Why is GOLF so freaking addicting??

PKorf

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
0-10
IÂ’m hooked. IÂ’ve been hooked since I was about 12 years old. IÂ’ve had those fleeting moments when I thought IÂ’d give it up for a few months or even a year. But, I ALWAYS KEEP COMING BACK FOR MORE.

For me? I canÂ’t really pinpoint what it is that makes it so addicting. I think itÂ’s a plethora of things.....

Sports in general I love...
My dad loved it and itÂ’s our biggest bond...
Competition...
THP...
Fun...
Aggravation...
Laughs...
Trying to go be your best at something every time you play...
ThereÂ’s always someone better, which personally drives me to be better at it...
Camaraderie...
the friendships I have because of it...
It takes me away from lifeÂ’s BS for a few hours...
Gods beauty on a golf course...
Being outside...
ItÂ’s peaceful...
ItÂ’s maddening...
The engineering that goes into equipment (my dad was an engineer)...
You can play it till you die barring injuries...
HOLE IN FREAKING ONES!!!
The great golf apparel out there year to year...
Flat out defeating yourself one day and kicking your best scores ass the next...
It can be played all over the globe...
The PGA Tours...
High School golf...
LPGA Tours...
Arguably one of the greatest golfers ever was an Amateur (if ya donÂ’t know who it is, thatÂ’s your fault)...

ItÂ’s just a special part of my life that I hope never goes away or changes too much because itÂ’s one of the consistencies in my life I can count on every time I go play. Sometimes I suck. Sometimes I surprise myself. But, every single time is different and yet itÂ’s exactly the same. The company is always great and the relationships I have simply because of golf are a major part of why I am addicted.

IÂ’m kind of stuck with it and IÂ’m perfectly ok with that!

How about you? Why is it so damn addicting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

potential. it's as simple as that for me. the potential to hit the perfect shot. the potential to beat my personal best. the potential to be my best.

that's been the theme of every hobby/obsession i've had. i was that way with tennis, with guitar, and even with wine. the potential for perfection. it's almost like chasing a high.

Because it is a game that can't be beat, only played. But is a different challenge every time we play.

Honestly its a lot of things but the one that stands out to me is what golf has done for my family. My wife and I have very different interests and while she does not play golf, she absolutely loves to ride with my little boy and I while we play. Time spend with her and my little guy is the best part of my day any day and as long as I can see their smiles while we are out playing and it is something we can enjoy together, it will always be addictive to me.

McLovin;n8883140 said:
potential. it's as simple as that for me. the potential to hit the perfect shot. the potential to beat my personal best. the potential to be my best.

that's been the theme of every hobby/obsession i've had. i was that way with tennis, with guitar, and even with wine. the potential for perfection. it's almost like chasing a high.

There’s a bunch of this in my reasoning also love it

Stryker;n8883147 said:
Honestly its a lot of things but the one that stands out to me is what golf has done for my family. My wife and I have very different interests and while she does not play golf, she absolutely loves to ride with my little boy and I while we play. Time spend with her and my little guy is the best part of my day any day and as long as I can see their smiles while we are out playing and it is something we can enjoy together, it will always be addictive to me.

I personally think this will be the same for me as our family evolves

It's addicting to me because of the constant challenge and uniqueness in every round of golf. Not one round is the same as one before.

PKorf;n8883157 said:
I personally think this will be the same for me as our family evolves

And you know I can't wait for us to be talking about that more and more! I am almost as excited for you as I am for my own son!

As I already posted in another thread, it's that one good shot that we all dream hitting and the fun and laughs of playing with friends and family. You can play with four generations if you are lucky enough.

Agree with fuffle. I am searching for that one good shot. But more importantly to me, is to be able to repeat it.

I am a scratch bowler and since I have started back up with golf, I am obsessed with becoming consistent with my golf swing.

Because you can play the same course 5 days in a row and not have one similar shot in those 5 rounds. But two greats shots each of those rounds will have you going back for that feeling again and again and again.

I love the challenge it presents because each round is different. It's the only game I really have passion for anymore and even though I didn't seem to miss it then, those 8 years I took off in my 20's to play competitive softball... I really wish I had those years back.

Stryker;n8883170 said:
And you know I can't wait for us to be talking about that more and more! I am almost as excited for you as I am for my own son!

Thanks homie!

fuffle master;n8883184 said:
As I already posted in another thread, it's that one good shot that we all dream hitting and the fun and laughs of playing with friends and family. You can play with four generations if you are lucky enough.

It’s a pretty freaking special thing to be able to do that on many different levels

jdtox;n8883217 said:
I love the challenge it presents because each round is different. It's the only game I really have passion for anymore and even though I didn't seem to miss it then, those 8 years I took off in my 20's to play competitive softball... I really wish I had those years back.

You get those years back on the back end brother!!!! That’s one of the best parts!

mtcowdog;n8883219 said:
Haha. Vast, aesthetic landscapes, a shared experience, a strong personal connection to a set of tools, and a great challenge of skill, discipline, patience, and planning.

Love these too buddy! Glad to see ya back btw!

For me it's the chance to feel and see that great shot. The time you're in the rough, behind the bunker, and can't see the flag and stick it on the green.

For me its the one good shot....and obviously the company. Nothing better than sharing a round with some good peeps

Golf is the one game you can really never master/perfect. I think that constant ability to improve yourself makes it as addicting as it can be.

Golf triggers the same feelings as gambling for me. I love golf and I love gambling.

Here's the analogy. When I'm playing Blackjack, most of the time, I'm passing the same chips back and forth hand-after-hand and occasionally taking the major whooping. Then why do I play? Well, it's for that one shoe that can wipe out a whole weekend worth of losses - the perfect shoe where I cannot lose. When I'm playing golf, the majority of my game is controlling my misses. It can get extremely frustrating. Then why do I play? Well, it's for the half dozen perfect strikes of the ball that makes me feel like I am a master of this game - I cannot miss!

So golf and gambling are the same in that I play for the high that either the perfect shoe or the perfect shot gives me. I chase it. I crave it. I get pissed off and want to quit when it doesn't go my way. And no matter how many times I tell myself I'm not playing this stupid game again, I am back.

wubears71;n8883309 said:
Golf triggers the same feelings as gambling for me. I love golf and I love gambling.

Here's the analogy. When I'm playing Blackjack, most of the time, I'm passing the same chips back and forth hand-after-hand and occasionally taking the major whooping. Then why do I play? Well, it's for that one shoe that can wipe out a whole weekend worth of losses - the perfect shoe where I cannot lose. When I'm playing golf, the majority of my game is controlling my misses. It can get extremely frustrating. Then why do I play? Well, it's for the half dozen perfect strikes of the ball that makes me feel like I am a master of this game - I cannot miss!

So golf and gambling are the same in that I play for the high that either the perfect shoe or the perfect shot gives me. I chase it. I crave it. I get pissed off and want to quit when it doesn't go my way. And no matter how many times I tell myself I'm not playing this stupid game again, I am back.

Haha this had me laughing cause it’s really a perfect analogy.

cbaker2882;n8883299 said:
Golf is the one game you can really never master/perfect. I think that constant ability to improve yourself makes it as addicting as it can be.

Totally agree dude.

Lots of replies about it being "One shot, or one perfect shot, or trying to achieve perfection". #interesting

It’s the search for that personal best and the fact that the game of golf a game where only you can make yourself better.

Back