Have you played a round leaving the driver in the bag?

Yes I went a few years never having a driver in my bag, mainly because the one from my dad was not a good fit and I never went to get fit for one because I was fine with what I could do off the tee with a 3w and 5w, so I didn't really think of what I was missing out on. Now with having a fitted driver and the latest tech, I am finding places in fairway I have never been before. With that my misses are sometimes farther away too! Makes the round more fun hitting those bombs, but I do wonder what a round without the driver would look like again.

Yes, but usually just when I'm playing from the forward tees with my son.

From my normal tees I will usually only hit driver a few times a round anyway. Most holes are 3 wood or 3 iron off the tee for me.

Yes ... on Par 3 courses :act-up:

Yes, I can smash my 2 iron, and it is a fairway finder. Probably 50 yards short of driver length, but out there enough to shoot good golf.

Played 4 rounds in MB last year after having to leave my driver home! A buddy lent me his hard case for the airline trip and it was so old my driver wouldn't fit.. Played fine with the 3 wood, not really any difference in scoring and I don't play from the tips anyway. Shot a 90 for my best round, the others were my usual low to mid 100's.

Bunker Snot;n8883983 said:
How'd the score turn out?

I broke a hundred but not by much lol. I was really having trouble hitting the driver so my instructor at the time had me try it. It was not as hard as i thought it would be.

Driver has been out of the bag for the last three months. I have recently had my best scores ever without the driver.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mizuno CLK 2 hybrid has been a game changer. I now only use driver on one hole at my short home course (unless windy).

Sent from my BLA-A09 using Tapatalk

I do it from time to time. I did it today for 9 holes and shot 2 over. My course is very tight and if you miss the fairway you are dead most of the time. Being able to hit my 3 iron between 220-230 helps immensely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prior to the Titleist event this year, I took my old 910 out of my bag and just played with 3i down (didn't have any fairway woods at the time and I don't play hybrids). I did that for a couple weeks leading up to the event.

I did during the 2nd round of the Ben Hogan Experience. I couldn't hit water if I fell out of a boat, and my partner Tyler Brewton from Ben Hogan crushes the ball off the tee! Just piggybacked all day!

When hitting it on the screws had a literal meaning this made a lot of sense. But today the driver has a huge forgiving face and technology that makes it both the most forgiving and longest club in our bags. For most of us, the problem isn't the club, it's how we swing it.

I'm kind of with leftshot on this. I play without it sometimes, but it's just to change things up or because I'm playing with people from shorter tees. Definitely not for most of the reasons mentioned here. I've never understood the idea of finding the fairway or scoring better with a 3w. From my observations a couple inches less club and 5 degrees more loft isn't some magic solve for missing the fairway. And losing the forgiveness factor for it like leftshot said has never seemed like sound theory to me. If a landing area dictates it I'll happily tee a shorter club, but if the opportunity allows, my driver is in my hands. If I miss with it I'd likely have missed with the 3w and just be 35-40 yds further from the green for the effort.

Bunker Snot;n8883824 said:
My hot and cold driver can gain or lose 5 strokes in any given round, have you ever played a round and purposely not hit the driver (or even pulled it from your bag)? What were the results?

Lately? Every single round and I've knocked 1.4 strokes off my game.

Literally every round for >1 year - I now don't even own a driver.

Yeah, I'll leave it in the bag, or sometimes in the car. My home club is a shorter 9 hole par 35 course and driver (while fun) is not necessary.

The course has 4 300y par 4s that are daring you to go for it off the tee... and the greens are well protected by strategically placed tall grass.

My best scores on that course (36 is my all-time low) have come without the driver.

For a couple of months, after losing the head on my driver, I played a 3-wood from the tee. I could hood the face and hit low sweeping draws that went pretty far, or just play a normal cut for holes that didn't demand distance. I actually scored better than normal during those rounds.

Back