Divots & Pitch Mark Repair on your course

Space Bandito

Baguette
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
2 Children
Lately, I assume as the golf season (if there is such a thing in CA) is in full swing I've noticed more and more that folks just don't repair their pitch marks on my normal rotational courses.

I know everyone here will say that they "always" repair, but do you? I won't judge if you let it slip every now and then.

Also I feel like everyone has a different approach. I used to use a two-pronged tool, starting at the hump side of the mark, and push inward, but then I saw a video of the greenskeeper at Pebble Beach showing how they do it, and it has changed my ways.

How do you repair a pitch mark?

do i always repair? no, not always. maybe 95% of the time, or even more. but i'd be lying if i said every time i've ever played golf i repaired every pitch mark.

I always fix my pitch marks and a few more if I have time. It's one of my biggest pet peeves on the course because its something that takes no time at all and can help the golfers coming behind you play the best conditions possible. I usually fix 4-5 marks a green every round.

pmm21;n8883386 said:
Lately, I assume as the golf season (if there is such a thing in CA) is in full swing I've noticed more and more that folks just don't repair their pitch marks on my normal rotational courses.

I know everyone here will say that they "always" repair, but do you? I won't judge if you let it slip every now and then.

Also I feel like everyone has a different approach. I used to use a two-pronged tool, starting at the hump side of the mark, and push inward, but then I saw a video of the greenskeeper at Pebble Beach showing how they do it, and it has changed my ways.

How do you repair a pitch mark?

I fix about 140% of the divots I make. So basically, I fix mine, and then typically fix any more than I see within a reasonable timeframe.

To fix, I use a pitchFix. Push inward and twist very slightly.

Canadan;n8883446 said:
I fix about 140% of the divots I make. So basically, I fix mine, and then typically fix any more than I see within a reasonable timeframe.

To fix, I use a pitchFix. Push inward and twist very slightly.

So you use the twist method? Does that not tear up the roots?

I am pretty consistent about it. In all honesty I try to subscribe to the fix mine and at least one other on every green. Especially on my home course. I mean I play there most why wouldn't I want it in as good a shape as possible all the time.

I will always try to find mine if possible and fix a few others. There are times I just can't see them or find them.

pmm21;n8883450 said:
So you use the twist method? Does that not tear up the roots?

Great question. With how narrow the pitchfix is, I've always looked at it as a subtle separation not unlike an aeration.

I always look for my mark and fix any others that I see. As the greens get drier in the Texas heat it can be difficult to find your ball mark. I will search for about 20 or 30 seconds and move on. Can you post a link to the video Peter?

badolds;n8883467 said:
I always look for my mark and fix any others that I see.

This is exactly what I do. I think its common courtesy. That said, I usually only have to fix 1 or 2 of my own makes a round, so its not that much work.

And while on the topic, I also wish people would (1) be more careful about removing the ball from the cup if you leave the pin in when putting so the lip doesn't get damaged, and (2) stop dragging their feet on the green creating these "fish scale" patches.

When I leave a pitch mark, I'll fix it. Most of my shots nowadays don't leave a mark - long approaches bounce on, and short approaches don't "dig in" enough to break the grass on the green more than 50% of the time.

I fix everyone I can find and usually 2 - 3 others on almost all greens. I use a plastic single prong repair tool.

badolds;n8883467 said:
I always look for my mark and fix any others that I see. As the greens get drier in the Texas heat it can be difficult to find your ball mark. I will search for about 20 or 30 seconds and move on.

This for me as well. Getting harder and harder to find pitch marks as we're in the middle of this heat wave.

I will look for where I think my ball landed and try to find/fix it plus any others around me without holding the group up. Use two prong tool by inserting and pushing forward, then a nice tap down to even out. Can't say I remember 100% of the time, but do it as often as possible.

NullNomad;n8883722 said:
This for me as well. Getting harder and harder to find pitch marks as we're in the middle of this heat wave.

I often wonder on super hard, dry greens if you do more damage than good when repairing the marks that do turn up. It just feels like you're instantly killing the grass.

pmm21;n8883851 said:
I often wonder on super hard, dry greens if you do more damage than good when repairing the marks that do turn up. It just feels like you're instantly killing the grass.

I've certainly made some judgment calls on a few because of that... which bothers my OCD

Back