Thoughts about Topgolf and Driveshack? Future or a Fad? Can they spark the golf bug?

fuffle master

5150 Lunatic Fringe 22’ GRANDADDY
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I am leaving for Vegas in a couple of weeks for our fantasy football draft and thought it would be cool to see what Topgolf was like. To my surprise, the place is virtually booked solid every day. I do think places like Topgolf and Driveshack are very interesting and will make golf for the non-golfer and weekly golfer a very enjoyable experience. I also think this is a fantastic way to introduce both women and young people into the golf world. True, at night I am thinking many of the Topgolf and Driveshack places are more party and fun than about golf. But like going to a pub and sitting there talking we can actually play a little game.

So what are your thoughts on these off-course type of places? Are they going to be more prevalent in the future or more of a fad? Do they have the ability to bring non-course players into the golf world or simply a gimmick for an evening of fun and not able to spark that golf bug to an individual?

Topgolf outing with co workers got me back in the game. Now instead of once a month going to top golf we have all gotten clubs and hitting an executive course for an afternoon round.

Topgolf is not golf, so no, I think it's a great idea and am not surprised it's very popular, but doubt even 1% of people that have never played walk out of Topgolf thinking about taking up the game.

I do think there will be a Topgolf in every city in the future though, people love it, and maybe that's the future for the club and ball? or screen golf? quite possibly.

i think they're great. but i don't think they're sustainable. the footprint is enormous. the number of people on staff is staggering. you have to sell a ton of food and drink to cover those costs, because the golf while not inexpensive will never break even.

I don't think you'll see a ton of these around the country, but I think they're a great idea. Love the concept, but not sure many people will take up the game just because of that.

I really, really dislike the balls at Top Golf. Am I alone in that?

The two locations within 30 minutes of each other here in Miami are always packed.

MrDC;n8883715 said:
Topgolf is not golf, so no, I think it's a great idea and am not surprised it's very popular, but doubt even 1% of people that have never played walk out of Topgolf thinking about taking up the game.

I do think there will be a Topgolf in every city in the future though, people love it, and maybe that's the future for the club and ball? or screen golf? quite possibly.

I don't know. I think it has a big potential to bring new people to the game with it's non-traditional platform. I have never been and would like to try it. But, it doesn't sound like something I would do on a regular basis.

The top deck is fun for new golfers because even a grounder will go a good way out there. My wife does not play golf but had a blast hitting balls there.

As a golfer I am not a fan of either. However as a drinker, I love both. As long as the places continue to create a happening atmosphere they will succeed. Heck, the top golf in Vegas is definitely a place where the Golf is secondary.

Top golf is fun and a great place to take the family. It does not take 4 hours to complete they have great food and drinks and it is something different to do for people who normally do not golf. I don't see it going away anytime soon.

I love TopGolf. A group of us go at least once a month on Sunday Mornings (cheap time to play). We see a wide variety of people there, couples, families, guys on a golf trip. I know of 3 people that have gotten interested in golf by going to TopGolf. Here in golf country I can see it being a big hit.

Could not hurt.

As long as real estate outpaces course revenue, TopGolf and the like will be the future of golf.

I think it’s a good way to introduce people to the game. The concept is more social interactions that actual swing mechanics and I think scratches the golf itch for those that don’t have time or don’t want to golf on a real course.

Is it sustainable, I think it is if they wouldn’t have 3 in most large cities and booked solid at peak hours.

Topgolf is growing in the DC area. I drive past one in VA quite often and it's always busy. They are building another in MD near the beltway.

I guess it's success depends on the demographic. Probably being near big cities is where they will do well.

I was going to my local TopGolf back home 15 or so years ago, so not sure I’d ever describe it as a fad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TopGolf is so much fun. A few of us were talking again about going and the other three participants in the conversation are not golfers by any stretch of the imagination. I think that it's sustainable as long as there isn't a venue in every small town.

Back