A Tale of Two Nines.

Greg Kulbick

I don't golf good
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
It was the best of nines, it was the worst of nines, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness...

Last night after work, I met a couple friends to get some golf in and we decided to play from the tips since there had been some discussion about the flighting and tees in the recent Tallahassee Open at the same course. Now, the tips, save for a few holes, is essentially just the very back of the tee box we normally play. Par 1, bogey 2, birdie three from the rough off the back of the green, all pars through 7. Fried egg greenside on 8 and finish with a 3 over 39. We make the turn. Horrendous swing on 10 tee, ball goes into the driving range. Reload, thin 4w and it leads to a triple bogey 7. We skipped 11 to go around a fivesome that was taking its sweet-ass time, as we wanted to finish before dark. The new tee they built just for the tournament makes the par 3 12th 195 yards to a green that is nearly a sliver depth wise, and its pretty much all carry over water. I hit itvery poor and very right and didn't carry it over the water. I go to the drop zone, pitch and make a putt to save bogey. Pull my tee shot on 13 left into the water, drop and get a lucky putt to fall for a double. 14 is a double. 15 is a bogey. 16 is a very generous ESCed double. 17 is a double. 18 is a double. That's a twelve shot difference, skipping a hole on the back.

What's your worst tale of two nines?

Man I have so many "Jekyl & Hyde" rounds its not even funny. Thinking back I've flipped nines anywhere from 8-12 shots. One that stand out was going out in 38 and coming in at 52. Lost all feel on the back and just couldn't make a putt to save my life.

i can't really think of a worst jekyll and hyde front vs back 9. i've started strong then completely imploded, but not usually after ending a 9.

53-40 at PB Dye in Maryland.

Dude, I've been there. It is amazing how much a game can fluctuate throughout one round. Forget the bad stuff and remember all of the great shots you hit on the front.

Christmas day last year I shot a 41 - 50. I was playing at a tough desert course in Arizona and was hitting it really good. Instead of breaking 80 I fell apart. I do not tally my front nine score when I am playing well, one less thing in my head.

Just went 47-37 this past weekend... I'm just glad it went in that order

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Happens all too often. A lot of times it’s me getting in my head. Bad front 9 and I get loose enough to play awesome or great front 9 and I put myself on 59 watch, only to post 5 doubles on the back. :arrogant:

I would say my worst was a 48/38 I was close to walking of the course, but I have always told myself no matter how bad it got I would never quite around. We made the turn and it didn't matter because I knew the round was ruined and shot great.

46 - 33 - 79. Was +12 through 11 and feeling lost then it somehow completely flipped. Played -5 (5 birdies) over the last 7 holes.

I had one of these a few weeks ago and posted about it, but now I can’t find the thread. I shot something like a 57 on the front, was not happy, took a moment to compose myself and then shot something like a 43 or 44 on the back, which was my best back 9 at that particular course. For whatever reason, I just could not get it going on the front.

36-46 when was in college. I have never had/seen the wheels come off that bad since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’ve had many nines this summer with big differentials. Yesterday it was 34-40(par 73)with a triple on the back nine. My putter let me down on the back nine with two 3 putts. The triple was a bit of bad luck along with poor execution on the 13th hole. It took me 6 strokes from 102 yards in the middle of the fairway after a perfect tee shot. My worst ever was a 30-40 when I was young. I’ve also played 36 holes hundreds of times and two years ago had an 83-71 with 5 minutes of break between rounds.

Last edited:
I've had a bunch of rounds with 10+ shot swings between nines. Usually the back is better.

Back