Does slow play screw up your game?

tcugdu;n8883225 said:
Yes. Slow play in front of me, maintenance crews/equipment, and bev carts are my 3 worst enemies on the course.

I really need to work on that part of my mental game.

The mental game comes and goes for me. On my best round ever last year the one thing that really set it apart and allowed for the good score was that I was totally locked in on every shot coming down the back stretch. Thankfully the group in front of me then wasn't super slow.

I used to not think so, but lately it really has bothered me. It takes me out of my groove (to the extent I get in one to begin with).

Waiting won't kill me in general, but if it's extended wait times and on almost every shot, it definitely throws off the rhythm for sure. My best rounds have come from being able to keep a relatively consistent pace to play.

I struggle with patience so it can get to me. Throws me out of the swing groove.

It is crazy hot here in Texas at the moment and waiting on the course means you are roasting in the sun. I make the best of it but it does wear me down after a while.

depends on the round, but typically yes. If a round starts to get bogged down Ive learned to change my approach. Still play ready golf as I can, but instead of grabbing my club and standing right by my ball, I will either grab the club and stay seated in the cart or stand like 15-20 yards away and keep my mind occupied about something else. Then when I notice that I will be able to hit soonish, I will start my shot routine in order to be ready to hit as soon as I can (and then wait all over again hahaha)

Best answer is sometimes. Most often I'll play to the green and then chip or putt a couple more times to occupy that time, however, when I'm being pushed I feel guilty about spending more time on the green and will wait at the next tee box. It's during those times when boredom sets in. I will say though that in the past month I've had more people allow me to play through than not so that's a positive trend for my course.

Slow play really bothers me if I'm waiting on a group ahead. If I'm playing with someone that is a little slow it doesn't bother me as much so long as it doesn't cause a group behind us to catch up/push us.

On a related subject, for Tour play I was listening to a Tour administration official explain that (since Tour events are full fields of 150 plus players, with groups on every hole and no place for any player-group to go), the players inevitably train themselves to play at a slow pace.
The idea being that "hurrying up to wait" does not make good sense.

It can depending on the situation. Waiting on the tee doesn't bother me as much, but for some reason waiting to take my 2nd shot always impacts me more, especially if the group behind us is now waiting for us as well, so then we can't even try to slow down a little to create more room and less waiting since we're now holding the other group up.

To some extent it does if I’m in a groove. It’s more about if I expect it or not. A scramble I’m already going in knowing it’ll be a glacial pace. But if it’s a random weekday as a single or a pair it can get pretty frustrating if they don’t let you through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. When I get in a groove, I like to hit and go and keep my normal tempo up.

DG_1234;n8884925 said:
On a related subject, for Tour play I was listening to a Tour administration official explain that (since Tour events are full fields of 150 plus players, with groups on every hole and no place for any player-group to go), the players inevitably train themselves to play at a slow pace.
The idea being that "hurrying up to wait" does not make good sense.

One of the most valuable skills a Tour player nowadays could learn is the skill of ALWAYS being the slowest player in the group. If you're the slowpoke, you never have to vary your pace to accommodate someone else. If you normally play fast, you're constantly being forced out of your rhythm.

Destroys my game. I am a rhythm player. Hit ball, find ball, hit ball. When I can motor around at my pace, I tend to shoot 10+ better than when I am waiting around.

I am usually always waiting to hit my second shot in any foursome I play in. I am used to waiting. Slow play doesn't bother me. I get a very Grinch-like grin thinking about how it does bother others. Makes me think of the possibilities on how to rattle them on the course.

blugold;n8885062 said:
I am usually always waiting to hit my second shot in any foursome I play in. I am used to waiting. Slow play doesn't bother me. I get a very Grinch-like grin thinking about how it does bother others. Makes me think of the possibilities on how to rattle them on the course.

Whatever gets you off, man.

Et Tu Brute?;n8885069 said:
Whatever gets you off, man.

