How has golf changed, shaped, or impacted your life?

Stryker

#NothingFeelsLikeAMizuno
Reaction score
I was thinking about this the last week or two and it really shocked me how much my life has changed since I started playing golf. I started two years ago at the young age of 37. My story is a little different because I never understood why anyone would want to play golf growing up and things all changed for me. At the time, I was about 1 year in to being in the real estate business and I had a 1 year old son. I really only considered the game because I knew it would help me with business relationships but more importantly I knew I was not getting any younger and I wanted to find something I could enjoy with my son as we both got older. Football, baseball, basketball, etc. all seemed like something that would not work very well as I was not exactly starting a family at a young age. Looking back on it now, I actually expected to hate the experience but felt like it was something I should at least try. I must admit, I was a bit wiser then most and knew I should seek lessons to at least learn the basics and I did that before ever starting on the course. I was quite surprised how much I was enjoying myself and the game. Lets face it, I can definitely use the exercise. Within a couple weeks I found myself on the interwebs looking for more and more information and trying to learn as much as I could and that led me to THP.

Just over two years ago, I never cared about what the weather was doing unless it was hunting season. Now part of my weekly plan has me checking the weather and trying to work in time for golf on the good days. I was not the most active person in the world and rarely had a tan as I just did not spend a lot of time outdoors except during hunting season. Now I find myself at the course or range at least twice a week. I am definitely not Casper the friendly ghost anymore and I am also losing weight and feeling much better health wise. That is definitely one major change. I also find myself on the internet much more then I ever expected. What I mean by this is that I never really expected to find a community of people on the internet of all places that I actually really enjoyed conversing with and getting to know.

Getting invited to the 2018 MC was a major life experience for me. First off, CPG and THP were amazing hosts and treated us all so well I was floored by it all. I probably looked like a deer in the headlights all weekend trying to take it all in. More importantly, I have been amazed every day since how close I really got with all the participants on both teams. A year and a half later and we still have a group text with most of us in that is constantly making my phone go nuts all day every day. I know more about these guys then I do about people I have known a lot longer. We really bonded so well we crack jokes on each other and give each other a hard time but we also celebrate each others successes and are there for each other when times are tough. Never in my wildest dreams, or maybe nightmares with these guys, did I ever expect picking up golf would lead to such solid friendships. That also led to some heartache when we lost our brother P4B as well. Again who would have thought a guy I never met in my life would have such a huge impact on me in such a short period of time. I am not sure I ever met someone who had such a heart of gold. That is why when my wife and I found out we were having another child, due anytime now I might add, that when we started discussing names I kept coming back to Jason. I have said it before and will say it again, as a parent I want my kids to grow up and be the kind of person P4B was and with that in mind I could not think of a better name or a better person for him to aspire to be like. It still makes my eyes water every time I think about my brother but it also brings a big smile to my face knowing I was one of the lucky ones who got to know him a bit and I have golf to thank for that.

I have been fortunate enough to meet a lot of people playing golf and I am definitely a people person and like meeting new people. I have been lucky in that regards and made friendships with other THP members including quite a few that were not in Florida with us last year. I have also made several very good friendships here locally with people I have met through golf and still play regularly with. I am also thrilled that my son, now 3.5, thinks golf is the greatest thing in the world. He is already a club ho like his dad and has multiple putters and his own little wedge. All he wants to do every single day is go out in the yard and swing his clubs or go to the course with dad and play a round. It has even brought my wife and I closer as it gives us something to do. She doesn't play but she loves to ride with my son and I and watch us. It gets us out as a family for a couple hours and there is nothing I like more then to see that big smile on his face when he is on the course and doing his best to hit the ball. That little boy can hit some good wedge shots already and some days he is a heck of putter as well. Right now, I don't try and teach him anything at all and just let him have fun but I am looking forward to a few years from now when he really starts to learn how to play and can not wait for our time together on the course as he gets older. Hopefully his new brother will follow suit and be the same when he is born and starts to grow. I can not imagine how much it is going to mean to me to spend time with my boys playing golf.

It is almost a bit overwhelming every time I think about the impact golf has had on my life for the last two years and knowing how much it is going to be part of my life going forward. I am really interested in hearing how the golf has impacted other members of the forum. Whether it is something you grew up with from a parent or grandparent or something you took up at a later point in life like me how has it impacted, changed, or shaped your life?

Last edited:
There's a lot I could write on this, but I think it all rolls into this:

Golf, and all of its parts, gives me something else to think about when I need something else to think about. Which is often.

I wouldn't say it has saved my life... but I'm not saying it hasn't.

golfunfiltered;n8883101 said:
There's a lot I could write on this, but I think it all rolls into this:

Golf, and all of its parts, gives me something else to think about when I need something else to think about. Which is often.

I wouldn't say it has saved my life... but I'm not saying it hasn't.

You know that says a lot with out saying a lot. I would honestly love to sit down with a couple beers and hear some of those tales some day.

i don't think golf itself has changed my life. like golfunfiltered golf is a great escape for me. but i could easily supplement golf with any number of other hobbies and i'd be just as obsessed and fulfilled. what has my changed my life is the hackers paradise, and that's not hyperbole or kissing a$$. thp has introduced me to some people for whom i care deeply.

