Skills Deteriorating: How to Fix?

JB;n8882303 said:
Finding a solution that creates betterment with what I have to work with. Stagnancy is not my cup of tea...

Well, since you are a good player, I doubt you have any glaring weaknesses that can make a huge difference with the situation. At your level, from the general vibe I get, those 5 strokes are harder to come by than knocking 5 strokes from my scores. So, time is the key factor.

Im kind of in this boat too. Im nearing 40 and my flexibility and distance arent what they once were. Also, with my work and social life schedule, I dont practice like I used to. Back when I was in my 20s and single, I used to practice almost every day and play a few times a week. Now, thats not really a possibility. Im lucking if I can stick to 1 practice session a week and a round of golf on the weekends.
Having said that, Im now playing the best game of my life because Ive learned how to play smart golf. Instead of always trying to bomb it, I go with the smart play and the safe miss.
I think that as we get older, our priorities with golf change. It goes from constantly expecting to improve to just enjoying being out on the course and spending time with friends or cool randoms that you get grouped with.
Im now to the point where a day on the golf course beats a day doing just about anything else and if I can shoot bogey or better, thats a good hole. I have no dreams or plans of trying to play on tour, nor do I plan to ever be a scratch golfer.
Its quite freeing, actually.

I would love to get a simulator. I think the opportunity to hit at the house every day or near daily, even for 20 minutes, would be a huge benefit to me. I know they aren't cheap but it may be a worthwhile option for you as well.

I wish I had a recommendation for your first question, it's something I'm struggling with myself and my situation can't compare to yours. You likely work 80+ hours a week and I'm out of work. So time is something I have a lot of. I do know that the serenity of a golf course and the camaraderie of playing with friends/acquaintances is high up on my list of coping mechanisms. Just yesterday, after putting yet another drive into the woods I just stopped seething and thought of how beautiful and quiet the course was. My stress level dropped and ironically I par'd the the next three holes.

Tee/Ski;n8882636 said:
I would love to get a simulator. I think the opportunity to hit at the house every day or near daily, even for 20 minutes, would be a huge benefit to me. I know they aren't cheap but it may be a worthwhile option for you as well.

I wish I had a recommendation for your first question, it's something I'm struggling with myself and my situation can't compare to yours. You likely work 80+ hours a week and I'm out of work. So time is something I have a lot of. I do know that the serenity of a golf course and the camaraderie of playing with friends/acquaintances is high up on my list of coping mechanisms. Just yesterday, after putting yet another drive into the woods I just stopped seething and thought of how beautiful and quiet the course was. My stress level dropped and ironically I par'd the the next three holes.

Good thought about the simulator. Already having a GCQuad does help too..

Very interesting discussion and a lot of great perspectives for sure. I’ve never been a ‘good’ golfer but I can certainly speak to the deterioration, not so much skills but physical attributes and to say the least its very frustrating! I’m a fairly big guy and when I first started playing (if you call it that) I could hit it a long way... not accurately but it made the game easier hitting low irons and wedges at greens even if I was in a different fairway.
2008 I had a nerve/neck issue with a surgery but I’ve not regained the strength in my right arm (deltoid and biceps are as strong as a 6y.o. ). Add on knee issues and I feel lucky to be able to still play.

I’m competitive and self deprecating as hell and i always feel that I should be able to play better despite these physical issues. This really comes to light after I play 3/4 times in 2/3 days with the aches and pains. At the end of the day I’ve been able to accept reality that I play the game for the camaraderie friendships and beauty of the game. I occasionally make a good swing that translates to a good golf shot which lends to the enjoyment.
I play when time allows and find I still try to improve my game/swing /mental approach but I remain my worst critic....
And still grateful at the same time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a fact of life, as you age, you lose ability, flexibility, speed. Hopefully, you don't also lose mental agility. Also, life has a tendency to get in the way, family, work, other distractions. The only way to get lower scores is to play a lot, and if you can't then you won't keep low scores.The best thing one can do is to change expectations. Accept that one is never going to be a scratch golfer, so enjoy the game, not the score. Get yourself a group of friends who enjoy the game and have fun with them. If you can't, it's a mental issue.

Build a THP Sim in the Club Lab is another thought...

JDax;n8883835 said:
Build a THP Sim in the Club Lab is another thought...

Ceiling height.

JB;n8883887 said:
Ceiling height.

Remodel and then build a THP Sim. :D

JB;n8883887 said:
Ceiling height.

f4e1492739bb4994b7bad622f3cf52fa.jpg

Let’s table this discussion until you put these in play... #ProblemSolved

JDax;n8884823 said:
f4e1492739bb4994b7bad622f3cf52fa.jpg

Let’s table this discussion until you put these in play... #ProblemSolved

Hahah. The THP Way : )
To be honest, it's not a full set, but when that comes in, it will head to Jman

Once a detrimental swing flaw creeps into one’s game, I truly think the easiest way out is to see a good instructor. They often can identify the issue and provide the fix. The fix isn’t always something that requires lots of practice time.

As far as incremental, slow deterioration in the game due to age or life circumstances, I think you have to accept what is, not holding onto what once was and cannot be regained. One of the reasons I love golf is because it is an activity that is a microcosm of life. In both, we have to learn not to resist or fight against the things that we have no control to change. Continuing to want what cannot be had is a great source of unhappiness in life. Easier said than done, but that is what I try to do.

On second thought, the answer may be to put a full set of Epic Forged irons in the bag, once that full set arrives.

JB;n8884828 said:
Hahah. The THP Way : )
To be honest, it's not a full set, but when that comes in, it will head to Jman

Someone called? Hahaha

Back