Rules question - hitting ball on green

OGputtnfool

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm curious. I played with a foursome that I got paired up with a few days ago. We all played together well. We were doing the ready golf thing and putting when we could without hindering others. On one occasion, one of the other guys and I putted our balls at nearly the same time and they passed within inches of each other near the hole. Now, I know the RoG say that if you hit another ball after making a stroke on the green, it's a (2 stroke) penalty. My question, who would be penalized in this instance? The person nearest the hole since they (technically) played out of turn? How would the balls be played? Replace one or both at point of impact? Replace one and play the other as it lies?

Does no one really have a guess on this?

See there is this rule ... But it says "Ball at Rest" on the putting green.

Exception – Ball Played on Putting Green in Stroke Play: If your ball in motion hits another ball at rest on the putting green and both balls were on the putting green before your stroke, you get the general penalty (two penalty strokes).

I don't think they take into account for "Ready golf" in the Official Rules of Golf.

Back