What tips or tricks have helped your golf game?

vdubtx

MC Team Paradise 2020
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Being a higher handicap golfer, I try to pick up on tips or tricks to work on with my game. I love hearing what tips or tricks that have helped others and then see if they can help me as well.

So, what are some of your best tips or tricks that helped you perform better in your game?

i think the best tip i've received in recent memory has been the swish drill. turn the club around so you're holding it just below the head (instead of the grip). make swings, trying to make the swish sound as loud as possible without hurting yourself or getting off balance. flip it back around to normal, and hit the golf ball trying to replicate that swish. it makes you release the club fully, instead of steering it.

High capper here too. I experimented with ball placement for my putter and that was helped quite a bit.

McLovin;n8883254 said:
i think the best tip i've received in recent memory has been the swish drill. turn the club around so you're holding it just below the head (instead of the grip). make swings, trying to make the swish sound as loud as possible without hurting yourself or getting off balance. flip it back around to normal, and hit the golf ball trying to replicate that swish. it makes you release the club fully, instead of steering it.

Interesting. I will have to give that a try. Thanks.

If you are slicing the ball, drop your right foot back just a bit (assuming right handed golfer) it will help you get inside to out.

off the tee swing faster. That doesnt mean swing out of your shoes, but you have more speed than you think. Just swing as fast and controlled as you can and let the ball get in the way.

around the greens using the "toe down" method with my irons/wedges. It gets the ball rolling quickly and when done properly can save your bacon from tricky lies or being short sided.

Laugh and move on.

In all seriousness, my instructor said everyone should play the red tees until they’re consistently breaking 75. I kind of stick with that thought process. When I was starting to hit drives around 200 yards, I figured I should move back - but she quickly told me not until I broke 75.

Now that I know more about the short game, I see why. I’m a better golfer because of it!

Snickerdog;n8883270 said:
If you are slicing the ball, drop your right foot back just a bit (assuming right handed golfer) it will help you get inside to out.

Thanks, will give this a try next time out.

mikeg_74 said:
off the tee swing faster. That doesnt mean swing out of your shoes, but you have more speed than you think. Just swing as fast and controlled as you can and let the ball get in the way.

around the greens using the "toe down" method with my irons/wedges. It gets the ball rolling quickly and when done properly can save your bacon from tricky lies or being short sided.
Will read up more on toe down. Thanks.

DucatiGirl said:
In all seriousness, my instructor said everyone should play the red tees until they’re consistently breaking 75. I kind of stick with that thought process. When I was starting to hit drives around 200 yards, I figured I should move back - but she quickly told me not until I broke 75.

I kind of do this as a result of playing with a couple guys of like skill level to me that play at the whites. I have previously played from Blue tees as some buddies played from there so I followed suit. I think playing from the whites is better suited for me at this point and not likely to move back to blues any time soon.

Reducing my swing thoughts to just one, courtesy of Fred Couples: "Light is right." (For the grip on the club.)

Practice: I place an old hotel room key in the bottom of my golf glove during range time. If my wrist bends backwards, I can feel the card dig in my wrist, forces me to know what it feels like and build muscle memory for the round.

Course: I treat each hole as par +1, and aim for +18 or better each round. When I get a bogey, it makes me realize it's not a bad thing and I am on track still.

I have never been able to hit the driver well, in fact I've rarely hit it average. At best I hit a fade, at worse a huge slice. I had a few lessons but none of them helped. I then saw a tip in a golf magazine and it has changed my game. Close my stance. I'm left-handed and I now set-up aiming to the left side of the fairway, about 11 o'clock. I still swing to hit it down the middle.

This has straightened up my shot and added 10-20 yards without actually changing my swing at all.

My every shot, including putting, tip is this:

Pick your intended line, then pick a spot a foot or two in front of your ball, on that line, and hit to that spot.

My best tip and trick - don't listen to tips and tricks.

Too much info out there that gets me all screwed up.

The best trick I have found, play more golf. Have to practice, but also play. Banging balls on the range is nice, but you need to take that time from the range and put it on the course.

Ive exhausted everyone of them that there is in the book and when i find one that actually works ill let ya know :)
Hopefully you wont be like me and some will work well for ya.

By far the best tip I have received was at the Odyssey Experience when Sean Toulon explained about the importance of being fit for a putter and where to place the ball for me individually to become more consistent.

I have putter better this year then any other year. My shots still stink, but my putting has improved considerably.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

have fun ;)

Back