Do you consider playing golf part of your fitness regimen?

Stemmy66

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Not sure how THPers see this one, but I don't consider playing a round of golf as part of my fitness regimen. Certainly, there is a benefit to walking and the time spent playing is a physical activity, but is it a form of a workout?
I recently played in Lake Tahoe with several THPers and I have to admit that even using a cart there were times I was out of breathe needing to walk to my ball because of CPO or just being out of position on the other side of the fairway from my cartner. Being at elevation and the up and down of the course made it a challenge at times, but this isn't the norm for the courses I typically play.

Rarely do I walk a round of golf. I have knee issues that keep me from carrying my bag or using a pull cart and limit the type of cardio I normally do. I have a pedometer I use often when I play and I will still typically walk 8-10k in steps while on the course despite using a cart, but that does little to get my heart rate up consistently. Similarly, the courses in my area don't have a lot of elevation changes so even when CPO or walking from shot to shot, the little walking done doesn't cause much exertion.

Is golf part of your fitness routine? What say you?

I Golf complements my fitness routine but I definitely do not rely on it. High intensity cardio, running, weightlifting and other high intensity workouts get me going. Golf is a great way to supplement my normal workouts.

It better be, because there ain't much else in it.

Just as a calorie burn, not to improve fitness or strength. I walk a few rounds or about 20+ miles per week on the golf course. My fitness routine is weights 3-4 days a week along with cycling or paddling a few days for my cardio workout.

Not as much this time of year although I do work up a really good sweat in this brutal humidity whether I am playing a round or out on the range. I do walk more when the weather is cool though and I do play year round. I like to walk for the exercise of course but it also keeps my body temperature up and keeps me loose when its cold out. I am not sure I would consider it a cardio workout even when walking though. I mean I am not going to run between shots to really get my heart rate up but I still consider it to be part of a fitness routine regardless of whether I am walking, riding in a cart, or hitting balls on the range. If nothing else it helps for flexibility and range of motion.

It is my fitness routine. Average walking 18 five rounds per week.

Haha.......yes. Yes i do Stemmy

Walking and carrying your golf clubs for 18 holes burns 1400 to 1500 calories. I walk and carry 3 times per week and certainly feel like this is an important part of my overall fitness regimen. I like it a lot better than running 3 miles in 30 minutes which I used to do 3 times per week with about 300 calories burned each time.

PKorf;n8883860 said:
Haha.......yes. Yes i do Stemmy

Doing 12OZ curls while on the golf course is considered a form of fitness for some.... :angel:

Sox_Fan;n8883852 said:
It is my fitness routine. Average walking 18 five rounds per week.

Sox, aren't you semi-retired? By the time I get there I'm hopeful I can still walk on my own!

tahoebum;n8883821 said:
Just as a calorie burn, not to improve fitness or strength. I walk a few rounds or about 20+ miles per week on the golf course. My fitness routine is weights 3-4 days a week along with cycling or paddling a few days for my cardio workout.

Get the cycling/paddling in while you can.... Winter is coming to MN so you'll have to resort to X-country skiing or get to your summer spot in FL! Son is headed to MN for the start of jr. year at Carleton.... he's hoping for a mild winter

wubears71;n8883815 said:
I Golf complements my fitness routine but I definitely do not rely on it. High intensity cardio, running, weightlifting and other high intensity workouts get me going. Golf is a great way to supplement my normal workouts.

I think I pulled a muscle reading your response.... I workout fairly regularly, but HI workout is well in my past.

not at all, although i am often sore after a round lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Stemmy66;n8884015 said:
Sox, aren't you semi-retired? By the time I get there I'm hopeful I can still walk on my own!
Fully retired. For now at least...haha.

I do to an extent since I've been walking more this year.

I don't consider it part of my fitness routine, but I have added exercises to my Pilates routines to support my golf.

mikedean441;n8884056 said:
I do to an extent since I've been walking more this year.

Leaner, meaner Mike!

So you’d say walking the course is significant enough to also be called a workout and be apart of a consistent regimen? What about in the winter or time away, what becomes the substitute?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stemmy66;n8884021 said:
Get the cycling/paddling in while you can.... Winter is coming to MN so you'll have to resort to X-country skiing or get to your summer spot in FL! Son is headed to MN for the start of jr. year at Carleton.... he's hoping for a mild winter

Lol! I have a daughter who’s on the high school Nordic ski team so I’ll definitely be out with her as soon as it snows. For now it’s still boating season with high 70’s and sunshine the next 5 day. As you know, my son is just a couple miles away from Carleton at St. Olaf and graduates next May.

For sure! If it weren't for golf.... I don't know that I do any other exercise.

Stemmy66;n8884072 said:
Leaner, meaner Mike!

So you�d say walking the course is significant enough to also be called a workout and be apart of a consistent regimen? What about in the winter or time away, what becomes the substitute?

For me it is. 18 holes at my course is about 18,000 steps (and I can't recall how many miles that has averaged).
It's helped maintain the weight loss I went through without having to do the workouts at home. Most full rounds it's a 2-3 lb weight loss give or take. Obviously some of that goes out the window depending on how I eat after lol

Come winter time I'll go back to indoor cardio workouts since I still don't have a treadmill or peloton.

tahoebum;n8884248 said:
Lol! I have a daughter who’s on the high school Nordic ski team so I’ll definitely be out with her as soon as it snows. For now it’s still boating season with high 70’s and sunshine the next 5 day. As you know, my son is just a couple miles away from Carleton at St. Olaf and graduates next May.

Yeah, my son ventures that mile that separates the colleges to crash the cafeteria at St. Olaf from time to time... apparently the food is better there.... my wife is a St. Olaf alumni but resists return in the winter months, not sure why...

Daily Fitness Routine Non Golf Days
  • Wake up have coffee/breakfast, take a hot shower and make enough noise so my wife knows I’m still alive. That’s stretching reaching for soap and shampoo.
  • Wake up the kiddo, prepare breakfast, pick him up and carry him to the room, get him ready for school. That’s weightlifting and cardio.
  • Throw toys to the dogs during the day while working. Upper body workout......yup
  • Pick up kiddo after school, he chases me around the house and yard. More cardio and lower body workout.
  • Bath/ shower time for kiddo, good core workout leaning over tub chasing him with a wash cloth.
  • More dog toys tossed. Promotes good shoulder turn.
  • Add some odds and ends around the house during the day. Full body workout complete, repeat daily.
For golf days it’s more cardio, inclines, declines, side hill, under tree branch punch shots, commonly referred to as golf CrossFit minus the running and riding in a cart. Plus the above, with anti inflammatory and or pain meds for supplements.

Healthy......yes
fit.........kinda
have time and pain free for more strenuous activities........negative ghost rider, pattern is full.

When allowed to carry I usually do. Golf is a big part of my fitness regimen and the primary reason why I try to stay in shape....

Yes, it is part of my fitness routine. I walk and carry on a hilly course.

Back