I Remember My First Time...

BigDill

2023 Morgan Cup - Team Hackers - Cobra Golf
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I have been thinking a lot today about how much my golf life has changed over the last 18 months. I went from having played less than 10 rounds in my life to logging close to 75 rounds since then. I have met dozens of awesome people who share a passion for this game, and learned more than I would have ever thought of about equipment. Basically, my last year has been a year of firsts. First time I broke 100 in a round. First time I dropped a putt over 25 feet. First time I attended a THP event. First time I traveled out of state with the sole purpose of playing golf.

For me, I think it was making my first sandy at the gathering back in March. I was playing with Sposey, TheChosen1 and his father and having a good but not great round. I find myself in the green side trap on 8, defeated that I am about to card a snowman if I cant get up and down. Hitting from the sand is by far my biggest weakness. Low and behold, I summon some sort of other worldly power and hit this perfect ball that lands about 3 feet out of the bunker onto the green and releases towards the cup. I swear it felt like I was watching it in slow motion. It rolled about 15 feet or so and PLUNK, dropped right into the cup as it was dying. Another foot or two and it would have been short I was excited, group was excited, and is a small moment that I will always remember.

Now, when I find myself in a short side trap, I remind myself of that shot and to just give the ball a chance, because you never know when lightning will strike twice.

What was your most memorable first time something happened to you related to the game of golf? I am sure you all have some great stories. Let's hear some!

Last edited:
My first birdie, I still have that ball. Hit a wedge from about 110 out and stuck it right next to the hole. Nice little tap in birdie.

first (and only) time i've shot even par. i can remember almost every shot from that round.

Mine would be my hole in one. 155 yard 8 iron that sucked back 5 feet right into the hole. Such a cool experience.

I could use at least 3 things here, but I am going to go with my 1st eagle (and only one) on a par 4. About 175 yards with a 5 iron to a tricky hole location. It was pure lucky of course, but I hit one of the best shots I have ever hit and was rewarded with a thrill that I had never had on the course before.

First and only eagle. I was playing by myself and i have no one who can verify, but I still remember how clean I hit that 3 wood into the par 5 and seeing the ball literally 5 feet from the pin. I also remember my knees shaking when I hit the putt and it lipped in. It was a long time ago and I've never gotten another since, but I've come close. That feeling was just incredible.

I remember the first time I played a "famous" course well, under my handicap, and with a single ball. Pinehurst gave me a slightly scuffed but otherwise great Bridgestone ball and I still have it.

Wait ... when I saw the title I was thinking something completely different. I distinctly remember that time as well :act-up:

First THP is event.

Still friends with a few of those guys to this day

I remember the first time I hit a par five in two shots. I was 230 out with a blind shot into the green, I hit a two iron just right and was thrilled to see it on the green.

OITW;n8884417 said:
First THP is event.

Still friends with a few of those guys to this day

I thought for sure you were going to go with the Morgan Cup MVP win. I thought that was pretty cool.

Got an eagle in probably my 10th round ever. Complete luck shot, but it’s things like that that keeps me wanting to continue getting better.

My first hole in one was 156 yard 7 iron in 2001. I was walking with a 50 something man and his mom. The whole way from the tee I was arguing with them that I saw it go in the hole and they were saying it rolled off the back. Kind of anti-climatic because they seemed disappointed that they were wrong when we got to the green.

First time I broke 70 is probably the one I remember the most. It was just me and my dad and he was at least as excited as I was.

Nappy;n8883443 said:
First and only eagle. I was playing by myself and i have no one who can verify, but I still remember how clean I hit that 3 wood into the par 5 and seeing the ball literally 5 feet from the pin. I also remember my knees shaking when I hit the putt and it lipped in. It was a long time ago and I've never gotten another since, but I've come close. That feeling was just incredible.

Game of honor, great eagle. Never understood why people need to verify good shots. Very few people lie about such things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two firsts of mine that really stand out to me.

My first time legit breaking 80. Playing the ball down, not giving myself putts, etc. not only did break 80 though, I shot a 77 with a double on 18 haha.
I was so relieved that I basically had no pressure to break 80, I hit a great drive leaving myself about 160 into the green. took a 6 just to swing smooth and make sure I get it to the green and two putt. well, i swung to lethargically and shanked it short right leaving me in thick rough to an elevated green with a bunker in between..... chunked it into the bunker, fluffed it out to about 5 feet and two putted for the double haha. I didn't even care. I had finally truly broken that hurdle.

The other first was my first eagle. Decent length par 5. Wind behind me on the tee box. bombed one out to about 280 leaving 220ish into the green. Wind flipped a little and was not off the left slightly into me. Took a 3 wood and hit a shot that just never left the pin, but was a pretty bad hit to be honest haha. Hit the rough inbetween the greenside bunker and the green and trickled onto the green leaving me an 8 footer for eagle. Not a lot of break, slightly left to right. Bingo rolled it in and it didnt really hit me until I was going to pick up the flag waiting for the rest of the group to putt out haha.

I remember the first time I shot even par. It was August 14, 2022. I remember it as if it were 3 years in the future.

Back