Would you support a caddie program at your club/course?

Parrot

Down to the banana republics . . .
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Having just watched Looper, I've been thinking about whether caddie programs could be implemented where none have existed and to what degree golfers might help out to sustain the program.

Would you forego a cart to hire a young man or woman carry a bag or push a cart to help that person learn to caddie to earn some money and to learn more about the game?

Would you support it in some other way to show the game can be inclusive to most everyone and generate interest in those who wouldn't ordinarily be exposed to the game?

Would one help organize a push to try and convince the decision maker(s) that it could be in the clubs best interest in the long run to have more golfers? Difficult job when you are potentially threatening a very large revenue source.

Maybe it’s limited to a day or two, or even an afternoon or two in the beginning. Have a caddie day or afternoon. No Baby Ruth jokes, please.

Or does nothing need to be done to pull in those who might not have any other chance to learn about golf? Is golf just fine as it is?

absolutely i would support a caddie program. It's shame we dont see more of them around. I think being a caddie helps kids get exposed to the game and at the same time enhances the golf experience IMO. I know many are in a rush to play or have other things going on so a caddies might slow them down, but I think if you have time to loop 18 in 4hours or so a caddie would be a value add.

There's not a chance it would ever happen at my course because the pro gets a cut of the cart fees, but I would definitely support a caddie program.

honestly it depends. if it added more cost with the fee and tip, no, i wouldn't do it.

The last thing I need is someone else out there with me laughing at my game :laughing:

No, I'm not interested in hiring someone to replace my push cart. Would be a total waste of my money and his time.

I'm more interested in caddies at resort/destination courses. Places where people don't play regularly. Course knowledge and the feeling of assistance would be very welcomed. At my home courses, I don't really see the need

At a local muni? No definitely not. I don't think the associated cost would be worth it for what it costs to play. I'm not always looking to spend a ton of money when I go play a round. Most private courses around here do offer a caddie program I think? but have never been a member at a private course only have played a few and never with a caddie.

I would love to say yes, but I doubt I would use a caddie. I like driving the cart and I would expect the golf club would charge the same with or without the cart. Therefore, the price of golf would increase dramatically in my area

Maybe for resort/destination courses as mentioned above, but I'd say no for my home club. Even when it comes to new courses I'd rather see them provide images of the course hole layouts or a yardage book.

I would support that and think it would be a great option for a golf course to have. If i ever get to play at a place that has a caddie i am for sure going to do that!

Not something I'd do all the time, but I'd be happy to support a program at a local course if they implemented it.

I would not. I think the game is already pretty expensive and this would just add to the cost.

I’m a bit torn on the discussion. So often, I’m trying to play an inexpensive round. But I also am in favor of the caddie programs that can help so many kids. I think as long as it’s optional at the course, I’d probably try to do it every so often.

Yes, yes, and yes. I don't think I'd find many other supporters in my little area though, and I don't think our limited golfing economy could sustain it very well.

It just wouldn't work at 95% of courses.

Holy yes I would. We were one of the local courses that refused to add caddies when a company came to town to offer it. I would love a program like this

zbeekner4;n8884147 said:
I’m a bit torn on the discussion. So often, I’m trying to play an inexpensive round. But I also am in favor of the caddie programs that can help so many kids. I think as long as it’s optional at the course, I’d probably try to do it every so often.

Unless it it truly a high end public course, it would have to be optional. Making it mandatory would kill the idea before it could be discussed. I think players being willing to do it once in a while is crucial.

bigskyirish;n8883423 said:
There's not a chance it would ever happen at my course because the pro gets a cut of the cart fees, but I would definitely support a caddie program.

I think this is one of the two biggest hurdles in even getting the idea past the discussion stage. I think you'd have to start small. A partial day trial run every few weeks.

McLovin;n8883431 said:
honestly it depends. if it added more cost with the fee and tip, no, i wouldn't do it.

fuffle master;n8883535 said:
I would love to say yes, but I doubt I would use a caddie. I like driving the cart and I would expect the golf club would charge the same with or without the cart. Therefore, the price of golf would increase dramatically in my area

Tee/Ski;n8884140 said:
I would not. I think the game is already pretty expensive and this would just add to the cost.