I am not a slow player. When it's my turn, I am ready to play. I just wait...a lot...I golf in a league that is made up of most 40+ golfers, a few 50+, four 60+ and one 70+. I am usually waiting a long time before I can even go up to my ball. Is what it is. But if I know a player is antsy when out of rhythm, why wouldn't I try and break their rhythm? Why let other players have that much control over your game? That's just a sign of a mentally weak golfer.

It can get inside my head and I've definitely seen it get inside my playing partners.

I now look at it like a challenge. A mental challenge. Am I mentally strong enough to not let it knock me off my game? Being adaptable and mentally strong is a valuable trait.

My recommendations.
1. Relax. No good getting up on the tee box, looking out to the slow pokes and having massively negative self talk or a mini temper tantrum. It is what it is. Accept it. Relax.
2. Modify your own routine a bit. If they are playing slow, no point in hustling from point A to B. If you stand on the tee and wait for >5 minutes, when it's your turn, take a moment to recalibrate before hitting. Don't rush (no point in wait-wait-wait-hurry-hit). Take a few extra practice swings. Get your tempo right.

I play much better when the pace is moving steady. I have had some of my best rounds in under 3 hours. When you are two deep on the tee box it just takes me out of my groove. I need to practice being more patient and go with the flow of the course so i can work on lowering my scores.

Slow play definitely gets me out of my rhythm and if it continues hole after hole I find myself disengaging.

Yes, absolutely...if I get in a rhythm and hit a very slow group, I usually go off the rails.

Et Tu Brute?;n8885015 said:
One of the most valuable skills a Tour player nowadays could learn is the skill of ALWAYS being the slowest player in the group. If you're the slowpoke, you never have to vary your pace to accommodate someone else. If you normally play fast, you're constantly being forced out of your rhythm.

The Tour recognizes that full golf courses will have a slow pace of play. This is true for pros as well as amateur. If the course has a group or two on every hole, play will be slow, period. So, in this situation why not adjust your own pace of play to be in harmony with the pace conditions ? This makes more sense then playing shots quickly and then having to wait. This is what the Tour administrator suggested and I agree with his perspective.

We had this decision in Chicago last week and it definitely affects my game. Maybe its my lack of patience but I like getting into a rhythm and playing quick. We had three groups on one hole several times which is just crazy and should never happen.

DG_1234;n8885198 said:
The Tour recognizes that full golf courses will have a slow pace of play. This is true for pros as well as amateur. If the course has a group or two on every hole, play will be slow, period. So, in this situation why not adjust your own pace of play to be in harmony with the pace conditions ? This makes more sense then playing shots quickly and then having to wait. This is what the Tour administrator suggested and I agree with his perspective.

So they take that advice, all the fast guys on Tour learn to slow down and average pace goes to 4:30 instead of 4:20. Which means everyone ought to learn to slow down a little more. When will result in the average pace goes to 4:40. Then 4:50.

Ten years from now they'll be playing in 6 hours and the commish will say, "You know it's going to take 6 hours out there, why not just slow down a little instead of trying to push it?".

Wouldn't it be simpler to throw out a handful of 2-shot slow play penalties every week until the Brysons of the world drag their thumb out of their mouth and get on with it? I figure it would take half a season of that, tops, before Bryson starts playing like a latter-day Tom Watson.

Et Tu Brute?;n8885233 said:
So they take that advice, all the fast guys on Tour learn to slow down and average pace goes to 4:30 instead of 4:20. Which means everyone ought to learn to slow down a little more. When will result in the average pace goes to 4:40. Then 4:50.

Ten years from now they'll be playing in 6 hours and the commish will say, "You know it's going to take 6 hours out there, why not just slow down a little instead of trying to push it?".

Wouldn't it be simpler to throw out a handful of 2-shot slow play penalties every week until the Brysons of the world drag their thumb out of their mouth and get on with it? I figure it would take half a season of that, tops, before Bryson starts playing like a latter-day Tom Watson.

I think the Tour's position is that golf courses full of 156 players will always have relatively slow play, and I agree.
For some reason, in discussion about slow play, the number of players on the golf course seems to be ignored. But the reality is that any course filled with groups of players on every hole, either Tour pros or amateurs, will always have a relatively slow pace of play.

Back