It has given me a nice hobby that has cost me a lot of $$'s!!! Seriously though, it gives me a get a way to relax and have some time with friends.

Golf introduced me to a bunch of amazing people and helped establish something I can do with my childhood friends when we all get together. It's the best social event I can imagine.

McLovin;n8883150 said:
i don't think golf itself has changed my life. like golfunfiltered golf is a great escape for me. but i could easily supplement golf with any number of other hobbies and i'd be just as obsessed and fulfilled. what has my changed my life is the hackers paradise, and that's not hyperbole or kissing a$$. thp has introduced me to some people for whom i care deeply.

I understand this completely and feel the exact same. While I still would enjoy the game I don't think it alone has changed my life. However this place...this amazing place... has given me many opportunities I never would have had and forged relationships with some really amazing people who I never would have met or even know existed otherwise. Some whom I speak with on the regular...if texting counts haha

I has been a great way to channel stress, get out in the outdoors, chance to meet new people, experience highs and lows, as well as a competitive atmosphere.

Without golf I have no idea what I would have done in the last 10 years. From personal to professional issues to everything in between. I have better friends now in the golf world than i did leading up to taking on golf full time as a hobby.

Life changer no doubt

A lot. My moms parents were/are extremely into golf, and the etiquette that goes along with it. I didn't start really playing until I was older, but the game and a lot of the facets around the game and country clubs were instilled into me growing up.

McLovin;n8883150 said:

That is definitely how I feel on that topic. More of an impact on me then a change.

I think there's a lot of life lessons in golf. The most important thing to me is that when you work hard and doing something difficult, the reward is that much greater.

I always viewed the game as "too hard" growing up, now I'm grateful for the lessons it's taught me.

I would say that I know both my father-in-law and brother-in-law better than I would have without learning to play golf. One of my best friends, is a guy I met at work that played golf. I was the best man at his wedding and he was the best man at my wedding. He and I do not get to see much of each other even though we live in the same city: his life / my life. Another of my best friends is a guy I met through my brother-in-law just added to our group. He and I only see each other once a year now. Another buddy moved off to Miss for his work and family. But when we step on the golf course it was like we are back in college playing our regular 4-some. It is like time stands still with these guys. So some of my best, life-long friends today are because of golf. I have a great relationship with my in-laws because of golf. I have gotten more from golf than I will ever "give" back to the game. Just an old hacker that enjoys the course, the challenge, the friendships and razzing of life-long friends.

FreddieMac;n8883671 said:
I would say that I know both my father-in-law and brother-in-law better than I would have without learning to play golf. One of my best friends, is a guy I met at work that played golf. I was the best man at his wedding and he was the best man at my wedding. He and I do not get to see much of each other even though we live in the same city: his life / my life. Another of my best friends is a guy I met through my brother-in-law just added to our group. He and I only see each other once a year now. Another buddy moved off to Miss for his work and family. But when we step on the golf course it was like we are back in college playing our regular 4-some. It is like time stands still with these guys. So some of my best, life-long friends today are because of golf. I have a great relationship with my in-laws because of golf. I have gotten more from golf than I will ever "give" back to the game. Just an old hacker that enjoys the course, the challenge, the friendships and razzing of life-long friends.

This is awesome right here and a large part of how its impacted me similarly as well.

dont know if it has "changed or impacted my life." but it most definetely has forged some long lasting relationships and friendships that i wouldnt have had any other way of meeting these people. Golf is an outlet for me to get the eff away from the world for a while.

I would say that golf has impacted my life in a way I would never thought.... I have made lasting friends and strengthened bonds through the game of golf. THP has been a part of that process and I appreciate the relationships I've formed along the way. The game itself becomes a punchline for a great story lived playing the game...

A couple years ago while playing with my brother in Colorado, we were on the tee box of a par 3 hole that sat adjacent to the roadway.... As my brother started his down swing a passing car laid on his horn which caused him to lose focus and top the ball into the hazard..... He looked at me as I was biting my lip to keep from laughing only to laugh out loud himself and confirm that he would do the same thing if he were driving by..... Its still funny to me to this day, but the best part about it is another memory of time spent with him....

Stemmy66;n8883836 said:
I would say that golf has impacted my life in a way I would never thought.... I have made lasting friends and strengthened bonds through the game of golf. THP has been a part of that process and I appreciate the relationships I've formed along the way. The game itself becomes a punchline for a great story lived playing the game...

A couple years ago while playing with my brother in Colorado, we were on the tee box of a par 3 hole that sat adjacent to the roadway.... As my brother started his down swing a passing car laid on his horn which caused him to lose focus and top the ball into the hazard..... He looked at me as I was biting my lip to keep from laughing only to laugh out loud himself and confirm that he would do the same thing if he were driving by..... Its still funny to me to this day, but the best part about it is another memory of time spent with him....

Man I would not have ever even tried biting my lip and suppressing it. I would have bust a gut right then and there.

I love the serenity and beauty of golf courses so just being able to experience that has been impactful for me.

Tee/Ski;n8884968 said:
I love the serenity and beauty of golf courses so just being able to experience that has been impactful for me.

Definitely a lot better then a city skyline or sitting inside all day in an office!

Back