Cost is the biggest issue facing almost every facet of any effort to try and grow the game. It is certainly a large consideration with an idea like this one. But it presents us avid golfers with the question of what are we willing to to do to make the game more accessible, better and bring more people to it. Curing slow play may cut back on people leaving the game but it isn't going to bring a sizable influx of players to the game. So, how do you introduce new players to the game? I think you start young. Plant the seed. Find a way (not just this small idea) to present the game in a manner that allows them to learn the game from the ground up, so to speak. Most of us have spoken about the loss of the social grace and etiquette of the game, or players not knowing the rules. To me, this is one way that might have a chance to get a toehold, if given the chance.

Would y'all do it once a month? Would you support the start of a program in some other way? Would you help raise money for it?

pmm21;n8883455 said:
I'm more interested in caddies at resort/destination courses. Places where people don't play regularly. Course knowledge and the feeling of assistance would be very welcomed. At my home courses, I don't really see the need

jdtox;n8883461 said:
At a local muni? No definitely not. I don't think the associated cost would be worth it for what it costs to play. I'm not always looking to spend a ton of money when I go play a round. Most private courses around here do offer a caddie program I think? but have never been a member at a private course only have played a few and never with a caddie.

Giving it a chance at public courses is the key in my mind. Some courses would be more suited to it than others. I think resort, destination or even middle-of-the-road to high end daily fee courses could do it but it would take a sustained push. Baby steps. Perhaps then it would spread.

It's undeniable that we all love golf and what it to thrive. For that to happen, new people have to come to the game. Introducing some to the game this way could be a start.

Perhaps there is a different twist on this. In places (cities/towns/groups/churches/etc) with mentoring programs for young people, if you were involved, would you invite them to join you for an afternoon on the course? Would you help that person learn the game?

For me the cost is a total non-starter, I couldn't possibly afford to spend $100 a round to play golf 130 times year.

But if I were rich or if the caddie were free I'd still not want one. With a couple exceptions under special circumstances, every caddie I've ever used has been more of a distraction than a help. I simply do not want to be waiting on anyone or talking to anyone or having anyone "do stuff for me" when I'm playing golf.

Too complicated, especially if you're in a foursome and there are three other golfers plus a couple caddies to deal with every stinkin' minute of a 4-hour round. Foursomes like that feel more like a day at work than a relaxing time away from things on the golf course.

Probably not honestly. I am too cheap and would keep pushing my own bag. Would rather have that option than riding in a cart when playing courses besides my home course though.

Many of the private clubs around me have caddie programs. Unfortunately, they are seldom used and fail. Most just want to take a cart.

I feel exactly the same about caddies and carts. I know some people like them and that's fine for them. For me either totally spoils the game. So I just play courses where I can walk and put my bag on my trolley.

If I could get a Caddie and a Cart included in a decent price I would. I hate walking, so that would be a deal breaker if I had to. Here's my idea: Most of the courses I play at have 4-5 cart "boys" at any given time. They are cleaning carts and clubs....then standing around. Why not employee a couple more of those types, but add the option to take them on the course as a caddie? Our cart fees are usually $10-$20.....Make it $30 to take a cart and Caddie. The kid will make money in tips and the course gets a couple extra bucks.

Et Tu Brute?;n8885008 said:
For me the cost is a total non-starter, I couldn't possibly afford to spend $100 a round to play golf 130 times year.

But if I were rich or if the caddie were free I'd still not want one. With a couple exceptions under special circumstances, every caddie I've ever used has been more of a distraction than a help. I simply do not want to be waiting on anyone or talking to anyone or having anyone "do stuff for me" when I'm playing golf.

Too complicated, especially if you're in a foursome and there are three other golfers plus a couple caddies to deal with every stinkin' minute of a 4-hour round. Foursomes like that feel more like a day at work than a relaxing time away from things on the golf course.

It's not something everyone would want to do, I get that. Not everyone wants to ride a cart or walk. I don't envision it being $100 a pop and certainly wouldn't expect players to do it every single round. Not every course would be a suitable home for something like this. The course I play is most likely not one.

I haven't had the time to delve into the details of how other clubs have started and maintain a program. I'm hopeful there is a way to do something like this could get started and lead more young people to the game. Even if it's limited to certain times and the loop is, for discussion's sake (and I don't know if is realistic), $20 bucks a bag and the chance to use the range (and then the course), I think there is a way to do it and for us, as golfers, to help the next generation of players find the game.

Parrot;n8884995 said:
I think you start young. Plant the seed. [/B]

in my humble opinion, i don't think a kid, especially these days with so many other options to catch their attention, is going to be interested in a caddie program unless he's already interested in golf. so i don't think this would attract people to the game; they're already attracted to the game to consider this.

Back