Do you consider playing golf part of your fitness regimen?

GolfTravelDude;n8884297 said:
When allowed to carry I usually do. Golf is a big part of my fitness regimen and the primary reason why I try to stay in shape....

I do consider round as a shape

When you say allowed to carry, do you mean not all courses you play allow walkers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I’m walking, yes. But I will still do gym/classes/cardio etc.

I vote yes and walk the majority of my rounds.

Back to back days of this, plus 200-300 swings, definitely qualifies as a workout.

d3435cd5485ca85c9fa65ce48180a454.jpg

If it doesn’t kill you, then it will make you stronger.

I do not. Golf is a pleasant break from the unrelenting workout that is the rest of my life.

Stemmy66;n8884315 said:
I do consider round as a shape

When you say allowed to carry, do you mean not all courses you play allow walkers?

I do get around and play different places. Many I play restrict walking to certain times and members. Many courses which have big distances from greens to next tees restrict walkers...Many in Florida. So this year I have posted 52 rounds so far and my guess is I have carried about 30. 52 rounds...8 states and 2 other countries.

I walk as much as I can and that's about the extent of my regimen right now.

Yes, but indirectly. I walk with a push cart, and though it's a decent workout, I play infrequently enough that I can't rely on it as my sole workout. But I do other workouts (swimming mostly) just so I can play golf better, and I'm not sure I'd do those if I didn't play golf.

A minor part, yes. I work out at the gym about 3 times a week. When I play golf I walk and carry. Even though I am retirement age. It's not that walking, carrying and playing a round is used to get in shape. It's more medicinal as a way to work out any soreness from workouts in the gym. I'm a pretty high activity guy. I run up any staircase I encounter, play basketball once a week, practice at the range three times a week, play 18 to 32 holes a week on average, and my day job takes me all over a six-building campus, including under desks, on ladders, etcetera. At home, I do an extensive amount of yard work, home remodeling, and maintenance.

I would consider these other things besides the gym work similar to how I view golf. While I consider them a minor part of my fitness regime, they do contribute something. More than that my fitness regime along with good nutrition provides the functionality to do all the other activities.

I see golf more as something that benefits from my fitness routine than part of my fitness routine.

Rely more on rock climbing, cycling, running for exercise. Looking at my heart rate during even walking rounds, it barely moves out of the warmup zone.

Definitely not. I almost never walk any further than from the car to the pro shop to check in. The only thing I do that's real exercise is ice hockey.

Absolutely, I walk 99% of my rounds so basically I’m walking around 30 miles a week and the course is not flat so I get a lot of up and down. Otherwise I don’t have time to go to the gym or anything else other than gardening around the house so golfing is definitely my fitness routine.

Stemmy66;n8883804 said:
Not sure how THPers see this one, but I don't consider playing a round of golf as part of my fitness regimen. Certainly, there is a benefit to walking and the time spent playing is a physical activity, but is it a form of a workout?
I recently played in Lake Tahoe with several THPers and I have to admit that even using a cart there were times I was out of breathe needing to walk to my ball because of CPO or just being out of position on the other side of the fairway from my cartner. Being at elevation and the up and down of the course made it a challenge at times, but this isn't the norm for the courses I typically play.

Rarely do I walk a round of golf. I have knee issues that keep me from carrying my bag or using a pull cart and limit the type of cardio I normally do. I have a pedometer I use often when I play and I will still typically walk 8-10k in steps while on the course despite using a cart, but that does little to get my heart rate up consistently. Similarly, the courses in my area don't have a lot of elevation changes so even when CPO or walking from shot to shot, the little walking done doesn't cause much exertion.

Is golf part of your fitness routine? What say you?

It depends. If I’m riding and drinking then absolutely not.

But there are times when I choose to walk and carry my bag with the fitness aspect in mind.

So I guess Yes and No!

Golf IS my workout! That's it. Except for 12 oz at a time while sitting on the couch. That's considered fitness too, right?

I ride all of my rounds, so I don't consider it. Maybe if I walked carrying or pushing my clubs. My GPS watch would differ based on the steps I take.

With the stopping and starting of a golf round, it doesn't do much for cardio. But, it does burn calories. I ride in a cart most often now in the summer as it is too hot to walk and the distance from green to tee is long at the course I regularly play. I have a hard enough time keeping hydrated while riding in a cart let alone walking while carrying a bag.

I workout 4-6 days a week (6 through the winter, 4 when summer hits) and during the summer I walk nearly 100% of my rounds of golf. So I do consider it to some minor degree part of my routine.

It's a bigger part of it now than in the past when I was younger and much more active. I still prefer to walk courses if possible but I'm nowhere near the workout zealot I used to be.

No, golf is not a fitness activity.

I always ride.

Walking is great exercise but my frequency of play is not enough to call it a workout. I think of it as bonus just like taking the dog on a long walk.

golfinnut;n8885611 said:
Golf IS my workout! That's it. Except for 12 oz at a time while sitting on the couch. That's considered fitness too, right?

Absolutely.... there is effort required to overcome gravity in getting off the couch, walking to the refrigerator and selecting the next beverage... so both mental and physical exertion

Daddio;n8885730 said:
It's a bigger part of it now than in the past when I was younger and much more active. I still prefer to walk courses if possible but I'm nowhere near the workout zealot I used to be.

I am certainly in the same boat... workout is becoming a curse word to me the older I get.

Back