 handicap and loving the game. 8 years ago, it was .9 and the best I had been to date. Slowly age, injuries and time allotment have eroded the game to where it is and the last couple of years have been tough. Currently playing to between a 9 and 10 handicap and it could go either way any time out. The last few rounds have been with THPers, so the fun has been in place, but the game is a shell of what it used to be.

Limited to 10 rounds or so each of the last few years it has made me cherish my time on the course. I do so only with THPers at THP Events it appears and luckily at some pretty special places.

My question to THPers who have gone through something similar is really twofold.

1. How do you cope with the deteriorating skills compared to where they were just a few years ago? Do you enjoy the game the same?

2. Have you found ways to get them back without marring up your current schedule?

I have quite a bit of golf scheduled for later this year and next. Working on some absolutely ridiculous things for THPers for next year and I want to be able to take part in the joys of them. Seeing my local pro seems like a simple fix, but without the time to engrain the items taught, I am unsure that is the best avenue, rather than just working on my short game, where I made my mark previously to the point that it is not entirely detrimental like it is now.

So I turn to you, THPers for your guidance of those that have been through this before.

Firstly,.... you call that a lengthy post? I mean in my world that would be considered even less than shorthand :)

I cant relate it to golf because frankly Ive never been that good to that level of even your higher cap. Though god knows Ive tried so hard and put a ton into trying to be. pehaps just maybe that in itself can put it in some perspective.

But what I can relate it to is skiing. I don't live in "ski country" and always required plans to be able to go skiing so it was far much more limited than what I would have liked. That said I was darn good at skiing especially considering how limited (relatively speaking) it was for me vs those living in ski country. I wasn't great at all types of skiing but for what the northeast coast gave me and when I could get it I made the most of it and can honestly say (very unlike golf for me) it came easier for me than most people. I love/ed it and was really darn good at it.

FF after raising a fam and very limited skiing through very many years (to some years not at all) plus teaching the kids on those only few times we would go I simply lost a good amount of my mojo (for lack of better word..lol) Combine that with age and im no where the skier I once was. That said and nowadays do get to ski a bit more again Im still very good at what I do out there. But I just cant do as much in as many different types of slopes and conditions but only for small spurts here and there. So in that sense its sort of the same question your asking. The only thing I can say is that I simply just enjoy and embrace what I am now (ski wise) and I still love doing it. Its my happy place and I take pride at being pretty good even though I cant quite ski as I did years ago. I have my old moments back on small occasions but the body just doesn't allow them to last as long and my brain also knows better now too...lol

I only hope with my golf...... that by the time I finally one day one these years can ever get where id like to be that I havnt at that time lost all that much physical ability due to age in order to do so.

I propose something radical: do like Going Lefty did. Start over as a left-hand golfer. You’ll have a built in reason to not be any good for now, it will engage you mentally, and you can start testing out southpaw sticks.

I have gone from a low 10 to 16.6

1. Honestly, I do not enjoy the game itself as much. It is frustrating to not be as good as you once were. Before I used to love getting up early and playing by myself and hitting some great for me shots. Now it’s about being with friends and sharing laughs.

2. I haven’t figured it out yet. My skill level requires a certain amount of maintenance. That takes time. I don’t think there’s an easy solution.

You just need to find a way to get a few more rounds in. Whether becoming part of the events participation wise, or just mixing in a round here and there. I'm 51 and while my handicap isn't very indicative of my play(too many penalty strokes), I am a better golfer by a mile than 10 years ago. Age is just a number and you have to treat it as such.

JB, this has been my battle for a while. I'm now 62. I'm hitting the ball as far as ever. My HC is within a stroke of my lowest ever. Here's how I've battled.

1. Equipment - which was suggested by others. I've gotten fit for every club in my bag.
2. Get fit - I committed to a nutrition and exercise program that besides golf has had many other benefits. This can't be haphazard. The design and execution of a fitness program will determine the extent of your results. Both my doctor and dentist say that if they didn't know my age their tests and readings are indicative of a healthy 35-year-old. That didn't happen overnight, but it did happen. It's amazing how far you can go with this.
3. Short game - For me, I've long been an empty nester and that gives me time to commit to practice. Based on your OP, I know time will be a difficult challenge for you. However, here is a twist that has served me well. Over these years I have sought out two things that make this much more than just practice. I've sought to learn what makes the ball go, the biomechanic aspect of the game and sought what I often refer to as a simplified paint-by-numbers approach. By reducing the number of variables in things like my chipping, pitching, and putting there are fewer things that can go wrong and that I have to pay attention to make sure they don't go awry. I've also looked for ways that aren't as dependent on physical capabilities--especially balance and power. Because I know eventually those will erode. That's an approach you can take. In fact, with your position in the industry, you probably have easier access than some of us and can at times combine it with your job.
4. JB's Golf Tips - I've long kept a single-page document that shorthands what works for me. Keys to setup, backswing, downswing, chipping, pitching, and putting. Everybody's tendencies are different. Know your's and you can get back on track quicker and stay on track longer.

For me it's all about expectations. I started at 42. So I haven't lived my glory days as teen scratch golfer. I plan to time my peak years to retirement so that deteriorating body will start to counteract the forever improving skillset and I will remain bogey golfer forever :)

My main focus in golf is to learn it and play. Handicap is just a measure of my potential, not a target for me. It only tells me how many shots I get compared to scratch golfers. With accurate handicap (one that reflects my game, not my ego) I can enjoy playing (and also competing) with single-digits, newbies and everyone in between.

JB we NEED you. I have had the same job for over 30 years and I go through periods of burnout. If you get burned out with golf you would have to fake it so to speak on here and that would not be good for you or us. Your love of equipment and tech is infectious but without the game and playing it what is your motivation? I believe that you playing rounds is more important than anything else in your career.

JB;n8880777 said:

1. Well, at 43, I’m still relatively young but I have noticed increasing difficulty with arthritis in my hands impacting my game. As it flares up I tend towards a strong grip and start pull-hooking everything. Used to be I’d go beat balls at the range until I fixed it, but nowadays I find that counterproductive since it aggravates the arthritis.

So... I’m up from a 6 to a 14, and some days I love it, others are frustrating. I’m taking it as a bit of a mental health challenge to manage my attitude on the course and enjoy it for what it is - a fun game with friends, or alone, outdoors, where I love to be - regardless of my score.

2. My kids are older (17 and 22) and my schedule is actually pretty wide open compared to my younger days so it’s not too much of an issue. I’m an early riser so I’m either at the office by 6:30 and out by 3:00 for an afternoon 9 holes, or I play first thing in the morning.

Back