Climbing the stairs at work and walking the golf course are about the only active thing I do so damn well better walk. I push cart it though. Up here we have a few mountain courses which won't let you out without a cart or at least advise against it so I ride those.

Tend to ride more when I golf on vacation (that one time).

Walk with trolley ... always. For me, buggies spoil the game ... walking is part of the appeal of golf.

People who say they carry their bag I'm curious how old you are. I used to carry all the time as a kid. Hauled lumber and shingles up and down ladders. Now have a permanent herniated disc problem after 30 years of doing stupid crap like that. I know you won't listen but use a hand cart. Your 40 year old self will thank you.

I recently ditched the cart in favor of walking with a push cart. I'm 43 and love good food and IPA's so I need all the help I can get keeping the pounds off. I actually enjoy taking on the hills and feeling like a got something out of my rounds of golf besides crappy scores! :drinks:

I walk 100% at league and the vast majority of rounds. I pretty much only ride on our annual guy's weekend where walking 36 out sometimes 45 holes on Saturday would kill me.

I think I stay focused when walking easier than when I'm riding.

I use a BagBoy Quad push cart. Carrying is hard on my back now that I'm almost 50.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I ride all the time. I've never played with someone who prefers to walk, so haven't experience that yet. Certainly not against it though.

I would love to be able to walk but since moving to the Dallas area I haven’t found many courses that are conducive to walking and many don’t even allow it or the greens fee includes cart with no discount for walking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CanaryKid;n8888986 said:
Walk with trolley ... always. For me, buggies spoil the game ... walking is part of the appeal of golf.

Walking is definitely part of the appeal of golf. But here in the USA, during the past 30 years, many courses have been built that were designed to be riding only, and walking is not an option. This is because of sometimes multi hundred yard distances from a hole's green to the next tee box.

DG_1234;n8889715 said:
Walking is definitely part of the appeal of golf. But here in the USA, during the past 30 years, many courses have been built that were designed to be riding only, and walking is not an option. This is because of sometimes multi hundred yard distances from a hole's green to the next tee box.

Yes, I know. I have played in the US and was once surprised to be told that I needed to have a buggy at one course. Since then, I check first to ensure that I can walk.

I walk for all of the nine hole muni’s I play, but will ride for 18 holes for the longer courses during peak times.

Sox_Fan;n8883711 said:
Walk all rounds unless it is a tournament or event where everybody else is riding.

That's pretty much my take as well. Given the choice, I'll walk. It's better exercise, I'll play better, much easier to get into a rhythm, etc.

Also - while I do enjoy the group I usually play with and I get the social aspects of golf, I'm an introvert at heart and I need "alone time" or I get worn out mentally. The rhythm of chatting on the tee boxes and greens with a break in between while I walk to my ball suits me pretty well.

Even if it's a tournament or event where everyone's riding I will still take the opportunity to walk when I can. I'll tell my partner to drive to their ball first, eyeball the distance of my shot, take 2 or 3 clubs and walk to my ball, or take my putter with me and meet up on the green.

Walk every day im on the course man, makes the 19th Hole a whole MUCH better when you got those cold ones with your mates.

TheDoctor;n8884776 said:
Walking is more common here in the UK, I have only used a cart once over here, and a couple times whilst on holiday abroad

Why does it have to come down to how fast you can get around a course?

I don't get that either. So many of the guys I play with talk about how much they love playing, but when they get to the course it's like a d@mn race or something, like they can't wait to be done.

I'm all for keeping pace with the group ahead, ready-golf, let's keep moving, etc, but I don't see why so many of my buddies are in such a hurry.

5150;n8890003 said:
That's pretty much my take as well. Given the choice, I'll walk. It's better exercise, I'll play better, much easier to get into a rhythm, etc.

Also - while I do enjoy the group I usually play with and I get the social aspects of golf, I'm an introvert at heart and I need "alone time" or I get worn out mentally. The rhythm of chatting on the tee boxes and greens with a break in between while I walk to my ball suits me pretty well.

Even if it's a tournament or event where everyone's riding I will still take the opportunity to walk when I can. I'll tell my partner to drive to their ball first, eyeball the distance of my shot, take 2 or 3 clubs and walk to my ball, or take my putter with me and meet up on the green.
The last 2 club championships I have played in I rode the first day and walked the second day. My scores on the second day were 4 shots better both times. I will be walking the whole thing next time I play in it.

On the occasions that I ride, I never drive and end of walking as much as riding. Just not the same as pushing my Clicgear for 18 holes though.

Sox_Fan;n8890044 said:
The last 2 club championships I have played in I rode the first day and walked the second day. My scores on the second day were 4 shots better both times. I will be walking the whole thing next time I play in it.

On the occasions that I ride, I never drive and end of walking as much as riding. Just not the same as pushing my Clicgear for 18 holes though.

I feel the same, I can walk and when i am getting close, I am looking at the yardage, distance, wind and everything else, as i am walking up. Riding, to fast and then i have to start figuring everything else....always shoot better walking

Sox_Fan;n8890044 said:

Yeah, I've seen that too in my game. I almost always walk during league unless the heat/humidity are off the charts.

Back