Do you trust that golf OEMs, publications, online sites, social media influencers?

Thrillbilly Jim

Raised On Hose Water And Neglect
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
A Lotter
This is something that I am always wondering! When that OEM launches the "latest & greatest" piece of equipment and they claim you will get added distance, reduced scores, surpasses the competing OEMs or previous years model performance... do you believe them? Or, do you chalk it up to marketing? Is it hype or reality?
With the huge online uproar over ball testing, ball manufacturing, etc., do you trust golf publications or online review/forum sites? Has the "pursuit of information" hurt the credibility of these magazines and sites? How do you pick and choose what information is valid and what is false?
Does a social media influencer influence your decisions when it comes to golf?
With all the information now available at our fingertips, I find it difficult in deciding what is true and what is false! But, I always come back to..."if it's too goo to be true...it probably is!" Would like to know your thoughts!

i believe most oems because the law can be used to punish them for false advertising. there are times when i have read the small print to realize the specific circumstances substantiating the claim are laughably irrelevant.

i am picky about golf “journalism” and social media. i despise bias. i despise clickbait. and i despise opinion offered as fact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I take all that with a grain of salt. I have brands I like, but if I hit a ball that feels better than I am playing, I try to find it. Started with Truvis, then regular CS, now I am working on SS, and Wilson Duo. I play what feels right. The ball testing from some other publications have been fun to watch but no matter how they state the numbers, comfort, and desire to play a ball will win out. Plus data can be skewed by anything that can be controlled. When looking through all the adverts and media on tv, web, or publications just forget it other than seeing if something new might have come out. Again, just play what feels good even if you have to buy a few loose balls at the pro shop.

The OEM and illegal advertising thing as McLovin said earlier, but I rarely believe hype. I rarely pay attention to social media or reviews. For example, when I got back into golf, most of the reviews for beginner womenÂ’s equipment were from advanced men, which struck me as quite odd. I had to learn to read between the lines.

IÂ’ve learned since then that the only way to know is for me to swing or play it. My swing is specific to me, so reviews or influencers or players swinging this club or that club really makes no never mind to me. I learn what equipment works for me.

DucatiGirl;n8884187 said:
IÂ’ve learned since then that the only way to know is for me to swing or play it..

Exactamundo.

I pretty well don't trust much but what I see said from other THPers here, and even then that will just drive me to try something more than anything else. I find the OEM claims and publication information entertaining. Most "influencers" I really couldn't care less.

Sure don't (speaking of OEM's and some sites that pimp certain brands). They are there to build hype and market the eff out of whatever they are pushing. Would much rather try all the options out there and see what works best.

Last edited:
I trust myself and our staff.

I trust people who demonstrate they are worth trusting and who lay their bias out there for all to see. The great thing about good today is there are a TON of great offerings, so it isn’t a lie to say most of it is good. The subtle differences and details are what I find fascinating.

I also trust people who clearly know their stuff. Lucky for me, the THP staff (other than me of course) really, really know their stuff. Heck, there are a lot of members here that I would blindly trust on some things.

Jman;n8884288 said:
I trust myself and our staff.

I would like to think that I've got a decent BS filter and trust my own instincts on most things, including golf, to manage the various media reports and find a conclusion that is right for me. To that point, THP and staff are pure gold.

I trust what I know to be true and that’s it. I rely on personal experience or history to dedicate what I play or don’t play.

As for social media influencer, that’s a negative.

Big nope

The beauty of the golf industry is that regardless of what an OEM, a website, or an influencer says you can go out and test things for yourself before purchasing.

It's not hard to spot aggressive marketing IMO. Always need to be discerning and run everything through your own personal BS-o-meter, but when all else fails test the product for yourself.

The best marketer almost always wins.

In the bowling world, the newest ball is going to strike more. Well, according to the manufacturers anyway. LOL

When in the market for a new bowling ball, I wait until I can try them out before laying down $200-$250 on a new one. Too many times I have bought one without having a chance to try it and it's either a a big fat dud or way over performs for the reason I am getting it in the first place.

I feel like most marketing is based in reality. They typically accentuate the good things about their products, and focus on those new components that they hope will revolutionize the game. So, all marketing has to be taken with a grain of salt, but each person just needs to look into the products themselves and see if they work for you.

no I do not. If I hear 2 people say the same phrase, I know it is canned and written by marketing dept.

Not really interested in anything so-called "influencers" have to say.

Nope. None of them. All they want is my money.

JB was in a really good podcast, think it was with Adam, a while back. He pulled back the curtain on OEM testing and in 99.9% of cases the claims made are backed up by OEM tests at a certain speed, etc. He did mention one particular case that wasn't quite Truth-ier and driven by marketing but that it was very rare.

I do trust a lot of testing sites, but not all. Sometimes agendas are extremely clear. I will say THP reviewers do a great job of putting aside any agenda. Reviews here are consistently fair to all OEMs.

Influencers, not a huge fan of most. Some are more transparent, but very few imho. Bryan golf put up a very good post recently - he's one of the few that comes off as honest.

I would say I'm reluctant to "trust" the hype of something new as being the latest and greatest. Whether it be from the OEM, Social Media, Publications, etc. The Social Media and Golf Publication aspect always seem to have a vested interest in what is being promoted so on that front they will tend to give glowing reviews.
If something intrigues me enough, I will research it, read reviews and try to get an overall feel. (that's what I love about THP, the unbiased reviews and opinions are a godsend).
Bottom Line, the best overall opinion for my game would be mine and there is no better way for me than to actually try it.

Great Question !

Back