Golfing with your kids.

baylrballa

2024 WWGC Food and Drink Champion
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
>10
What age did you start introducing the game to your kids?
Was it something they took to at a young age, or not really?
What age for lessons?

Been thinking about getting my little guy his first set of "clubs" soon. He doesn't quite have the attention span yet at 3 and a half, but he would love to carry them around I think. My wife wants to get him lessons in a few years where I said just let him screw around with it until quite a bit older and if he expressed interest, sure. I was never a huge fan of lessons growing up.

My kids would come out at around 5 or 6 to the course and we let them ride in carts and putt with us on the green. When they wanted to they were welcome, when not they’d hang out in the cart with a book or game.

my eldest son decided he wanted to pick up the game properly last year (at 10) and has been in lessons since.

This is a great question and something I'm wondering as well. My daughter is only 1.5 but she has a little putter that carries around the house (especially when dad is using his on his putting mat lol) but she also seems to have interest in watching golf with me.

I'd love the idea of her playing with me some day, but I also don't want force her to do anything she isn't interested in.

I think the best idea is to take them out with you for a quick 9 and just see how they take to it. Maybe see if your course has any young kids clubs they could borrow and let them mess around at the putting green or driving range.

My son is 6 and I've taken him to the driving range a few times with his kids yard club. He enjoys it. I try to help him with his swing but he hates that. Mostly that is just him being a stubborn 6 year old. But on rare occasions when he lets me help him and then he hits a pretty shot he gets really excited and I'm like that's what can happen if you let somebody help. I'll probably just continue to take him to the range until he is a little older and a little more patient. But I really look forward to the day when we can go play an actual round of golf together.

I never pushed it on either one of mine, they would always want to come out and drive the cart though.

very young. i first started bringing my oldest to the course before he was a year. i would let him play in the bunkers, run up and down hills, etc. it was basically a big park. then i got him one or two junior clubs and let him hack away on the driving range. if he was ready to leave after hitting 3 balls, i was ok to leave. i didn't want to assault him with all the dos and donts of the game right away, just ease him in to see if he liked it first.

eventually he has come to really enjoy it, and it's always a blast to play with him.

before anyone wants to use my methodology, i did the exact same thing with my youngest, and he has no taste for the game. just doesn't care one bit. so it's very personality driven.

I remember going out with my dad from a young age. Maybe 8 or 9 when I started to actually play with him and my brother. Have fond memories when we were stationed in the UK playing a local course.

I have all three of my grandkids set up with clubs at 10-6-4. The 6 year old asked me last week for lessons so he is already signed up and off and running. We will usually do a Friday night driving range during the summer. They love hitting balls and if they want more out of it it will be up to them.

My kids have no interest.

I do not think you can make golf attractive to young kids but you can ruin it for them if it is not fun. Expose them to golf and let it happen on its own.

Nappy;n8883068 said:
This is a great question and something I'm wondering as well. My daughter is only 1.5 but she has a little putter that carries around the house (especially when dad is using his on his putting mat lol) but she also seems to have interest in watching golf with me.

I'd love the idea of her playing with me some day, but I also don't want force her to do anything she isn't interested in.

I think the best idea is to take them out with you for a quick 9 and just see how they take to it. Maybe see if your course has any young kids clubs they could borrow and let them mess around at the putting green or driving range.

he's come out to the putting green a few times. only torn it up a bit, he has an agressive style putting stroke with an unorthodox grip.

Doubleb21;n8883610 said:
I have all three of my grandkids set up with clubs at 10-6-4. The 6 year old asked me last week for lessons so he is already signed up and off and running. We will usually do a Friday night driving range during the summer. They love hitting balls and if they want more out of it it will be up to them.

that's awesome, 5 or 6 seems to be the early consensus.

Back