Close but no cigar

gonyr

Reaction score
Handicap
20+
The hole in one thread got me thinking, for those of us (I'm guessing the majority of people) that have never had a hole in one or an albatross, which have you been closer to achieving?

I would think this is unusual, but for me, it's the albatross. I've never been closer than about 6 or 8 feet to a hole in one. But I once hit a 3-wood from a bare spot in the rough for my second shot on a par 5 and hit the pin about 6 inches up on one bounce. You'd think an eagle, or at least a birdie came out of that, right? Nope - it clipped the pin at an angle, changed direction to the right and ended up a few feet off the green. I chipped on and 3-putted for one of the most painful bogeys of my life.

Albatroos, I just missed it last year by 6 inches on a par 5. I have my HIO

HIO, closest was a foggy morning when I was in high school with my dad, saw the ball go up but never landed. We were first on the course, so the green wasn't used yet and everyone after us could see our footsteps and where the ball rolled. It rolled past the hole within a ball's width.

Hole in one was the closest for me, missed it by about 8 inches. VERY soft green and the ball just stopped where it landed. The funny thing was my mind didn't go directly to how close I was for an ace, it went right to "hell yea a shot at birdie baby!!"

albatross. i thinned a 3w that ran forever and just skirted the hole for a 2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I hit a hole in one that did not count. I was playing night golf on a lighted par three course. I hit one OB then reteed and hit a perfect shot right in the hole. When I told the pro in the clubhouse about my achievement he informed me that it did not count. He gave me a beer and a pat on the back.

simply by default of all the years playing, I have lipped out a 185 yrd HIO and also another about 150-ish. Ive also landed balls to tap in distance a number of times from various yardages. But never did a HIO fall for me. Honestly I dont even care. I just wqant to play this game better and lower the cap.

Hole in ones hanging on the lip, an albatross hanging on the lip. I’m still hopeful though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’ve come closer to a hole in one than I have an albatross. I also have a picture of both...the first one was about a 190 par 3. The second was about 200 out on a par 5.

ac12493be60639718b4abd33b9b1f9d3.jpg

6429ea1c2b535b3411793e2cbd6d235c.jpg

I got close a few weeks ago. 142 yard par-3 and ball was rolling towards the hole, but stopped about 5 inches short of the cup!! (Never has a HIO either)

I don't have any valid proof, but I'm pretty sure I was inches away from a HIO on a par 4 last year. A strong tail wind saw me carry my driver a ridiculous distance. Based on where my divot was on the green and where the ball ended up, I had to have gone over the edge or dang close.

These are closet I have ever been

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1566520456.1143.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1566520456.1143.jpg
    533.6 KB · Views: 0
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1566520456.3473.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1566520456.3473.jpg
    580.7 KB · Views: 0
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1566520456.5944.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1566520456.5944.jpg
    736 KB · Views: 0
For all of you that got close, especially those with the pictures, can we safely assume you made the putts?

Back