Most of the courses in my area are walkable, so if I'm playing early AM or on a cool day I prefer to walk. However if it's a scorcher of a day and a midday round I will almost 100% of the time be taking a cart.

I walk the vast majority of my rounds. Typically only ride when there is a serious time crunch and I have to fly around the course, or more importantly when playing with a crap-ton of golfing friends.

I walk like 85% of my rounds. If it is really warm or tons of hills I don't. A few courses a year also don't have the option to walk. Home course is easy to walk

I prefer to play “proper” golf and walk. I’ll ride sometime during the week when I’m trying to get a bunch of holes in before dark. If I can sneak out around 4:00 I can walk 9 pretty easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I enjoy walking a lot so I will do it as much as I can and sometimes it reminds me how much I am out of shape! The hills at Pasatiempo and last weekend in VT (mainly on #11 for both) got my heart rate up.

brianmk24;n8884342 said:
I enjoy walking a lot so I will do it as much as I can and sometimes it reminds me how much I am out of shape! The hills at Pasatiempo and last weekend in VT (mainly on #11 for both) got my heart rate up.

I’m with this guy - walking > riding

I walk the majority of the time but I'm starting to enjoy riding more and more. I know I need the exercise but it's nice to just cruise around.

Walk fall, winter and spring in Louisiana. Ride any time my buddy wants to. I will not walk when I play during the summer, no way not gonna do it ever again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I prefer to walk to help slow me down unless the course is wide open, when taking a cart means I can play 36 in 5 hours or less.

Cart. It's much faster. Courses need to have a cart for each golfer with really wide tires so you can drive right up to the edge of the green without doing damage. Unfortunately, most courses aren't going to purchase and upkeep 3 times as many vehicles.

donny475;n8883131 said:
DO you walk or ride when you go to the course and why? I am a couple of weeks from 62 and i walk when i go play. I have a Bag Boy 4 wheel push cart for a lot of the year, when it gets to be summertime here in Texas i also have a remote controlled bag carrier that i use to make the heat more bearable...what do you do to enjoy the game and get some exercise?

I think there's a situation for both.

Lately I've been more enjoying taking a cart for a full 18. Means I get to connect with one of my playing partners for the round. When i walk, it seems more about myself.

I'm a walker through and through. I only take a cart when I need to, or when I'm part of an event where everyone is in a cart. I don't know why but there's something about rounds in carts that just prevents me from focusing on golf...perhaps that's a good thing sometimes.

Crazy not to ride when it's hot and humid. Still end up doing a bit of walking to, on, and back from the greens!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

pilot25;n8884428 said:
Cart. It's much faster. Courses need to have a cart for each golfer with really wide tires so you can drive right up to the edge of the green without doing damage. Unfortunately, most courses aren't going to purchase and upkeep 3 times as many vehicles.

I like to walk so that I can have the full bag at my disposal around the green without looking like I have a yard sale going on. Does it really take that much more time to walk ~10-20 yards from the cart path to the green and are you out of position from the group in front of you after that?

Canadan;n8884435 said:

Lately I've been more enjoying taking a cart for a full 18. Means I get to connect with one of my playing partners for the round. When i walk, it seems more about myself.

I can recognize the last part. I need a little more focus on my game than most people seem to need so I like a little bit of time to myself. I played as a twosome with a guy in a cart on Sunday and we had a really good time, although we waited a bit on the groups in front of us so there was time in the fairway to hang out together.

Our course does not come back to the clubhouse until #18. I would enjoy walking 9 but I don’t think I would want to walk 18 these days. So I ride my personal cart and listen to podcasts or music (not loud enough to annoy others)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Walking is more common here in the UK, I have only used a cart once over here, and a couple times whilst on holiday abroad

pilot25;n8884428 said:

Why does it have to come down to how fast you can get around a course?

Unless the course is not suitable for walking, I like to walk. I figure if I am going to be out playing golf for a few hours or more, I might as well get some physical benefit. When I am playing with a group of friends and nobody else is walking, I will conform and ride as well.

Ride 100% of the time. I get my exercise in a gym.

I've never encountered a walker or group of walkers that didn't slow us down. Most of the time we end up skipping the hole to get past them.

TheDoctor;n8884776 said:
Walking is more common here in the UK, I have only used a cart once over here, and a couple times whilst on holiday abroad

Why does it have to come down to how fast you can get around a course?

My wife is from Plymouth so I'm a little familiar with the difference in golf culture of walking vs. riding. I think the courses in the UK are set up very different. There are many courses here where the green to tee can be 100 meters easily. One course here in Maryland has the 9th hole finish and I think the distance to the 10th is easily 2 kilometers. If the courses weren't designed in the 1900's - 1940's or so then they may not be set up to walk. Many places I've played in the Mid-Atlantic region, of the US, won't even allow walking during peak times. Additionally, the biggest difference is, I don't think you get many 90+ degree days with high humidity. The fat bodies of Americans would be falling all over the course needing paramedics if everyone walked.

I don't know if slow play is a problem in the UK but at many public courses here on a Sat or Sun round is 5-6 hours. The selfish attitudes of the average person is really the problem despite what the golfing media is trying to make it out to be. Add walking to 5-6 hours and there isn't enough time in the day. I can't stand playing a 4 hour round with strangers let alone spending a full day on a weekend with them. So I avoid the long weekend days. Rather speed along in a cart during the week.

Last edited:
I find the game so much more enjoyable when I walk. That said, I will ride on courses that are really hilly and generally exhausting to hike.

Canadan;n8884435 said:

I hear what you say, but walking, i can stroll the fairway with any of the 4 guys i am playing with and have a conversation. there are advantages to both.

Ride please. I'll walk if it's required, but I work a physically demanding job 70+ hours a week this time of year. My knees have zero desire to put in more work during leisure time.

Walk.

I have walked (and carried) for 53 of my last 60 rounds. Only exceptions were Thanksgiving, 3 rounds in Charleston, and 3 rounds in Tahoe when I was riding with friends/family.

It's good exercise, and I really focus on my game more when I am walking.

This is in Texas, too, so very hot and my club course is very hilly. Just under 7 miles to walk 18.

Walk/push cart. Driving makes me feel disconnected from the game; but also, we have no hills and a fairly moderate climate here.

Back